Guest Post: Masterchef Australia – This Week’s Odds

Well there are less and less contestants as we get into the last legs of the competition. In my interview with Debra this morning which should be up this evening she said she thinks Andy has the goods to win.

As usual you can’t bet on these odds it is just a bit of fun.

Paul again has put together his weekly list – Thanks.

Here it is:

$3.50 : Audra, Mindy
$6.00 : Kylie
$9.00 : Julia
$12 : Andy, Alice
$21 : Ben, Wade
$34 : Beau

Mindy now equal favourite with Audra after an impressive last few weeks.
Kylie and Julia might be ones to watch for now with dessert challenger
more than likely as the show gets towards the end. I can’t really see any
of the remaining 5 winning to be honest

1 Sioux Denim { 07.13.12 at 5:51 pm }

Mindy has copped a bit of flack on this site – but I think from the get-go she has been the most determined and doesnt seem too concerned if people know that – IMO………….. just wondering though with her limited range would the MChef producers want another Asian influenced cook book – I suppose the same could be said for Audra – and El Toro Ben.

Kylie is your pretty, all-round wholesome girl – especially with the bouncy ponytail!! A youngin hsn’t won before – so that could be on the cards with Andy also in that wholesome category too!

Looking forward RR to your interview with Deb recap………

2 Morgan { 07.13.12 at 7:25 pm }

At this point it’s pretty much almost guarunteed Mindy will make Final 3. She has an immunity pin, plus she should be good enough to get through the last few weeks to the Finale. Audra will probably make it to the very end as well. Last spot might go to a guy, because of the judges/Shine’s agenda for a possible male winner.

3 Chunks { 07.13.12 at 11:42 pm }

Mindy, Audra and Kylie are the most consistently good cooks and probably the final three. Andy and Wade have improved in leaps and bounds but there aren’t enough weeks left for them to overtake the big three and Alice is just too flaky but could be an outside chance if she doesn’t blow her ammunity pin.

4 Jill { 07.14.12 at 12:28 am }

Went for dinner tonight and was told Debra is a very friendly salesperson with my friend’s company. My close friend fr Uni is still in architecture while I left the field almost seven years ago to work in the hospitality industry.

5 planb { 07.14.12 at 11:44 am }

The casting of fourteen women and ten ‘men’ would seem to indicate they don’t have any particular agenda for a male winner. It’s probably more a visual thing to have some vaguely attractive males around to near the end. It would be marvellous if one of them did a surprise overturn of the ruling females and won it.

6 AJ { 07.14.12 at 2:00 pm }

I like Mindy. Andy and Ben and Audra are my favourite contestants but I don’t want them to win. I want them to achieve their more chefly dreams than the whole cookbook shebang. I’m also looking forward to Andy and Ben’s Mexican restaurant which I hope they continue to build for. And because I love Andy so much, I don’t think I’d want to see him so overexposed. I think he and Ben would make fantastic chefs.

7 Jruth { 07.14.12 at 5:50 pm }

I’d probably put Alice a little higher up in the rankings, since she does have a pin, but otherwise I pretty much agree with the odds.

Does anyone know how long the pins last? Can they use them right up until finals week?

8 brain dead dave { 07.14.12 at 6:06 pm }

As far as I know, pins last forever and if $hine want you to win, they can always arrange another one just to be sure. If they don’t ,your pig impaling skills will be tested.

9 littlepetal { 07.14.12 at 6:08 pm }

It’s a bit of a problem with the pins now. Usually they can use it in the final week but this year the final week is from Sun to Tue with the Finale on Wed.

They should stop them from using the pins soon.

10 EH { 07.14.12 at 7:47 pm }

If the cooking demo is not a bad omen, then Andy is my pick. Otherwise, I like to see Beau win. It really doesn’t matter who I pick because Shine already selected their winner.

11 kess { 07.15.12 at 5:27 pm }

It’s kind of interesting, the 2 betting favourites are both really annoying. And if I want that kind of Asian fusion food I would buy Adams’book.
Kylie’s food is more interesting.
And the 2 nicest people Andy and Julia could last as the struggling underdogs.

12 littlepetal { 07.15.12 at 6:13 pm }

It’s interesting how our favourites changes with each week. I like Audra initially and wasn’t impressed with Julia. Now I do like Julia or Andy to win. Not that I will buy Julia’s cookbook but I like the way she performed on MC. No fake dramas. What you see is what you get.

I agree, we have enough Asian cookbooks. Mindy’s cookbook will not be better than Adam or Poh. Too many Malaysian, Thai and Vietnamese cookbooks.

13 Morgan { 07.15.12 at 6:21 pm }

I’ve always liked Julia, she always stayed true to herself.

As much as I like Mindy and I think she should win out of all them left (although I wouldn’t mind seeing Audra or Andy win either), her cookbook probably won’t stand out as much. Plus her Asian cooking style isn’t as interesting or unique as Poh or Adam’s. But she does have a great personality for TV so I can see her getting her own program after the show.

I can’t see Julia or Kylie (both are good cooks, though) win as we had a dessert specialist win just last year.

Sigh… I wish Amina was still there.

14 littlepetal { 07.15.12 at 6:37 pm }

I am not sure about Mindy being great for TV and we already have many presenters for Asian cooking.

15 kess { 07.15.12 at 7:17 pm }

Both Mindy & Audra – well it’s a case of the more you see the less you want to see. They both annoy the crap out of me and I initially rated them both as cooks, but neither have done anything special.
Right now I’m more impressed with Beau making that evil perfume dessert, and with Andy and Julia as people.
And I miss Amina, and TK

16 EH { 07.15.12 at 7:23 pm }

Too soon for another Asian/Fusion &  dessert cookbook. That rules out Audra, Mindy, Kylie & Julia.

My guess for the potential winner cookbooks:

Wade – Cooking with flavourful nuts
Ben – 100 ways with taco (credit to Littlepetal)
Beau – The essence of a bogan
Alice – Jewish cuisine for hipsters
Andy – who cares? As long as it is filled with pictures of the pretty boy (shirtless preferred), the cougar$ will rush to buy it.

I miss Amina too.

17 littlepetal { 07.15.12 at 8:12 pm }

Andy is the hero of tonight episode

18 Fran { 07.15.12 at 11:16 pm }

Why miss Amina?
Was she the ‘Multicultural’ contestant? The politically correct contestant? Or was Amina the pro refugee/boatperson/Muslim contestant?
Amina started strongly but finished badly. She peaked too early.
Would like to see the ‘Dessert Queen’ Julia get eliminated as well, as most of her recent dishes are Mastercrap.
As for the rest of the ‘blondes’ left… well if the 3 Fat Pigs continue to ogle at them as if they are a Vanilla Degustation Extravaganza… then ‘Shine’… they sure will and will join Julie Mediocre Goodwin on the pedestal.

19 Buyers Agent Sydney { 09.27.12 at 5:29 pm }

I just want to say keep it up..Your post plays an important role in the field of our business….:-)

20 Hearing Aids Sydney { 11.22.12 at 3:12 pm }

I really enjoy your post so much because you have shared so important information which is so helpful for us in the field of our business..:-)
Hearing Aids Sydney

21 Hearing Aids Sydney { 11.22.12 at 3:13 pm }

Hearing aids professionally fitted by our audiologists at St Vincents Hospital. Full service hearing aids and hearing tests for any degree of hearing loss.
Hearing Aids Sydney

22 Cynthia { 12.09.12 at 1:05 pm }

When is anyone going to realise that this is “made for TV”…TV. Do we REEEALLY think that it’s a bonifide, genuine competition that runs like a fair, and non-biased competition? You have judges helping some contestants and not others. That’s grounds for disqualification in any legitimate competition! Furthermore, it’s a highly edited, highly contrived semi scripted TV show and the fact we only see 20 minutes of what took 9 hours to produce….well….Id be keen to see the whole tape and everything that is cooked on the day. How do WE know that the 3 best were really the best? And how do WE know that the 3 worst tasted like they say it did? In fact, the judges can say things taste great when they don’t…and taste bad, when they’re excellent. They can eliminate or save any contestant, despite what they cooked and they’re told what to say from the producers. Oh please people…I’ve worked in TV far too long to believe any of that crap. Its drama, and made to muster up brand recognition to increase the value of the Masterchef brand. Viewers just fall for it because there is no honest disclosure from the production company of what really happens. You cant half tell the conveniently casted 24 contestants mysteriously represent a different sector In the community? do you identify with Beau the Bogan, Kylie trhe all rounder Aussie good girl, Andy, the cougar bait, Alice the Jewish hipster, Lydia the Italian Nigella, Kevin the Canadian (gay) rugby player and Mindy the (gay) glamazon (note 1 gay cpntestant of each gender thank you). How about Debra the health nut yoga guru (1 in each series…) and Kath the…the…the…”I eat tripe and every car ass head to toe” (note: 1 in every series)…… Guys….the show is not real. I ban my kids from watching it because its based on pure editing. Crap TV in my opinion.