Masterchef Australia – The Zumbo Challenge

Last night Masterchef Australia morphed into Sweet Genius (a bizarre show on Lifestyle Food) with teams of two having to make a dessert like creation that would not be out of place on a Baz Lurhman film set.

But first one of the seven remaining contestants had the opportunity to go straight into finals week if they made the best French inspired dessert in sixty minutes. Julia and Kylie were thrilled as they knew they had the advantage in this challenge.

Ben was never in with a chance of winning as he made Chipotle and Chocolate Parfait with Butter Croutons. The parfait looked like something that would be found on the streets of Paris but when was Chipotle a French inspired ingredient. Gary said “His croutons were good”. Which meant the rest must have been ordinary.

Mindy was another one whose dish was using more Asian style ingredients than French. She made Burnt Custard with Lemongrass and Galangal. Matt Preston basically called it a mess.

Julia’s  Cafe Opera did not look as good as Rocco’s from this years My Kitchen Rules. However she did only have sixty minutes to make it. Gary said it was good cooking.

Andy made Rosemary Cream which collapsed and was described as puddle pie by the judges. Gary Mehigan had a good point when he queried why Andy had listened to a food critic aka Matt Preston, instead of a chef when seeking advice on getting the cream out of the tin.

Kylie was in tears when she was told her Salted Caramel Mille Fieulle did not have enough texture. She did not even make top three, which must have felt a tad humiliating.

Alice’s Floating Islands with Creme Anglais looked amazing and must have been very unlucky not to win, but Audra’s Chocolate Frangipane Tart with the Poached Pear looked like the dish that should have won the Masterchef Magazine cover.

She was put into final’s week and was told she also got to pick the teams for the following challenge.

Then it was Zumbo time with Andy and Ben looking like all their nightmares had become real when they saw the towering cake creation he wheeled in.

He said it was  a French Pastissier Marie-Antoine Careme inspired masterpiece. Surprisingly Careme was around prior to the acid inspired 60’s or indeed the Lewis Carroll, Alice In Wonderland opium den times.

Fortunately they did not have to replicate Zumbo’s. They had to be inspired by it, and they six hours to cook and two hours the following day to build it. It would then be presented to six of the best pastry chefs in the country.

It was interesting how Audra picked the teams. Clearly she thought Mindy is the one to beat as she place her and Andy together both not strong in cakes. The other teams were Julia and Alice, and Kylie and Ben.

Julia’s team made a cake base, topped by a macron tower topped with and sugar box filled with choux pastry. It looked good, it was just a pity the sugar box was not perfect.

The judges were as Matt Preston described them the “Ocean’s Eleven of pastry”, they were Kirsten Tibballs, Dean Gibson, Vincent Gaden, Alistair Wise, Darren Purchase, Phillip Sibley and Matt Moran who started as a pastry chef.

Kylie gave them a groupies welcome, gushing how they were her rock stars, not a bad strategy as the pastry chef’s are normally the folk singers of the chef world. They lapped it up.
Mindy and Andy did the opposite and made fondant effigy’s of the Matt, George and Gary. They made them naked and rotund something they may not wanted to really see in real life.
However even though their Paris Hat Box creation looked quite good the judges did not bother sugar coating about the flavour and they were never going to win.
Julia and Alice’s macarons received great feedback there was some debate about the sugar box on top, however Dean Gibson really liked it. I thought their cake at the bottom looked a little dry but that was not mentioned, also maybe there should have been more raspberries in it to make it more extravagant.
Ben and Kylie’s Dalek creation was based on a dress in the times of Marie-Antoinette, and I think where they won over the judges was that there were eleven elements to the structure including a mini croquembouche which Careme apparently created.
It was no surprise when Ben and Kylie were told they were through to the final week, and Julia wept with disappointment and no one would blame her as at this point of the competition it meant Kylie currently held the dessert queen crown.

1 brain dead dave { 07.19.12 at 11:14 pm }

J $tar~Tequila Slammers~because Beige Ben’s sphincter will be slamming when he has to leave Andy.

Thanks Marepoppin~ I’m just a bastard ,really.

2 Andy Pandy { 07.19.12 at 11:24 pm }

Oh well@203, thats as clear as mud! Goodnight.

3 brain dead dave { 07.19.12 at 11:28 pm }

Reality Rodent~It’s only confusing if you’ve got the brains of a sheep and had half a beer.

4 JStar { 07.19.12 at 11:30 pm }

RR, also some stock standard questions for Alice and every other contestant you get to interview later. What was her favourite challenge? What was her least favourite? Who was her favourite judge? Who was her favourite guest judge? Who did she get along best with? Who she thinks should win and who she thinks will win? Sum up her cooking prior to MasterChef in three words. Sum up her cooking after being on MasterChef in three words. And ofcourse the all important – who hooked up in the house?

5 brain dead dave { 07.19.12 at 11:38 pm }

I was wrong…you haven’t got the brains of a sheep, Dutchie.

6 Reality Razor { 07.19.12 at 11:42 pm }

BDD, apology accepted.

7 Chris W { 07.19.12 at 11:45 pm }

RR: Please ask Alice in a typical week how much time is spent in the house and what they do for entertainment. As it’s previously been reported that they get censored newspapers with bits cut out and are only allowed brief supervised phone calls, I assume they’re not allowed access to the Internet or TV (except DVDs), and it would get boring. I believe they have lots of cookbooks (which some contestants appear to have made more use of than others!), but you can’t cook 24/7. In other words, what stops them going loco and getting on each others nerves with so little privacy!

Also, she didn’t look surprised or emotional when she was eliminated. Did she believer her dish wasn’t up to scratch?

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

8 Chunks { 07.19.12 at 11:54 pm }

Dear god, the level of conversation here is degenerating by the post! RR, why didn’t you tell us you were making an appearance on A Current Atrocity tonight? I only caught you because I was flipping through channels waiting for MC and spotted Jay. Thought you did very well and was astounded that it wasn’t the usual competitor bashing that they do on those shows.

Once again the right person went I think, even though I really like Alice and will miss her.

9 Cheryl { 07.20.12 at 12:02 am }

Ben isn’t the better looking brother….but they sounded almost exactly the same

10 Marepoppin { 07.20.12 at 12:08 am }

What? How did anyone read that post and think I said bdd had it off with Minnie mouse???? As long as bdd gets it, and he does, then I am done with explanations. After all #yolo and I cannot spend another second explaining myself

11 Chunks { 07.20.12 at 12:10 am }

BDD, am curious as to why Ben is assumed to be the bottom in the MC bromance. I notice that’s also the case in the fan fiction. Is it his Helen Shapiro ‘do?

12 Reality Razor { 07.20.12 at 12:17 am }

Chunks, first you are concerned about the level of the conversation on here and then you come up with your silly bromance question.
Do you have different standards after midnight?

13 brain dead dave { 07.20.12 at 12:23 am }

That’s not what I meant,Chunks and I’m not familiar with the fan fiction at all.

Sphincter slamming is an expression that indicates extreme fear, much like ass puckering as the term is used in the FBI( Not eye puckering as provided by Jowl$y tonight, either.)

ie “My sphincter started slamming when I saw Jowl$y open my fridge”

In a nutshell, I was suggesting that Ben would be extremely fearful of having to part with Andy, come culling time..

Ben has “Emily” tattooed on his arm and I expect him to pursue and rekindle that romance as suggested in the Woman’s Day spoiler.

Back to the Tour de France. Sorry about that.

14 Ari { 07.20.12 at 12:25 am }

@Chunks – Is he really considered the bottom?
Maybe I was too busy gushing reading the fanfiction I wouldn’t notice. Maybe it’s because when we saw Andy in the elimination challenge, Ben was just hoping to himself and he was more sensitive. And when Ben’s in elimination Andy was more pushy and aggressive but in a really sexy way (to me anyway).

But I tend not to over gush over the shipping. I love them together too (and I have a massive infatuation with Andy but let’s not go there). Reading them would be a little creepy since they’re real life blokes and all. But whatever.

15 Jinx { 07.20.12 at 2:12 am }

Honestly, it was obvious that Alice was going home from the start. I don’t get the sense that the judges liked her quirkiness or for that matter understood her decisions. loved her and the red specs – who would’ve thought that she would be dating such a quiet duuuuuuuude.

As for Minday – yuck. I want to gnaw my wrists to bits when she starts talking. she hasn’t been outside her beauuutiful comfort zone much and her “supprised look” initiates instant gag reflexes.

Producers trying to milk Bendy with Ben’s commentary – really?! Add a crying OTT mom and you have your show made.

Anybody else notice that the judges could also use a descriptive dictionary? A mushroom mousse tasting ‘mushroomy’ (btw not the fisrt time they’ve done that)

Rooting for Julia, may the Robot Dessert Queen triumph!

16 Maz { 07.20.12 at 8:56 am }

RR, Questions for Alice
1. The judges were quite dimissive of your cultural cuisine (MC mag cover) and Amina always having to recontextualise hers as Japanese. Do you think the judges really disliked it or the producers couldn’t see a viable cookbook market for it? (As there are still world cuisines that have never been featured in four years of MC)
2. Do you play the piano? And will you and Julia be releasing a compliation anytime soon :)