Masterchef Australia – We Have Our Finalists

It was family day on Masterchef Australia where the family of the remaining contestants arrive to be cooked for. It is cheesy but damn it gets me every single time.

Of course a lot of interest centred around Andy’s mother and the Channel Seven show Please Marry My Boy must be now trying to sign the pair up. Mindy’s father who is a cook in the defence force was there, as were Audra’s husband and children. Julia’s husband came as did Alice’s boyfriend. Ben and Kylie’s siblings were there as well.

After a ten minute intro where they were milking it for the tears (it worked), they were told the challenge was their family member was going to request the dish they had been missing but the contestants would have to show how they had improved in their cooking skills.

Andy’s mum picked lamb with potato and a pine nut mousse. She looked like she had no idea what pine nuts were.  Andy also looked a bit perplexed at the request saying “She’s the reason I went in it and she could be the reason I go out!”.

Mindy’s father request was “We lived as a family in Malaysia so I would love her to cook me a Thai dish”. She cooked a sophisticated Red Duck Curry.

Julia’s husband wanted her Lemon Syrup Cake with Ice Cream. She said they never have ice-cream with cake but they obviously needed to add some elements to make it more complex. The Lemon Cake was a little bit similar to what she made in the Masterchef home kitchen challenge. Not that it should matter as there have many derivatives of tacos and thai dishes this series.

Alice revealed they rarely had the same thing twice in their household and again was a little bit surprised when her partner said he would like the a spicy Sunday Roast. Please note he did not request tongue.

Alice ended up making a lamb fillet cooking it in the sous vide and pan frying it and was also cooked some lamb shanks. This was an issue they were huge and they were never going to cook in the 90 minutes allocated.

What was great about this challenge is the judges went around giving advice and being helpful, clearly they wanted to be seen to be nice in front of the family and also ensure the dishes worked out. This time Alice did listen to the judges advice about cutting up the shank to cook it.

Andy ended up making  Roast Lamb Rack with Mushroom Mousse, pine nut veloute and Potato Gallette with Red Wine Jus. He ditched the pine nut veloute and burnt his first lot of gallette’s. He thought they were OK until George told him otherwise.

What he plated up did not look that great and it was a small serve, as Gary said he thought it needed something else. His mum thought it was perfect.  The lamb was perfectly cooked however the judges thought the red wine sauce did not need to be there.

Mindy made Crispy Skin Duck with a Red Curry Sauce and she never looked liked she was ever in trouble. It looked delicious. Also she made rice with fish floss. George loved the rice, whilst Gary cleared the plate. The only criticism was the duck could have been cooked longer and whether the leg was the right part to use.

It was a bit strange that Julia’s dessert was served before Alice’s lamb but it was well received and the cake was moist, but would she have done enough to get her through compared to the complexities of the other dishes.

Alice’s plate was the opposite of Andy’s it had a lot going on.  Alice’s lamb looked tough in fact her partner Nick looked like he was having trouble swallowing it. However he made sure he told the judges that he thought it was delicious. Yes they were all nice about it.

In the end it was no surprise that Mindy’s dish was the best of the day and Alice was eliminated. All the way to the end she was smiling back into the arms of her hipster friends and family.

She is currently writing a book about food for children and plans on getting a bus to drive around the country educating children about food. Maybe in the future we will see Alice hosting a kids cooking show on our screens. Hats or glasses off to her she was certainly one of the more interesting contestants this year.

The final six are Audra, Kylie, Ben, Andy, Mindy and Julia.

1 brain dead dave { 07.21.12 at 10:14 pm }

You’ll be deleted pronto , troll. Would be if you could be.

We know, JLo. You’re no loser.

Garbage in~ garbage out.

2 Marepoppin { 07.21.12 at 10:21 pm }

What’s wrong with rr’s cake jlo?

3 Georgie { 07.21.12 at 10:22 pm }

I’d look for a mousse in a mousse hole or a mousse trap. I’d look for a troll in a sewer pipe or a septic tank.

Post #204 is not me – troll.

I also suspect #205 is not Marepoppin either.

4 JLo { 07.21.12 at 10:22 pm }

Trolls!!

5 brain dead dave { 07.21.12 at 10:22 pm }

# 204 won’t be Georgie,either.

6 Marepoppin { 07.21.12 at 10:25 pm }

Why bdd?

7 brain dead dave { 07.21.12 at 10:26 pm }

#209 is the troll.

More trash to take out. Woken up from your drunken stupor,little fella..

8 Marepoppin { 07.21.12 at 10:27 pm }

Thought I would check the validity of the poster before I bothered answering lol

9 Georgie { 07.21.12 at 10:29 pm }

No more from me tonight. Any posts under my name from here won’t be mine. Night all.

10 Carls { 07.21.12 at 10:29 pm }

Sad Alice left, really grew to like her. Did a quick google search to find said photo of Alice without glasses and on Mangoes World there’s a big section on her. Even with glasses, she’s stunning in this photo: http://mangoesworld.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/651_112535265297_7457_n.jpg

11 Purple Bitch { 07.21.12 at 10:46 pm }

Cause turds get flushed that’s why go back to the septic tank turd.

12 Ari { 07.21.12 at 11:02 pm }

Based on the producer thing, the judges said that the show was back to basics, so while lots of contestants were cast because of basic food knowledge, the judges said that the show allowed people who are enthused by cooking to improve as the show progresses.

Either way, I’m not complaining that Ben and Andy are still in the competition. Top blokes, would rather see them win and I do believe in them. I prefer them over Mindy or Kylie to be perfectly honest. But they have improved a lot. They just don’t APPEAR to have the type of food knowledge by other people.

13 littlepetal { 07.21.12 at 11:17 pm }

RR-I hope you did make a beauutiiful cake for the young Master. Don’t worry, it’s not going to raining. I have connection up there.

14 JStar { 07.22.12 at 5:37 am }

Been sick the last few days so what did I miss? Seems like some sort of Mossad spy mission with stolen identities, new nom de plumes, and (character) assassinations from what I can gather. Truth is stranger than fiction.

15 Georgie { 07.22.12 at 7:55 am }

Hahaha – troll has been revealed. Previously posting as Reality Ranter, Razor, Eraser as well as Another Adelaide Bogan and several attacks as Anonymous.

Dubbed SOOTI, the Supreme Overlord Of The Internet, by bdd and me a few months ago, this cretin accused us of being guard dogs.

Ever wonder why guard dogs are necessary cretin? I told you a couple of nights ago that bdd was a mirror – so take a long hard look in it cretin!

I now pronounce you ‘Septic SOOTI’ or SS from here on in.

16 Georgie { 07.22.12 at 9:17 am }

Some people like a laugh occasionally but you get your rocks off by causing trouble – so it appears you’re the only one who makes a big deal out of things SS.

You must have a sad and lonely life poor thing, if this behaviour is what you resort to for entertainment.

17 Georgie { 07.22.12 at 9:40 am }

SS – “trust me, I don’t make a big deal out of anything”.

Excuse me while I rofl please. Well WTF do you keep causing trouble based on some vigilante principle?

I get the impression you are lonely and starved of conversation – you’ve been trying very hard to engage me in an exchange for months now, under many different names.

As for getting up early, where do you live – Perth?

18 Troll { 07.22.12 at 10:06 am }

Sorry to burst your bubble but I am not particularly interested in you on this site. I’ll see how I can change that perception.
Brrr…porridge, that would keep me in bed for the rest of the week!

19 Georgie { 07.22.12 at 10:19 am }

Thanks for the chat SS and have a lovely day. I’m quite happy to talk with you anytime as long as you’re pleasant and reasonable and I find the topic interesting enough.

20 Georgie { 07.22.12 at 10:31 am }

SS – so was that your address to the nation for today?

21 Marepoppin { 07.22.12 at 11:56 am }

Note to self: dont read this forum before going to bed. I dreamt about you last night bdd! Instead of the acerbically-witted middle aged man I think you are, you were a long-haired teenager with a big party house and a penchant for pot… Very strange. Who knows how much weirder it would have gotten if my darling 3yo hadn’t started screaming at me at 5:45am….

22 lulu { 07.22.12 at 1:10 pm }

Is it wrong to think this is actually pretty funny?

23 lulu { 07.22.12 at 1:53 pm }

Mmm, I understand, and it’s a guilty pleasure because it’s born out of an unpleasant situation – however, the insult-hurling has been topnotch.

24 Marepoppin { 07.22.12 at 2:09 pm }

Bdd: I refuse to dream about you anymore if you’re not even going to acknowledge it when I do!

25 brain dead dave { 07.22.12 at 2:15 pm }

Thanks btw Marepoppin for relating your experience in #243. I don’t know what to say. That was like me then,so not so strange really.

I was preparing my my answer as you posted. I do care, y’know. Just waiting for the troll to pass out.

26 Reality Raver { 07.22.12 at 6:50 pm }

I have removed most of the troll comments and the ongoing conversation it involved due to the fact it probably did not interest the majority readers on the site.

Obviously no one takes any notice – but no personal attacks on other people. And if you don’t like the don’t engage with them.

27 Clean Away { 07.22.12 at 6:50 pm }

Oopss…it looks like BDD has brought in Reality Eraser to clean up this place….

28 Troll { 07.22.12 at 6:52 pm }

RR, thanks for not being selective this time.

29 Georgie { 07.22.12 at 6:59 pm }

RR I made a comment at 11:11pm last night asking you to remove #173 and 175 that were made in my name but weren’t me and wishing Master 4 a good day today. That comment has just been removed but 173/175 are still up there.

30 Reality Raver { 07.22.12 at 7:24 pm }

Sorry Georgie I thought I had taken them down last night. Thanks for the good wishes for Master 4. All very exhausted and sugared up. BTW where you live sounds fantastic, fresh honey, wood burning stoves. Maybe you should start a retreat like Debra.

31 brain dead dave { 07.22.12 at 7:26 pm }

I’ve paid for my television set and the electricity that goes into it.

If something appears on the screen that is an affront to good culture, I’ll comment as best I can. It’s all in the archives~ along with the hysterical reactions of my detractors.

There are worse things happening in the world than a blogger reacting to and assessing programs that are the apotheosis of kitsch, believe it or not. Take note, moral crusaders and thought police.

That folks are just waiting around, hoping to be outrageously offended by that has always been a great mystery to me, but thanks for reading anyway and maintaining an interest in the number of posts I make. What interesting lives you must have.

32 Georgie { 07.22.12 at 7:31 pm }

All good RR and hope the rain held off. Thanks, it’s a lovely part of country to live. I have no desire to share my retreat though, or it will cease to be one for me.