The Shire – Trashy and Cheesy, But Slightly Mesmerising

If you are expecting an anthropological look at a microcosm of a sub culture in Australia then you are watching the wrong channel.

It is trashy semi-scripted, OK nearly fully scripted TV but it is not pretending to be something its not. I am like a deer in headlights with it. I know I should get out of the way but I am transfixed.

What happened tonight?

Beckaa made an analogy about her being Luke Skywalker and her father being Darth Vader – which meant she was probably shocked when he said “I am your father”… If her father is going to spend the money on a BMW convertible maybe he could flick her  few quid to fix her dodgy hair extensions.

Also Beckaa’s father Tony keeps on banging on about education but if you treat someone like a doll she is going to act like one. Her ambition is to enter pageants, however I think she really wants to a Playboy Pet, and she probably would not be opposed to being Hugh Hefners new girlfriend, as she is used to creepy older men.

Sophie and Vernesa are the comic relief of The Shire, they were trying to promote that the fat working machine saying it worked on them, probably not realising it was the fact they don’t eat that was keeping them slim.

They like champagne which was really Great Western, but who cares bubbles make them happy, and boys like them because they dance. Maybe it was the fact it was in short tight lycra and the writhing near poles that was getting them attention.

New character Kerry the manager of Beach Hut goes out with Matty. He’s a bit of an ocker, but then she seemed to think that putting up a massage table and having some guy getting his underarms waxed in that establishment was amusing so maybe they are a perfect match. His two best mates don’t think so and keep on being negative about her. They think they are losing a friend, but maybe he is just looking for an excuse to get away from their sexism.

The Mitch and Gabby plot line continued at a snails pace, I am not sure how long they are going to be able to draw out the “tension”. His mum would like her as a daughter-in-law, and Gabby and her brother Tyrone had a mono-syllabic conversation about a possible reconciliation.

In the end Mitch texted Gabby telling her he needed to talk to her, I don’t think he saw the irony in that.

1 Sarah { 07.24.12 at 12:10 am }

I really really enjoyed tonight’s episode. I have to say I’m absolutely hooked on The Shire. I know a lot of critics bagged it, but to be honest I don’t think they understood the genre. I think this is far superior to The Hills and Towie.

I wish it was on every night!

2 Shelsta78 { 07.24.12 at 12:12 pm }

Well RR I’m back and have now managed to catch up on Le Shoire.

As a resident I have to say, it’s actually pretty funny. Reminiscent of the early days of MTVs ‘The Real OC’ and ‘The Hills’.

The boys in the Mitch group of friends certainly reflect the local breed of male, as do Matty’s friends who drive around in a Valiant honking the car horn at girls (if they’d added them honking at anyone that looked slightly different with a shout of ‘poofta’ then I’d be prepared to call the show a documentary) and trying to break up their mate’s relationship.

Sophie & Vernassa – the only query I had was – which nightclub were they at when they were ‘dancing’ because it’s not one I’ve every been into, unless they’ve recently renovated Biggles (not sure what it’s currently called) and I didn’t know…

It could have been filmed anywhere in Sydney – as it’s not really about Le Shoire, but regardless as a Dramality, it’s watchable and I got a few laughs – if they had of cast Bingle in it, I think they could have saved themselves some money and got better ratings rather than having the two shows – she’d fit right in.

3 Exessex { 07.24.12 at 8:46 pm }

This is my latest much watch tv. It’s completely trashtastic, and I’m hooked! Someone please give the two bogan beauticians their own show. They are by far the high lights of the show

4 Kate { 07.24.12 at 10:23 pm }

I’m a feminist but I have to say I’m with exesessex. Give soph and vernessa a sho….l I think they are hilarious good on em

5 Anonymous { 07.25.12 at 8:40 am }

Can I just clarify something, you identify as a feminist and you enjoy watching Sophie and Vernesa. I have to say I’m a little confused.

6 The shire is not in Portlandia { 08.07.12 at 11:26 pm }

hi kate- agree those 2 girls are brilliant- give them their own show. has anyone ever watched portlandia- you can find sketches on you tube- look for the feminist bookshop skits. Sophia and Vernessa are the antithesis of the carrie and fred’s feminist bookshop owners. i can imagine a sketch where somehow sophia and vernessa walk into their shop….!!! you must all look up portlandia and laugh at the contrast…