Andy Allen Wins Masterchef Series Four

There must be something in the culinary waters of NSW as it yet again produced the Masterchef winner. Andy Allen the electrician from Maitland has won series four.

At the beginning of the episode he declared “he could not cook” before he came on the show. Maybe Masterchef Australia is an express pass apprenticeship as he appears to have learnt or “grown” a lot.

Tonight he was in the final with Audra and Julia. The first challenge of the evening was to cook a hot entree for thirty five Masterchef fans. Andy cooked Tuna with Squid Ink and Cauliflower Puree, Julia cooked her take on roast beef, and Audra did Ma Hor.

Gary and George queried whether Julia’s dish was going to be an entree or a main, also Audra’s dish was more a salad than a hot dish.

The contestants got to pick two of the former contestants to help them plate up. Julia picked Mindy and Kylie, Audra selected TK and Amina, and Andy picked Ben and Beau. Interestingly Mindy was yelling down from the balcony to assist Audra.

Julia’s entree scored the highest points so she was safe, and it was Audra who was sent to the balcony. A few points must have been knocked off for her dish not fitting the brief, and also it was chilli hot and that never goes down well with George.

The second challenge was to invent a new Australian dish. Andy re-invented the seafood platter and Julia made smoke lamb with lemon myrtle potatoes. Again Julia was asked whether she was being inventive enough, something they did not ask Andy.

Unfortunately for her the lamb was raw and inedible. She was lucky to get a seven from each judge to keep her in touch with the now leading Andy. Matt Preston loved Andy’s modern seafood platter so much he gave it a ten.

The dessert was Christine Mansfield take on a Golden Gaytime. Unfortunately for Julia she did not deliver on it and again Andy won and therefore was anointed the winner.

He wins $100,000 and a cookbook deal, but apparently he has a deal with Ben to give him half the prize money.

Julia was given $15,000 to help set up her shop, and also Adriano Zumbo offered her a paid apprenticeship. She did accept it, however it will be interesting to see how that goes in the future.

Andy will be a popular winner, but did the best cook win, I don’t think so. But in Masterchef you are only as good as your last dish.

1 A.P { 07.26.12 at 1:32 pm }

Love you JStar, in my mind you are the greatest musical composer in the world! Now hurry up and do your Survivor final recap!

2 Georgie { 07.26.12 at 1:33 pm }

Paul, #386 – “Calling a black person a ‘n**ger’ for example is not acceptable. But the argument I’m getting here is that if one person finds that acceptable , then we should all sit back and cop it.”

Yes the term ‘n**ger’ is offensive, however it’s okay for dark skinned people to use it.

You used the term ‘retarded’ in one of your posts the other day – if that’s okay then I assume you’re retarded!

If comments made on this blog are ‘criminal’ as you put it, then the law should be alerted. If there’s an avenue available to deal with this sort of behaviour on the Internet, why haven’t you initiated action yet instead of dripping away like Chinese water torture? (Is it okay to use the word Chinese there? Not sure…)

3 Reality Raver { 07.26.12 at 1:37 pm }

joseph – tang and oreos – gross

4 JLo { 07.26.12 at 1:39 pm }

No, RR. It is more that I strongly feel there is a different standard on what we can or cannot say or what we can or cannot do on this blog.

1. We have told us to repect Paul on his guest post but in return he shows us no respect to us at all but you did not say a word about him.

2. We were having fun using google translator during one of the Saturday but we were being told off. But the same was not applied to Paul with his repeated offensive behavior.

3. Whenever Paul is picking a fight, we were told to ignore him. Whenever we try to defend ourselves, we were told not to bait.

4. At the end, I do not know what I should write, how I should behave. So it is best I back off.

As always, I love you blog and I have always supported you and will always continue to be.

5 JLo { 07.26.12 at 1:40 pm }

RR, my response to you has gone to spam.

6 Culinary Boner { 07.26.12 at 1:42 pm }

Woo hoo!!!
Over 400 comments without once needing to mention Altiyan Childs
*fists the air*

7 Georgie { 07.26.12 at 1:43 pm }

Lol CB – just goes to show we’re better ranters than the culties.

8 JStar { 07.26.12 at 1:47 pm }

@A.P. – HAHA. Thanks for that! But we all know that Dimples is the real musical thief when it comes to writing his “poetry.” 😛

Sending penultimate episode to RR tonight and have marked down to complete finale soon….well, at least by Monday to allow stragglers to watch the repeat on Go his Sunday at a more tv-friendly viewing hour!

9 brain dead dave { 07.26.12 at 2:31 pm }

I didn’t call Claire a slut. Paul is lying. Let him prove it. Don’t hold your breath.

10 Reality Raver { 07.26.12 at 2:39 pm }

OK everyone lets move on have fun with Masterchef All-Stars which starts tonight! Hopefully BDD you will stay.

11 Culinary Boner { 07.26.12 at 2:51 pm }

Raver, can you do us a quick preview post on All Stars naming the teams and the contestants (better leave out the nicknames).

It will help me know who I’m rooting for other than Badenoch.

Welcome back, bdd.

12 lulu { 07.26.12 at 3:02 pm }

Omg.
Like the Austrian ‘roid said, ‘I’ll be barrck.’ bdd just needs a little cajoling – has only temporarily succumbed to this war of attrition. Just like the contestants ‘ signed up for it’ … with all the ensuing compliments and insults … so did we, effectively. If we choose to post on a blog, we have to expect views contrary to ours – even an insult or two. This stuff is not for the faint-hearted.
Unless it’s AP, Daze or Ari, Ari, adorable as ever.

Georgie #335, agree re the passive-aggressive, giveth with one hand, taketh .. etc mentality. Quite clever, really and a standard attention-seeker’s tactic.
JLo – you’re fabulous, a mine of info.; really enjoyed your (&the ‘brains trust’) account of holidaying in China, the food etc….yes, I actually read it! Very interesting.
Bruiser Brody – hear, hear. And I love ‘Legohead!’ One of the funniest ever – who coined that?

So bdd, forze! Show some Anzac spirit … ‘You’re a better man than …Gunga Din’ … ‘We shall fight them on the beaches …’
ok, enough with the military references.

btw Paul, he didn’t only have a go at women … he had a go at you too, right? ….. unless ..

13 lulu { 07.26.12 at 3:04 pm }

Oh, just saw bdd’s back already – and after all the effort I went to.
Haha, my bad.

Season 3
Kate Bracks (1st)
Dani Venn (4th)
Hayden Quinn (6th)
Kumar Pereira (11th)

15 Culinary Boner { 07.26.12 at 3:16 pm }

If I recall correctly it was segments of the official media, more so than blogs or thems that posts on blog forums, that when commenting on Claire W-B’s somewhat interesting love life gave her the official title of “homewrecker”

Guess these are the same people calling out Liesel Jones for having the audacity to masquerade the body of a Saturday morning swimming lesson mother’s group member as an elite, high-performance athlete. Bloody criminals.

*Cringes, expecting slap from Raver. Grins guiltily and starts making up story about being bitten by the Trolling Bug, a distant cousin of the Gambling Bug*

16 Daze { 07.26.12 at 3:22 pm }

well said lulu re Anzac spirit, “we shall fight them on the beaches” etc ‘cept I think that was Churchill – but whatever, we are all different and I’ve had a lot of entertainment from my invisible friends on this site. Thank u too, for your compliment

17 Culinary Boner { 07.26.12 at 3:25 pm }

Many thanks JS…
So thems I am cheering for are:
Poh Ling Yeow
Chris Badenoch
Justine Schofield
Jonathan Daddia
Marion Grasby
Kumar Pereira

18 Reality Raver { 07.26.12 at 3:26 pm }
19 lulu { 07.26.12 at 3:33 pm }

Yeh Daze, ‘the beaches’ was Churchill, Gunga Din is Kipling, Anzac spirit is just oft’ quoted. And to you, a pleasure.

I hope Julia’s having a good day.

20 A.P { 07.26.12 at 3:35 pm }

Thanks LULU, I’m not all that adorable really, I’ve said things on here too that I wish I hadn’t just like all of us, but like Daze said, we are like a family who fights and breaks up and hopefully kiss and make up!
$TAY BDD and JLO!

21 lulu { 07.26.12 at 3:46 pm }

I’m sure they will as they should know they are much-loved here.
Majority rules.

22 Culinary Boner { 07.26.12 at 3:55 pm }

Bloody hell –
Someone on this site has already got to Po

23 Daze { 07.26.12 at 4:16 pm }

Good One CB ! lol
Love makes the world go round (old hippy saying) and then there is hate – John Lennon’s slayer, 9/11, recent shooting at Batman movie, Port Arthur………
Peace, now where are my incense sticks

24 Gillian { 07.26.12 at 4:16 pm }

@JLo – RE post 390. If possible, I would not like to be brought into your discussions. I try and be fair to everyone and speak my mind.

I’m sorry if you have a problem with that but it’s your problem, not mine. I don’t like to be told that I have ‘bullish manners’ or like to have words put into my mouth.

I don’t always appreciate what you have written but I choose not to comment and ignore what you have posted. I’ll ask you politely to do the same so there are no further ‘misunderstandings’.

25 JaniceG { 07.26.12 at 6:41 pm }

RR: Sorry, was offline for a while. Yes, the beefcake photo was the Australian men’s swim team. I was already planning to watch the Olympics swimming competitions but now I’m definitely going to make it a point to do so :->

26 dd { 07.26.12 at 6:49 pm }

Hi RR,

Thanks so much for the recaps of Masterchef.

QUESTION FOR JULIA
Sorry, needed caps in case you’re over reading comments on this post.

I’m intrigued by her studies. She spent 8 years at uni. She was going to pursue a PhD (as someone with a PhD, I’m interested in people’s studies). What exactly did she study? Did she get a music/languages degree (plus honours) and then pursue other subjects that she didn’t graduate in? Or did she do a masters as well?

I really wanted Julia to win, but knew that it was destined for Andy. I did love how she gave the least impressive versions of her dessert to G and G. Haha, no love lost there.

27 lulu { 07.26.12 at 6:59 pm }

Is dd prefaced by a ‘b?’ If so, :)

28 dd { 07.26.12 at 7:20 pm }

lulu, I think not. We have very different tones!

29 Marepoppin { 07.26.12 at 8:18 pm }

That was exhausting.
Paul, get off your high horse. No one hates you, we just don’t like being policed.
BDD, don’t take your ball and go home, that’s a bit childish even for you.
JLo needs to stay, if only to spill the beans on the finale feed she attended
Alright. MCA. Julia should have won.

30 Chris W { 07.27.12 at 12:10 am }

Don’t know if anyone’ll read this at #430, but for what its worth I’ll add my two bits on BDD vs Paul.

I found this blog a little after the start of Season 4 and was immediately noted that the one-liners that got most laughs were by BDD. Occasionally he went over the top to the point of being offensive, but I just ignored those ones. Heck, even Fawlty Towers, the greatest sit-com ever made, has the odd tasteless joke.

In the “Audra Was Very Lucky Thread” I included a non-serious suggestion that there should be a separate thread for Paul and the Troll that perhaps should have had more of an explanation. My observation is that when BDD gets cheesed off, the ratio of trash to gems becomes very high. A classic example was “The fake orange zit farm failed to cook a barra. Game over, moll.” (#37 on “Audra Was Very Lucky”), which is the sort of thing one might hear in a school yard.

Then we have one of Paul’s responses including the word “retard” which I doubt that I’ve heard much of since school years either.

Paul’s expectation that people shouldn’t say things to people that they wouldn’t say to their faces is unrealistic. Letter pages in newspapers have always been full of criticism of people in the public eye saying things that are impolite. Having said that, nasty comments such as previously mentioned aren’t acceptable.

Reality television pretty much requires leaving the brain at the door before switching on, and MC/MKR are my only guilty pleasures in that vein. I don’t expect blog posts on these shows to be particularly heavy, but mostly irreverent, adult, non-PC fun (without lots of swear words), which this site has produced for the overwhelming majority of the season. I rarely make more than one post a day (if that), but enjoy reading the back and forth commentary between the regular posters, with BDD being a standout for quick wit.

As much as I agree with Paul that there is no place for out and out personal nastiness, the way he has gone about making his point has made things worse and this blog unpleasant reading over the past few days. I would much rather have the blog back the way it was and I’ll just shake my head when BDD goes OTT. Who knows, perhaps if we NICELY say that we find a particular comment seriously offensive, we may get an apology. Few of us haven’t sent emails or posts that couldn’t, in hindsight, have been more appropriately written.

P.S. It’s hard not to notice that most of BDD’s defenders are female despite Paul’s insistence of his abusive attitude towards women.

31 Moonstruck { 07.27.12 at 12:32 am }

Well said Chris W.

32 brain dead dave { 07.27.12 at 1:07 am }

It was well listened to as well, thanks, Chris W.

Your assessment of the quality of the quote included is very fair. Thanks for taking the time.

I will, however ,insist that the phrase “Game over, moll’ is derived from the reality show Big Brother as a variation of the well known “Game on, moll” rather than a schoolyard. Since Ma$terchef an MKR are your only reality tv squeezes, it might not be apparent that it’s a play on a BB chestnut~if indeed there is such a thing..

I’m quite familiar with the nature of material in Fawlty Towers , having played Manuel for some time in a theatre restaurant production of the show ie The Germans , Hotel Inspector. Not very PC at all.

33 Baz { 07.27.12 at 1:54 am }

As I’ve stated in another post, it is the ugly side of human nature to be critical, judgemental, opinionated and a little insulting especially about people we see on tv. We’ve ALL said unpleasant things about people behind their backs. We’ve all called people nasty names. Anybody who says they haven’t is a liar. Don’t bitch things that you wouldn’t say to their faces? Puh-lease, as if Paul has never bitched about anybody behind their backs at some point in his mundane life. Again I reiterate, it isn’t nice and we really shouldn’t do it but guess what, THAT’S LIFE. Get over it or don’t bother checking in back here.

The thing that pisses me off is it has come to the point that people can’t even criticise the show, the format, the rules, the challenges, the favouritism (and nobody can deny that it was happening) without receiving one of Paul’s trademark tongue lashings. As Georgie mentioned before, I made an observation about the judges’ pronunciation of chef names which I believed to be fair. But lo and behold, Paul was having none of it.

It’s effing free speech you halfwit. Frankly I find your attacks and attempt to belittle others for voicing their honest thoughts to be disgusting, nasty and lot more offensive than anything bdd or anybody else has said. But of course being so deluded and self-righteous, you no doubt would still want to burn me at the stake for daring to add in my 2 cents. You are a crazy, nasty, spiteful bully. A majority of commenters here doesn’t give a toss about you. Take a hint. Crawl back to your gutter you troll.

34 A.P { 07.27.12 at 8:44 am }

Well said Baz and Chris W ! I’m away for the weekend, having a break from the computer, hopefully things will get back to normal, don’t really feel like commenting at the moment.
$tay BDD.

35 Mike { 07.27.12 at 10:00 am }

Surprised at how many people didn’t think Andy should have won. My wife have been “team Andy” since that elimination where they kept both of them. His dishes are so much more sophisticated than many of the other contestants and he isn’t stuck in a narrow range like some who are great at “Asian flavours” — Surprised Julia was a fave for so many. I was hoping for her to be eliminated for a long time and only just started warming to her in the past few weeks. Good result. Glad she got 15k and her Zumbo.

36 Culinary Boner { 07.27.12 at 10:43 am }

Comments #430 (Chris W), #433 (Baz) and #390 (Dr T) – amongst many others – are a clarion call for sanity and getting things into proper perspective on this site’s excellent posting section and the often clever and funny input provided by BDD.

Back in in the 1930s in the disadvantaged New York precinct of Harleem the Apollo Theater began allowing the talented and untalented to strut their stuff on stage at its weekly Amateur Night.

In the much the same way as today’s reality TV wannabees, these musical or vaudeville performing wannabees in their pursuit of fame and attention took on their own heads to risk the boos, hisses and ridicule of the audience should they be nowhere near as good as they imagined when singing in the shower.

For every James Brown – http://www.apollotheater.org/images/left/the-sixties.jpg
or Ella Fitzgerald
there’d be thousands more who’d, if lucky, would be greeted with indifference (that’s spelt ‘meh’ if you is Gen Y or addicted to Twitter).

While others would cop the full torrent of crowd abuse for the well-deserved sin of being really, really awful. As in these recent cases –
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ynjbJGcOY8 (this one is actually funny for the fact that this wannbee comedian even gets booed backstage)

Perhaps the problem for some reality TV wannabees is that they get to be booed or ridiculed for a lot longer than one 3-5 minute performance*.

But then again, they signed up for it.

* This is starting to sound like my sex life.

37 Dr T { 07.27.12 at 11:33 am }

Talk to the hand hey CB? :-)

Well said

38 Georgie { 07.27.12 at 12:52 pm }

lulu – dd’s tone sounds more like dc aka betty!

Yes ditto – well said CW, Baz, Marepoppin and CB. In fact ‘well said’ anyone who tries to bring some common sense back to this blog.

If there are hate campaigns and death threats going on elsewhere then go there to fix it – it’s not happening here.

39 kingfisher { 07.27.12 at 2:20 pm }

hi i’m back ,did i miss anything???

40 Daze { 07.27.12 at 3:06 pm }

Did you ever! lol

41 Zhuge Kongming { 07.27.12 at 7:02 pm }

Andy was a worthy winner, he peaked at the right time and delivered great food. Was rooting for Julia to win but her undercooked lamb did her in. This year’s finale was kinda underwhelming though, maybe because finals week was kinda rushed.

42 Reality Raver { 07.27.12 at 8:56 pm }

Kingfisher – that comment gave me one of the best laughs all week

43 Morgan { 08.30.12 at 8:15 pm }

I’m still not sure why so many people on here thought Julia deserved to win in the Final 2. She had undercooked lamb, and she did stuff up the dessert. Don’t get me wrong, I love her as well and would have been just as happy of she had won instead of Andy, but all in all Andy was the better cook on the night, and I think most people are just bitter that she lost. If she had won, with her mistakes, would people be kicking up such a fuss?

44 Nick { 08.30.12 at 8:26 pm }

Spot on, Morgan. Goes to show it’s not just the judges who play favourites.

45 Jessica { 08.30.12 at 8:35 pm }

I think this gif sums up this entire comment box perfectly:

46 AB { 10.26.12 at 2:38 pm }

@fred #304 Dom is studying full time, working, had a stint on masterchef and still has time to socialize at 21 but according to you (professional full-time Internet hater) she’s a bimbo because she’s pretty on top of that? See you on the dfloor never you creep

47 reference { 12.18.12 at 10:13 am }

It is the best time to make a few plans for the longer
term and it is time to be happy. I’ve learn this post and if I could I want to suggest you some attention-grabbing things or suggestions. Maybe you can write next articles relating to this article. I wish to learn more things approximately it!

48 Andrew { 01.09.14 at 4:07 am }

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Andy coasted through the entire competition. Its ridiculous that better cooks were eliminated on the basis of a single dish when their performance was consistently good. Andy had to be told what to do the half the time. He is as much of a Master Chef as I am an electrician, and I’m not.