Masterchef Australia – Audra Was Very Lucky

Firstly I will be live blogging the final so people can talk about it here as it is airing. Apologies to people not living on the East Coast.

Last night Mindy revealed she was radiating. “I have a flame inside of me and it is burning,”  Does that explain the orange tan?

Mindy’s inner fire was extinguished when her Barramundi with Shitake Broth was clearly the worst dish. She served the dish raw which unlike Audra’s sashimi it was not meant to be.

The contestants were paired up with a three hatted chef after looking at photos of winners which was Masterchef’s equivalent of the walk the Survivor contestants do to remember fallen tribe-mates prior to the finale

Well their restaurants have three hats. Andy was paired with Mark Best, and Andy thought this was because they were both electricians. Mark did not look too thrilled to be reminded of his previous life.

Mindy with Jacque Raymond, Audra with Peter Doyle, and Julia with Shannon Bennett.

The challenge was for the contestant to make their signature dish, but make it to a three hat standard. Their mentors were able to advise them for five minutes at the start and then they could use them for 15 minutes at anytime in the challenge.

But before they started the judges had to get some emotional mileage out of the contestants. Gary said to Julia “If you get into the finale you can open that cake shop”. Julia was gracious and did not point out she could still open her cake shop even if she did not make it into the final.

Ben said the competition made him want to travel…. not sure what that has to do with cooking, but obviously he is now open to new experiences. The girls in the Hunter Valley wept.

Audra talked about the expectations of being Asian about getting an education, get a good job, getting married, buying a house and having children. This probably resonated with a lot of women and men her age. She said “Women in my position can step outside and dream a little”. And Mindy just talked about having a fire in her belly, and having a clean slate at 30 years of age.

Julia thought Shannon Bennett was “Terrifying and awe inspiring” and she wasn’t just talking about his much needed hair cut. Hopefully Neil Perry will take note and cut his pony tail off.

Julia said her signature dish was Melting Moments but thankfully she refrained from cooking them or a cupcake. She went for Mille Fieulle with White Chocolate, Raspberry Sorbet and Ice Cream. She was under a lot of pressure in the 90 minute time frame even the chefs thought it was far too much, but as usual she did not break into a sweat.

Audra was making Sashimi with different dressings. It was queried that she was not doing any cooking, but she must have thought she was in the Dalai Lama challenge as she said she was treating the “ingredients with respect”.

Andy again was doing seafood making a Confit Ocean Trout, Pea Mousse and Yabbies.

Mindy stuck with her Asian style and made Barramundi with a Shitake Broth – Gary did his mind tricks and said you don’t usually make broths or cook with whole pieces of fish. I am sure she has made a Thai broth previously in the competition.

Unfortunately for her who has been pretty flawless throughout the competition, tonight was not her night. She said the oven was not up to temperature, and had to take the fish out of the oven and pan fry them. It was unclear whether she had not turned on the oven early enough or if the oven was not working properly.

She did the mea culpa to the judges “I have too much respect for you to lie about it”. It was raw.

Audra also left the judges underwhelmed, it was nice, but they were expecting more at this time of the competition. Also quite rightly Matt Preston bollocked her for bringing in kitchen bowls to serve up, something Julia was also criticised for.

Julia who had ran out of time had got Shannon Bennett to give her some advice and she basically scattered the ingredients over the tile. However they loved the flavours she was safe, as was Andy with his Ocean Trout that got a rave review. Andy’s dish was definitely restaurant quality.

Unfortunately there was not a lot of tension on who was going to be eliminated due to the disaster that was Mindy’s dish. However Audra was very lucky Mindy stuffed up as otherwise she would have been walking the plank.

Who do you think will win the final Audra, Julia or Andy?

1 Baz { 07.25.12 at 6:30 pm }

Perhaps for future reference we should have Paul’s Holy Commandments or Paul’s Guide To Commentary Etiquette and Acceptable Trolling.

1) Thou shall not have any type of negative opinion about Masterchef.

2) Thou shall not criticise Masterchef judges and contestants for improper pronunciation of chef names (because apparently there could be more than one way to say ‘Jacque’. I will have to confirm with Mr Reymond himself before I dare criticise Matt Preston again).

3) Thou shall not criticise contestants because they are all showing their true personalities on screen and in their spare time they go tra-la-la-ling through an open meadow together holding hands. Because they really love and support each other. Even Deb.

4) Thou shall not especially criticise the orange people. Because fake tans have real feelings too.

5) Thou shall repent for such sins with 30 minutes of self-flagellation while watching footage of George lick his knife.

Care to add anything more? Fire away BDD :)

2 brain dead dave { 07.25.12 at 6:35 pm }

Did I mention that I am totally in awe of MCA?. It has to be the best produced, most believable and genuine cooking competition I’ve ever watched.

The judges are the most natural, helpful and spontaneous hosts you could ever hope for and because they are so natural and spontaneous, nothing they do on the show could ever be seen as contrived or manipulated for entertainment or drama sake. They are totally supportive of all the contestants equally and would never display favouritism in any form.

All the contestants are wonderful, clever, well adjusted and jolly people, who are such talented cooks, any one of them could be a master chef in real life. Like the judges, I would never favour one contestant over another because they all deserve my blind adoration and I want them all to win. Nothing they do ever annoys me because I am from Stepford.

This is my opinion of MCA throughout the entire competition and I’ll copy and paste it into the blog every day.

3 Georgie { 07.25.12 at 6:36 pm }

Rofl Baz and bdd!

4 brain dead dave { 07.25.12 at 6:39 pm }

Hey, I hope you’re not laughing at Ma$terchef, Georgie, because I am totally in awe of MCA. It has to be the best produced, most believable and genuine cooking competition I’ve ever watched.

5 Baz { 07.25.12 at 6:40 pm }

Georgie and BDD – we have our opening sermon. Amen.

6 brain dead dave { 07.25.12 at 6:45 pm }

Geez, I think you should lay off the blasphemy there, Baz because I am totally in awe of MCA. It has to be the best produced, most believable and genuine cooking competition I’ve ever watched.

7 Paul { 07.25.12 at 6:50 pm }

Hi Georgie,
Given that apparantly you have no interest in cooking, then it’s probably best you watch AGT.

I don’t know why the 4 of you just don’t start up a facebook hate page & be done with it.

Actually I do know why. Harder to hide there, isn’t it?

8 brain dead dave { 07.25.12 at 6:53 pm }

Fuck knows why you would say that, Adolf, because at the end of the day,I am totally in awe of MCA. It has to be the best produced, most believable and genuine cooking competition I’ve ever watched.

9 Georgie { 07.25.12 at 6:54 pm }

Actually Paul of God I thought you should seriously consider taking your vigilante crusade to that FB site and see if you can do some genuine good.

Hang about, I know why you don’t do that – that really is serious hate stuff and you’d get burned alive wouldn’t you?

10 JLo { 07.25.12 at 6:58 pm }

So easy to bait Paul. Hehehe. Better shut up before RR ……

11 Baz { 07.25.12 at 7:04 pm }

Because we would miss you too much Pauly. Who else would deliver us from evil?

Hehe JLo – all we need to say is ‘Matt is wearing an ugly shirt’ and he’ll come scurrying out of the gutter right on cue.

12 littlepetal { 07.25.12 at 7:06 pm }

JLo-You got him.

13 JLo { 07.25.12 at 7:08 pm }

Live blogging is starting now…. Paul, move over there. RR will be monitoring you.

14 Harry High Pants { 07.25.12 at 7:09 pm }

Well the final is here and so after tonight my sojorn into social media will be over. Everything I have read confirms totally my view that all social media is populated by morons and bogans with a collective IQ of less than ten. The ‘moron telegraph’ – i have contributed because some of the losers who use facebook and that incredibly moronic twitter tell me that I shouldn’t criticise until I try it…. So I have and thankfully all my views have been confirmed in writing. As hard as I tried to stir coments related to the show, the predominant posts were by those who were spatting with each other….. Dumb verses dumber with even dumbers chiming in. Reality shows are good. They are aimed at the lowest common denominator and they keep a large number of morons off the streets for twelve weeks or so at a time.,they also create hope that any talentless nobody can be famous for a few minutes by being on one of these bastions of crap….. And that is good because who wants to get a real job and work for a living…….

15 JLo { 07.25.12 at 7:13 pm }

Dear High Pants,

It is not over yet. 3 more weeks of MC all-Stars :)

Yours sincerely,
Low Jeans (aka J-Lo)

16 JStar { 07.25.12 at 7:16 pm }

Haven’t followed thread today. What did I miss? Working so will miss live finale but will read updates. Thanks RR!

Audra is the most versatile out of the three and one of the strongest this year. But is suffering untimely brain fades. Deserves to win but the strongest competitors rarely win the grand prize. Eliminated contestants have confirmed that she was patient in teaching others about Asian cooking techniques.

Julia is the most steely determined. Generally cooks winning dishes when in bottom 2/3 (as opposed to getting through as someone stuffed up more). If she gets through first two rounds relatively well, she is the one to beat in the dessert round. Eliminates contestants also confirmed that she helped out others to improve their baking and dessert skills.

Andy has all the momentum and all top ten eliminated contestants point to his calmness under stress. Improved a lot and is very competitive. Should he win? Shine wants him too. At least he has a year to write a cookbook that features more than mussels and beef cheeks. Clearly has learnt a lot watching Audra, Dalvinder, Mindy, Julia, and Kylie cook and teach in the house. If Andy reaches the final round, memory is he got in the Top 24 on Peach Melba Pressure Test.

17 littlepetal { 07.25.12 at 7:16 pm }

Is this the live blog?

18 Georgie { 07.25.12 at 7:17 pm }

#163 – hi CB!

19 JLo { 07.25.12 at 7:20 pm }
20 brain dead dave { 07.25.12 at 7:23 pm }

No littlepetal~ go to Recent Comments on RR’s Home Page and click on one of the comments. This here is the live slog.

Hasn’t started here, yet. Have fun.

21 Culinary Boner { 07.25.12 at 7:44 pm }

That aint me, Georgie.
I’m more a Larry Low Pants, truth be told.
I’m also busy trying to convince Mrs Boner to adjourn to the kitchen table as per BDD’s excellent suggestion earlier this afternoon.

22 Gordon2 { 07.25.12 at 7:45 pm }

Oh I shall be so pleased to hear the last of Audra’s “Oh my God”, she has used it continually and it drives me mad together with the women screaming. Go Andy, at least you don’t follow that lot.

23 heroes of dragon age hack { 01.27.14 at 9:19 am }

It’s going to be finish of mine day, except before end I am reading this
fantastic post to improve my experience.