Masterchef All Stars – Who Will Win?

Masterchef All Stars starts tonight barely letting fans of the show gain their equilibrium before it kicks off tonight for a three week festival to see who is the best of the best. The foodies Olympics you could call it.

There are four contestants from the first three series of the show:

• Season One – Julie Goodwin, Poh Ling Yeow, Chris Badenoch, and Justine Schofield.
  • Season Two – Marion Grasby, Jonathan Daddia, Callum Haan and Aaron Harvie.
  • Season Three – Kumar Pereira, Hayden Quinn, Dani Venn and Kate Bracks.

My understanding is they will be competing in teams. So it is also series versus series until one person is left standing.

I think the people who have been doing a lot of cooking will be the winner so someone like Julie Goodwin, or Poh. Unfortunately I think the pressure will get to Kumar and he will be an early casualty.

Adam Liaw was unable to participate due to his filming commitments with SBS. However is there someone you would have liked to have seen in All-Stars?

Who do you think will be standing there in the end?

1 wallah { 07.26.12 at 9:24 pm }

@ planb “largely because very few of season three were able to string more than a few words together in a succinct and amusing way.”
Yep, and she now represents all that was bad about last season. The interminable recaps, the poor cooking, the hubris. Matt Preston digging through her blackened fried chicken, trying in vain to find at least one positive of what was put before them just summed up that whole season, let alone the 2 seconds of Marcus Samuelsson while someone was trying to use a Westpac debit card.

2 Ari { 07.26.12 at 9:38 pm }

Still watching the show. Really love Jonathan. Didn’t appreciate him as much as I should have in season 2 and I’m glad I get to see him again. He’s amazing. One of my favourite contestants.

Although I AM having season 4 withdrawals. Watching that new intro almost made me tear up because I was looking forward to TK’s weird dance, Amina, Andy’s mussels, Ben’s cheesy taco smile and everything. Gosh I love season 4.

3 lulu { 07.26.12 at 10:18 pm }

Ooh planb, quite a diatribe.
Has someone become acquainted with Mr. Thesaurus?

Not being familiar with the origins of the nickname, ‘Legohead,’ I appreciate your effort to elevate it to Dickensian proportions: ‘unwashed masses,’ ‘epithet of hatred,’ … I’m giddy with hyperbole-overdose.

Dani was cool tonight and wore the lego around her neck like a badge of honour (death threats? please) … didn’t seem ‘dehumanised’ or ‘objectified’ at all. Plus, you intimated she was edited poorly … thought it was all about the cooking ? tehe

If you’re an afficionado of ‘ reality’, you should appreciate the fickle nature of all that comes with it.

4 Maz { 07.26.12 at 10:30 pm }

Liked tonight’s episode. Far better than anything that was served up in MC4.

We get that croquembouche is hell but could Zumbo delivered another version of pastry hell? :)

5 Izobel2 { 07.26.12 at 11:04 pm }

I watched the entire episode with a smile on my face. What fun.

6 Anna Muscat { 07.27.12 at 1:48 am }

Callum is the one of the best young cooks in the country. Also, he is so down to earth, and a really likeable humble young man.

7 planb { 07.27.12 at 9:44 am }

Yes, death threats. There were facebook hate pages set up, etc. A brief mention of some of it here:

Venn underwent just that experience. While MasterChef was on air last year, social media sites were abuzz with people who felt hatred towards her. One Facebook user suggested: “I think we need to do what people did with Melanie [from My Kit-chen Rules]. Send Dani death threats.”

It’s a disturbingly common motif. “We’ve seen people literally making death threats against people who simply came on a renovating show to do their best,” Cress says. “What’s that about? It can only be because they are comparing them to somebody else and deciding they’re not as nice, and so therefore they’re deserving of death. It’s amazing how much it polarises people.

“It’s not many of us who get 15 death threats in our inbox at the end of a day’s work. That’s something we have to manage really carefully.”

Venn was able to remain distanced from the negative comments.

“The facelessness of the internet probably means that for people who don’t have much power or anything really going on in their lives, the internet is an outlet,” she says. “And it just snowballs. If one person thinks something and others get on it and then all of a sudden thousands are like ‘we don’t like Dani’. But as soon as I was eliminated it stopped, and they moved on to the next person they didn’t like. I haven’t had any negative experiences in a real-life situation.”

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/televisions-harsh-reality-20120324-1vrio.html#ixzz21m72xB8u

8 Paul { 07.27.12 at 9:56 am }

Well said again planb.

IMO its important to stop the snowball effect at its source.

I really wish the law was more vigilant with these attacks. I know that people in the UK have been jailed for making death threats on twitter.

9 Mia { 07.27.12 at 9:58 am }

@Anna Muscat: “I think Mia from comments needs her head read. What, replace Callum with Alvin. Are you normal?”

Depends who you ask, Anna. :)

10 planb { 07.27.12 at 10:22 am }

Oh, and fyi, Lulu, I have never said it is all about the cooking.

But, for me, it is not all about the spite.

11 lulu { 07.27.12 at 11:33 am }

planb, MC is the only ‘reality’ show I watch and only for two seasons … my only guilty pleasure … so I’m not au fait with all the other kitchen/singing/renovating/whatever stuff.

If there were death threats (a serious offence) on facebook, they would easily be trackable. Were any arrests made? The cynic in me believes that a lot of it would’ve been a beat up to garner sympathy and extra publicity for the show. A common ploy for tv networks.

Now I’ll contradict myself; I’m sure there were d/threats. Meaningless? Yep. Unpleasant? Sure … and probably emanating from disconnected teenaged girls, arguably the most terrifying subspecies on the planet.

At least Dani understands – feckless as it may be, she put her hand up, and that’s showbiz.

ps. Yes, you implied it.
pps. Never underestimate spite.

12 planb { 07.28.12 at 9:49 am }

Not where you’re concerned, darl.

13 Anna Muscat { 07.28.12 at 3:26 pm }

Mia from comments, you say, ‘DEPENDS WHO YOU ASK” i don’t need to ask anybody. Not only did Callum make and pipe about 6 trays of those puff balls, he also started the custard as well.
Alvin would have still been piping his mixture, when it was Jonathan’s turn to take over.
Who went out when they made the V8 cake, (i think that’s what it’s called) – Alvin, not Callum.

14 Anna Muscat { 07.28.12 at 3:36 pm }

a quck mreminder to Dunbi. Callum and Marion make great desserts for Season 2. Poh and Julie for Season 1 and Kate for Season 3. Next year (if they have a challenge) it will be Kylie and Julia. Julia will then whip everybody’s backside, She has been asked by the man himself Adriano Zumbo to join his pastry team. Julia has accepted.
And as far as Seaon 1, they made the croqenbouche for one of their challenges, yet they did so badly. What went wrong? They still had the same amount of time as the other 2 teams. Just goes to show – they are not as good as what they thought, especially Poh, she is such a silly woman.

15 Dunbi { 07.28.12 at 3:49 pm }

Thanks Muscat. I shall stick to Season Two. Season 1 went wrong because Julie’s dough was not right and then instead of Poh taking Zumbo’s advice on how to get it right, she chose to ignore him. From then on they were doomed!

16 brain dead dave { 07.28.12 at 3:57 pm }

Re law of diminishing returns: Ma$terchef Final Weak ratings

Ma$terchef inaugural Finale 2009 ~3.7 million
2010~more than 4 million~record
2011~2.659 million
2012-2.2 million.

17 Paul { 07.28.12 at 4:44 pm }

Sort of like complaining that Michael Clarke only scored 150 instead of 350.

18 Daze { 07.28.12 at 5:17 pm }

Hey bdd, is it freezing in Adelaide? Yes the ratings have diminished somewhat so it’s just the regular fans that keep the 2mill up; 4mill was a huge record and (possibly the success went to 50 Shades of G&G’s heads)

19 lulu { 07.28.12 at 5:38 pm }

“darl?’ .. lol

20 Oshada { 07.28.12 at 6:27 pm }

Those ratings mirror my engagement with the show quite well! Season 2 was my absolute favourite, followed by 1, 3 and 4.

21 brain dead dave { 07.28.12 at 7:01 pm }

Unfortunately, since around 2000 , scores and results in international games of cricket cannot necessarily be taken at face value.

22 Georgie { 07.28.12 at 7:15 pm }

Agree bdd – it depends who is playing. Some huge batting scores have been recorded against Bangladesh for example.

23 Ari { 07.28.12 at 7:35 pm }

I’m surprised season 3 got as much viewers as season 4. Season 3 was unexciting and I did not even care who won. I actually don’t remember paying attention to the finale at all.

For me it’s S2, S4, S1 and then S3.

24 Anna Muscat { 08.10.12 at 1:53 am }

Can’t stand the judges always picking Kate as the winner of the masterchef allstars challenges. Give someone else a turn in the limelight. I like Kate, but i am getting so sick of Gary and George picking their favourite (Kate).
The judges ate all of Callum’s dessert, he did such a great job, yet they still picked Kate.
What is wrong with you mutton heads(judges)?
Give the rest of the allstars a chance, not always your FAVOURITE.

25 Anna Muscat { 08.11.12 at 1:36 am }

Who will be standing there in the end. Those mutton head judges favourite ( i actually like her) Kate.
Julie and Callum (celebrity chef). Although i’m not impressed with Julie in the allstars, she gets frazzled under pressure. Callum was good in series 2, but is so very good now. This fine young man has a good chance to make it to the finals. But because of he judges, and her talent, Kate will be there.

26 Cassie { 08.29.12 at 1:36 pm }

I used to like Justine on the Masterchef series but after seeing her on her own show she turned me off. She is not a qualified chef yet she is condescending to her guest chefs on the show -like she knows it all. Unfortunately it all went to her head. I’d prefer her to be more humble.

27 Anna Muscat { 08.30.12 at 10:20 pm }

Hi Mia from comments. Y ou must have as happy as i was in the All Stars Finale when Callum won. He was the groomsman in Series 2 (runner up), But he was finally the BEST MAN. So derserved, and what a good judge of character i am.

28 Anna Muscat { 08.30.12 at 10:26 pm }

What a terrific Finale in the All Stars challenge when celebrity chef Callum won. I was so very proud and very happy for him. From being the groomsman (runner up in Series 2), he was finally the BEST MAN. So deserved. Don’t all you Callum fans agree?

29 news { 08.25.13 at 1:06 am }

Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo
News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Cheers