Masterchef All Stars – A Quick Summary

Still doing the longer recaps for All Stars, as I can neither confirm nor deny that I have been caught up with the Olympics, however here is a quick summary and will put the full one up in this post in about an hour:

Masterchef All Stars appears to be paying homage to the Olympics with a relay style cook-off. There were four rounds with the first challenge cuisine selected by Kate Bracks as the yellow team won the challenge in the last episode. She picked Lebanese because she thought this would give her an advantage. She had not realised that red team’s Jonathan Daddia’s father was Moroccan. Not that this helped him as he dished up inedible kebbe. Julie Goodwin won with her Kofta. She immediately sent Poh down to do Chinese and finally we had a Marion and Poh cook off, but in a surprise result Dani Venn took it out with her Lychee Toffee Pops.

Kate then sent Kumar down to cook Indian, as Aaron Harvie said “he would take one for the team”, but it was Chris Badenoch who was the surprise winner with a well cooked salmon. The last leg was French with Justine, Callum and Hayden battling it out, but Callum won it for the red team with a nice looking quail. It all very nice at the moment but like the Olympics the question has to be asked when are the eliminations going to start?

1 Robl { 07.30.12 at 9:56 am }

The thing that stood out most in this episode was how incredibly rude Gary was to Kumar when he was cooking. Kumar was explaining what he was doing and with what and Gary just kept talking over him with a “whatever” look of boredom on his face.

2 PollyB { 07.30.12 at 10:10 am }

Just realising how much I don’t like Kate or Julie. Yep, Gary really rude to Kumar.

3 Culinary Boner { 07.30.12 at 10:43 am }

The relay challenge is straight from Top Chef*.

It was fun enough to watch, even if it did plod along at times. Kate’s inane provincialism annoys the crap out of me. She makes Julie G look urbane.

* For a masterclass in how to break down chickens the Hung way here’s a segment from a previous Top Chef relay – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnMiyBLhonE
(Even Tom Colicchio is impressed to the point of pissing himself with laughter.)

4 Morgan { 07.30.12 at 11:51 am }

I’m sure the judges have never liked poor old Kumar. His dish looked great and I thought he should have won the Indian round, Chris’ dish looked great as well, but salmon isn’t very Indian.

I still can’t believe Dani beat Poh and Marion. Such bullshit.

5 brain dead dave { 07.30.12 at 11:54 am }

Less gurning at the cameras from some of the alleged stars wouldn’t hurt.

It’s all a bit The Price Is Right. Light hearted is okay…but not such affected lameness.

6 Chris W { 07.30.12 at 12:07 pm }

Not the most exciting episode ever. The “challenges” were pretty simple and winners seemed to be chosen on a “let’s keep everyone happy” basis as much as anything else. Having said that, the overall standard seems higher than that of S4 where a lot of decisions were made easy by the disastrous cooking of one of the contestants.

At one point one of the judges commented on how quiet it was. I thought it was great to have a quiet peanut gallery, but I suppose a lot of the noise is generated by the producer telling them when to get excited.

They really need to explain how it’s going to work in the long run.

7 Daze { 07.30.12 at 12:08 pm }

Jono’s dad Moroccan? Blow me down with a feather………
Yes, the show is a bit haha-heehee and giggly? Wot’s that all about……….

8 Reality Raver { 07.30.12 at 12:10 pm }

I do think they were sharing the winners around between the teams.

9 Chunks { 07.30.12 at 12:15 pm }

Having a hard time getting excited about it. It’s just not the same without real competition and thereat of seeing your dreams dashed keeping them on their toes. I really wanted to eat all three of those Chinese style dishes and thought Dani’s deep fried lychee looked great.

10 Socs { 07.30.12 at 12:34 pm }

But it was lychees from a can!

11 Dunbi { 07.30.12 at 12:40 pm }

Well, I am enjoying it but do agree with RR they are sharing the winners around so each team gets to win some money. The Lychee pops looked great but fresh lychees would have been better. I think it would make it tougher if the winning team choose who is going to cook from the other teams.

12 Culinary Boner { 07.30.12 at 12:42 pm }

Agree with you Raver that they were obviously trying to share around the charity loot and winning kudos.

Initially, I was sceptical of Dani’s victory in the Chinese leg. However, I’m now forming the view that she may instead be the only contestant capable of bring us the latest, over-rated food trend – dude food mixed presented as David Chang lite. The rice crisp hamburger “buns” from her season and now lolly pop style desserts, etc… All she needs to do is open her range up to embrace more offal and chicken arses on sticks and she’ll be truly hitting the big time.

Callum’s dish looked yummo.

Badenoch looks in desperate need of a case of beer followed by a hang-over so he can shed the false veneer of cheery and affected camaraderie.

FFS, Chris. Are you a man, or an effing hobbit?

13 A.P { 07.30.12 at 12:55 pm }

Found it all a bit boring sorry, kept switching to the Olympics.

14 Georgie { 07.30.12 at 12:59 pm }

I forgot it was on last night and I’ll be out voted at my place anyway, to stay tuned to the Olympics.

A pity, because I’d like to watch it but let’s face it – MC All Stars just can’t compete (pun intended).

15 kingfisher { 07.30.12 at 2:22 pm }

please oh please stop all the giggling and back slapping , i want to watch to see who is really the king or queen of masterchef , i want killer instinct i want to see someone do a killer dish . will flamin julie and kate shut up with their housewife humour , no wonder gary was rude to kumar the turtle , he couldn’t understand him , i had to put on the subtitles to understand him . i have been driving my wife nuts wanting revenge for chris when he was eliminated in series one to the puddle pie queen , i need redemption i need chris to piss these chuckling master chefs off and give me what i want REVENGE!!!!!! p.s i’m glad you stayed brain dead dave ,good move .if only that flammin greeny goody two shoes took a hike .

16 brain dead dave { 07.30.12 at 4:44 pm }

MC All $tars just can’t compete with bit of dressage or synchronised diving.

Cheers kingfi$her.

17 Morgan { 07.30.12 at 7:12 pm }

Another entry for the “I’ve never” list:

I’ve never made sausages before – Callum, Marion, Aaron and Jonathan

18 Baz { 07.30.12 at 7:57 pm }

I rather massage George’s bald head with hot oil than have Kate and Dani on my tv again *retch*.

Season 3 was the worst. Can we please replace them with season 4 (hell I’ll even put up with Mindy again).

19 brain dead dave { 07.30.12 at 8:16 pm }

“Sussages” is more like it. The promos said these people were “Masters”

20 brain dead dave { 07.30.12 at 8:30 pm }

Question for Australia’s Ma$terchef “Winner” Julie Goodwin…..

Why are you pricking sausages? The qualified chefs I’ve seen on TV say “No”!

Maybe even Beckaa can figure that out.

21 JKo { 07.31.12 at 7:59 am }

I can’t wait for them to break up the teams so they can get outta their comfort zones and start mix and mingling.

22 Joseph Skyrim { 07.31.12 at 8:13 am }

They have some pretty funny lines in there though. Also continuing to be impressed by Callum and Hayden, both of whom I didn’t think were challengers. Hope Jono gets his act together soon but even if not, I’m happy he’s on TV again! More so with Justine… ^_^

23 Morgan { 07.31.12 at 9:02 am }

Glad the S2 Team won, they needed some revenge from the last two episodes. Callum continues to improve. And Jonathan needs to start stepping it up, he’s been disappointing me so far.

24 Dr T { 07.31.12 at 9:39 am }

I have zero interest in MC allstars… it’s just like celebrity MC and paediatric MC – no venom, no competitive edge, therefore, no interest

PS bdd – it’s synchronized falling or synchronized drowning…
And I don’t see how dressage is a sport… it that makes it in, so should sheep dog trials, or cane toad racing