Masterchef All Stars – The Sausage Sizzle

When is there going to be an elimination? Masterchef All Stars is only going for three weeks and we are three episodes in and no one has been cauterised.

Now I know it is nice to see the joviality between the All Stars, but really I want to see who is the best cook not who is the nicest one.

The challenge was for the three teams again split up in their seasons to cook a sausage sizzle for one hundred firemen at their training headquarters.

Props have to be given to Shine Australia and TEN for being able to think of a challenge where they could show Hayden Quinn in his Speedos again. Not sure what it had to do with cooking then or now.

Team red aka season two had the first pick of the main ingredient and they selected duck, team blue (season one) picked pork, and team yellow chose lamb.

Now team blue are not showing their cooking chops at all. In fact the team that went into the show favourites are tanking faster than James Mangussen. Their sausage was too dry and they came last in the challenge. Julie Goodwin did manage to cook a good tomato relish the only highlight of the challenge for them.

The red team were behind in making their duck sausages but Jonathan Daddia who apparently has a chutney line, made a very original and tasty caramelised onion and apple chutney. Lucky for him it worked and he will be hoping for some product sales off the back of his exposure on the show.

In fact the blue team should pull up their socks as they have brands to protect as well.

Season three were making lamb and rosemary sausages serving them with caramelised onions. A very safe choice but a popular one with the firemen.

In fact team yellow were very comfortable in the challenge had most of their sausages cooked before the tsunami of people hit their stall.

The blue team only scored eight votes with both red and yellow both getting 36 votes.

It was all down the judges, and they went with the more complex duck sausages and Johnno’s chutney and gave them the win. This will give them the advantage in the mystery box tonight.

1 Daze { 07.31.12 at 2:22 pm }

RR, I read there are 9 contestants left on Wednesday night next week, so 3 are going but Im not sure in which challenges or which nights.

2 Joseph Skyrim { 07.31.12 at 2:32 pm }

For a challenge cooking for firemen, they all certainly looked like they could have used a good fire at the start there – all of them looked cold! Hopefully the advantage is a big one as I was expecting the winners to actually gain moneys as they did last time, but they didn’t. Hate it when the judges screw you over like that (see South Korea – women’s fencing). >.<

Getting eliminated in 3's is probably right, that way the teams are still even till the end.

3 Culinary Boner { 07.31.12 at 2:39 pm }

The Blue Team should surely get on the bandwagon and blame twitter addiction for their failings – http://www.news.com.au/sport/london-olympics/emily-seebohm-edged-out-in-100m-backstroke-final-by-missy-franklin/story-fndpu6dv-122643904587.

I think it was BDD on an earlier post who noted Julie G stoopidly pricking the sausages to turn them in geysers of fat almost worthy of the dousing by the Fireys.

Personally, I have followed the advice of masters like Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver and now prefer to cook snags in the oven as this gets ’em nicely brown all over result and avoids the inevitable flare-ups or burnt offerings – http://www.jamieshomecookingskills.com.au/recipe.php?title=how-to-cook-sausages-in-the-oven

It is also removes the temptation to prick them until they are ready to eat. I prick them at this point to remove the excess animal fat ingestion me heart don’t need.

I note that the hand-job tasks were reserved for the female contestants. Wonder if Big Kev might have muscled in on this action if he was on set?

4 domjr { 07.31.12 at 2:44 pm }
5 PollyB { 07.31.12 at 2:45 pm }

have I mentioned I don’t like Kate?
Johnno’s chutney looked delish.

6 Culinary Boner { 07.31.12 at 3:04 pm }

Kate is the ultimate advert for celibacy in my opinion.

7 brain dead dave { 07.31.12 at 3:05 pm }

Sure I’ve copped a serving on this blog for not being interested in cooking, but when you see Australia’s inaugural alleged Ma$terchef pricking sausages, how sweet it is. What a celebration of bungling incompetence J Goodwin provided. The author of Australia’s best selling cookbook can’t cook a frigging sausage, then.

Blaming Twitter for an Olympic defeat,ffs – I got up at 4.00 and duly saw $eebohm start not very well, burn up too much gas to get to the front too early and get swamped by a much better swimmer at the death. Then the appalling blubfest afterwards. The cadaverous, shattered parents in the grandstands. C’mon. Thanks for the link to that embarrassing load of excuses, Boner.

8 Joseph Skyrim { 07.31.12 at 3:23 pm }

CB – your first link is no longer working, was it that embarassing that they took it down? o.o

9 brain dead dave { 07.31.12 at 3:30 pm }

Joseph, it does appear that the Boner link isn’t working but look down the right hand side of the said news.com.au page at “Most Read Articles” for the words $eebohm and Twitter and check the unsportsmanlike dummy spit out.

10 Paul { 07.31.12 at 3:31 pm }

BDD – she was pricking them because of the way the sausages were made. She did not want them to explode and so had to invent a release for all the pressure.

It would have been more of a disaster if she hadn’t of done that as most probably they would have ended up as hamburger patties.

I thought this was properly explained during the show.

11 Paul { 07.31.12 at 3:35 pm }

And I don’t believe Emily was blaming twitter.

Pretty obvious that she felt she got overconfident by reading all the tweets about her pre event.

She was blaming herself.

12 Culinary Boner { 07.31.12 at 3:46 pm }

Just looked at the MC China advert domjr.

Strewth…

…I’m kinda surprised no one in the media has yet inferred this lot of amatas are juiced-up cheats.

Especially the chick who jumps 10 feet in the air to saute her veges and the bloke who’s mid-air slicin’ of that cucumber had me crossing me legs.

13 sue N { 07.31.12 at 3:53 pm }

If the challenge was to make a sausage sizzle with only ONE condiment- how come the blue team could have a chutney/sauce and grated cheese, and the red team had their chutney/sauce and then herbs for garnish and some also had cheese. In my books- 1 condiment means exactly that- 1, not 1 plus…………

and the blue team got 28 votes, not 8…. 😉

I thought yellow team should have one, as they made great snags (apparently 😉 ) AND followed the rules!

14 brain dead dave { 07.31.12 at 4:10 pm }

sue N~To the best of my limited culinary knowledge, cheese is a main ingredient, not a condiment.

Condiments are things like Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo, Relish, Horseradish sauce, Worchestershire sauce, etc.

15 Reality Raver { 07.31.12 at 4:26 pm }

Sue N – thanks will change – distracted by Olympics. I thought the cheese was a weird addition.

16 Morgan { 07.31.12 at 4:31 pm }

Since when is cheese a condiment, Sue N?

If there will be three contestants eliminated by next Wednesday, I hope it’s Dani, Julie (although I’m sure the producers won’t have her kicked out so early on) and… Aaron I suppose. Hard to decide, Julie and Dani are the only ones out of the group that I don’t care for at all.

17 brain dead dave { 07.31.12 at 4:40 pm }

I’m almost starting to feel sorry for Dani languishing at the ar$e end of RR’s Poll with a less than impressive 3 out of 193 votes. Hilarious. It’s too late by the way, because I voted for Justine.

18 Oshada { 07.31.12 at 5:17 pm }

I quite like Dani, I thought it was hilarious when she called out Hayden on keeping one dog for himself. I think there might be an elimination tomorrow.

19 sue N { 07.31.12 at 5:27 pm }

since when is cheese a condiment??? well to my mind at least- it is certainly an “addition” to a sausage & bun plus 1 condiment- which was the challenge…

I did wonder if it was strictly a condiment- but it was certainly extra to the brief, IMO….

& I have never seen cheese as a standard inclusion or main ingredient at a sausage sizzle- snag, bread, onions and a choice of sauces is the norm- at least anywhere I have lived in Oz!

20 Georgie { 07.31.12 at 5:37 pm }

Correct sue N, the traditional sausage sanger is sausage, onions, sauce and bread. I didn’t see the show – were they allowed to use onion or was that additional too?

21 sue N { 07.31.12 at 5:44 pm }

they all made a chutney/sauce thing that had onions in , but with different other ingredients that made the sauce.

Yellow team stuck to bread,snag and condiment chutney/sauce, blue definitely had cheese as well, and I saw cheese and some extra herbs/garnish on some of reds.n

22 brain dead dave { 07.31.12 at 5:53 pm }

:). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :).

Cheese is strictly not a condiment . Google it.

:). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :). :).

23 sue N { 07.31.12 at 6:01 pm }

still- outside the brief IMO- “condiment” or extra “additional” ingedient to the dish or not!

24 Georgie { 07.31.12 at 6:03 pm }

So it sounds like yellow should have won but we’ve seen this sort of inconsistency with MC before. Maybe it was Red team’s turn for the win and the charity dollars.

25 Dooba { 07.31.12 at 6:26 pm }

Is there going to be a dog meat episode for MC China?

Please.. eliminate someone already!

26 brain dead dave { 07.31.12 at 7:32 pm }

A lot from Emily Seebohm about her Twitter and Facebook use, her debilitating bouts of swine flu and pancreatitis etc, etc- all after the race. It’s not all blaming herself… in fact a lot of it sounds like Lleyton Hewitt scapegoating after a another loss.

Seems she was beaten by a woman 3 yrs younger who raced a 200 metre Freestyle semi final some 13 minutes before she swamped the tiring Seebohm when it counted in an Olympic Final. Had her victorious opponent been fresher, I think the winning margin would have been even more emphatic.

History will make little ado about how fast Seebohm swam in the heats. The “Missile” has already found that out.

27 PollyB { 07.31.12 at 8:50 pm }

Well, who’d have thunk it. Tonight, 1 hour of MC, 12 cheftestants, a whole heap of cooking, although only a couple of seconds of Callum, Chris & Aaron, and we got to see all 12 finished dishes presented. If only this concept can be picked up for any future MC seasons. Paul, are you out there? Tell ya mates this is what we want for the regular season.

28 Dunbi { 08.01.12 at 12:38 am }

After seeing the eruptions from Julie’s sausages and the variations in size of the duck ones, I would have chosen the lamb.

29 Georgie { 08.01.12 at 6:56 am }

#10 seems to have a very intimate knowledge of Julie’s sausages, what she did with them and why. Sounds like inside information to me.

30 Anna { 08.01.12 at 9:23 am }

Hey, not supporting any one person here, but Julie’s sausages had been, in her words, ‘poached’ and George felt that some water may have got into the sausages; so with the fat and possibly some water when they were pricked these amazing little geysers erupted. Not seen anything like it at any sausage sizzle.

31 brain dead dave { 08.01.12 at 10:34 am }

Well, at least Julie Goodwin had a crack. In fact, she always has a really big crack.

32 planb { 08.01.12 at 10:34 am }

My mother taught me to always prick sausages, but this was during pan-frying. Pricking sausages is a common practice. There are two schools of thought, here. To prick or not to prick. Have not eaten meat in years, so perhaps there are now strong rules about sausage pricking…

Think it was a mistake to poach the snags first. Which was why it became necessary to release excess fluid via the pricking.

I watched the show and saw all that explained very clearly, and I don’t work for channel ten.

33 Culinary Boner { 08.01.12 at 10:49 am }

I always thought poaching followed by grilling/frying was reserved for German-style sausages, like bratwurst.

“Bratwurst can be purchased either raw or fully cooked. When purchasing Bratwurst, the label should be read in order to determine how to cook the sausage. Fully cooked brats* can be grilled or pan-fried until browned at which point they are then ready to eat. Raw bratwurst should be cooked in simmering water for 10 minutes before browning on the grill or in a pan.”
(* that’s the snags, not the kids no matter how tempting)

The link below’s entry for kochwurst brought to mind that scandalous American tweet yesterday alleging that Aussie female swimmers are better hung than the average Aussie bloke. Pity Leisel Jones can no longer see hers standing up.

Hopefully The Corkers will cover the rowing and describe how they all throw their cox in the water.

Read more: The Best Ways to Cook German Sausages | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5285718_ways-cook-german-sausages.html#ixzz22Fadl4Uj

34 brain dead dave { 08.01.12 at 11:00 am }

The poaching was done to save time, I thought one of the amatas said.

Cheap ‘n nasty does it on Ma$terchef All Stars.

35 SEO { 05.10.13 at 2:59 pm }

Hi there! I simply would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice info
you’ve here on this post. I will likely
be coming again to your blog for more soon.

36 google seo supervisor { 05.26.13 at 9:04 pm }

Whats up! I simply want to give a huge thumbs up for the great information you have right here
on this post. I shall be coming back to your blog for extra
soon.

37 we got married seohyun ep 27 vietsub { 06.16.13 at 2:13 am }

Whats up! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs up
for the good info you could have right here on this post.

I might be coming again to your blog for more soon.