Masterchef All Stars – The Clayton’s Competition

Well silly me, and I thought Masterchef All Stars was going to be a competition to see who was the best of the best. However at the moment all we getting is team challenges with the chance of winning dollars for charity.

Now that is all very heart warming but starting to get very frustrating indeed. When Top Chef did their All Stars show, all those chefs were there to win and they were given financial incentive to do so.

Also when the mass eliminations commence which they will have to as the the show only goes for three weeks, it means that one mistake and you are out. Which could mean the best chef may not win, but then maybe that WOULD be in keeping with the original Masterchef format.

On the positive side the challenges have been entertaining.

Last night the prize was the winning team would get the chance tonight to cook off for money for their charity. Couldn’t they have given the $5000 each last night, and made the losing team cook off in an elimination tonight?

The judges are also being soft on them, Gary wanted to let Poh’s not so great onions through but Matt and George disagreed and sent her back to the bench. Also Kate Bracks should have been yellow carded for yelling out to Kumar from the balcony when he was about to completely stuff up. In the second challenge George was wandering around dropping not so subtle hints to them.

Anyway back to last night’s episode as with the other challenges in the All Star’s series they are repeats of challenges from the previous seasons.

First was the iconic onion chopping episode from season one and my what a mullet Chris Badenoch had. The person who presented one kilo of chopped onions won an advantage for their team. In the end it was between Marion and Poh withΒ Poh winning. For the record none of their knife skills looked that great compared to season four contestants.

The advantage was a good one, they were told what the dish was in the fix-the-dish relay challenge. Each team had to fix a bologanise sauce and make a pasta to go with it. On the red and yellow team only the captains knew what the dish was so they had to leave enough clues for the following team mates. And there were allegedly going to be time penalties for yelling out from the balcony.

This is something they should bring in for all challenges on Masterchef.

Kate kicked it off for the yellow team and put the pasta machine on the bench, however Kumar, bless him, did not notice it and thought he was making a pie. Now this was amusing until Kate yelled out to look around him. There should have been a five minute time penalty then and there, but Matt Preston only gave her a warning. This was bollocks. And it also would have been worse if they had penalised Poh for yelling out to Justine to get flour when she was at the pantry.

Team red looked like they were the strongest sauce wise however they stuffed up their pasta and made spaghetti and it was clumpy.

Team yellow were dreadful, Dani did not know what to do with the sauce at all. She also realised she had to put the water on to boil but then something happened and when the last team mate, Hayden came in he saw it was cold. They dished up underdone pasta with a sauce with chunks of carrot and no flavour. Also they were the only team not to stir the sauce through the pasta. It was a pile of meat on top of pasta.

Red team’s sauce was said to be salty, had Jonathan put too much parmesan cheese in? Conversely Julie Goodwin put sugar in her sauce much to Poh horror who was having conniptions on the balcony. In the end the blue team won probably because their pasta was better.

Julie, Poh, Chris and Justine will battle it out tonight in a challenge to win money for their charity.

1 Jess { 08.02.12 at 12:07 pm }

I watched the first episode of MasterChef China last night, and it too had an onion challenge. It is so intense. One of the contestants was eliminated, but wanted another chance…so he had to prove himself by literally shoving handfuls of diced onions into his eyes.
http://i.imgur.com/I8jR8.jpg (Does that judge look like a skinnier, Asian George to anyone else?)
And now I don’t think people should be able to complain about croquembouche anymore.

At the end of this episode…yeah, blue team were probably slightly better than red. Slightly.
But it made me realise that a lot of blue team’s failures have been Julie’s fault. Her choux pastry batter didn’t have enough eggs. She poached the sausages and poked them, letting out the fat. And then she dumped a bunch of sugar into the bolognese…
She’s almost becoming a liability to the team.

2 Culinary Boner { 08.02.12 at 12:26 pm }

Where this a ridgy-didge competition then Julie G would have lost the challenge for her team with her manic obsession about adding a truckload of sugar to the sauce.

When I saw the relay order the Blue team had chosen, I wondered why they decided to leave the final leg for their weakest cook.

Sugar in sauces and just about every other manufactured food is a US food industry obsession, probably originating from some sugarbeet farmer support law, that also infects a lot of food made locally. I can’t stand the sweetness of most of the Aussie brands of tomatoes. Though many homecooks have grown up on sweet savoury dishes and probably can’t resist adding extra sucrose. They’d probably do just as well to jump straight to adding ketchup – as in the final scenes of Goodfellas where Ray Liotta’s character laments the cruddy home delivery pasta he’s forced to eat since entering the witness-protection program.

Someone should tell Dick Smith that the reason why many people buy Italian-brand canned tomatoes over the locally-made stuff is not just due to price, but taste and the addition in the local stuff of inessential additives and flavourings. I’m sick of being lectured to about me patriotic duty to buy inferior locally-made food products by a bloke who made his money selling shabby overseas-made electronics and then sold the whole thing – including his precious effing name – to the sort of big corporate he now rails against.

Boner’s rant over.

Perhaps I should read Fifty Shades of Gray like the Aussie women’s swim team to relax, oh… and improve my performance where it counts.

3 Chunks { 08.02.12 at 12:39 pm }

I’m not sure that the all stars are doing themselves any favours by participating in this series. What have they been doing in the intervening years to hone their skills? Julie is a walking talking cooking one-woman disaster zone. Definitely backing the red team.

4 The Jazzcat { 08.02.12 at 1:14 pm }

When is the cooking and eliminations going to start? Double eliminate Dani – All Star? What a joke! And while I’m ranting – it’s time Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum and the Fat Controller went too!

5 Isabel { 08.02.12 at 1:33 pm }

Totally agree Chunks! I said yesterday and I’ll say it again, how ever did Julie win Series 1. She’s a walking disaster, messy, unkempt and awful. Dani and Kumar – well, perhaps they couldn’t get anyone else from that series to appear. I was flicking between that and the rowing, the latter a much better option.

6 Isabel { 08.02.12 at 1:34 pm }

And how young and SLIM did Gary and George look in Series 1!

7 Dunbi { 08.02.12 at 1:37 pm }

I really thought the producers would come up with something much more exciting and challenging. I don’t want to see them chopping onions, they should be far beyond the basics by now although by last night’s challenge some of them are obviously not.
Am hoping Chris or Justine win tonight, Julie is just a mess in the MC kitchen and Poh doesn’t seem to be quite with it at times.
I see they are moving MC to Melbourne next year.

8 brain dead dave { 08.02.12 at 1:39 pm }

Watching the Chinese Women’s Badminton team in action is more authentic than this culinary garbage.

Australia’s biggest ever cookbook author…what a joke. Get her off.

At least give us some Benny Hill music when she’s bouncing those unsightly jugs around,$hine.

9 Culinary Boner { 08.02.12 at 1:40 pm }

I’m rooting for Poh, but going for Chris

10 kugelhopf { 08.02.12 at 1:46 pm }

Dani regarding the cold water: “Somebody must have turned it off”. !!!

11 Morgan { 08.02.12 at 2:20 pm }

Not surprised at all that the Yellow Team bombed this challenge. Kate should’ve been yellow carded for yelling out to Kumar. I’d much rather have a Season 4 team consisting of Andy, Julia, Audra and Amina instead of Season 3. They couldn’t even get back the cooks that were actually good from that season, like Michael, Alana and Billy. Imagine if Alex and Andrew were brought back! LMAO!

Praying to god Dani and Julie go on Sunday.

12 kess { 08.02.12 at 2:37 pm }

Oooooooo this is quite interesting, it’s giving me a much clearer perspective on why i can’t stand Julie, and who i do like.
Julie is my fat sister – horrible messy cook who thinks her food is great, but she puts sugar in spag bol and pretty much everything she doesn’t deep fry.
Jono make my kind of spag bol, a little salty and parmesany. Sugary, yuck.
Post my Mum’s funeral, dinner with the priest, sister serves up sugary spag, we all take a bite and cringe and don’t eat. Chubby gobbles it up & priest asks for seconds.
Sugar addicts – the palate is totally stuffed up

Oh and both Kate & Julie are pushy and bossy, is that why they won?

13 Culinary Boner { 08.02.12 at 3:11 pm }

As most here seem to be squeezing in some Olympics viewing during the duller or more irksome parts of MCA All Stars, I bring to your attention this shocking news –

14 Culinary Boner { 08.02.12 at 3:13 pm }

Jess, how does one get to see MCA China?
It looks a hoot.

15 Joseph Skyrim { 08.02.12 at 3:13 pm }

@BDD – re: chinese women’s badminton team – lol total disqualification there! πŸ˜›

As I posted previously I like sweet spaghetti and whateveryone else thinks spaghetti is – yum yum yum for either. Still think Red team should have won purely because they didn’t have the advantage and still made an awesome dish as opposed to the Yellow team… I could just hear Dani mentally going “But I’ve never boiled water before!”

I really hope they let George keep his soccer cards to the next season though because I think it’s a good mechanic to get the “observers” to shut up. What’s that Bandy? Getting help during the FINAL? Pfft. On the individual level the time penalty will still work. Basically if caught, they will have an x minute penalty the next time they are in an individual challenge.

Just wanted to add Poh irritates me. Sorry Poh, but you do. :/

16 Joseph Skyrim { 08.02.12 at 3:18 pm }

Hmm Jess makes me want to see MC China! Did he get back in after “eyeing” the onions? If so maybe later the judges will be asking for sexual favours or for contestants to murder their families! Haha j/k. Seriously hope they don’t end up doing something like this though:

17 planb { 08.02.12 at 3:25 pm }

Chunks 3 – I agree. It’s quite worrying. They are damaging their ‘brand’. Those that have a brand.

In season one, I liked Julie and enjoyed her valiant efforts to pull herself together to go from bumbling nervous sweaty fumbler to the final two. I thought her food looked tasty. But this is not good. Poor thing must be dreadfully nervous.

Plus all the dirty looks they’re giving each other… Quite startling snarls in some cases.

At least the woo-hoo! count is low so far, though Kate Bracks has managed to knock one out.

18 lulu { 08.02.12 at 3:43 pm }

I agree with the person from before who said the thing I agree with now.
Tomatoes and sugar are a marriage made in heaven – if you have a large pot of tomato sauce, about 1/2 tbs of sugar is added. This is not to sweeten, but to neutralise the acidity of tomatoes, when cooked.
All the Italians I know do it, not a conspiracy … just a tomato/sugar thing, and it makes the sauce taste better.
Asian sauces also use palm or brown sugar, invariably … and how delicious.
That aside, the sight of Julie shovelling the stuff in, then out again, was pretty gross. Funny too, tho.’

19 Chunks { 08.02.12 at 3:45 pm }

Sorry Morgan but a Season 4 team without Ben is unthinkable! Audra will have to go.

20 Cheryl { 08.02.12 at 3:55 pm }

I think the only reason the yellow team weren’t given a time penalty is because the judges know that Kumar IS a time penalty, his 10 mins worth of work would have been 20 mins from someone else. And I also think the main reason they aren’t doing eliminations yet is to give all the cooks a chance to settle back into the competition headspace before kicking them off again otherwise they run the risk of losing someone like Marion much faster than they would want to.

21 Maz { 08.02.12 at 4:28 pm }

But Chunks-Ben and Andy are the one person so Audra can stay.

22 sue N { 08.02.12 at 6:13 pm }

my understanding is/was-

yellow card- a warning, but no time penalty (as per Poh’s warning when she told Justine what to get)
red card- a time penalty of 5 mins.

so even, if a yellow card had been given to Kate, whose transgression was less than Poh’s (IMO)- there still wouldn’t have been a time penalty, just a warning.

oh- & I thought yellow should have won- if the call was that close, as they didn’t have all the advantages the blue team did!

23 Robl { 08.02.12 at 7:46 pm }

Adam made the right choice in sidestepping this one due to filming commitments.

24 Morgan { 08.02.12 at 8:25 pm }

Of course Julie wins tonight with the easiest recipe. God, All Stars has been such a disappointment. Rolled my eyes back into my head when George said “That’s the spirit of All Stars” when Julie decided to split the money with Poh. Where’s the competitiveness?

25 brain dead dave { 08.02.12 at 9:33 pm }

# 25 is troll garbage and not me

26 Ari { 08.02.12 at 9:56 pm }

Wow it’s funny how everything was positive then things started getting negative. What do you guys want? You were all saying how it’s all “good fun” and now you’re all complaining because no one is getting eliminated?

It is good fun. I guess it is trying to revive the good old ‘family television’ it once was and not making it intense and competitive. I think All Stars is a nice alternative and happy viewing from the Olympics.

I still think that they are trying to make sure that everyone (or as many people) has had a chance to give some money to charity. I like that it’s more of a way to earn money for charity than a competition.

I still think that ‘all-stars’ shouldn’t be the “best” but the favourite contestants of the past seasons. Like they do in Amazing Race All-Stars the favourite and most entertaining people get on the show again (but TARAS it’s still very competitive and you see past contestants and their research on other contestants judging by their viewing and using that knowledge in their advantage).

I never saw this All-Stars season as an opportunity to see the best of the best. But it’s nice seeing everyone come back. Especially Jonathan. GO JONO!

27 PollyB { 08.02.12 at 10:12 pm }

Ok, she got the prize, now get her orf.

28 Jess { 08.03.12 at 1:28 am }

@Culinary Boner, Joseph Skyrim

Yes, the determined onion-eyes man eventually got through.
You can watch MasterChef China online. It’s a Shine co-production, so even if you don’t understand the language, the format is familiar enough that you can follow it pretty easily.
It’s also on youtube if that doesn’t work for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XtVjt6mqls

Some bits are different, though. Only one of the judges is a chef (Steven Liu who trained under Gordon Ramsay; he’s kind of sexy, but I lament over how much weight he will inevitably gain throughout the series). The other two are an actor/TV host, and a record producer. Rather than six-nights-a-week, the show will run as a twelve episode series. And, hey, they actually show all of the contestants’ food!
The “audition” segment of the first episode seemed really kitsch-y in that American Idol “people-who-dress-up-as-dinosaurs-to-audition” kind of way. There was one teenage boy who didn’t get through. In tears, he pulls his hands away from his eyes and bellows to the sky: “MOTHER, I’VE FAILED!”

I think their “Sunbeam” replacement sponsor is a brand called Joyoung. I don’t know what Joyoung does, but after Googling it…apparently they make soy milk makers. Hey, we do ice cream, they do soy milk.
I wonder who supplies the knives…

29 Joseph Skyrim { 08.03.12 at 8:33 am }

@Ari – hehe I still like it! Maybe they should have retained the “scoreboard” from MC Kids though that may be embarassing for some of their contestants? πŸ˜› Also are we getting a recap of yesterday because I missed it!

@Jess -thank you for the links! πŸ˜€

Side topic: What do y’all think about the “blade runner” guy and the girl who is also a guy person competing in the olympics? I think the first dude shouldn’t be allowed to run (he will though since there are no rules in place yet for him), while the second one should be ok to run in both men and womens races.

30 kingfisher { 08.03.12 at 9:38 am }

now tell me who had the hardest dish to do last night was it chris with his panocotta ,poh with matt moron’s choc tart or the pear tart certainly could not be the puddle pie ???? yes the puddle pie wins are you kidding me , a cheap looking crust with a simple passionfruit pudding it looked like nana’s cakes she makes good cakes but not masterchef cakes and for godsake’s shut up julie with your carry on crap !!! i am so sick of hearing her say , i’m under pressure and the fake panic attacks . you were a joke winner in series one and you still a joke winner in this series .

31 Reality Raver { 08.03.12 at 11:22 am }

Joseph Skyrim – that is the first time I have heard of the guy/girl thing at the olympics. Do you have a link to an article?

32 brain dead dave { 08.03.12 at 11:31 am }

I think you’re talking about the Zimbabwean flag carrier, who claims he/she was born with male and female hormones. Sitole, I think her name is. There’s been controversy over him/her before.

The blade runner goes like a shower of $hit. I think he should be restricted to competing against kangaroos and wallabies.

33 Joseph Skyrim { 08.03.12 at 1:45 pm }

Hehe it’s actually South African Flag Carrier BDD. No article per say RR, just look up Caster Semenya – thats his/her name. Blade runner of the same country is Oscar Pistorius.

34 brain dead dave { 08.03.12 at 1:54 pm }

How many “Lolas ” in these Games,Joseph? I read that Sitole was one, too. Thanks for clarifying.

35 Joseph Skyrim { 08.03.12 at 2:40 pm }

@BDD – didn’t realize there was more than one! ^_^

36 Socs { 08.03.12 at 4:42 pm }

Caster Semiya is a she–she’s been cleared to compete as a female. It irks me when people say that she’s a s/he; she may have both X and Y chromosomes, or that she has ambiguous genetelia, but the manner in which she’s been vilified has been awful. SBS had a really good doco on her a little while ago, but I don’t know if it’s still available to watch online. What is a ‘man’ and what is a ‘woman’ anyway? http://www.isna.org/faq/what_is_intersex

Anyway, good on Oscar Pistorius for not being held back by having no legs. I can’t even run as fast, and I’ve got both of mine!

37 brain dead dave { 08.03.12 at 4:47 pm }

According to Men At Work- women glow and men plunder.

38 Moo { 08.04.12 at 6:02 pm }

Something tells me Julie’s charity isn’t the Heart Foundation…

39 Socs { 08.04.12 at 6:35 pm }

OMG Jess, thanks so much for the Masterchef China links!! They are properly ah-mey-zeeen! All that shouting in your face (“is your passion in your knife or in the onions!!”), the dressing up–it’s fab. Can we get Shine to import some of the features over here?
Some of the food look really good, but I can’t believe that the pair of twin sisters got through by cooking instant noodles with chicken.

40 Jess { 08.08.12 at 2:21 am }

@Socs
Yeah, I didn’t quite get the twins either. I liked how some of the contestants were sneaking little sips of alcohol while cooking with it, though.
The second episode is out~