Masterchef Australia Moving To Melbourne – A Huge Loss To Sydney

Masterchef Australia appears to be shifting its production from Sydney to Melbourne, and this is not good news for Sydney.

Sure it might be “just a reality show” but it provided 260 jobs and it is a $30 million injection into the economy, and this is before you even add in the dollars and jobs that are made because of the ripple effect.

If this was a sporting event there would be all sorts of calls to action being made. And no sporting event has the international reach that Masterchef Australia has.

Masterchef Australia has been shown in over 150 countries overseas, it is free advertising for Sydney and Australia little wonder why Tourism Tasmania and Kangaroo Island were desperate to be involved this year.

Season Four is currently on air in India, a country Australian tourism honchos are currently targeting for potential tourists, and season one is again airing in the UK. Every episode there is a shot of the harbour bridge and the harbour. It also show Sydney as a foodie city.

Then there is the domestic tourism market, with this season alone it has attracted a total audience of over 80 million people over the run and remains the most watched annual TV show in Australia.

If the show moves to Melbourne it will be a huge loss for NSW.

Government subsides many industries to protect and create jobs, the car and film industry are prime examples of this. Consideration should be given to Government’s providing support, financial and otherwise, to reality TV programs.

Reality TV is an integral part of the TV industry and for the past few years have been the highest rating shows on our screens and viewers prefer the Australian made programs to the international shows.

It needs to be treated with the respect it deserves. Also any assistance this show or others receive would probably return a bigger bang for its buck with the number of viewers who see it both here and overseas.  Also the money is more likely to stay in Australia. There is the issue that if it is profitable should it be subsidised but in this case others have been benefitting off the Masterchef juggernaut.

Media inquiries to Network TEN reveal at this stage a location has been not been settled on and no decision has been made where next season will be filmed. They should be keeping their cards close to their chests to see which Government will do the most for them.

The Victorian Government are keen to get the show with a spokesperson for the Victorian Government saying  “If Shine Productions is considering bringing the television series Masterchef Australia to Melbourne, we would welcome this fitting addition to Australia’s most sophisticated culinary destination.

However they won’t reveal what they would be prepared to do to get it south of the border.

“The Victorian Government does not disclose publicly any discussions it may hold with business – these discussions are commercial-in-confidence.”

After inquiries to the NSW State Opposition Leaders office the acting opposition Leader Linda Burney put out a release saying it should stay in NSW and the Premier Barry O’Farrell needs to act urgently on this issue.

Linda Burney states “Premier bring in Tourism NSW, bring in Shine the production company – and do whatever it takes to ensure Masterchef never leaves NSW.”

This would indicate Linda Burney is saying financial incentives should be given to the show to ensure it stays in NSW.

The Acting Premier Andrew Stoner does indicate they are keen to retain it in NSW saying “The NSW Government is currently in talks with Shine Australia.”

But what I do know that once it is gone questions will be raised about how this was allowed to occur.

1 Culinary Boner { 08.02.12 at 5:40 pm }

What’s the policy of both parties on the judges?
Surely any financial support has to be made conditional on George learning some basic table manners?
Should they also lobby the federal government for a new income tax exemption for scarves masquerading as cravats?
Matt P must be going broke buying all them women’s scarves.
Does Sydney now have a supply problem?

2 Georgie { 08.02.12 at 5:47 pm }

Whoever was renting Shine the house on the water in the Eastern Suburbs will be pissed off.

3 Exessex { 08.02.12 at 6:34 pm }

Don’t worry NSW, you still have The Shire

4 brain dead dave { 08.02.12 at 6:40 pm }

There’s Being Lara Bingle , too. It’s all good.

5 Sue { 08.02.12 at 6:42 pm }

@ Exessex – BAHAHAHA!!

Good I say. Will look forward to it as a Victorian who gets sick of how Sydney-centred the media is.

6 JStar { 08.02.12 at 8:39 pm }

RR, I wonder how much say the judges have in this? I know judges can be replaced but I can’t see that happening soon. All three judges are from Melbourne and the show rates better in Victoria than NSW (not that viewing numbers determine things…..why then have the first game of the State of Origin played in Victoria except for a big fat cheque?)

7 Morgan { 08.02.12 at 9:01 pm }

I’m glad they are making the move to Melbourne. It has a much better food scene than Sydney, IMO.

8 librarygirl { 08.02.12 at 9:09 pm }

JStar, I feel fairly certain it would be because of the judges – George and Gary’s restaurants are in Melbourne, all 3 live here.
Bet you they get an immensely cheap deal on a site somewhere in the dreaded Docklands to film, and they rent a mansion on the beach near St Kilda or Brighton for the contestants. I think it’s exciting, I love a change.

9 Jruth { 08.02.12 at 9:29 pm }

@Georgie – the Masterchef house is already on the market (to prospective tenants). For just $7k a week it could be yours!

10 brain dead dave { 08.02.12 at 9:35 pm }

# 9 is troll garbage and not me.

11 JStar { 08.02.12 at 9:40 pm }

bdd – I don’t think anyone fell for post number 9. Now back to the women’s weightlifting! 😛

12 Ari { 08.02.12 at 9:46 pm }

I think it would be a fine touch to a brand new start to be honest. It would be exciting to see what Melbourne has to offer. I’ve never been to either Sydney or Melbourne (don’t judge me I’m stuck in Perth but I will soon move over to the East! Time will come) but both I’m sure are great places. BUT, Sydney is probably the only Australian city people know about. Everything about Australia is Sydney Sydney SYDNEY! Everything on TV is SYDNEY SYDNEY SYDNEY. Most Americans probably only know one Australian city and that’s SYDNEY! Sydney opera house. Sydney harbour bridge. Bondi. Etc. Is it weird that I have hardly seen ANY iconic footage of Sydney’s own CBD?

To be honest I don’t think that Sydney even NEEDS this show for tourism purposes. It’s that one city international folk probably only know of. HECK it was the only Australian city featured in that Monopoly international edition board game. I mean, East coast gets too much tourism love (Perth will hardly get any, I was even excited that MasterChef last season came to Perth!) but I would like some new scenery I guess. I just realised that we hardly get to see Melbourne. It’s somewhere I want to go someday and probably live in. And it will be exciting how much character Melbourne will play on the show being the artsy and foodie city I’ve heard it seems to be.

13 brain dead dave { 08.02.12 at 10:24 pm }

Just too bad there aren’t Gold Medals for getting drunk and vandalising shopfronts, J$tar~( see member of Aust “Men’s” rowing team incident)

14 planb { 08.02.12 at 11:56 pm }

This was rumoured to be happening previously and then it didn’t happen. Hope it doesn’t. I like the shots of the cars driving across the Harbour Bridge for no reason.

15 Dunbi { 08.03.12 at 12:30 am }

I like the idea. I love both Sydney and Melbourne but after four years in Sydney it would be nice to see different scenery, restaurants, markets and a new house for the contestants. It might give the programme the lift I think it needs.

16 Paul { 08.03.12 at 9:00 am }

JStar,
Yep you’re right – nobody fell for it.

17 Maz { 08.03.12 at 9:28 am }

Really can’t see NSW Govt coughing money up for this as they are broke.

It could be argued that VIC is the more natural home for the show with the judges and producers from there but it really is only a band aid solution to the malaise that has creeped into the show.

The geographical move just reinforces the prejudices that the judges/producers had about contestants’ cooking abilities based from where they are from. Still think Gary’s parting comments to Jules coming from NT when she was eliminated were patronising. Hate to see what it will be like when they move to their home territory.

And to the cookbook conspiracy angle (yes we “know” the cookbook is small change in the whole scheme) perhaps the publishers just want to increase their chance of getting a winner from VIC.

18 brain dead dave { 08.03.12 at 10:24 am }
19 Georgie { 08.03.12 at 12:04 pm }

Jruth – thanks for the link. I’ll check my bank balance and see if I can manage it. I could always sublet rooms to homeless cooks!

20 Culinary Boner { 08.03.12 at 12:15 pm }

Can’t wait for the Lygon Street challenge

21 A.P { 08.03.12 at 12:41 pm }

What about moving it to Brisbane? I agree a change in scenery will be good for the show and hopefully no more immunity pins or amazing race style challenges. I must have missed the post @9.

22 Culinary Boner { 08.03.12 at 4:15 pm }

“The Australian-made version of Masterchef has been a huge hit in India, among other countries – and nobody wants all those tourists drawn to Melbourne instead.” – from Linda Burney’s press release.

Hasn’t “Dumb, Drunk and Racist’ stymied that anyway?

23 Dr T { 08.03.12 at 6:40 pm }

CB #20 – I know a good Italian restaurant on Lygon St…

Maybe they should do what Australia did at Federation, and put MC 1/2 way between Sydney and Melbourne to keep everyone happy…

bdd #18 – go read comment 14 on the link you just posted… will provide some ammo for next time :-)

24 A.P { 08.03.12 at 9:14 pm }

Dr. T and BDD, thanks for the above link, it made interesting reading.
Seems like nothing much has changed in two and a half years, I didn’t realise it had been going on for so long, it could have been yesterday! LOL.

25 David { 08.04.12 at 7:22 pm }

A big fan of Masterchef Australia. Have watched all the season. Love to see how contestants cook some great food and there is so much of healthy competition. All are playing on their strengths and there is so much of healthy competition on the show.

26 Masterchef Australia Moving To Melbourne | reality ravings { 08.20.12 at 10:32 am }

[…] Great news for Melbourne and its chefs. It will certainly highlight the what Victoria has to offer. NSW as usual won’t realise what they have lost until it has gone, with production jobs, free advertising for their top restaurants and the showcasing of the city to tourists. Masterchef is currently showing all over the world including Sweden and India. Here were my thoughts on the matter when it was first rumoured to be moving. […]

27 tomek { 02.10.13 at 1:32 am }

lubie gotowac piec ja jestem polska przylep kolo zielona gora lubuskie masterchef gotowac australia

28 Georgie { 02.10.13 at 10:20 am }

tomek – powitać Jestem szczęśliwy, że można oglądać Masterchef Australia w Polsce

English: tomek – welcome I’m happy that you can watch Masterchef Australia in Poland