Masterchef All Stars – Kate Bracks Is Looking Like A Front Runner

Clearly there was not a dud dish on Masterchef Australia as every dish the judges tasted and feasted on they had nothing critical to say. Some would say they were enjoying the dishes, others might say they were indulging in one of the seven deadly sins – gluttony.

In fact on Top Chef there was a challenge once where the chefs had to cook a dish that reflected one of the seven deadly sins, it was a fun episode and maybe Masterchef should look at poaching the concept. The judges would be well equipped to judge the dishes. Oops in fact they have already done that challenge….

There is no doubt these All Stars can cook especially when they are are in their comfort zone and tonight all of them were.

The challenge was to recreate the dish they first did when they came into the Masterchef kitchen.

Some were luckier than others like Kate whose first dish was her coffee cake which won, however Poh had to make her cubic noodles with chicken dish one that was a huge disaster.

It did offer a chance for some of the contestants to redeem themselves. Marion was able to add prawns to her Green Papaya Salad, and Jonathan was going to make ice cream to go with the Rhubarb Crumble.

However what is it with Jonathan that he only fires up when he is up for elimination. He had 75 minutes and it appeared he did not get the vanilla ice cream on in time and had to turn it into custard. Seen that trick before on the show……

The judges were displeased when Jonathan did not admit there was a problem with his dish, and Gary growled “Where is the ice cream?”. However after criticising the custard as being too thin they did like the flavour.

Callum made a deconstructed Peaches and Ice Cream without the peaches but in that shape with a macadamia praline in the shape of a peach. He was smart and used a technique he had learnt in George’s restaurant, needless to say George loved it, and the judges cleaned the plate. I actually think Callum could win All Stars he is very focused and his techniques are good.

Justine was making a quick version of Coq Au Vin with Potato Dauphinoise the judges loved both but particularly the creamy potatoes.

Julia made a spicy roast chicken with corn and potatoes the type of stuff that is in “her cookbook”. I suspect the setting the corn husks on fire is not in the methodology part of her cookbook. Interesting editing issue early on there was a shot of her stuffing a chicken then later seeing her prepping the said chicken with no stuffing in it.

Chris was making Chicken Tagine this time with an actual Tagine pot. Scanpan would have been ecstatic to have their tagine again show cased on the series. It was interesting when Chris pointed out they had not had all the fancy equipment that the subsequent seasons had access to. The judges thought it was apricot chicken for the 21st century. Yes they loved it.

Poh’s  chance of redemption looked like it was faltering when her first batch of her home made noodles were again a disaster, however she had better luck a second time and her Char Tway Keow looked delicious.

Dani made Bun Cha which is a vietnamese street food, I am not sure how that took her 75 minutes to cook, however george said that is my heaven. Clearly light on the chilli.

Hayden did Moules Marinieres with Pommes Frites and this was described as “gorgeous”.

Kate made a more upmarket Coffee Cake with Vincotto Poached Pear and we had to watch George and Gary hoe into it for about two minutes, yeah we got it after 30 seconds that they thought it was delicious. She also managed to get a plug in for her cookbook.

The top four were Callum, Justine, Chris and Kate.

It was no surprise that Kate won is safe from tonight’s elimination, it appeared she just knocked Callum out of first place.

1 Anna { 08.08.12 at 9:03 am }

I had an idea there was a 7 Deadly Sins previously and googled it and it was in 2010. Jonathan’s dish, Lust, was a disaster.

2 Robl { 08.08.12 at 9:06 am }

Hey Kate please make that cake (which falls into your comfort zone) and which you have as a recipe in your cookbook. PS Season 3 was really good and we’re not deliberately gifting you with a lot of dessert challenges at all.

I said “fuck off” out loud three times watching this. One at Kate and the cookbook revelation, one at them pissing and moaning about Jonathan before even bothering to taste the dish and the other at the sheer inevitability of the useless Jimmy of cakes winning.

3 kugelhopf { 08.08.12 at 9:07 am }

I thought they did do a seven deadly sins cookoff in one of the series…
Also agree RR that Callum should win; what a sweet “kid” he is too.

4 Dunbi { 08.08.12 at 9:08 am }

Just what does Chris have to do to win something? Once again the judges went for something sweet. I thought Callum’s looked great and would have preferred him to win over Kate.

5 Chris W { 08.08.12 at 9:12 am }

This was a silly challenge as it wasn’t really possible to judge given that there was no commonality whatsoever in the dishes.

Not sure why there are so many anti-Kate posts on this site. She comes across as a decent cook and a nice lady. She may be a dessert queen, but everyone has a specialty – you wouldn’t go to George’s restaurant and ask him to make you a curry!

6 Maz { 08.08.12 at 9:18 am }

Enjoyed the extended product placement for Finish at the beginning of the episode. Rivetting stuff.

Seems first person’s dish tasted is the dish that wins so was fairly obvious that Kate had won before the first commercial break.

If it features in your cookbook then you shouldn’t be able to cook it for MCAS.

7 Joseph Skyrim { 08.08.12 at 9:19 am }

Thanks for the recap RR! I missed this ep! :/

8 Anna { 08.08.12 at 9:25 am }

There seems to be a lot of self-promotion during this series. References to cookbooks (Kate and Julie), TV shows (Poh and Julia), restaurants (Chris) and on one occasion Julie mentioned not just baking paper but GLAD baking paper.

9 Reality Raver { 08.08.12 at 10:08 am }

Speaking of TV shows Adam Liaw’s is starting tomorrow night on SBS.

oops my bad re: the seven deadly sins it appears they have already ripped that one off.

10 Reality Raver { 08.08.12 at 10:11 am }
11 PollyB { 08.08.12 at 10:50 am }

Why did Kate have to mention her charity is ‘Christian’? The Salvo’s are Christian, no-one needed to mention that.
I heard a Pom saying the other day, and I thought of Kate immediately – Gobby Mare. Whatever that means it just seems to fit her.
Callum is a ‘sweet’ kid, I’d love him for a nephew :)

12 fairybreadgirl { 08.08.12 at 10:58 am }

Top four should all get immunity if it was so close, of one of the other 3 gets eliminated it would be a farce. If it isn’t already.

13 Chris W { 08.08.12 at 11:23 am }

PollyB, why is it a problem for you that she mentioned “Christian”?

14 PollyB { 08.08.12 at 11:30 am }

Because she seems to be bringing an agenda. On her season she wouldn’t bow or something for the Dalai Lama cos she is Catholic or some Christian religion. I don’t have a problem with any religion if you suspect that. Each to his own, but I think best left out of cooking competitions.

15 Chunks { 08.08.12 at 11:46 am }

For the most part I tend not to dislike any of the contestants and just focus on the ones I really like, but Kate annoys the hell out of me and why is Julie still fumbling around the kitchen like someone with 10 thumbs after all this time? I’d love Callum to win this.

16 Morgan { 08.08.12 at 11:48 am }

I really think Callum should’ve won that challenge. Not to say Kate didn’t deserve to, as her dish did look great, but Callum’s showed a lot of techniques and it has shown how different he is to the Callum at the beginning of Season 2. The judges are seriously loving Kate.

Time for Dani to GTFO. It took her an hour and fifteen minutes to make a little stirfry?

17 brain dead dave { 08.08.12 at 11:51 am }

Dani didn’t seem to be particularly rapt to be left with the amatas facing culling. The two camera shots I saw of her with her mouth wedged tight and a pissed off look on her face were highlights.

She looks a goner. Just when she’s managed to get off the canvas in RR’s All Stars Poll,too. 10 out of 386 ain’t bad.

18 Chris W { 08.08.12 at 11:59 am }

Channel 10 has very cleverly found a way of bringing a home-shopping program to prime-time TV and getting us to watch it. We know that prices are “down” at Coles, MasterFoods supply the “best” spices, and even where to go to so we can copy the dress-style of our sartorial hosts. There is not a thing on MC that is not-sponsored, and virtually all contestants in All Stars have mentioned their current endeavours whether it be cookbooks or whatever. S4 Amina by her dress style advertised she was a Muslim. Does a 2 second mention that a charity is Christian really matter in the context of all the other pushing?

19 JK { 08.08.12 at 12:00 pm }

I loved Callum’s dish, it oozies out happiness!

20 Dunbi { 08.08.12 at 12:11 pm }

Gobby Mare would be the equivalent of calling a woman a Loudmouthed Cow.

21 brain dead dave { 08.08.12 at 12:14 pm }

For Kate, perhaps mentioning that a charity is Christian makes her feel good. Perhaps she’s trying to promote herself and her lifestyle as a Christian. Is she trying to say a Christian charity is better than another secular charity ?

Whatever. I don’t really want to know about her religion or what she thinks about the carbon tax.

But, since Kate ‘s brought it up, I think too often, Christian charities are just stealing in the the name of The Lord.

22 Chris W { 08.08.12 at 12:35 pm }

I think she says it is Christian simply because it is, and it means something to her. No big deal to anyone else. And while there certainly has been the odd example of Christian charities stealing and misrepresenting, the mainstream ones such as the Salvos and Vinnies are doing a power of good in the community.

23 Isabel { 08.08.12 at 12:58 pm }

I had to laugh when Julie said that in the first series she was disorganised and messy (or words to that effect) but that this time around she was calm! Her work area looks as unkempt as she does.

24 Sticky Date Pud { 08.08.12 at 1:15 pm }

With an Academy Award performance like that last night, Callum Calombaris is no doubt being positioned to win.

25 Dunbi { 08.08.12 at 1:17 pm }

I wonder where Matt Preston is?

26 PollyB { 08.08.12 at 1:20 pm }

Thanks Dunbi.

27 Jess { 08.08.12 at 2:27 pm }

It was convenient for Callum that maltodextrin just happened to be in the MasterChef pantry. Someone explain to me how the contestants end up with specialised ingredients/equipment on otherwise non-special challenges. Can they order them in?
And it’s not as if they just stock everything, either. They didn’t even have quail in one of the immunity challenges.

These “making past dishes” challenges are getting to me. The level of difficulty involved in the contestants’ dishes are inconsistent, so the judging isn’t on a level playing field.

28 Reality Raver { 08.08.12 at 2:40 pm }

Jess – They know what the challenge is so they can think about what they are cooking and get it in. So that is why some of the more obscure ingredients are in the pantry for some challenges. In a sense you can’t expect amateurs to cook on spur of the moment and come up with a sensational dish. Though maybe all stars should….But it would be unfair for the cooks who make more ethnic cuisines not to be able to produce the flavours because they are not in the pantry.

29 JK { 08.08.12 at 3:26 pm }

RR, hubby wants to know if the contestents are allowed to keep their aprons with their names on it?

30 A.P { 08.08.12 at 3:59 pm }

Polly B, have you heard the expression, Shut ya gob!, basically means shut your mouth, you talk too much!
I want to know where Matt Preston is too!
Julie is very disorganized and messy, I don’t know how she won Masterchef sometimes.

31 PollyB { 08.08.12 at 4:01 pm }

Julie has a good look for radio.

32 A.P { 08.08.12 at 4:04 pm }

Very true Polly B! I like Julie a lot but I would have thought she would have learnt a lot in the past couple of years but she still seems to get flustered easily.

33 Baz { 08.08.12 at 4:26 pm }

Robl, PollyB, Chunks – I may have shamelessly cheered reading your comments.

People have different perceptions of what they see on tv and I can’t help it if smug superior Kate annoys the crap out of me from the first moment she smeared my tv. That Dalai Lama farce only cemented my ill feelings towards that cow. She has to be my least favourite contestant ever and I’m sick of seeing her and her bloody cakes.

34 Chris W { 08.08.12 at 6:58 pm }

I haven’t noticed Kate being acting smug or superior, so I’m going to shamelessly chear for her once Johnno goes!

35 Sticky Date Pud { 08.08.12 at 7:00 pm }

Jess – this playing field looks so lopsided, it’s enough to make to make the Leaning Tower of Pisa look straight.

36 Sam { 08.19.12 at 2:24 pm }

Whoa- what’s with so many comments which are anti Kate and anti Christian? Why cannot she say she is a Christian? How is pushing a solely secular agenda any better? I think Christians have a right to enjoy good food and support any charity of their choice

37 darla williams { 01.15.14 at 8:07 pm }

Kate should never have won her season. There were so many obvious mistakes but I suppose if the judges (Matt Preston) want her to win, that’s it. When she and Matt were alone on the balcony
and the one relay challenge was not to let on, the name of the dish, and she gave a clue, she wasn’t given a yellow card, he said
he would deal with her, yet another contestant was given a yellow
card. Am watching the All Stars? in South Africa at the moment
and it is almost as if the challenges are designed around her.
She won on her coffee cake and thus avoided elimination, probably because she would have been out of her depth on the next challenge and could be facing elimination. I have lost respect for Masterchef. Have always enjoyed it so much.

38 darla williams { 01.15.14 at 8:10 pm }

Sorry made a mistake, she won on her coffee cake and was thus
protected from elimination on the following challenge.