Masterchef All Stars – Express Eliminations Continue – Two More Are Gone

Seriously so Jonathan Daddia was sneered at by Gary Mehigan for making chicken nuggets but all the other guises of crumbed fried chicken that were in the first round of tonight’s show were deemed to be high end? Jonathan seriously should have just called it something exotic maybe with a Japanese sound to it and that could have got  him over the line.

The challenge tonight saw Lilydale Chicken  as the “hero ingredient”. The All Stars had one chicken to cook with but they had to make sure it could last them three challenges.

In round one they had 30 minutes to cook a dish. Jonathan made tricked up nuggets and the judges were underwhelmed at what he was making, but somehow Julie’s veal parmigiana, Chris’s crumbed chicken with dipping sauce, and Dani’s Chilli Popcorn Chicken did not attract their criticism for being crumbed and fried.

It was interesting that the first three to be declared safe were the three All Stars that had cooked Asian dishes. Obviously they are full of flavour and they impressed the judges however neither Gary or George are experts in this cuisine. Lucky for Dani that George got over his chilli phobia and liked her dish. She joined Kate Bracks up on the balcony, as did Marion and Poh.

The judges appear to not want to be very critical of the contestants Justine’s dish was effusively praised even though the chicken was dry. As was Hayden’s burnt jerk chicken. Apparently blackened is a cajun cooking term but I think he may have taken it too far. Callum made dude food tacos with Gary declaring he could eat six of them…

Thankfully we did not have to see him eating them. In fact tonight there was far less masticating of food in the judging and it made for a better episode and the viewer still got to see all the dishes made.

The second round the remaining All Stars only had 20 minutes to cook and there were a lot of winglettes going around, though Hayden was massacring Chicken Yakatori. Justine was sent straight up to the balcony, followed by Chris and Callum.

The final round was between Jonathan, Hayden and Julie with two to be eliminated. Hayden cooked fried chicken wings, with Jonathan and Julie putting a more asian twist on theirs. In the end Julie was safe with the two boys gone. All the dishes were great according to the judges, and one wonders whether Julie was saved because you could not have the season one winner eliminated so soon in the series?

1 LB { 08.09.12 at 12:06 am }

The new Masterchef drinking game is a shot every time one of the “AllStars” mentions, oh so casually, their cook book. Ugh.
There is no way Justine is going anywhere in a hurry. Pleasant as she seems, there is no way the contestant who has a cooking show on Ch 10 is going to go anywhere soon.
The way Jonathan was spoken to was disgraceful. I generally don’t get too fired up by the judges bullying ways, but the way this contestant who was invited to appear on the show was treated was just downright rude. Even my partner, who detests the show & was only watching under sufferance, couldn’t believe how harshly he was treated.
As you said, RR, the others generally created similar dishes, but just tricked up the names of the dishes. Lame.
If there is any god, anywhere, please eliminate Poh quick smart (and also fling me the $20m in lotto this week…..)

2 sarnias { 08.09.12 at 12:17 am }

Julie is a good home cook, but aren’t most people out there? She should have been arseholed when the first lot went. The first series of masterchef was all about friggin lamb chops and mash and roasts. Don’t need to be Heston Bloomenwhateverthefuckhisnameis to pull them out of your arse. Chicken parmigiana, I ask you!!! She is a fave with George and Garry so she ain’t going nowhere in a hurry – more’s the pity.

3 Robl { 08.09.12 at 12:37 am }

“So do we flip a coin? no we have to make the best decision at this time”. Which is keeping in the S1 winner to protect our brand over two cooks who don’t have book deals and aren’t on TV.

They’re going to have to recruit new judges if they want a fifth series, because the Gary and George nepotism train has been exposed so badly within the last two weeks nobody is ever going to trust their opinions again. Matt Preston had the right idea not turning up.

4 Gidgit { 08.09.12 at 12:40 am }

Very basic easy cooking tonight. And Lillydale chickens are a rip off. I buy my from my butcher at Chatswood – big fat lovely juicy chicken for $6.99 – no lie.

And after watching Top Chef Masters (and yes I know they are professional chefs) it made tonights Masterchef All Stars look like the pimple faced teenager plopping frozen KFC pieces into hot oil.

5 Gidgit { 08.09.12 at 12:44 am }

Oh – and Justine is winning this. She is contracted to Ten – she has her own cooking show on Ten – if she doesn’t, once I get on Recipe to Riches I’ll kick a judge in the nuts! 😉

6 brain dead dave { 08.09.12 at 12:54 am }

I think the reason that Jowl$y is missing is that even he can’t keep a straight face while announcing to all and sundry that Julie Goodwin is again “safe” after blowing the judges away with the edgy counter meal she literally threw together tonight. Her own special signature treat ~ Chicken “Harmigiana”

7 alicia { 08.09.12 at 1:00 am }

Hayden seems to have become a lot more coherent. Jono was one of my faves in season 2 sad to see how the judges treat him.

8 Isabel { 08.09.12 at 6:42 am }

It’s a fix. I can’t believe they kept Julie! She is messy, unkempt and her food is the same and I’ll be outraged if she wins.

And Callum also has a book -is there anyone there who hasn’t?

I agree with everything you say Alicia.

9 PollyB { 08.09.12 at 6:59 am }

Yep, keep Julie to the final 3, 2 get booted and she looks like a winner, instead of being 3rd last, but she was never near last as it is all set up, even worse than MC. Whilst Gary was piling on the accolades for ‘Jules’ George was looking rather bored and was giving Gary a side look as if to say, Yeah, yeah, blah, blah.
I still find Hayden to be as boring as bat shit.

10 Morgan { 08.09.12 at 7:42 am }

If it weren’t for G+G’s stupid agenda Julie would’ve left. Seriously, a parmy, meatballs and *gasp* Vietnamese chicken wings! She keeps on proving why she never should have won Season 1. Jonathan was robbed! At this rate Julie and Dani will be the final 2. All Stars has to be on par, if not worse than Season 3.

11 ChasingVegas { 08.09.12 at 7:48 am }

I wouldn’t be eating Julie’s food, have you noticed the sweat pouring off her into the food??! ewww

12 ChasingVegas { 08.09.12 at 7:48 am }

where’s MATT?

13 PollyB { 08.09.12 at 7:55 am }

Not only Julie’s sweat, but the rings and that bangle dangling everywhere. And the ever present band aid. Vomit inducing. Really makes me gag to look at that sometimes.

14 Chris W { 08.09.12 at 8:30 am }

It’s getting harder and harder to maintain interest in this program when there is no real critique and it seems to be all about protected species. Neither Johnno nor Hayden seemed really fussed to be going.

15 librarygirl { 08.09.12 at 8:49 am }

Really cranky Julie was saved and Jono went.
I think she could dish up anything and they will keep her until the final three which will probably be Kate, Julie and Justine.

16 Dunbi { 08.09.12 at 9:19 am }

They shouldn’t have sent Justine up to the balcony before tasting all the dishes. Simply not fair and rude to the others still waiting.
Jonathan’s last dish looked delicious, my mouth was watering, but you just knew there was no way they would get rid of Julie no matter what she cooked. I wish it was just Matt Preston judging, I have never found him to be rude and on the whole he does offer constructive criticism.
Jono was popular with the viewers and sounds like he was well liked in the house, sad to see him go.
I thought I heard Callum say he had a cookbook, didn’t know this?

17 Foodiefan { 08.09.12 at 9:28 am }

Agree with pretty much all the comments so far. MC AS is a farce! Revisiting past challenges, allowing people to cook recipes from their cookbooks – ridiculous! The favouritism they show to some contestants is sickening! So disappointed that Julie dodged a bullet last night. It’s painful watching her cook. She’s messy, frazzled, and dangerous (how many band aids did she go through in the onion chopping challenge?). The judges even ridiculed her chopping ‘style’. I’m sure she’ll stay until the final 3 which I agree will be Julie, Kate and Justine (prob should bet on it!). I’m hoping Marion or Chris will win.

18 Whitewine { 08.09.12 at 9:38 am }

Ugh..Vietnamese chicken wings n cucumber?!…it just looked wet. For thatmatter Julie could have made white sauce n still be safe.

Agree Pollyb,think idea is to keep Julie till the final few so she still looks like a winner of sorts….The allstars have destroyed the little bit of credibility MC had. As fixed as can be. It’s just too obvious.

Jonoooo,poor poor jono..why did u return to this farce?…I know you must be knocking your head against the wall. All to be treated this way. Outrageous

19 Joseph Skyrim { 08.09.12 at 9:39 am }

Like most the above, I think Julie’s ranking saved her in the end as I would have picked Jono’s dish in the final bit. Gary also alluded to Jono being a funny guy (Julie mentions the same thing), shame we didn’t get to see too much of that in S2 where he was given the confident villain edit. Didn’t matter though as he still has fans. :)

Still was good to see him and Hayden again. Noticed they weren’t asked “what’s next” as Kumar and Aaron were? :( Also props to Hayden for filming a small “Boys Town” ad (his chosen charity). He’s the only one that I’ve seen has done so.

Still backing Justine! Been sick a few days so I’ve caught her cooking show – even Marion was on one ep as a guest. Methinks she makes good tv. ^_^

20 Joseph Skyrim { 08.09.12 at 9:40 am }

Eek! RR Post got eaten again! You should really feed your blog more often. 😉

21 kugelhopf { 08.09.12 at 9:43 am }

I’ve been an avid fan of MCA but only since series 2. I never saw series one but I’m just gobsmacked that Julie won. Really? She won? Really?

22 Kathl29 { 08.09.12 at 9:44 am }

It was so obvious Julie was going to stay as otherwise it would make her winning series one look as bad as most of us thought it was. She is getting through on home cooking which does have its place but the other contestants are plating up restaurant quality dishes. Julie seems not to have developed her skills like some of the others have.

The person who has really impressed me is Callum as when he made the final on series 2 I didn’t really think he deserved to be there but he is plating up some really good food now.

Sad to see that masterchef all stars has turned into a show where Gary and George attempt to justify Julie, Kate and Dani all deserving to be there instead of who is now the best cook.

23 Chunks { 08.09.12 at 11:32 am }

I’d love to see the contracts signed for this round. There must have been a hell of a lot of negotiating going on about who would be the last few standing, because there’s no way any of those with their own shows and restaurants would have been silly enough to risk being the first kicked off. Julie should be gone by now based on her performance. Based on my theory, Callum and Dani are the next two to go because they don’t have a series or a restaurant. Then things start to get interesting. Who had the most negotiating muscle?

24 lulu { 08.09.12 at 12:00 pm }

Kate, though annoying, is very competitive and produces excellent dishes – and so what if she didn’t bow to Tenzin Gyatso? He’s just a bloke … whose religion happens to be in vogue.
It’s almost painful to watch Julie in the kitchen; the way she spills, drops and roughly hurls food around, not to mention her manic stuffing of the chicken, wasn’t so much cooking, but animal husbandry. But she’s fun to watch.
If Julie had to do the pig-skewering like poor Deb, she would’ve done it with aplomb … would’ve come naturally.

Am sick of the ingratiating Marion and the sweet but sooky Callum and his weak little salads (all style, no substance). Justine (the girl-next-door) and Poh (Sino-vamp) are the darlings of this series.
As is Callum, who may get the sympathy win .. so he gets to cry again.

Therefore, go Chris! .. who can cook well, doesn’t carry on and is appealing in a rough-as-guts kind of way.

25 Georgie { 08.09.12 at 12:07 pm }

I only watched the first ep, but from what I’m reading Julie would get the ‘rough as guts’ award – for kitchen etiquette anyway.

Using the theory that you put yourself into the food you prepare – you know, feel the love etc. – there must be a lot of indigestion served up in Julie’s dishes.

26 Dunbi { 08.09.12 at 12:09 pm }

I wouldn’t be surprised if Chris goes, there’s not a lot of love between him and the judges and it’s a cake challenge tonight. They do seem to love Dani and I would be surprised if she went and after all Nigella thought her red velvet cupcakes were ‘fabulous.’

27 Daze { 08.09.12 at 12:38 pm }

The whole show is a farce, but its for Charity I remind myself as I tune in to watch who is going next. This is a problem with having an addictive personality – don’t really want to watch but have to watch, lol Thank goodness its Top 4 come next Wednesday night.
Callum has been the most inventive so far imo, Dani gets aways with doing little and still gets accolades, I’m fed up with all the faces Poh pulls, and I agree with Dunbi not a lot of lurve between Chris and G&G.

Also based on Chunks theory which I’m leaning towards, Julie & Kate will definitely be in Top 4 along with Justine and (Poh or Callum)? You can’t be a MC winner then not be in the top 2 or a winner of the MC AllStars, too much egg on face of the whole format.

Thought initially the Red team were the strongest, now they are down to 2 along with the Yellow team.

28 reality chick { 08.09.12 at 1:41 pm }

Agree with many comments above, last night’s show was lunacy. Firstly, unbelievable work from G&G sending Justine up to the balcony without trying the other dishes first. I honestly thought that dish looked like a bit of a dog’s breakfast but did they comment on presentation? Nada.

Teflon Julie is the most baffling though. Like one of the other commentors above said, her cooking skills just haven’t evolved. She seems like a sweet lady and some of her home cooking is great, but it’s so clear that she’s staying at that level, unlike many of the others who are now plating up restaurant quality dishes. That parmi was a bit woeful and I thought her last dish, compared to Jonno’s final dish, was definitely send-home quality. Uh, not quite.

29 Culinary Boner { 08.09.12 at 1:48 pm }

I jumped into Mount Doom after the Fellowship of the Nine Beef Wellingtons episode on Monday night.

I’ve got more important things to do than watch such a shoddy travesty of what should have been the best series of MCA yet.

I feel just like Tommy did when he crashed through that mirror … and found out that his mum was Ann-Margret.

I’mmm freeee….

30 Fifette { 08.09.12 at 1:53 pm }

Jonno certainly was the hero of last night, what a cracker of a dish he put up for 10 minutes! I note that MattCravatt seems to play the role of ‘keep the bastards honest’ with G&G; What was the deal with ushering Justine through? Go Jonno You are a worthy contender and someone I wouldn’t mind seeing more of on telly. ABC or SBS please take note.

31 Morgan { 08.09.12 at 2:10 pm }

Lulu – re: Julie – it’s like a trainwreck. So horrible to watch, yet you can’t look away.

re: Justine – They did the same thing with Wade in this year’s regular MC, IIRC.

I’m starting to think that there would be less agendas if Kate and Julie hadn’t been brought back. Other reality shows that have done All Star seasons (i.e. Project Runway, America’s Next Top Model) didn’t bring back winners.

32 gwen { 08.09.12 at 2:58 pm }

Agreed with all of you it has been planed and I’ am sure they are aware as to when they will be leaving the show. Jono last dish made me want to go get a chicken and herbs today for tonight dinner, it looked so great and simple to make. Julie, what a joke. Why would anyone want to buy her books ? all you have to do is get your mum’s Margaret Fulton or AWW books and find all Julie’s ” recipes”. Winner will be either Poh or Justine, maybe Marion. And poor Chris, i felt that burn when he grabed that handle, i did it many times while i was working as a chef and it hurts like hell.

33 Moo { 08.09.12 at 3:08 pm }

Fat Julie’s “credibility” would’ve been destroyed if she was eliminated – not like she had any to begin with, but anyway.

I wouldn’t be surprised if she goes on to win the show.

34 lulu { 08.09.12 at 3:33 pm }

Right, Morgan .. Julie’s great entertainment value.
Don’t think she’ll win it tho’ (contracted to Channel 9), but will get far enough to justify her S1 win … hehe.
Agree Gwen, the script for this show has already been written and the ‘winner’ decided, so for all of us to pontificate on whose dishes are good or not is irrelevant …. but what the hell, right?

Georgie, still lingering here a bit (malingering?) … afterglow.

35 Jess { 08.09.12 at 4:17 pm }

George said: “Jonathan, you cease to amaze me.”
As in…Jonathan stopped amazing George? But he looked so pleased with his dish, I don’t understand…

36 Chunks { 08.09.12 at 4:54 pm }

It’s all theatre Jess. George and Gary love to ham it up for the cameras. I’m sure their relationship with the contestants is quite different off camera, and have often heard that George is very entertaining.

37 Georgie { 08.09.12 at 5:14 pm }

lulu – Lol, I’ll be back on duty after the olympics. Win or lose, good coverage or bad, I love my sport. Truthfully though, I’ve slept through more than I’ve seen.

38 Culinary Boner { 08.09.12 at 5:18 pm }

Where did you hear this rumour, Chunks?
Because based on what I’ve seen George is about as entertaining as that old bald git who used to do all the pratfalls for the Benny Hill Show –

39 brain dead dave { 08.09.12 at 5:20 pm }

Agreed it’s theatre…but really, really bad theatre.

Can’t get enough of the bloke who broke his pole vault and nearly had it lodge in an extremely embarrassing place.

40 Georgie { 08.09.12 at 5:33 pm }

That pole vault drama was extreme bdd. I never thought about it being a dangerous sport before, but that poor bastard could have been impaled and gone down in the annals of Olympic history for all the wrong reasons.

41 Foodiefan { 08.09.12 at 7:09 pm }

Why are they revisiting past challenges all the time???? Couldn’t they come up with something better? I would’ve liked to see the contestants try new things and be faced with harder challenges, especially given they are supposed to be ‘All Stars’. I’m switching to re-runs of the day’s Olympics. This is lame! P.S: I would have loved to see Billy back. He had loads of personality.

42 Morgan { 08.09.12 at 8:47 pm }

Billy and Julia would’ve rocked tonight’s challenge.

43 Gwen { 08.09.12 at 10:12 pm }

Poor Callum, I can’t believe Garry would say nobody would be disadvantaged in tonight’s challenge. There are a lot more steps and ways to get it wrong with a Fruitcake than a Lemon sour cream cake or a Madeira cake and it takes a lot longer to bake too so no room for error.

44 Anon { 08.09.12 at 10:13 pm }

Yes make them do something different and challenging not dishes they have featured in their cookbooks and tv shows

45 Foodiefan { 08.10.12 at 6:32 pm }

I agree with you, Gwen. Callum had no chance with that fruit cake. I’m sure none of those judges would have been able to put up that cake in the time provided. Clearly not enough time to make a fruit cake and so unrealistic to think it would be done in time!

46 Gidgit { 08.10.12 at 7:02 pm }

Callum getting a fruit cake over the other selection of cakes – was a bit like giving someone a pork baked dinner to cook while the others have to heat up baked beans.