Masterchef All Stars – The CWA Challenge Suited Some Not Others

Seriously I don’t care about the camaraderie in the Masterchef Kitchen nor the pretence the All Stars are there to raise money for charity. The reason I am watching the show to see some good cooks, and interesting personalities battling it out for the All Star title.

These formats always have some charity related prize so it makes it look like that is why the person is appearing on the show. They also receive an appearance fee for the work they are doing, and so they should be. However the main motivator for the majority of the contestants is not giving some dollars to their favourite charity it is to increase or maintain their profile, flog their products, cookbooks or project. Hence Marion reading Callum’s cook book The Starter Kitchen at the beginning of the episode. I doubt she would be getting a recipe for a Masterchef challenge from it.

Why can’t they have a cracker prize for the contestants like $50,000 and a business mentor for six months, that would get them motivated to cook their heart outs and would end some of the jokey, jovial atmosphere.

It was the CWA challenge with eight cakes to be baked to their stringent rules. This was related to the debacle that was the CWA challenge in season two. However to be fair on the contestants in that challenge they were cooking outside in what looked liked ovens that were not great for baking.

Which cake the contestant had to cook was was  determined by a random whisk draw. Merle Parrish was back as were two other CWA ladies to judge and they were the ones to decide the winner.

Kate Brack’s must  have been thrilled that it was a cake challenge as again it was right in her skill specialty. She drew lamingtons. They had 100 minutes to cook which was fine for some but for others like Callum whose fruit cake needed an hour and twenty minutes to cook it was very tight indeed.

Chris was lucky and pulled Lemon Citrus Cake which required no decoration but he still burnt it around the edges and it was cracked. The judges were nice enough to say it was an even colour at the sides, and Chris showed a sense of humour by asking what his bottom was like. However just to ensure we got the joke the camera did a close up on his butt.

Callum’s fruit cake was under cooked as he spent extra time changing the baking paper in the cake tin to ensure there were no wrinkles at the sides as that would see him penalised under CWA rules, however in the end a sunken raw cake ensured he was never in the hunt for the $5000 first prize.

Marion drew the technically difficult chocolate honey rolled cake and did an OK job of it however even though the flavour was fabulous there  was no shiny outside nor was it rolled perfectly so she had no hope of winning.

Justine was making lumberjack cake which looked lovely, and Dani made a madeira cake which required five more minutes in the oven.

Poh had to cook a passionfruit cake and she forgot to put in egg whites she had to take the batter out of the tin and add it in. It did not impact on the outcome, as she ended up coming second. Kate was third with her lamingtons and Julie Goodwin won with her Neopolitan Cake. She won $5000 for her charity Oxfam.

1 Chris W { 08.10.12 at 8:45 am }

I suspect that was the first “contest” in MAS that Julie deserved to win! With $15,000 to her charity, surely she can be kicked off at the next hurdle without further embarassment so that the finals can be left to the better skilled cooks.

At least we got to see all the cakes this time, though editing ensured that there was no focus on Justine, Dani or Chris during the cooking.

2 Culinary Boner { 08.10.12 at 9:04 am }

Why no YMCA challenge?

3 Morgan { 08.10.12 at 9:31 am }

At least Julie didn’t win immunity, so there’s still some hope she’ll get booted on Sunday.

I also find it amazing that they have so much money to give away for All Stars, they’ve already earned more money than what Andy won in the finale.

4 Dunbi { 08.10.12 at 9:33 am }

That was ridiculous. Callum never stood a chance. He had 20 minutes to line his tin, measure out his ingredients, bring the fruit etc. to the boil, cool it off before adding the flour and eggs, then cook it. He should have been given an extra 10 minutes.

Why didn’t we see the Lumberjack cake cut and tasted? We didn’t even get to see Justine making it. I sort of understand why they didn’t show Chris or Dani’s preparations as both cakes were very plain but Lumberjack cake has apples, dates which have to be softened, cake cooked for 30 mins, then taken out of the oven to have the coconut topping (which has to be heated
in milk etc.) spread on top and cake returned to the oven. Far more interesting than watching Julie spreading her mixture in the tin. (Can you tell this is my most favourite cake?!)

I really thought Poh might have won, it would have been nice for her to have won the money in her own right.

5 Joseph Skyrim { 08.10.12 at 9:45 am }

CWA always a bit of meh. Seem to certainly have it out for Callum and Marion though. 😛

6 Dunbi { 08.10.12 at 9:53 am }

I wonder how you do roll the honey cake without losing the skin? I’ve made plenty of swiss rolls which are rolled out on a bed of sugar so you don’t have that problem. Maybe you spray the paper with cake spray.
Wasn’t it nice to see that glimpse of Billy. I wish they had asked him to take part in the series.

7 kingfisher { 08.10.12 at 10:16 am }

szzzzzzzzzz boring boring boring , jeez if i ever have trouble sleeping and the CWA bring out a story telling cd i will be the first to buy it and have the best sleep ever!!!!! oh and can someone tell merle to wear bloody sleeves urrrrh

8 Culinary Boner { 08.10.12 at 10:29 am }

It’s fun to stay at the Y M C A – DEATHSTAR – Y M C A

9 Robl { 08.10.12 at 10:40 am }

Thursday – Kate made a cake
Wednesday – Kate had immunity from making a cake
Tuesday – Kate made a cake
Monday – Kate had immunity for making a cake
Sunday – Kate made a Lemon Meringue which looked a bit cakey

Week 1 – Kate’s team won a cake making challenge. They lost all savoury challenges.

10 Morgan { 08.10.12 at 10:41 am }

Yeah, I wish we’d seen Justine this episode. The Lumberjack Cake was one of the more interesting cakes on offer.

Dunbi – Agreed 100% on Billy. He was my favourite of S3 and I wish he had won. I’m hoping he was asked to come back but declined, I can’t bare to think that Dani was given a spot over him.

11 Chris' Arse { 08.10.12 at 10:54 am }

Im not happy with all the attention I got last night. I thought that the camera shot of me was a bit surprising. I hadn’t even had time to comb my hairs. I’m just glad that the camera operator didn’t pan down any lower. Chris’ shoes have become quite the talking point around this body. His shoes seem to have grown considerably since the first season. They look like clown shoes. Considering his ehem ‘feet’ are particularly small, we can only wonder why he has chosen such large shoes- Chris’ Arse

12 JK { 08.10.12 at 10:55 am }

Thanks Dunbi for explaining what a Lumberjack Cake is, prior to this, I have absolutely no idea! Now it sounds delish! :)

13 Dunbi { 08.10.12 at 11:08 am }

You should try one JK. Easy to make, but oh so delicious, served cold as a piece of cake or hot with custard for dessert. I am ‘salivating!’
Chris’ Arse – Lol – is that you BDD?
Don’t forget the show starts at 6.30pm on Sunday instead of 7.30pm.

14 Isabel { 08.10.12 at 11:51 am }

Even Merle put out a book after her one and only appearance in a previous series:-)

15 brain dead dave { 08.10.12 at 12:13 pm }

That wouldn’t be me, Dunbi. I was more mesmerised with the leggings of Julie Goodwin and the colourful “fascinator” stretched over her Khyber Pass.

I’m still reeling from the Culinary Colossus in the Ma$terchef kitchen “winning”. It’s going to take Altijan and his forklift to get her out of there.

16 Georgie { 08.10.12 at 12:23 pm }

Rofl.

17 Chris W { 08.10.12 at 12:34 pm }

May be it’s Paul’s dark side!

18 Chunks { 08.10.12 at 12:51 pm }

The dark side of Paul’s moon, where the sun don’t shine.

19 brain dead dave { 08.10.12 at 12:54 pm }

“There is no dark side of the moon
Matter of fact it’s all dark”

Pink Floyd

20 littlepetal { 08.10.12 at 1:03 pm }

I read this about cancer taking toll on patients’ diets and restaurant owner George Calombaris will cook for cancer patients at Peter Mac on Thursday, as part of the centre’s 13th annual Guest Chef luncheon to encourage patients to eat and enjoy nourishing meals.

The event will focus on healthy meals that can be prepared in advance.

I hope George hold back on the salt and fats. He is the last person to be cooking a healthy meal.

21 Dunbi { 08.10.12 at 1:18 pm }

Ooh, you are all awful! :) :) :)

22 Georgie { 08.10.12 at 1:34 pm }

Careful not to speak into being:

“We’re just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl,
Year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.
Wish you were here.”

Pink Floyd

23 brain dead dave { 08.10.12 at 1:43 pm }

I’d quote some Meatloaf, but it makes me think of Julie Goodwin.

I Can See Pair Of Thighs By The Dashboard Light.

24 PollyB { 08.10.12 at 1:44 pm }

“‘Is there anybody in there”
Pink Floyd
“Is there anybody out there”
Pink Floyd

25 brain dead dave { 08.10.12 at 1:49 pm }

$hine On You Sweating Diamond.

26 Georgie { 08.10.12 at 1:57 pm }

“I can’t think of anything to say except…
I think it’s marvelous! HaHaHa!”

Pink Floyd
(Brain Damage)

27 Suziekue { 08.10.12 at 2:14 pm }

@ Dunbi – I agree – poor Callum – he had no chance. By my reckoning he actually had 10 mins to do all that prep before he got the cake in the oven. The CWA lady said the boiled fruit cake should be cooked for 1 hour 20 minutes. That left 10 minutes out of 90 mins. I make lots of boiled fruit cakes, and there is no way I could get one ready for the oven in 10 mins.

Now I’m toddling off to make a Lumberjack Cake…. yum

28 gwen { 08.10.12 at 2:31 pm }

wasn’t Billy the one that complained they were only getting $500/ week to be in Masterchef ? that would explained his absence form the ALL-STARS. .
The fruitcake had no place in this competition it takes way too long to make. Poor Callum, he really pulled the short straw or whisk in this case. thank God for him it’s not an elimination round

29 Jruth { 08.10.12 at 2:55 pm }

Ok, next week, can we please have some dessert-free challenges?!

30 Culinary Boner { 08.10.12 at 4:34 pm }

Sorry, Jruth, but no we can’t.
Certainly not while Gary and George are the ones tasting the food or while Julie and Kate are pre-ordained to appear in the final.
Four days without feeling the slightest need to watch this cods-wallop. And I can still stay informed by reading Raver’s recaps. Life is beautiful.

31 Isabel { 08.10.12 at 4:37 pm }

The people over at SMH feel the same way about Julie and Kate! And today’s recap (which I haven’t read yet) has been done by Adam …

32 Reality Raver { 08.10.12 at 7:57 pm }

Maybe they are having all the cake dessert challenges this week so MC winner Kate looks great and it is all savoury next week.

33 Sticky Date Pud { 08.10.12 at 8:28 pm }

The Circle’s dead but advertorial is very much alive and well on MasterChef.

We just had the staged stunt with Saint Marion doing the honours for Callum’s cookbook. And hasn’t Saint Marion already managed to get a plug in for her pre-packaged meal stuff? Come on down, Gary and show us your Master Food range of sauces. Oh, and let’s not forget gorgeous George and his endorsed product … OMG, I’ve forgotten what it is but I’m sure I can be reminded.

On another topic, my maths ain’t much chop, but am I right that we’ve now got a lopsided gender mix of All Stars? Only two blokes (Callum and Chris) left and a stack of birds? If my maths is anywhere near right (and I only have so many fingers and thumbs), me thinks quite a few of the lassies are for the high jump soon.

So in the All Stars charade, being male is like winning an immunity pin. Congratulations, Callum and Chris – looks like you’re not leaving any time soon.

34 Jruth { 08.10.12 at 8:36 pm }

Adam’s recap in the Age/SMH is hilarious and very entertaining. Which is more than can be said for last night’s show!

35 Reality Raver { 08.10.12 at 9:34 pm }

Considering all the shenanigans that go on this blog at times I thought this was an interesting article in relation to the Triple J announcer who did that lame joke on radio. Raises the issue of comedians and humour. though seems if you label yourself a comedian it gives you license to do a lot of things. Not quite sure I agree with all of it. Though if you are going to make a joke about a sensitive topic you have to make sure it is good. Not lame like Bollard’s was.

36 tvaddict { 08.11.12 at 9:44 pm }

Just thought I’d share this link, Adam has written a rather funny recap of this show for the SMH.

37 JRuth { 08.12.12 at 8:48 am }

Hi RR – is there a link to the article about Ballard’s comments? Thanks!

38 Jess { 08.12.12 at 6:11 pm }

Applications for next year’s MasterChef have begun! Though I’m not sure I believe that “Andy claim[ed] a well-deserved victory”…

39 Morgan { 08.13.12 at 2:01 pm }

I’m actually considering about applying for MCA5. Just for a bit of fun, and see how far I get. I mean if Alex from S3 and Mario from S4 can get on the show, I should have a good chance, right? I hope Yukio is auditioning again, I still can’t believe he didn’t make Top 24 this year.

40 Buzzy { 08.16.12 at 8:41 am }

Adam’s article was very funny. The blogs and articles are better than the show