Big Brother Australia – It’s Back And It Is Looking Like It Is Going To Be A Fun Ride

Well currently there are potentially more virgins in the Big Brother house then ethnic groups, and having Layla there from Manchester, England does not add diversity.

In an exciting launch episode it was disappointing that each person who kept on being put into the house was white and young, at the moment the oldest is 32 year old vintage girl Charne.

Surely there has to be at least one Asian in the house.

Also the doomsayers who thought the series could not reboot without Gretel Killeen were wrong. Sonia Kruger did a great job, keeping the conversation running but not dominating proceedings when viewers just wanted to find out was who the housemates were.

The episode started off with 26 year old advertising copy writer Michael going into the house. He has long red hair, and it looked like a wig or Brisbane’s version of a mullet. Predictably his hair already has its own Twitter account. He also looks like the type of guy that could star in an Australian version of the movie Clerks.

Will he be this year’s version of Chrisse Swan, she was a copy writer, and at this stage he appears to be the funniest person in the house.

Then it was time for all the females to be put in the parlour first in was Sarah a 30 year old car sales person from Dubbo. She has a boyfriend and seems a little bit dull and a little bit serious, but hey it is only the first episode. Her mantra was she is a glass is half full kind of person.

Angie the blonde 21 year old sales rep who loves hanging out with the boys was next in. You get the feeling that if Zoo magazine shuts down before she gets eliminated she is going to be very upset indeed.

Zoe is a 23 year old university student who is studying teaching who is from the country and has never had a boyfriend. She says she does not think it is right that people come to Australia by boat to claim refugee status. She also seems a tad excitable.

Cue potential future conflict with Estelle a public servant/law student from Victoria. She states she is into humanitarian issues, but don’t be surprised if she manages to get into conflict with people other than Zoe. One of the housemates is related to royalty and @MichaelIdato Senior TV Writer at the SMH said on Twitter that he thinks their is a Makim in the house, that is someone related to Jane Ferguson, who is Sarah Ferguson’s sister.

I think he might be right as Estelle (see below) does have a slight resememblence or maybe I am going with the rumour because she has pearls. Quite frankly I did not think pearls was a part of the skater girl look she is trying to give off.

Layla 24 year old from Manchester a former beauty salon owner she reckons she does not shut up. She looks like she would also fit into The Only Way Is Essex or Geordie Shore. She is currently unemployed and is living with her father. She looked like she was a tad shocked when she saw Josh enter the house, like she knew him or maybe she was just wanting to get to know him as at the moment he is the best looking guy there. Not that there is much competition.

Josh is a surfer/wannabe rock star so of course he is not in there for the fame….. He also works for Nova FM in Adelaide. When he was talking girls with the other two guys he did not seem adverse to getting some romance in the house.

Charne is a former “Miss Pin-Up Australia” she works in musical theatre restaurant as a cabaret singer on the Gold Coast and lives at home with her parents.

Stacey is a 24 year-old account manager from Sydney she is single and maybe it is her vernacular that is keeping her that way. She uses “cray cray”, “totes” and “amazeballs”, however her standard is not high her answer to Sonia’s question of “What type of guy are you looking for?”  was just “some guy who says yes with legs”. Maybe she should have gone on Farmer Wants A Wife instead.

Bradley was the last guy to enter the house. He is 18 year old from Coraki a very small town on the Northern Rivers of NSW. He works at his parents supermarket. He has never had a girlfriend and also suffers from a stutter.

At this stage the girls were in the pink parlour, and the guys were outside. The girls were set their first challenge of trying to match the secrets to the guys. However considering there are only three of the seven guys in the house it is a bit difficult.

The seven secrets of the guys are:

• I have the IQ of a genius;
  • I have Ornithophobia (fear of birds) because of an emu attack;
  • I have been fired from every job I have ever had;
  • I have not had a  girlfriend since I was 11;
  • I am a juvenile offender;
  • I have dated more than 100 women;
  • I am a multi millionaire.

If the girls manage to match the secrets they will be immune from elimination this week. The girls finally got to mingle with the guys and there did not appear to be any booze after their first glass of champagne. Were the girls just drinking water? No wonder it was an early night for all.

Michael did take a dip in the pool and Sarah was grilling poor Bradley and with some of the questions she was asking he must have thought she was a bit loopy.

Angie thought Josh had the IQ of a genius and sad “I would love to get him into a political or economical conversation and see how he goes”. Yes she would be lost in the first 30 seconds. Also Angie and Estelle were becoming BFFs.

It was a good first episode, disappointing about the lack of age and ethnic diversity, but it is nice to see a fresh version of Big Brother back on our screens.

Tomorrow night two more guys enter the house and one of them is the multi-millionaire, and by Wednesday night the full housemate quota will be full.

What did you think of the contestants? Do you have any idea which secret matches with each housemate?

1 bron { 08.14.12 at 12:10 am }

so. many. white. people.

anyway, my bet is on estelle and zoe getting into a fight first.

2 Belinda { 08.14.12 at 1:44 am }

I thought it was a good ep but let’s be honest-it’s on Channel 9 who traditionally prefer white males to host every single thing (see:the Olympics). If there was any way they could get away with it they wouldn’t have even had any girls there. The lack of ethnic diversity is pretty disgraceful in this day and age.

3 Isabel { 08.14.12 at 7:01 am }

I was flicking between this and MC – but think I’m going to enjoy it! Sonia is an inspired choice. I’ve no comment yet on any of the inmates – let’s see how they are after a week of sharing beds, no phones, lounging around in trackie daks ….. Already Michael looks a bit grubby.

I agree with Belinda, one token Maori/Pom is not enough ethnic diversity .. perhaps tonight will change that.

4 Diogenes { 08.14.12 at 8:05 am }

I was marking trial HSCs while this was on & only got the radio experience -if the audience is going to scream every time SK asks a question this show will get real old real fast.

I thought 9 was going to use “interesting people” – nobody I heard sounded like anybody I would like to spend any time with (but then I’m not the target demo).

The girls had that tone in their voice when they met that sounded just like my year 9 girls when they are about go all “bitch queen from hell” on each other all nicey nicey soooo fake .

5 Rob { 08.14.12 at 8:08 am }

I’m confused….everyone is so paranoid about “ethnic diversity” but shouldn’t the best cast members be chosen because they’re the best talent? Isn’t it more insulting to include the Muslim girl or the Aboriginal guy just because they’re Muslim or Aboriginal, even if they’re rubbish talent?

6 brain dead dave { 08.14.12 at 8:38 am }

The so far lack of age and ethnic diversity reminded me of The Block. Not that I’m expecting Big Burqa but you’ve got to mix it up a bit Ch9 for 2012.

I bet heaps of guys seek out “economical” conversations with Angie.

Layla looks the best of the eye candy so far. Agree with RR that Sonia Kruger did a good job and it was a pretty good episode.

7 Morgan { 08.14.12 at 8:54 am }

Launch night felt a bit underwelming compared to Ch10’s BB Launch Nights, but I think it will get better. I wouldn’t put it past Ch9 if the entire cast ends up being all Caucasian. *rolls eyes*

Aside from that, I’m liking most of the people there. Michael, Stacey, Estelle and Charne are my favourites so far. Estelle and Zoe will most definitely clash.

And Sonia will be a great host. Nowhere near as great as Gretel, but she’ll be better than Kyle and Jackie-O who hosted BB08.

8 Culinary Boner { 08.14.12 at 9:33 am }

“I have Ornithophobia (fear of birds) because of an emu attack”

What’s the bet Nine get Ozzie Ostrich in for a late night cameo?

9 Reality Raver { 08.14.12 at 9:41 am }

CB – LMAO – well as long as his side kick Darryl is not brought in I will be fine with that.

Rob – I think with 20,000 people applying surely there was a few non-anglos that would have been good. Australians from a different cultural background would have been great. Anyway we have four more to come in surely at least one must not be anglo.

10 Culinary Boner { 08.14.12 at 9:51 am }

I don’t know what’s more terrifying in this clip – the emu or the hairstyles… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSg0QvBnER8

11 Gidgit { 08.14.12 at 10:15 am }

Interesting – and I’ll be watching if only to completely take the piss out of it on Twitter. Not suprised they did not put any of the people they teased us with in the promo’s in the house. Bah, who wants to see people over 40, people from different ethnic backgrounds – you know – a wide variety of our Australian culture which Big Brother is really all about. Representing who we are. But lets face it – it’s Channel Nine. Not like they put a diversity of people in The Block either.

Channel Nine – we only put young white people on OUR reality shows – so there!

And if there is not a totally over the top gay guy going in there I will be pulling out my EXTRA nasty twitter snipes.

12 Gidgit { 08.14.12 at 10:18 am }

Oh, and if I was the producers – my list of people going in would be:

A hard core Christian
An athiest
A biker
A stripper
A Professor
Someone from Cronulla
A farmer type
A cranky old lady
…and me!

13 Culinary Boner { 08.14.12 at 10:28 am }

Why no…
Angry Anderson
Peter Reith…
Oh, that’s right, they’re on another reality show.

14 PollyB { 08.14.12 at 10:58 am }

I’m a 4th-6th gen white Aussie of completely Irish Mick ancestory (who won’t be watching this). I want to see a representation of Australia on our screens- that is people from all parts of all inhabited continents. Once again these TV types are insulting the viewer.

15 brain dead dave { 08.14.12 at 11:10 am }

The two guys going in tonight, going from the silhouettes on the promos are going to be whiteys , too. Beige Brother here we come.

Other suggested housemates:

Rolf Harris
Bindi Irwin
Lee Kernaghan
Kasey Chambers
Aust Men’s 4x 100 m freestyle team.
Skippy
Blinky Bill
Scotty Cam

Singer dude for the juvenile offender (he still is)

The secrets and their owners will be revealed on Sunday night, I saw this morning on Ch9.

16 A.P { 08.14.12 at 11:18 am }

I was disappointed that there was no one there over 32! The promos promised us a mixture of ages, not just bimbos as some of these girls seem to be! Hopefully some of the guys will be a bit older. It just makes it more interesting to watch, and if you don’t think older people are popular, remember that Terri who was in her fifties won last time!
It seems to be just a singles show at the moment with people hoping to hook up with each other which can get a bit boring.
The secrets are not really all that exciting so far and one girl was definitely asking that nerdy boy too many questions about if he had a fear of “anything that flys”, it was just so obvious and BB had told the girls not to ask questions about their secrets directly so don’t know why nothing was said about it.
PS, I would put BDD , CB and Georgie in the house, now that would be interesting!

17 PollyB { 08.14.12 at 11:23 am }
18 Arr { 08.14.12 at 11:28 am }

IMO the first show was a mess.

* Production values seemed particularly low, particularly special effects which looked noticeably poor on SD.
* The preview of the house seemed more like a showcase from the Price is Right. “And here we have our sparkly gold bathroom basin, which can all be yours if the PRICE! IS! RIGHT!”
* The casting so far shows that they learnt nothing from the gradual slide into mediocrity on Channel 10. Most of those girls are cookie cutter in personality and looks, if they’re not then that’s a massive editing failure (already! on the first show!).
* “The Secret” thing has been done to death in previous seasons yet ch 9 is pretending that it’s brand new. (Same with attractive law students, OH NO BET YOU DIDN’T SEE THAT ONE COMING).

19 brain dead dave { 08.14.12 at 11:31 am }

I’ve waited all my life to see the White Australia Policy revived and celebrated in a compound on the Gold Coast in “Dreamworld”.

20 Sioux Denim { 08.14.12 at 11:51 am }

I enjoyed the first night – thought SK did a great job…..

Michael actually was in one of those teaser ads too……I think Bradley has the juvi record.

Looking forward to seeing the new HM’s tomorrow.

21 Isabel { 08.14.12 at 12:04 pm }

SD – I thought I heard the voice over fella say that Bradley is the one with the fear of birds – but I could be wrong ….

22 Sioux Denim { 08.14.12 at 12:25 pm }

Ha-ha – no surprise there Isabel as I actually never guess a thing right on any Reality TV show EVER- and I am usually the kiss-of-death once I say that a person will win!!

23 Chunks { 08.14.12 at 12:32 pm }

Oom bah dalit ta da da da

24 kess { 08.14.12 at 12:52 pm }

It’s not really BB, there are no live feeds.
It’s something else, block/farmer without the focus point, mixed with…..9 manipulations.
Could be interesting, but it’s not BB, it’s more The Shire really.

25 brain dead dave { 08.14.12 at 12:53 pm }

Since emus can’t fly, I wonder how a phobia from a flightless bird attack is transferred to birds in general?

Sarah is kind of barking up the wrong tree with grilling Bradley about fears of “anything that flies”.That could include kites ,aircraft, darts, plates, frisbees and so on.

Bradley could be a candidate for ” been fired from every job he’s had” , given that he’s probably not been working for long and his parents can’t really fire him from the supermarket job.

26 Culinary Boner { 08.14.12 at 1:06 pm }

Good point bdd, he should be more frightened of velociraptors, especially in light of that rumour that Clive Palmer* was going to open a ridgy didge Jurassic Park on the Gold Coast.

* Though Australia’s cross between Sydney Greenstreet and Rodney Dangerfield scares me more.

27 A.P { 08.14.12 at 1:13 pm }

Sarah is probably not that intelligent BDD to figure that out!

28 Gidgit { 08.14.12 at 1:15 pm }

I’m just glad I didn’t waste time applying (I was thinking about it) – even if I showed up with daffodil’s growing from my butt, diamonds as teeth and two heads – turns out I would not have been considered seeing I’m 41.

29 Gidgit { 08.14.12 at 1:19 pm }

And watching those Mensa members in that pink room trying to figure out which guy has what secret was like watching four year olds trying to label another as a ‘smelly bum bum’. I’m 99% sure it will be a girl going first based on their discussion as to ‘who was who’.

30 A.P { 08.14.12 at 1:22 pm }

Gidgit, I’m older than than you so I would have had no chance!
When are the producers of these shows going to listen to us? BB works well if they get the right mix of people, are these girls rejects from The Shire?

31 Culinary Boner { 08.14.12 at 1:31 pm }

They should lob a grenade and drop Eva Cox and Helen Razer into the mix

32 Likes2Watch { 08.14.12 at 2:13 pm }

Nick Giannopoulos updated his facebook today with “Big Brother house must be in Ramsay St,
No Blacks, no Asians & no Wogs.” Considering the executive producer is Greek its very disappointing. lets hope for some housemate diversity tonight.

33 planb { 08.14.12 at 2:15 pm }

It’s not as if I was expecting Germaine Greer to waltz in, but they did go to great trouble to point out in their tv promos and in their press releases that we weren’t getting the same would-be Zoo model bimbos and lame 20-somethings. Cough. So we’ve got the same, plus poor Bradley who is Travis II.

Can’t wait for all the fascinating conversations to start.

34 Reality Raver { 08.14.12 at 2:31 pm }

AP -put BDD and Paul in the house now that would be interesting. I am joking Paul and BDD. Interesting that the old person would be interesting as they would find it harder to cope in my opinion, put in a few to give them an ally at least.

Planb – don’t discount Germaine I think she was in Celeb BB in the UK

35 planb { 08.14.12 at 3:22 pm }

Yes, she was, that’s why I mentioned her. But she sure as hell isn’t in this ‘revamped’ lineup.

36 Angelo Fortnuo { 08.14.12 at 4:22 pm }

I plan to take one crisp carrot (Coles fresh if you will), coat said taproot in some form of gel or sauce – perhaps a béarnaise or hollandaise – and proceed to gently wedge the aforementioned lubricated vegetable into my own rectal cavity.

Upon completion of the above act, I will be feasting on the fruits of my labour (vegetables of my labour simply doesn’t have the same ring to it).

I anticipate some backlash due to the vulgarity of this post, but I simply wish to describe or paint a picture of words for you all, the things I would rather do than watch another minute of Big Brother Australia.

Further recipes are available upon request.

37 Isabel { 08.14.12 at 4:27 pm }

As Rob Oakeshott said, it’s going to be beautiful in its ugliness. It will be cringeworthy, but a good laugh …