Everybody Dance Now – Gasping For Breathe

Everybody Dance Now rated 304,000 last night, which meant it had fewer viewers then last weeks The Shire episode and it makes NINE’s Excess Baggage look like a ratings success.

This is not good for the much hyped reality dance show and there will be some unhappy faces around Network TEN and Fremantle Media today. It would also appear the Network is talking to the sponsors. Can it be improved or saved? Unfortunately in TV land viewers will desert a show if there is a stench of failure to it.

It is a pity as Networks will shy away from a dance reality show, when in fact the market is ripe for one it just needs the right format and cast.

Last night’s episode followed the same format as the night before Jason and Kelly’s teams go head to head in four heats. The winner of those heats go head to head against one of the other acts and two teams win $10,000 each and they move forward to the quarter finals.

I have to be honest I watched the episode this morning and scrolled through it and the 90 minute episode took me less than 30 minutes to watch. I cut out the ads (obviously) and the pre and post dance hype of the judges. Kelly Rowland is working the room the same can’t be said for Jason Derulo. Maybe Kelly should have been balanced out by an Australian judge.

Again there were some great dance acts but it did make me wonder if they had put some of the best ones in the first episode, because Nobel Lakaev would have easily won  if he had been in the second episode. Does this format allow the best acts to get through to the final? Probably not.  This was a format issue for The Voice but no one really spoke about it (except me) because it was rating its kahunas off.

The highlights of the night were winner SAEA Banyana a female tribal group, the burlesque girl group who really smoked up the dance floor, and an indian dance troupe called Singh Sabha Bhangra. Also circus must be the new dance trend, as there was a girl with hoola hoops who was a little intense as well as one of the winners of the night Liam and Tamika who did an amazing circus acrobatic act.

Maybe it is time to bring back the tested format of So You Think You Can Dance, but the downside of that format is we would have missed seeing all these group performances and they have been the highlight thus far. However you do get to see peoples “journey” and emotionally connect with them.

Everybody Dance Now continues tonight on TEN at 8.00pm.

1 A.P { 08.14.12 at 1:58 pm }

As I said in the previous post, this show is going from bad to worse, its just awful!
Sarah, I just don’t understand why you would leave a reasonably top rating show like ANTM to do this rubbish.
Its too Americanized, too much screaming and shouting,its not suited to Sarah at all and really she doesn’t exactly need the money does she?

2 Joseph Skyrim { 08.14.12 at 2:22 pm }

I think this episode was all about bouncing. The crazy indian guys were doing it, Saea Banyana were doing it, the tap duo with basketballs were certainly doing it, and Kelly’s bra-less boobs were doing it too. 😛

Of all the acts tonight I sort of liked the silly tap dancer guys but they got ousted in the 2nd round by the fearless circus couple. Singh Sabha Bhangra surprised me by defeating a burlesque group of hot chicks (when the gay burlesque dudes made it through) only to be beaten by Saea Banyana who proved that people prefer women who are noisy and like to jiggle.

They really need to trim those ads though, as well as cut out the following bits:
-Jason/Kelly spruiking as to “why” the audience should vote. You mean the dancers ain’t good enough that they need this yet?
-The “practice”/”selection” whatever clips. They’re just going to do what they did -exactly-, so I don’t need to see clips of their initial display. You can keep the interviews, thats fine – but keep em short.
-The tall lady saying lines like: “Oh, they were good – what are you going to do opposing coach?” and “You still get to vote in 2 wildcards blah blah blah”. Seriously. Why not just record her lines since she says the exact same thing each time. Makes me appreciate the DWTS hosts more now.

Based on their website it looks like there’ll be a lot more than 2 wildcards though.

3 Reality Raver { 08.14.12 at 2:25 pm }

A.P – yes was just thinking it was like a WWF format which is not real popular here.

Joseph – love your thoughts and you are spot on.

4 Sue { 08.14.12 at 2:51 pm }

Yep, it is terrible. The dancers are great but everything else is terrible. I watched the first episode and won’t watch any more.

5 Culinary Boner { 08.14.12 at 3:20 pm }

“it makes NINE’s Excess Baggage look like a ratings success”….

Bring on Ajay, say I –

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh5HbwghIPY&feature=player_embedded#! –

or perhaps the more family-friendly Boohbahs –

that’ll get ’em watchin’.

6 Joseph Skyrim { 08.14.12 at 4:02 pm }

Hehe RR – WWF? World Wildlife Foundation? (they legally won their name and forced wrestling to change their abbreviation – go the pandas!) 😛

Forgot to mention in one of the backstage clips I saw capoeira dudes in the background! While it can be very pretty capoeira ain’t really a dance – I’ve got first hand, and foot-to-head experience. 😛 Still hope I get to see their stuff though, and I wonder if I know those dudes… they prolly registered along side Paradizo as it’s usually a package.

And yes, I’ve also gotten floored by girls that do that sexy carnivale stuff (they often do capoeira too). Man, I’m beginning to miss it. :(

7 KG { 08.14.12 at 4:28 pm }

I just wonder who’s got the time? Masterchef five or six days a week, Race three days this week, Dance on three nights in a row so far?? Big Brother starting last night and on nine or ten days a week?? Even if you tape, when do you get to watch?

They can’t all garner big audiences – so it’s a shame for the one that doesn’t grab people straight away.

Was counting on recovering from Olympic sleep deprivation this week. Went from hard Tour de France straight into the Olympics – at least Bradley and Cadel get to sleep and Cadel didn’t even make it through Olympic campaign – while those of us watching have to go to work as well.

8 Georgie { 08.15.12 at 7:31 am }

I watched part of this and was not impressed. We used to import overseas talent to give credibility to our TV and film productions – now it has the opposite affect. We have home grown world class dancers, so maybe none of them were available or chose not to be.

For the bit I saw, Liam and Tamika didn’t qualify as dancers IMO. It looked more like a talent quest than a dance show.

9 Bolders { 08.16.12 at 4:11 pm }

The whole production smells of hype and desparation. And as anyone who has looked around a bar late at night assessing the overconfident against the desparados, a quick exit is sometimes the best option you.

I do feel sorry for the eager beaver contestants.

10 Bolders { 08.16.12 at 4:23 pm }

typo: the best option you have.

11 Izobel2 { 08.16.12 at 5:24 pm }

I watched all of SYTYCD Aus & all of the US seasons that were aired here, and this show is a shocker. I tried it for 2 nights, but if I do watch it anymore I have to FF every thing that isn’t actually dancing. Darn it, because I was looking forward to it too.
The judges banter etc is totally awful and unecessary and that format is just silly. We have no time to ‘bond’ with the acts, and putting 2 up against each other doesn’t really work. Don’t like it.