The Amazing Race Australia – Off To Banff

OK so you watch this year’s series and you think you have what it takes to race around the world on The Amazing Race Australia you can now apply for Season Three here.Β This is fantastic news as it is a great show.

The Alpha male Paul is definitely not the most likeable character ever to be seen on TV, however this season of The Amazing Race Australia was better for having him and Steve in it.

Paul’s egocentric and egotistical view of the world is particularly funny when he talks himself up and then falls flat on his face sometimes literally like we saw tonight when he hopped off the ski lift after telling Steve not to slip. Or who can forget the first episode where they could not put together a raft and were second last to the pitstop.

However they have been up the front of the pack since then and have been winning race legs as they did on the previous episode where they got naked for a Fast Forward and were first to the pit stop.

They started off first and they were off to Banff National Park, but they had to get on one of two charter buses therefore the cops Shane and Andrew caught up with them. The second bus with the remaining three teams of the cheerleaders, Grace and Joseph, and the Italian girls were an hour behind.

The first task was to head toΒ a bar and ride a mechanical bull for sixty seconds in total, not all at once, otherwise they would all still be there. However there was the added incentive that the team that accrued the most amount of time would gain an extra clue.

When it was revealed that their next destination was not going to be open until the next morning the cops, and Grace and Joseph decided to go head to head with it. In the end Grace injured her hand as some of the others had and decided not to risk further injury.

It was quite funny to watch and it must have been hard as most were only staying on 10 seconds maximum before hitting the mat.

Steve told the Italian girls that he preferred to do another form of riding and Paul quipped back “you only last 15 seconds there as well!”.

Lucky for Shane and Andrew they were awarded a ten second head start on the other teams in the morning.

It was a Roadblock which was to climb a 25 metre frozen waterfall. Shane did it and they had finished it before the others had started and headed off to the detour.

They could either Search or Ski. Search was to use an device to find a beacon buried in a 4000 square meter area, or ski down a slalom course. They chose to ski. After slowly completing the course they were told to do it again as they had missed the finish line flags.

Back at the ice climb Paul finished just before Jo and Joseph. Considering Paul was the only one from all the teams that knew how to ski it was surprising they went to do the search detour. However after having difficulty doing it they return to the ski one.

As expected unco-ordinated and unfit Lucy was having trouble climbing the waterfall. She finally completed it after tears from her and Emilia they surprisingly decided to do the ski detour. However after they got their skis they had a lightbulb moment that maybe it was best for them to do the search detour.

Paul back at the ski run was hoping the other teams were still there so he could show them his ski moves. He was boasting about his black run experience however he was a novice getting off the chair lift and landed on his butt after telling Steve not to fall over.

He could only show the cheerleaders his moves as Joseph and Grace had already moved on. Grace who is more annoying than Beckaa from The Shire thought it was her sex appeal and charisma that had a man quickly tutor her on how to ski. He was probably doing it more out of politness. Β Her ditzy act is irritating, she was carrying the skis and said she did not even know what equipment was what. She seems to think this is endearing – it is not.

Props to the camera guys who would have had to ski with the teams. On this show the racers are only as good as their camera crew as they have to stop to allow them to catch up if they lag behind.

The cops were off to the dog sled trail to find their next clue hanging from a tree. There was no change in the order of teams following this challenge it looked like fun but was very straight forward.

The cops then headed straight to the Fairmont Hotel at Lake Louise to get their next clue out of an ice sculpture. They had an assortment of equipment they could use like stilettos and bottle openers they got it out and drove to the pit stop at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. They had finally won a leg and even Grant Bowler looked pleased for them, and they also won $10,000.

Grace and Joseph were second there.

The Alpha males and cheerleaders made it to the ice sculpture at the same time, but the alpha males thought the clue was where the Amazing Race flag was. Therefore the were chipping away at a sculpture that had a clue already taken from it.

The cheerleaders thought it was hilarious and were thankful the boys were not looking over at them to see that they were getting it lower down in the ice. The boys were pretty gobsmacked when the girls ran out of there with their clue to the pitstop.

Unfortunately for Emilia and Lucy the guys did work it out and got their clue and beat them to the pit stop. The girls making top five was amazing considering they arrived at the pit stops in the first two legs of the race. The girls kept it classy the whole way and showed that you don’t have to be a fiercely competitive to make it through the competition.

1 Mahlia { 08.14.12 at 12:43 pm }

The casting has made this season a real success.
My personal favourite was Sarah, for entertainment value.
But Paul is a close second.

2 PollyB { 08.14.12 at 12:43 pm }

This was a really good ep. The scenery was unbelievable. I’m not into the snow or the cold but I really want to get somewhere like that now. It looked amazing. The best part was Paul & Steve hacking the ice for no clue. Hilarious. I like Steve, he has always been able to see the funny side of screw ups.
The contestants on this show represent the broad cultural diversity of the inhabitants of Oz. I love it.
Sad to see Milly & Lu leave. Hopefully Joeseph & his most irritating sister are next out of there. Go the twins!

3 kewpie { 08.14.12 at 12:48 pm }

he is a disgrace… Paul, that is… to asians… but great entertainment value on TV! sometimes i have to wonder if he’s even real!

4 MG { 08.14.12 at 2:02 pm }

When do the applications close?

5 Chunks { 08.14.12 at 2:14 pm }

Have to say I actually quite like Paul and Steve. They’re very entertaining and pretty harmless really. However I’d like to see the twins or the cops win. Anyone but that other pair who shall not be named.

6 LB { 08.14.12 at 2:19 pm }

A fantastic episode with some amazing scenery, but the best part it was genuinely hilarious. Watching the cops on skis was gold & Steve does have a nice ability to laugh at himself.
Sorry to see the sisters go, as their self-deprecating sense of humour was great, as was their genuine friendship. But it was a miracle they made it as far as they did.
Hopefully, the cops are just coming into their own and, along with the twins, will wipe the smug smile off Paul’s face.

7 Reality Raver { 08.14.12 at 2:23 pm }

MG – applications close on 30 Sept http://go.mycastingnet.com/Apply/Show/TARAUS3 so you have plenty of time to you get yours in.

8 MG { 08.14.12 at 2:23 pm }

Don’t worry. I found it. 30th October is the closing date.

9 MG { 08.14.12 at 2:24 pm }

Thank you.

10 Reality Raver { 08.14.12 at 2:25 pm }

Oops my bad yes 30 October

11 par3182 { 08.14.12 at 2:48 pm }

I never realised Banff could be pronounced so many different ways.

I’ve lost most of my interest in the show now that Lucy & Emelia are gone; so happy they lasted as long as they did (and thankful they were saved by Dad & Daughter in episode one). Their appreciation for the race experience was incredibly touching.

Hopefully the Cheersisters will triumph over the obnoxious, the arrogant and the dull.

12 Paul - The Alpha Male { 08.14.12 at 2:53 pm }

I’m so honoured and flattered to receive the hate and emotional reactions I’ve provoked from the audience at large.

It’s so amusing to see not only the other contestants were feeling “We just want to beat Paul & Steve” has transferred well across to the audience too :)

As I am bemused by the fact that people crave failure in people that are confident, however, I’ve always acknowledged my flaws and am not afraid of failure, as you can grow & learn from it. I think people are simply hating in me what they see as weakness in themself and in a state of denial to appease this.

Once people stop convincing themselves that I’m trying to prove I’m better than everyone and realise I’m just trying to be the best that I can be, you too may grow and improve yourself.

I didn’t get to the flattering self perception I have by comparing myself against others and finding flaws in them to degrade them.

It takes guts to brag about things knowing the way the show loves to set you up for contradictory actions to words and how people will discredit you for being intelligent at the whim of any mistake, since obviously if you’re intelligent, you’re expected to be perfect and sarcasm has always been rather flavoursome for making a point.

Alas, I’m quite happy with the way I’ve been portrayed…exactly as I am…in a competitive environment. :)

Keep raging folks, lots of cuddles for you all and I hope you’re enjoying the ride!

XO

13 Reality Raver { 08.14.12 at 2:59 pm }

Paul – The Alpha Male – Thanks for your comment. Would you do another reality show?

14 PollyB { 08.14.12 at 3:01 pm }

Not hating on you Paul. You are actually good entertainment, so thanks for that :)

15 Andie { 08.14.12 at 3:02 pm }

Quite refreshing to have a competitor not blame ‘editing’!!!

16 Paul - The Alpha Male { 08.14.12 at 3:15 pm }

I don’t think I could be used for any other reality show. I would’ve loved to have done Survivor but now my reputation I’m sure would precede me!

Worst case scenario, you’d see me on something like Neighbours. *shudder* But I’m sure some people will still take my sarcasm seriously. lol

Realistically, the ride is fun, but I’m not craving any form of celebritism nor fearing suffering from withdrawal, reality stars are quickly forgotten and I’m happy for a new villain to attempt to take the torch for season 3 :)

Ironically, with all the attention the haters have given me (& Steve), if an All-stars format would ever potentially eventuate, we’re probably inevitably doomed for a reinvite to once again get Australia groaning and loving to hate us πŸ˜‰ I’d happily do it again, as I think any other contestant would.

On a side note, I own everything I’ve done, I’m happy to embrace the arrogance, not downplay it haha.

Also per an earlier comment, I’m not on the race representing Asians. I’m half Asian/Australian and could care less about racial antics, every race is beautiful and I certainly wouldn’t use one example to label a whole race. I’m a human representing humans and am in it for personal stakes to compete in The Amazing Race.

Coming from a background where I was an introverted fat kid bullied with racism and fat remarks, people perhaps would’ve sympathised with me. However, now that I’ve already had that behind me and picked myself up to prove that people that have come from crap can still be self confident and what-do-you-know arrogantly proud, it’s disappointing people still think of me less as a role model but prefer to aspire to not be associated with what that they perceive me as a ‘bad person’. Nonetheless, still anonymously making the world a slightly better place in that regard. Turning hate into rainbows πŸ˜‰

17 Gidgit { 08.14.12 at 3:29 pm }

God I love when someone is a dick – they turn it around that the people calling them out – do so because of their own faults and flaws. That’s the same as saying ‘I’m not racist…but…’.

Saldy but true – you put yourself ‘out there’ – as in go on a reality show – this day and age with twitter and facebook and forums, you are opening yourself up for absolutely scruteny. If one is fragile or does not like to hear negative things – I suggest working in a factory and avoiding entering reality shows at all cost.

As they say in Flying High “you bought your ticket, you knew what you were in for – I say let ’em crash’.

18 Sioux Denim { 08.14.12 at 3:32 pm }

Great recap RR – indeed was sad to see the sisters go – they must have been stoked to get as far as they did!

Thanks Paul for your comments – really great to hear it from your perspective. I at first thought you were a knob (after the alleged push to one of the Cheersisters- good one par3182) but really have enjoyed watching you in the latter part of the race. The fact that you and Steve can laugh at yourselves makes you both pretty good competitor’s. I am also a very competitive person and know I would come across as a total knob too if on the show – good luck to you!

19 Culinary Boner { 08.14.12 at 3:40 pm }

Paul, this is a NSW-Qld footy analogy you may not get, but clearly your personality, as portrayed on this show, is more Chris Walker*
than Craig Wing**

* a puffed up, talented, but arrogantly under-achieving footy player who’s over-blown regard for his own prowess and importance saw him go from superstar status to that of a journeyman unwanted by most clubs

** a legendary Asian-Australian footy player (skippy dad; filipina mum) who let his skill (and hard work) on the footy field do all the talking, quietly battling injury, the odd form slump, and playing in whatever position his coach needed him to play in a career that included playing for Australia and winning an NRL grand final

I know which of these two competitive individuals I still admire.

20 Paul - The Alpha Male { 08.14.12 at 3:48 pm }

Woe is me if I was actually trying to please everyone :)

You’re in it for the entertainment, I’m in it for the experience.

I’m not actually defending myself to try to pretend I’m something that I am not. However, if you’re narrow minded to want to assume that we’re all cartoonish one dimensional people with personality disorders, then at the very least, I hope we’re entertaining :)

It’s up to you to interpret me as you will, not interested to convince otherwise. I’m on the race to try to be competitive and win it, not to win popularity contests.

Also, if you haven’t quite noticed yet, I’m comfortable with people hating/disliking me. Maybe if I was running for politics, I’d actually care about trying to please everyone πŸ˜‰

21 Paul { 08.14.12 at 4:23 pm }

My namesake is absolutely carving up all those anonymous haters out there – Great to read.

I didn’t watch TARA and am beginning to regret that now.

22 Gidgit { 08.14.12 at 4:26 pm }

Welp on the bright side ‘semi Alpha’, you are going to be kept nice and busy going around DEFENDING yourself if you are planning on getting all nasty pants on everyone that thinks you are a dick (which I still do by the way). Good luck! Might want to hire a secretary.

23 Culinary Boner { 08.14.12 at 5:06 pm }

Where is the hate?
My comments have contrasted Paul’s live-action rhetoric about his machismo capabilities as expressed on the show with his actual performance – the very unmasculine and sooky pouting at the raft building challenge, especially when compared to the two very unathletic Italian-Australian girls.
I agree that it is good that Paul da Alpha is willing to comment on this blog and – in relatively dignified performance, especially when compared to Charlotte Dawson’s nutjob spray a few months ago – respond with his views on his personality and TV performance.
Hey Paul (the Alpha)! Perhaps you should become a regular here.

Anyway, according to the most alpha of all males, it would have been unnatural not to bone Kylie – http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/jcvd-kylie-minogue-affair-1994__oPt.jpg . Bloody oath!!!

24 Chunks { 08.14.12 at 6:02 pm }

CB, there’s definitely some hate in a few of the comments here today and Alpha Paul has responded quite well to them really. Good on you Paul, the race would not have been as enjoyable with you. But I do think Steve has the best bum…

25 par3182 { 08.14.12 at 7:35 pm }

Paul – just curious; are you legally permitted to comment on blogs before the show has finished airing?

And can you come back after the finale and give us some backstage insight? Camera crews, customs, etc?

26 Reality Raver { 08.14.12 at 8:22 pm }

par3182 – I am sure it is fine they are more lenient with social media usage these days as it promotes the show.

27 PollyB { 08.14.12 at 10:14 pm }

Paul was on one of my local radio stations this morning. Only heard a few seconds as flicking stations on way to work. He seemed to be laughing at himself wholeheartedly.

28 Kampy { 08.16.12 at 3:04 pm }

Pauls a champ. Nothing wrong with being competitive.

The other contestants were weak. Imagine if you crossed some of them and got on their bad sides. The way Paul handled himself was excellent expecially when everyone was bashing him.

Champ!