Big Brother Australia – The Groups Are Starting To Form

The housemates have shown that lock a small group of people in a compound and they will take on behaviours of chimpanzees. They have started preening and primiping each other as well as breaking up into small groups.

What is interesting about human behaviour is that even with a small group of people living together for three days and they can not live in unity. Hierarchies and groups are already forming. Like Survivor the housemates know that to ensure they are not nominated they need an alliance and they need to ensure someone is below them on the food chain.

This is the reason I watch the show, the human interaction and game playing not the getting up in silly clothes and dancing. However if this makes them tired and on edge I am fine with that, as it means they will let their guard down more.

Unfortunately for Bradley he currently appears to be at the bottom of the food chain. For him reality TV appears to be the same as real life. After the initial excitement of being in the house his awkward personality has meant he has pissed Stacey off by saying she looked older than the other girls her age.

This led to a number of the housemates bitching about him in the bathroom. However Stacey decided to continue to mind f**k him in the bedroom and you could see he was confused to what games she was playing. I like Stacey however if she continues to use Bradley as blood sport she may put the viewer off side.

A few other quick thoughts on the episode:

• Ryan who is used to being an alpha male outside the house because of his looks, appears to not be gelling with the housemates, not sure at this stage whether it is personality or just that he is not that bright. When Big Brother asked him how many chapters there were to him, all I could think of was a blank page.
  • The housemates first attempt at discussing politics did not show any great insights into the topic. Estelle decided she needed to stop talking about it as she could “talk about it all night”. Oh yes Estelle is the claytons intellectual in the house.
  • Charne again was missing in action but she revealed later to Ben she was keeping out of all the shenanigans, but in the end will this isolate her from the group and make her a target?
  • Zoe has a mega crush on George and since she has told all the girls if one of them rains on her parade it could get ugly and once it is revealed he is the millionaire see them flock.
  • Speaking of romance Estelle and Josh look like they might hook up.
  • Finally if this week’s task to get rewards stuff up it will be Michael. He looked particularly underwhelmed about winning a gym.
Also the call is getting louder for live feeds of the house over the internet say TV Tonight. Personally I am shocked they do not have them imagine the 24 hour chatter over Facebook and Twitter as people watched.

What dynamics are you observing in the house?

1 joan { 08.17.12 at 10:53 am }

I am done with the show. Naughty corner finished it for me, no hot guys.

2 Mahlia { 08.17.12 at 10:59 am }

Great review.
It’s not the radically different series that it promised to be in any way and, at the moment, I am struggling to stay with it.
I also like playing amatuer socioligist in watching and maybe it will be better when they start to annoy each other.

Stacey has already lost me (and others on Twitter I notice) because she appears to be playing with Bradley and that can be seen as unkind.

Ryan is definitely a thickhead (hello President Gordon Brown btw) as is often the case when someone thinks he is better than everyone else simply because he considers himself very good looking AND a model!!!

3 Cookie { 08.17.12 at 11:04 am }

I find Stacey horrible to watch. She’s like a creepy sexual predator. And yes I agree. If she keeps using Brad for blood sport then people will turn on her (like I already have). I don’t mind Michael and Ben, don’t really have an opinion on everyone else apart from Ryan. I can’t stand him! Total idiot. What, did he read a trivia book before going into the house so he can seem intelligent…yet fudge the facts when trying to ‘wow’ people with his knowledge lol. Loser.
I’d love to see some live feeds on their website. I’m surprised they aren’t doing that. Silly not to.

4 JK { 08.17.12 at 11:16 am }

I wonder if they give the housemates laxatives as they have done in last sessions?

5 Mia { 08.17.12 at 11:29 am }

I tried… I really did… but I’m done with BB.
I don’t relate to any of the HM’s. They’re all so inane. Five minutes in The Parlor with those girls would render my certifiable and/or homicidal (justifiably, I’d argue). I can’t bear another banal second of this show.

Maybe I’ve just moved on sine BB08, maybe it’s the Channel Nine-astion of the show, or maybe it’s because I’m not Gen Y enough to get this season’s cast – whatever the case, the spell has been completely broken for me.

6 The Oracle { 08.17.12 at 11:34 am }

This series would have to be full of the most moronic housemates ever.I have watched the series for the week but am really struggling with self questions such as:
“Am I really dumbing myself down to watch these idiots?”
“Are the so called generation”y-ers” the most vacuous, self-centred, intellectually-deficient generation yet?
Is veterinary science and the Law in such a parlous position that it attracts such persons to the profession?(which makes me think that a few housemates are telling “porkies”)
Why don’t these individuals go and do something really worthwhile with their lives?
Why has Sonia Kruger not immediately sacked her wardrobe consultant after the “Sergeant Pepper Skank” debacle?….honestly there’s only so far a 47 yr old woman can get away with the mutton dressed up as lamb look. At least last night was an improvement.
Am prepared to give it a few more nights viewing ..but not holding my breath that I’ll stick with it.

7 planb { 08.17.12 at 11:52 am }

JK – 4

What?! That’s interesting. Makes sense all normal functions would shut down in that environment.

I am still confused that they put so much effort into the false advertising for this series. Isn’t that a breach of the Code of Practice? I don’t think they should be allowed to sell us a pup like that. I’d watch anyway, but I feel so let down. The bulk of this lot make the boob-obsessed bimbos and waxed boofheads on previous series of BB seem like witty bright sparks.

8 A.P { 08.17.12 at 12:15 pm }

I’m with you Planb, according to the promos I was expecting much more diversity in the housemates. I’m still sticking with it because I’m like RR in the fact that I enjoy watching the interactions between the groups and hopefully it will get more interesting.
They are so dumb though talking about who is “president of the UK” and who was on the cover of Time magazine in 1958! I know that seems a long time ago to them but do they not know WW2 ended in 1945 and Hitler was on the cover around that time , (1938) not 1958!
I still don’t know which girl is which, they talk too much about nothing!

9 brain dead dave { 08.17.12 at 12:41 pm }

Ch 9 flogged this show mercilessly during the Olympics and already the uneasy feeling that BB 12 packs about as much punch as the Men’s 4x100m Freestyle relay team.

Perhaps a bit early to blame an entire generation for the avalanche of mediocrity we’ve seen so far. The producers seemed to give the impression during the promotional shock and awe they had some interesting housemates this year. Fail. If they’ve rorted the “audition” process and used casting agencies in selecting their test animals , as has been suggested here on these blogs, then oh well, karma’s a bitch, because real laboratory rats would be a bigger hoot to watch than what we have. Make them all white rats but one can have gold teeth and dreads.

Yes, I’m jumping off the Stacey train pretty quickly, too. One of the older guys or girls needs to tell Brad that he was on a taboo topic there – or just let himself dig himself a bigger grave.

Isn’t constipation a no pun intended , a bigger issue when you’re away from home? We want the housemates to harden up but BB desires the opposite. Maybe he’s handing out the laxatives because he knows rats communicate via their faeces.

I’ve heard that the previous BB House pongs pretty bad, even weeks/months after the last evictee has blown through.

10 Bolders { 08.17.12 at 2:00 pm }

It’s the inane statements that get to me (I can’t really describe it as conversations because there would have to be less posturing involved) AND the affectations:

– calling people babe
– telling people you love them.
– talking without really saying anything.

It was the same thing with all the other BB episodes. It’s just now the audience is a little battle weary and the side-show carnival aspect of this whole thing has lost it’s appeal. We used to stare in wonder now it’s with disgust or boredom.

11 Buttons { 08.17.12 at 2:21 pm }

Gotta say last night’s (Thursday) episode was extremely dull. Hard to form any firm opinion on any of the housemates when all we are shown is snippets of footage edited by Channel 9. Can’t say any of the conversations shown were of any interest to me.

Sarah reminds me a bit of a dark-haired Delta Goodrem, and I think Zoe looks just like Khloe Kardashian!

12 Bolders { 08.17.12 at 2:26 pm }

And the standard of the “conversations”!! Sheesh, we get such gold nuggets as:

– “yeah, but nah…I dunno”
-” I just… yeah.”
– “nah, yeah.. I dunno.”

Seriously though, are they fed pills before they go in?

13 Sioux Denim { 08.17.12 at 2:39 pm }

I just felt SO old last night watching the show – man, I had no idea what B-Rad had done to upset Stacey – then she mind-fcuked him in the bedroom – what was that!! Think you are right BDD, some-one might have to pull him aside for a chat or he’s goneski’s!

I really like Charne but do not seem to see/hear a lot from her – if this behaviour continues she will probably be the target for nominations with the old line – “we havent got to know her” ‘or we havent ‘connected'”….

I’m thinking Josh is kinda smart – maybe he could have the high IQ – or even Michael – they both growing on me.

Got one comment on Ryan – he is a goose!

Will stick with it for another week or so – just want to see the cliques forming…………..

14 Angelo Fortnuo { 08.17.12 at 2:44 pm }

As per my previous comment which did not seem to be well received – perhaps too little too late on an old blog post, I would like to take a moment to elaborate on some of the things I would rather do than watch another minute of this drivel. So without further ado, I present

Angelo’s Altercations

1. Place a carrot, having been carefully coated in a gourmet sauce such as Hollandaise or a mushroom jus, gently up my rectal cavity and then proceed to dine on the aforementioned carrot.

2. Drink precisely 650ml of paint thinner which would necessitate a trip to the emergency ward, hopefully scheduled around the time Big Brother airs. This would allow me to glance at the nurses cleavage as I slip in and out of consciousness.

3. Ponder the intricacies of the Higgs-Boson particle and what this means for our past, present and future – and also master the perfect toasting of a pop-tart… 5 minutes seems to be just that little bit too long for optimal melt to crisp ratio.

4. Scour the internet for photographic evidence of celebrities eating phallic shaped vegetables for an upcoming blog on the subject matter.

5. Explore whether wearing a hearing aid would provide me with superhuman hearing.

6. Document in excruciating detail, the number of punctuation marks to have appeared on this website.

7. Attempt to cover myself from head to toe in post-its

I will be taking suggestions for which of the above would be the most productive use of my time and encourage you all to draw up a list of your own!

Enjoy!

AF

15 Mia { 08.17.12 at 2:55 pm }

@Angelo Fortnuo – you need to send those ideas as a pitch for a new reality show to David Mott at Channel Ten. I’d watch it! :)

16 Ari { 08.17.12 at 5:36 pm }

Not even going to write a recap. I was too busy last night with assignments. Anyway an ‘okay’ episode. I like Brad, at least he has a personality. Ryan sounds really stuck-up. He reminds me of those guys in high school who talk crap about other people. Ryan is certainly NOT a genius. Nothing interesting seems to come out of his mouth.

I kinda like Angie. She seems sweet and probably the most nurturing one. Although the girls seem to treat Brad like he is an overly sensitive teenager who might fall in love with any one of them. The political discussions sound forced. It’s like channel 9 promised intelligent discussions and voila they’re talking about politics. Did someone tell them to discuss or…?

I don’t know about Estelle. Seems like she could be playing a character here. “I could go on all night” or you just don’t wanna lie. IDK if it’s because of the editing or whatever but I hardly see her around Ben.

Glad to see that Ray is probably a ‘great guy’. I think it’s Ryan and Stacey that’s getting in everyone’s nerves.

17 Gidgit { 08.17.12 at 6:46 pm }

I would never call myself ‘smart’ but dear god, the chats last night including Hitler being Man of the Year in 1959 – there were THREE people talking about that and not one of them knew Hitler took his own life in 1945. I mean, these are not little kids – they are people in their 20’s and 30’s. Yet again, we put ‘stupid’ on a pedestal and laugh at dumb – to the point encourage it – yet someone like Bradley actually tries to have a reasonable intelligent convesation and he will be mocked and booed and teased by the public.
I’m aware it’s a ‘dumb’ show for ‘dumb’ people – but why does it have to be? Thus why it’s lacking variety – I’m actually mixing a lot of the girls up!

18 Reality Raver { 08.17.12 at 7:14 pm }

Angelo – Number three would probably be the most useful to the Pop Tart eating fraternity.

Sioux Denim – Agree. I think the vote is to keep them in rather than to evict. But if you don’t get nominated you are safe. I think Charne is in danger.

Ari – I am not sure about Angie I think she is being savvy at the moment. I am liking Zoe.

Bolders – LOL. Yeah the instant besties thing is a bit of a joke.

Buttons – Zoe does look a bit like Khole K

The Oracle – “Sergeant Pepper Skank” cracked me up

BDD – Did not know about the laxative thing at all. There you go I have learnt something today.

AP – The president of the UK was hilarious – was that Ryan?

Mahalia always interesting how the dynamics change over time.

JK did not know that.

Cookie – Indeed live streams would definitely be good.

Mia – you are not the only one turning off the ratings have dropped.