Masterchef Professionals Could Be Happening – Who Do You Want To Host?

The whispers around Masterchef Professionals appear to be getting louder with news.com.au reporting that they are casting around for some overseas talent to host the show.

This format would see professional chefs duking it out for the Masterchef title, and there should be no shortage of people applying as it will raise their or their businesses profile.

News.com.au reports:

Media sources say Channel 10 is considering MasterChef: The Professionals for the second half of 2013.

Producer Shine wants major international food identities to host the series.

It is believed that the world’s biggest celebrity chefs – including Gordon Ramsay and Heston Blumenthal – are on Shine’s short list.

One of the hosts of the British original, double Michelin-starred chef Michel Roux Jnr, is also a possibility.

“They are chasing massive international names,” a source close to the production says.

Network TEN has dismissed the rumours as wild speculation.

“No decisions have been made about MasterChef for 2013,” a TEN spokesperson says.

“No decisions have been made about its format. Matt, George and Gary are very much still part of the MasterChef family.”

Preston, Colambaris and Mehigan will remain as judges for next year’s fifth series of MasterChef Australia, rumoured to be relocating to Melbourne.

Hopefully the rumour of Masterchef Professionals is true, and who would you like to see host it?

1 A.P { 08.18.12 at 2:10 pm }

Jamie Oliver of course! he is a very likeable person, not arrogant at all .
They need someone like him to appeal to the average viewers and keep those professional chefs humble.

2 Sioux Denim { 08.18.12 at 3:00 pm }

Agreed AP – plus he cute!!

Would really like this concept actually – wouldn’t it be funny too if George and Garry were contestants too!

3 Baz { 08.18.12 at 3:19 pm }

Marco Pierre White!

4 A.P { 08.18.12 at 3:21 pm }

Yeah, it would probably take them down a peg or two going through what the previous contestants have.
Imagine George and Gary doing an Amazing Race type of challenge to get all their ingredients and then rushing to get everything cooked on time? They would be exhausted!

5 Sioux Denim { 08.18.12 at 3:53 pm }

Ew – imagine the sweating too from Georgie!

6 Georgie { 08.18.12 at 4:56 pm }

I’d love to see Gordon Ramsay giving G&G his famous vitriolic serve for not moving their two hat arses quickly enough in the kitchen.

Pleeeaaase Sioux Denim, can’t you find some other name for that stooge besides mine. :-)

7 Sioux Denim { 08.18.12 at 6:05 pm }

Oh so sorry Georgie – hahhhaha funny though – noted…..

Gordon Ramsay would be a hoot -heh, have you seen the latest ad for his show in the Prison?? – OMG……… am sure it would be like a Detention Centre – cant imagine him agreeing to be in the same toom as hardened prisoners……

8 Georgie { 08.18.12 at 6:29 pm }

All good Sioux Denim. No I haven’t seen the ad, although I could imagine he’d be right at home in a prison – he speaks the same language and fancies himself as a big tough man. I don’t think he’d be so tough if he had to fend for himself inside though.

9 Ari { 08.18.12 at 11:17 pm }

Ooooh exciting. Don’t really like Gordon Ramsay to be honest. He’s too bitter for my taste. Excuse the pun. Jamie Oliver could be brilliant, if Shine manages to nab him. Oh how juvenile that would make Channel 7’s food shows look…

Maybe Curtis Stone, he’s hosted a TV show before (I think Celebrity Apprentice in the USA?).

Speaking of MasterChef, I don’t know if I missed it but did you happen to publish the interview with Julia? I remember waiting for it but I remember about it now haha and still can’t find it.

10 Kate { 08.19.12 at 7:00 am }

Anyone who, unlike George, has decent table manners, can hold their cutlery and doesn’t eat like a pig.

11 Sticky Date Pud { 08.19.12 at 7:38 am }

Kate – I couldn’t have said it better. Watching George’s antics is like watching something out of a horror movie.

12 Suzanne { 08.19.12 at 9:33 am }

Ugh, another year with those two idiots. I don’t have a problem with Matt Preston, but Gary and George can GTFO. We really need new judges.

13 Morgan { 08.19.12 at 9:36 am }

I wish we could get Pete and Manu (joint contracts with 7 and 10? if only that were possible) to come and take over judging. They’re way better than G&G.

14 Twister { 08.19.12 at 9:56 am }

Suzanne must be a really bitter and miserable person to say such a nasty thing about Gary and George, people she dosen’t even know. Seriously, what a cow!

15 Reality Raver { 08.19.12 at 10:36 am }

Twister are making mischief???
I would like to see them rotated through next year.
I like the Marco Pierre White suggestion. I think he would have a good balance.
Gordon Ramsay would be ok, I was disappointed TEN decided not to run Masterchef US. The rationale is that they thought it would be overkill and would damage the Masterchef Australia brand.

Ari – Curtis Stone would be good as well he was extremely impressive on the show last week and he is Top Chef Masters host, so knows how to critique professionals.

16 Twister { 08.19.12 at 10:42 am }

No Reality Raver, I’m demonstrating a case of double standards by repeating the words Suzanne used yesterday to berate another blogger on a different Masterchef thread.

17 juti tuti { 08.19.12 at 1:49 pm }

I’m wondering how the losing chefs would save face. It’s one thing for an unknown to lose on national TV, but something else for a “celebrity” chef to lose in the same way. It might make for interesting viewing…

I don’t have the steel trap memory for past episodes as some, but I’ve never forgotten Marion’s from S2 win in Hosier lane opposite Fed Square over Frank Camorra of Movida. Though most agree she’s extremely talented, he looked rather humbled by it and I wonder how that played out for him. Just putting the thought out there…

18 Cheryl { 08.19.12 at 2:01 pm }

I think the professionals would end up being much like the UK version where they are all sous or up-and-coming chefs who are wanting more exposure to get into the bigger restaurants rather than already established chefs. Think the offsiders brought in for S4 immunity challenges rather than the chef the contestant was supposedly up against.

I would really like to see an Aussie host but I can’t see Curtis wanting to do that when his US-based wife is a working actress with a baby. Maybe Ben O’Donoghue, Curtis’ offsider in “Surfing the Menu” and one of the “Best in Australia” team.

19 Reality Raver { 08.19.12 at 2:02 pm }

Juti Tuti – I am presuming and I could be wrong they are chefs not necessarily celebrity ones. In the US on Top Chef they are unknowns who are sous chefs or have their own establishments lookin gon the show to promote themselves or their restaurants. Also to win the prize of $100,000.

20 brain dead dave { 08.19.12 at 2:17 pm }

The answer for the host is staring $hine in the face.

Matthew Newton. He’ll let the chefs know if the service isn’t up to scratch.

21 Baz { 08.19.12 at 2:27 pm }

RR – I agree, it’s too bad that TEN will not screen Masterchef US here especially when this season (3) in particular is outstanding and us Aussies should get to see how Masterchef should be done. But TEN is half right, showing it would damage the Masterchef Australia brand though not because of overkill, but because their version and their judges stomps over ours. But then again, just watching Jamie, Heston, Marco and Curtis for 5 minutes is enough to prove that it’s time to throw out the excess G&G baggage and overhaul the whole format. The US has got it right, time for Shine to take note.

22 juti tuti { 08.19.12 at 2:32 pm }

Okay. That sounds more likely, eh? Thanks RR.

23 Morgan { 08.19.12 at 3:04 pm }

The first two seasons of MCUS were pretty awful, but the third one is actually quite good, they finally found a good format and are running with it, although there still were some cooks with very questionable talent, such as David and Tali that made it pretty far in the competition.

Marco, Curtis and Heston would be an amazing set of judges.

24 Sticky Date Pud { 08.19.12 at 3:29 pm }

Brain dead dave – you’re always thinking …… laterally

25 Ari { 08.19.12 at 6:54 pm }

I don’t know how people see the US version as great. The US version is H O R R I B L E. I mean, people complaining because they’re the last one’s being picked in a team? I spent 5 MINUTES OF MY LIFE watching that unfold. It does not need to happen.

Most Americans prefer the Aussie version than their spit-in-your-face bitter US version. I would prefer Matt, George and Gary over the three US judges any day.

The US version is like a pill. Swallow and that’s it. No enjoyment it just kicks you in the nuts. The Aussie version is a banquet. Take your time to enjoy and get to know everyone else on the table. Lots of camaraderie and spirit. Please guys we’re Americanised enough we don’t need to see more American garbage on TV. And I’m not even BORN in Australia. Just see what’s happening to our media right now. If MCAU turns into the MCUS garbage I’d probably vom.

26 Kate { 08.19.12 at 6:59 pm }

How come everyone has seen the us version? It’s not on fox is it? FYI new series of British MC is starting on sep 4 on foxtel……I like cooking reality …..

27 ryeguy { 08.20.12 at 5:55 am }

Ari you are right about the US version of Masterchef, I live in Canada and watch the AUS version and believe it is the best of the franchise. Gordon Ramsey judges on the US version and is a good reason not to watch, just too much like Hells Kitchen…in your face. If Masterchef professionals happens it could be like the UK version with sous chefs and the like but it could also be like the US Top Chef Masters that has acclaimed chefs. Anthony Bourdaine hosting/judging would make for some interesting television

28 Joseph Skyrim { 08.20.12 at 12:56 pm }

Would be funny if old masterchef contestants hosted and judged. What? I wanna see more of Justine! 😛 Hell, maybe even Greta, Sienna and the Bliss twins? Haha yah but I don’t think they can be too critical of their “elders”.

Would like to see Gary and George in the competition though… Matt Moran too which pretty much leaves Preston to host and judge (he should bring over some of his food critic buddies – new faces?) :)

Alternatively, get two random fans (plus Matt P) per episode to score blind tastings! :)

29 PollyB { 08.20.12 at 1:01 pm }

Thanks Kate. Hanging out for MC UK.

30 Daze { 08.20.12 at 1:12 pm }

Joseph, wonder if Matt Moran was too busy, he didn’t feature much this season and I rather like him heaps – he has a different take on the shenanigans of G&G

31 Georgie { 08.20.12 at 1:18 pm }

Lol Joseph Skyrim – two random fans to judge. How about bdd and Paul!

32 Culinary Boner { 08.20.12 at 1:22 pm }

Hope Shine & Ten sit down first to re-design the show, before wasting their last opportunity to make some decent reality cooking comp TV.

Surely even these boofheads will have seen by now that no matter what quality of talent you throw into the MCA sausage machine, what comes out at the end is under-seasoned, bland, boring, and in the case of MC All Stars, unpalatable mince*.

They need to change the ‘sausage machine’ itself, along with the menu and the overall ambience, not the ingredients. Well, except for showing George and Gary the door.

The biggest areas needing improvement are the challenges, the judging and most of all, the editing.

They also need to realise that this show – like my impeccable spag bol – is something most people would be happy to ‘eat’ twice a week (with a night of something else in between), not every bloody night.

Even if they ‘score’ Padma Lakshmi, Gail Simmons and Tom Colicchio they’d still end up with a cock-up.

Fix the show design flaws first before flailing around for new talent says I.

* Apologies, inappropriate use of a ‘savoury’ analogy. Better change that to ‘ plasticised puddle pie’.

33 Reality Raver { 08.20.12 at 1:42 pm }

Ari – no I did not get an interview with Julie, however the day after the finale I got a phone call from TEN saying they had Andy for me to interview. As I was not prepped for it I declined. *ducks*. I should chase an interview with her really, apparently she had lost her voice.

34 gwen { 08.21.12 at 1:15 pm }

why should we get an a British Chef, don’t we have enough here that are dying to be on TV ? And please no Maggie Beer, i can’t stand the woman and her stupid verjuice. I think Ben Donohue would be good as a cohost with a 2/3 hatted chef who knows what it takes to be at the top.