I Will Survive – The First Elimination

I Will Survive continued in Dubbo with Matt, Sean and Frank at risk of elimination.

The episode was enjoyable but there appeared to be a fair bit of filler in it. The boys having a game of rugby, interviewing the make up artists and the bottom three boys having a slap up Chinese meal with Hugh Sheridan.

You get the feeling it was a lot of fun to make, but sometimes in the episode it felt like you weren’t quite getting the joke and everybody else was.

The boys had to perform in drag as entertainment at a rugby match, plus do an acting improv at the local pub picking up a girl.

A few quick thoughts about the episode:

• Some of the guys in the improv scene were struggling as they could not work out how to pick up someone without Grindr;
  • Nathan mistook the challenge to not a pick up a girl but to improvise a scene from Pretty Woman considering he just walked up to her and offered cash;
  • With only thirty seconds to impress it should have been best pick up line challenge and Matt won with his. However there was no prize unless it really was that martini host Hugh Sheridan was offering;
  • Kelly Abbey is always a welcome addition to any reality TV show, she would have made a great judge on Everybody Dance Now, but she was probably glad she had dodged that bullet;
  • At first glance I wondered what was the green stuff in Sean’s ziplock bag before seeing they were tablets;
  • Again Stephan Elliot was a highlight, but to be honest are any of them really qualified to judge on singing voices? Only Jason sings and I use that term very loosely.
  • The problem with the drag that once the boys are in their costumes it is hard to identify who is who;
  • Some of the singing was again it bit dodgy, but on the plus side the viewer got to see most of the practised routine, in this case Girls Just Want To Have Fun.
  • In the end Sean Perez was the first person eliminated from the show clearly him being sick did not help, but Frank was very lucky to avoid getting the chop.

Network TEN will be hoping more viewers have watched it tonight with just over 500,000 watching it last night.

I  Will Survive is on Network Ten Tuesday and Wednesday night at 7.30pm.

1 Reality Raver { 08.26.12 at 3:00 pm }

Daze – Correct the winner scandal emerged much later.

2 brain dead dave { 08.26.12 at 4:09 pm }

Ma$terchef can be as slick and successful as it likes and all power to it for carrying it off. A lot of people thought the golden calf was awesome, too.

I have to question the integrity of those producing the show when it’s based on a couple of blatant falsehoods that are rolled out each year..

*That it’s “all about the cooking”
* These are the best amata cooks in Australia.

Ma$terchef will never fool all of the people all of the time with these deceptions.

The guys getting dragged up on IWS doesn’t bother me. That roughly half of them can’t sing is more disturbing. Plenty of perving opportunities at lovely Rachel Taylor for this little black duck and I’m looking forward to seeing Asher Keddie this week ,too.

3 Georgie { 08.26.12 at 5:00 pm }

RR – “I have to disagree with you Georgie re: MKR and Masterchef I think they are shows that are done well.”

I think they are done well too RR, so you’re not disagreeing with me, just misunderstanding me. My point is, there are two types of quality. One is derived from the amount of money you have to spend (MCA) and the other is derived from the standards and principles you employ (MKR).

My comparison between MCA and MKR (similar shows that rate well), was to demonstrate that a big budget production doesn’t necessarily deliver a better product. Obviously I don’t know what the budgets for these shows are, but you can tell a lot more money is spent producing MCA than MKR and for me, the latter has more integrity and is a better show.

I don’t claim to be an expert in RTV production, but any concept, be it new or borrowed, in any industry, would require a certain amount of research and that should include viewer consultation. I think you’d be a valuable asset to a pre-production team for fine-tuning ideas RR, because these “experts in making TV”, are getting a lot of it wrong.

4 brain dead dave { 08.26.12 at 5:14 pm }

I find the more real reality television shows on the non commercial stations.
For example, I saw a dating show on ABC2 on Friday night called The Undateables which would be way too real and confronting for the commercial channels to broadcast because they are slaves to ratings and opt for moronic, contrived confections like Farmer Wants A Wife.

5 Daze { 08.26.12 at 5:16 pm }

bdd, is that ‘the’ Rachel Taylor ex Matt Newton? She is gorgeous. If so, thank God she is outta there.
I like IWS mainly because they are all local talent even if Jason came from from UK and I loved the movie. Asher is smashing and will enjoy her short time on the show like Rachel. We honestly don’t need US B-grades to front our shores and judging panel. Our lot are doing just fine and they never seem to get the chance unless shows like this grace our screens.

6 brain dead dave { 08.26.12 at 5:27 pm }

Yes, it is, Daze, according to my friend who’s usually on the ball. I think her hair’s a bit shorter than back at the time of the Newton fracas in Rome or wherever. She is gorgeous , no risk. She really lit up that nondescript cattle yard in Dubbo.

7 Paul { 08.26.12 at 5:39 pm }

Georgie,
They also get a lot of things right.

MC Oz is an outstanding success. They took a reasonably small show in the UK and spun it up into a ratings monster. It is probably single handedly holding Ch Ten afloat at the moment.

And I’m not sure why you think it is anymore expensive than MKR ? They have the overseas trip once a series but other than that it is mostly filmed in the MC kitchen. And even the overseas trips would be a chop out as far as expenses go when you factor in all the gratis they would be getting from Qantas and the like.

And to suggest that producers don’t consult ‘viewers’ beforehand is pretty naive in my opinion. These shows would have been workshopped to an inch of their lives before getting the green light to go ahead.

Plus there is the ultimate viewers feedback on which shows work and which don’t and that is the ratings.

By the way can you put some facts on the table as to why MC lacks integrity. A few vocal tin foil hatters does not mean that it lacks for integrity.

8 Georgie { 08.26.12 at 5:44 pm }

bdd, you find all the best shows. Maybe you could put up a list of programs for discerning viewers on the blog each week.

9 Georgie { 08.26.12 at 5:47 pm }

Never mind Paul, I knew I’d get it all wrong. This could be the reason no-one wants to have an intelligent discussion on this forum – in case you’re around.

10 A.P { 08.26.12 at 6:10 pm }

Another good reality show Georgie is “One Born Every Minute” which was showing on SBS one On Thursday nights. There is an English version and an American one, all about women in the same hospital giving birth! You can’t get any more real than that!

11 Georgie { 08.26.12 at 6:39 pm }

Thanks A.P, I’ll check it out.

12 brain dead dave { 08.26.12 at 6:59 pm }

No one gives a $hit, bully.

13 Paul { 08.26.12 at 8:28 pm }

Georgie – its relatively simple.

Most intelligent discussions deal in facts. If you want to make a statement that MC is successful because it spends over and above on production compared to its competitors then back it up.

Ditto your integrity concerns.

FWIW, generally MC films 5 of its 6 episodes per week in one location (the MC kitchen). Keep a generally static environment and the production costs will reduce. And whilst their one day a week episodes outside the kitchen seem expensive, I think you will find that a lot of it is done on an “I’ll scratch your back and you scratch mine’ basis.

Outside of that you have the ovens (presumably the same for the last 4 seasons so only operating expense costs), kitchen equipment (ditto) and food (relatively cheap in real terms).

But if you know something I don’t then happy for you to put it forward.

14 Georgie { 08.26.12 at 8:46 pm }

I’ll just be doing my duty again then:

I am totally in awe of MCA. It has to be the best produced, most believable and genuine cooking competition I’ve ever watched.

The judges are the most natural, helpful and spontaneous hosts you could ever hope for and because they are so natural and spontaneous, nothing they do on the show could ever be seen as contrived or manipulated for entertainment or drama sake. They are totally supportive of all the contestants equally and would never display favouritism in any form.

All the contestants are wonderful, clever, well adjusted and jolly people, who are such talented cooks, any one of them could be a master chef in real life. Like the judges, I would never favour one contestant over another because they all deserve my blind adoration and I want them all to win. Nothing they do ever annoys me because I am from Stepford.

This is my opinion of MCA throughout the entire competition year in and year out and I’ll faithfully copy and paste it into the blog every day.

15 Reality Raver { 08.27.12 at 9:17 am }

BDD – Oh yes ABC 2 put a list up of what you think is worth watching on there. I have been keeping a side eye on it but get distracted by all the stuff on the free to air channels.

Georgie and Paul – Some shows would be researched but others not so much. I think Everybody Dance Now is a perfect example of a format being pitched without much thought or research behind it.

16 brain dead dave { 08.27.12 at 10:16 am }

RR, tonight on ABC 2 you’ve got Playing It Straight at 11.25-a crass dating show where a straight woman has to choose a guy to get serious with. Her gaydar is put to the test as the suitors are a mix of gay and straight, if she ultimately chooses a straight guy she wins money,if she plonks for a gay guy she gets nada. Makes FWAW look like the finest Shakespeare.

Male Hookers Uncovered tomorrow night at 10.20 looks promising.

Another ep of The Undateables at 8.35 Wed. Heart wrenching, sobering and confronting.

17 Reality Raver { 08.27.12 at 11:22 am }

Thanks BDD – will put them in my Fox IQ to check out.