Charlotte Dawson – Not Sure She Is The Expert On Twitter Etiquette

It is ironic that Charlotte Dawson took such exception to a tweet someone made to her that she rang up their employer to expose them, possibly with the motivation of getting them fired when she herself is not such a cleanskin on Twitter.

The Australian Next Top Model judge took exception to this tweet “excuse me @MsCharlotteD on behalf of NZ we would like you to please GO HANG YOURSELF!!!” Charlotte retweeted it to her followers to shame her.

As the news.com.au story states:

CHARLOTTE Dawson has exposed the vile Twitter ravings of a Monash University staffer after she urged the TV presenter and one of her followers to “go hang yourself”.

Taking Twitter trolls head on, the Australia’s Next Top Model judge sent a ‘please explain’ email to the woman and her boss after Dawson’s loyal follower was set upon for revealing she had lost her own partner to suicide.

Dawson’s practice of re-tweeting abusive messages as a form of broadly shaming the trolls drew the widow into defending the former model against a tweet which read: “excuse me @MsCharlotteD on behalf of NZ we would like you to please GO HANG YOURSELF!!!”

The follower leaped in, admonishing the dangerous remarks, posting: “my fiance hanged himself HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT TO ANOTHER HUMAN BEING”.

The Monash staffer replied: “If I was your fiance I’d hang myself too #gohangyourself.”

This tweet occurred after a story was published where Ms Dawson slammed New Zealand in an interview when she was publicising the upcoming release of her memoir. She said: “New Zealand is small, nasty and vindictive. It’s a tiny, little village … a tiny country at the end of the earth.”

For the record I think that tweet to Ms Dawson and her follower was completely unacceptable.

However Charlotte Dawson has also made some slurs on Twitter herself including one which asked that someone kill the now America’s Next Top Model judge fashion blogger Bryan Boy. At the time of her tweet it was not known that Bryan Boy was going to be a judge on the iconic reality show.

When this turned into a mainstream media furore Ms Dawson went on Sunrise to say her tweet was to be taken in humour, but is it? If a teenage girl aimed that at another teen girl it would be seen as cyber bullying. In fact Charlotte is a spokesperson for Community Brave a great organisation whose aim is to eradicate online bullying and homophobia. Is this tweet that Ms Dawson wrote acceptable for an ambassador for this charity to write?

She also claimed on Sunrise that Bryan Boy and Patty Huntington were “obsessed” with her. A quick google of both their blogs had me wonder where this persecution complex came from as it revealed no mention of her on Bryan Boy’s blog,  and on Patty Huntington’s Frockwriter (who I collaborated with on UNCUT) she has been mentioned her four times. The last mention was two years ago.

Though it should be noted the animosity appears to stem from a story on Frockwriter reported here about comments she made about the then seventeen year old Cassi Van Den Dungen on social media site Facebook. A Sunday Telegraph columnist called this Facebook diatribe bullying at the time and the same article raised the issue that the person was a minor.

As the news.com.au article states Ms Dawson does re-tweet peoples messages as a form of shaming. This can result in her fans attacking the person of the original tweet, which in itself could be seen as a form of cyber bullying.
Something that people on Twitter have raised recently:

Maybe Charlotte Dawson is not the most appropriate person to be talking about what is or is not appropriate on Twitter or cyberbullying.

Also was she contacting Monash University, the person’s employer, to try to get this person sacked?  I am sure she would not like Bryan Boy talking to the creator of Next Top Model Tyra Banks about her inappropriate tweet about him, as I am sure she would not like to lose her judges position on Australia’s Next Top Model for a cyberspace indiscretion.

Just for full probity earlier this year there was a fracas between Ms Dawson and myself on Twitter. However I will leave the last tweet to her.

Good point Charlotte something that has crossed my mind after receiving several vitriolic messages myself….

UPDATE: The girl from Monash University has now been suspended with pay.

1 anonymous { 02.24.14 at 3:19 am }

It’s ‘you’re the one’.

And despicable not dispicable.

2 brain dead dave { 02.24.14 at 3:21 am }

Make that “you’re”, Pops@ 200, if you’re giving literacy lectures. You really can’t troll to save your own life,can you?

3 anonymous { 02.24.14 at 3:26 am }

I thought we were all being called anonymous tonight.
It might get confusing 😉

4 Georgie { 02.24.14 at 7:57 am }

Here we go with the ‘Charlotte stick phenomenon’.

Nicole #197, it’s you who’ve missed the point. This post went up 18 months ago and was in relation to a reality tv personality’s very public profile on twitter at the time. The personality took her beef to the media herself, to maximise the coverage, which in itself rendered the topic ‘a real world issue’ did it not? Also, I don’t think Charlotte was declaring her mental illness at the time this post went up, so you’re superimposing more recent knowledge over old conversations.

As for the comments in response to the blog post – with respect of course – you obviously haven’t read them. If you had, you’d know that a largely hearty, intelligent and topical debate, on a ‘real world issue’, resulted.

5 Littlepetal { 02.24.14 at 8:37 am }

Well said, Georgie. So we can’t make any negative comments about an issue, topic or person. Why are there so many nasty things said about the government, past and present? Can’t we have an opinion?

6 Andrea { 02.24.14 at 8:46 am }

Interesting this morning to wake up and re read these old comments.
I made one @148 which I still stand by today, I always felt sorry for Charlotte, she was a tortured soul.

7 Paul { 02.24.14 at 1:47 pm }

Dawson seems to have been a fairly tragic figure, racked with internal demons. She made a lot of bad choices and backed them up with worse choices.
I agree that she was an absolute bully, and a hypocrite to the core. But I find myself feeling sorry for her rather than anything else.
There is no way that she should have been in the position of being an anti-bullying campaigner.
Now most people would agree that it was a hypocritical position for her to be in and that undermined the validity of any points she tried to make. Whatever gains she made, by raising awareness, she undid by controversy and visciousness. She legitamised bullying while claiming to fight it.
However, what I am getting at is how her position was bad for her. It was psychologically a terrible burden for her. She was a woman struggling with demons, and her circular and destructive attempt to bully the bullies just fed those demons and made them stronger. Ultimately to the point where she lost that struggle. Anti-bullying is a very worthwhile cause but it was a cause she was never able to champion. Those who cheered her efforts did so without comprehending the cycle of conflict that they were supporting, backing someone who was ill equipped for the battle, and encouraging them to keep fighting.
Bad choices and worse choices from a troubled woman, enabled and cheered on by people who lack true empathy.
I wouldn’t wish her fate on anyone.

8 Jackii { 02.24.14 at 4:04 pm }

BDD You obviously don’t realize that more than one person can use the same ISP on another computer. Many of my family are connected to mine and can see my accounts, emails, etc. You assume you know it all. You are a smart arse. Regards.

9 brain dead dave { 02.24.14 at 5:54 pm }

Yeah,right.Thanks.

10 daisy { 02.24.14 at 6:11 pm }

BDD, she didn’t say dumbass. So I’d call it a compliment.

11 Littlepetal { 02.24.14 at 6:22 pm }

If you have a password in your account, it will remain private. You are only to blame if you don’t have a password.

12 brain dead dave { 02.24.14 at 6:45 pm }

It’s a troll, daisy.it’s Pops.

13 brain dead dave { 02.24.14 at 6:51 pm }

By the way, Paul, I know we’ve had tumultuous history here.Just saying that #207 was a great read and well done.

14 ANON { 02.24.14 at 7:22 pm }

Littlepetal I don’t want to use a password This is how it is set-up. Many people do this, for various reasons. DUH

15 daisy { 02.24.14 at 7:27 pm }

Yeah Paul, I was impressed too. Good job.

16 Nicole Humphries { 02.24.14 at 8:24 pm }

Thank you everyone for your input to my comment #197. Daisy #198 I appreciate your empathy and yes, you are right I was commenting on a post created many months ago, I guess that is what happens when I don’t say enough is enough research at 3am and put the computer away. I get intregued with what I am researching. I do stand by my comments that I read quite a few posts that were purely contemptuous, once again showing you are right that I live by the rule of harm none and most others do not. I don’t expect that only nice things are said about people, however, I have hope (although I really don’t like that word) that people would show more empathy. Brain Dead Dave #199 Thank you for your comments, I have taken them all on board and believe that if I work hard and apply your recommendations to my life one day I may be a better person. I could keep you posted on my progress if you wish?
Paul #207 Your post was a well balanced, well constructed post.
I still do not understand the attraction of reading about celebrities lives and yes, BDD I do prefer to talk about enviromental and social issues (no, I do not consider what is written about celebrities in blogs or magazines social issues, BDD) however, I respect others choices in doing so. Little Petal #205 Absolutely, comment away as the day you do not have your own opinion you become a drone and that is something I would not want to see happen to anyone. Although having an opinon about the government is a little bit different to having an opinion about a celebrity you do not know or have not met. Everyday decisions made by our government affect our lives, CD being a bully towards others really doesn’t unless you give it the power to do so. BDD #199 I do have a blog and two FB pages linked to twitter and Instagram. The first is aimed at showing people that living well doesn’t need to be hard and unobtainable, by offering health tips, DIY projects and my own original posts and quotes that I hope will open up minds to different ways of thinking. The second is an environmental page that attracts alot of people not dissimilar to yourself. You know, the ones that find it inexplicably impossible to write their point of view without abuse, name calling and swearing. Maybe you should subscribe to my first page and we can have a meaninful co-existance of helping each other?

17 daisy { 02.24.14 at 8:29 pm }

Nicole, thankyou so much for expressing your views with genuine respect for others. It is truly appreciated.

18 Nicole Humphries { 02.24.14 at 9:00 pm }

Thanks Daisy #217 You can have respect and a point of view. I think we have proven that…

19 Reality Raver { 02.24.14 at 10:51 pm }

Nicole – Thanks for the comment but with all due respect reality TV is one of the highest rating shows on TV and as such a significant impact on pop culture it deserves considered analysis, as well as being ripe for discussion. Becuase of the fun nature of the genre a lot of people destress from their “worthy” daily lives/jobs so I don’t think aspersions should be cast on what type of people who read or comment on reality tv.

20 Nicole Humphries { 02.24.14 at 11:12 pm }

I appreciate and respect that Reality Raver, as I said – each to their own.

21 Chris { 02.25.14 at 6:03 pm }

Good for you Nicole Humphries. I agree.

22 block pave { 03.29.14 at 12:54 am }

Amazing forum posts, Appreciate it.

23 mmm income indonesia { 04.27.14 at 3:38 pm }

What’s up to every body, it’s my first go to see of this website; this web site consists of remarkable and in fact excellent material in support of readers.

24 vapor cigarette { 06.14.14 at 9:41 am }

Every weekend i used to visit this web page, because i want enjoyment, for the reason that this this siote conations
genuinely fastidious funny data too.

25 online art classes { 06.17.14 at 5:55 pm }

Hey! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to gve a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading through your articles.
Cann you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same subjects?
Thanks a ton!

26 bestleedsescorts.co.uk { 07.08.14 at 9:07 am }

Admiring the persistence you put into your blog and in depth information you provide.
It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same
out of date rehashed information. Excellent read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.