Charlotte Dawson – Not Sure She Is The Expert On Twitter Etiquette

It is ironic that Charlotte Dawson took such exception to a tweet someone made to her that she rang up their employer to expose them, possibly with the motivation of getting them fired when she herself is not such a cleanskin on Twitter.

The Australian Next Top Model judge took exception to this tweet “excuse me @MsCharlotteD on behalf of NZ we would like you to please GO HANG YOURSELF!!!” Charlotte retweeted it to her followers to shame her.

As the news.com.au story states:

CHARLOTTE Dawson has exposed the vile Twitter ravings of a Monash University staffer after she urged the TV presenter and one of her followers to “go hang yourself”.

Taking Twitter trolls head on, the Australia’s Next Top Model judge sent a ‘please explain’ email to the woman and her boss after Dawson’s loyal follower was set upon for revealing she had lost her own partner to suicide.

Dawson’s practice of re-tweeting abusive messages as a form of broadly shaming the trolls drew the widow into defending the former model against a tweet which read: “excuse me @MsCharlotteD on behalf of NZ we would like you to please GO HANG YOURSELF!!!”

The follower leaped in, admonishing the dangerous remarks, posting: “my fiance hanged himself HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT TO ANOTHER HUMAN BEING”.

The Monash staffer replied: “If I was your fiance I’d hang myself too #gohangyourself.”

This tweet occurred after a story was published where Ms Dawson slammed New Zealand in an interview when she was publicising the upcoming release of her memoir. She said: “New Zealand is small, nasty and vindictive. It’s a tiny, little village … a tiny country at the end of the earth.”

For the record I think that tweet to Ms Dawson and her follower was completely unacceptable.

However Charlotte Dawson has also made some slurs on Twitter herself including one which asked that someone kill the now America’s Next Top Model judge fashion blogger Bryan Boy. At the time of her tweet it was not known that Bryan Boy was going to be a judge on the iconic reality show.

When this turned into a mainstream media furore Ms Dawson went on Sunrise to say her tweet was to be taken in humour, but is it? If a teenage girl aimed that at another teen girl it would be seen as cyber bullying. In fact Charlotte is a spokesperson for Community Brave a great organisation whose aim is to eradicate online bullying and homophobia. Is this tweet that Ms Dawson wrote acceptable for an ambassador for this charity to write?

She also claimed on Sunrise that Bryan Boy and Patty Huntington were “obsessed” with her. A quick google of both their blogs had me wonder where this persecution complex came from as it revealed no mention of her on Bryan Boy’s blog,  and on Patty Huntington’s Frockwriter (who I collaborated with on UNCUT) she has been mentioned her four times. The last mention was two years ago.

Though it should be noted the animosity appears to stem from a story on Frockwriter reported here about comments she made about the then seventeen year old Cassi Van Den Dungen on social media site Facebook. A Sunday Telegraph columnist called this Facebook diatribe bullying at the time and the same article raised the issue that the person was a minor.

As the news.com.au article states Ms Dawson does re-tweet peoples messages as a form of shaming. This can result in her fans attacking the person of the original tweet, which in itself could be seen as a form of cyber bullying.
Something that people on Twitter have raised recently:

Maybe Charlotte Dawson is not the most appropriate person to be talking about what is or is not appropriate on Twitter or cyberbullying.

Also was she contacting Monash University, the person’s employer, to try to get this person sacked?  I am sure she would not like Bryan Boy talking to the creator of Next Top Model Tyra Banks about her inappropriate tweet about him, as I am sure she would not like to lose her judges position on Australia’s Next Top Model for a cyberspace indiscretion.

Just for full probity earlier this year there was a fracas between Ms Dawson and myself on Twitter. However I will leave the last tweet to her.

Good point Charlotte something that has crossed my mind after receiving several vitriolic messages myself….

UPDATE: The girl from Monash University has now been suspended with pay.

1 Daze { 08.28.12 at 5:37 pm }

she’s a plastic wench. RR would this be karma. People are getting away with way too much with the technology as it is today and somehow it will have to be policed but I can’t even fathom how that would happen unless certain words were blocked universally to stop all this bullying and hatred and abuse – twitter, facebook, forums, etc. The people that do this – in general, hiding behind keyboards wouldn’t have the guts to say it to someone’s face in most cases. It’s a few strokes and submit or send and its gone into virtual world. Does it empower the sender? I know we all like to see our comments or names in print but one needs boundaries and there are none.

2 bron { 08.28.12 at 6:00 pm }

god she needs to stop, it’s so embarrassing watching this unfold on my timeline. i understand she’s against cyber bulling and good for her, but jesus. enough.

3 bron { 08.28.12 at 6:04 pm }

and since she probably has google alerts for her name, i’m sure she’ll be tweeting about this post soon

4 Georgie { 08.28.12 at 6:21 pm }

Of course cynical me says this could all be about the launch of her memoirs due for release in September.

5 claire { 08.28.12 at 6:38 pm }

hi i’m the claire girl and thankyou for not taking her ‘side’ like every other media outlet haha

6 Roger Morgan { 08.28.12 at 6:43 pm }

Is that ‘Claire’ the drug addicted prostitute? Good on Charlotte for standing up to these trolls. It happens too often.

7 Caspa { 08.28.12 at 6:45 pm }

i dont necessarily think Charlotte Dawson is a bad person, she isn’t the first, nor will be the last celebrity to be under attack by trolls on twitter. But isn’t that the risk all celebrities take? We are your biggest fans and your worst enemies! Giving into trolls by replying is just giving them what they want.
On the flip side, Reposting the things that trolls write to you to 22,000 followers on twitter is counter productive. In my view, her stance on anti-bullying is ruined here. She can tweet til her fingers are blue that she is not partaking in bullying, but relaying the negative comments to her followers just creates a window for more bullying and taunting. So who is wrong, and who is right? Neither.

Charlotte Dawson needs to step down off her high horse, atleast the trolls know what they are doing.

8 Caspa { 08.28.12 at 6:53 pm }

and it’s worth mentioning that i was apart of the trolling, i don’t deny it.
Do we think it’s okay that Charlotte Dawson researched where I live and work and posted the title of my workplace to 22k followers on twitter? This wouldn’t confront me as a problem if it wasn’t posted by someone who claims to be a martyr of “anti-bullying” what a load of shit.

9 brain dead dave { 08.28.12 at 6:56 pm }

I’m not on Twitter but am kind of flattered that there’s an idiot on there posting under my screen name.

10 Culinary Boner { 08.28.12 at 7:04 pm }

I luvs Charlotte coz she’s the official Patsy Stone of Australia.
Who’d’ve thunk a caricature created by Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders (and played by Joanna Lumley) would actually live and breath down here in Australia.
A real-life self-professed ‘blow-up doll’ according to her own bio.
All personal indignation, ego-driven outrage and no f…en sense.

Oh, and great buns if you is up for some ‘snow leopard’ action.

11 Ari { 08.28.12 at 7:12 pm }

Wow actually witnessed some of the arguing on my twitter feed. Agree it got pretty out of hand.

12 Reality Raver { 08.28.12 at 7:17 pm }

Georgie – I think you are right.

Daze – YOu make some good points.

Bron – they were but a few examples.

Claire – no problems

Roger Morgan – Didn’t realise Charlotte Dawson was anti-prostitution

Caspa – Indeed it could be thought of as bullying as well

BDD – oh I am going to have a look at the BDD twitter account

CB – Agree it does not make sense.

13 NG { 08.28.12 at 7:48 pm }

I think it’s sad when people try to fight bullying but end up becoming bullies themselves which is pretty much all that happens with what she does.

She gives them oxygen and fans the flames. They get the attention they want and so does she.

She blocked me after I questioned the wisdom of her threatening to drag someone naked up her driveway whil beating them. Ah well.

14 Matt { 08.28.12 at 7:53 pm }

This all started because Charlotte Dawson attacked me for making a comment about Big Brother. I simply asked my followers “who is Charlotte Dawson”. One replied to me saying that her careers over etc (not stating anything abusive, just stating facts). However I didn’t partake in this.

This led to Charlotte RTing this, replying to it and sarcastically making fun of me and that other person. She went through my other tweets unrelated to the matter and sarcastically replied to them. I had not attacked Charlotte yet she felt the need to drag me into the mess.

I had her followers telling me to “kill myself” among other things and I simply said to Charlotte that what she was doing was harassment. She denied it and noted that all she did was RT. However, going through my tweets and making sarcastic remarks about me (when I didn’t say anything to her or about her) IS harassment to me and harassment is a form of bullying.

This is actually what it all stemmed from. She disliked that I questioned her role in being an ambassador for anti-bullying and couldn’t understand that I hadn’t essentially done anything wrong. From there, everyone else jumped in.

I appreciate you writing this as it shows she isn’t the innocent one she claims to be. Had I been abusive towards her I would welcome the comments sent to me as they’d be justified.

Charlotte Dawson needs to apologise. She is a role model and in the public eye. Her views, opinions and actions reflect on those people who follow her and it means she’s condoning the bullying and harassment that was done to me and others.

15 Reality Raver { 08.28.12 at 8:07 pm }

NG – Well darling the best people are blocked.

Matt – I don’t think you alone on getting a ragging by her followers

16 Daze { 08.28.12 at 8:09 pm }

Sorry Matt, but she is NOT a role model.

17 Culinary Boner { 08.28.12 at 8:14 pm }

She’d make a good butt model though

18 Matt { 08.28.12 at 8:26 pm }

Daze being a public figure makes her a role model to people whether she likes it or not. That’s just how it works, sadly most of her followers would look up to her or admire her.

and Reality Raver, I know but I’m actually who this started with.

19 Paul { 08.28.12 at 9:25 pm }

Firstly – RR, excellent blog post. You’ve covered both sides really well.

Secondly, I don’t mind the tactic of putting the heat on offensive posts by retweeting them. However it does run the risk of going too far and some tweets can be misconstrued as offensive in the first place.

Not really sure where I stand on this to be honest.

20 SOS { 08.28.12 at 11:27 pm }

you’ve attacked Dawson for her plastic appearance & her twitter & we get it. You don’t like her. She was in this instance standing up for an innocent follower so give the poor woman a break Emma.

21 Reality Raver { 08.28.12 at 11:35 pm }

SOS or Roger Morgan please come in under the same non de plume as happy to have the discussion. Not sure why you felt you needed to change. For the record I don’t hate Charlotte. Not sure where I attacked her plastic appearance, in a previous post some months ago I think I called her foxy.

But yes I think her being a role model on this issue is wrong.

22 NG { 08.29.12 at 6:55 am }

Give the poor woman a break, SOS?
Her, like the other members of the anti bullying foundation seems to be be bullies with a short term memory problem.
Anyone who isn’t supportive of her is labelled a bully. She’s a hypocrite and with a book coming out soon I’d say she’s just drumming up attention.

Anyway, last words on the matter.
She’s so terribly mortified that someone would suggest someone else hang themselves? Maybe she shouldn’t make threats to others.

Charlotte Dawson
“@MsCharlotteD
Dear slurry that threw her puppy out her window I’d like to drag you naked by your hair down my driveway then kick you. You’re welcome.”

I’ve found the best way to deal with bullies is ignored them. Charlotte who?

23 Culinary Boner { 08.29.12 at 9:36 am }

Let’s face it, Charlotte is to the anti-bullying cause, what Ross Cameron* was to marital fidelity and family values.

I almost barfed up me brekkie when I opened the Daily Terror this morning to be greeted on page 4 by a sanctimonious puff-piece profiling Charlotte as if she’s Wonder Woman from Planet Kill-a-Bully.

I’m now with Georgie on this being just some sad-arsed PR exercise for her book with the journos involved to stoopid to realise they is being used.

* For those with short memories, he was the self-proclaimed ‘socially conservative’ Liberal federal MP for Parramatta who couldn’t keep Cpt Todger in his pants and was cheating on his wife. No one would have given a rats – except his wife – if he hadn’t made a career out of loudly preaching exactly the opposite of what he was doing. Ross was famously described in the Latham Diaries as a man on a personal mission to track down ‘quality box’.

24 Chunks { 08.29.12 at 9:49 am }

The Queen Bees and their Wannbees never grow up it seems, they just move from Facebook bullying to Twitter bullying.

25 NG { 08.29.12 at 12:00 pm }

I agree with CB and Georgie. This is nothing but a PR exercise for the new book.

As many people wiser than CD have said “Don’t feed the trolls”. And CD is being one hell of a troll.

Thank you Emma for this post and trying to tell the other side of the story. Drinks are on me when we catch up. x

26 Em { 08.29.12 at 1:12 pm }

My guess is that she is a narcissistic person. Complaining that people are “obsessed with” her when they clearly aren’t shows that she is happy to get attention any way she can. Talking to the media about NZ people in the manner she did shows that she is happy to make melodramatic assumptions about everyone in a country. Even complaining against Ms Heti would have been to get her own name in the media. What a media leach (I beg you to look me up love so I can counter sue based on a frivolous complaint).

27 Reality Raver { 08.29.12 at 1:41 pm }

The girl from Monash Uni has now been suspended on pay. I suspect because of the mainstream media attention the issue received they felt they had no choice. Witchhunt or vigilantism either way it appears Ms Dawson is happy with the result.

28 Culinary Boner { 08.29.12 at 1:52 pm }

Sad to hear Raver, because in the meantime real-life bullying of truly vulnerable people – not the Patsy Stones of this world – continues in workplaces, schools, institutions (including churches), the ADF, and in Facebook threats between youngsters.

But Charlotte and a plethora of other attention-whore, D-list celebs and the dumb-arsed News Limited journalists who live off them will think they’ve actually achieved something. Sad. The only person I feel sorry for is the Monash Uni person.

29 Maz { 08.29.12 at 2:24 pm }

Tracking someone down where they work and complaining to their employer about a non-work related transgression is bullying. She is abusing her position of social power.

Not sure she should be a spokesperson for an anti-bullying organisation.

30 bron { 08.29.12 at 2:47 pm }

god she’s all over the media, she got what she wanted out of this. ughhhh i can’t.

31 Gidgit { 08.29.12 at 3:14 pm }

So…am I the only one who burst out laughing at the ‘if I was your finance – I’d hang myself too #gohangyourself’ bit?

32 Gidgit { 08.29.12 at 3:16 pm }

Oh, and I have to say I’m rather dissapointed in old rubber face. I mean, I slagged her off (unlike her, in a FUNNY way) on twitter when she was on Celebrity Apprentice – and she actually came back with a very self deprecating funny witty tweet in response. I honestly thought – gee, she DOES have a sense of humour and doesn’t take herself too seriously. Obviously I got her on a good day because this is appalling. I suggest Ms Dawson turn off her computer and take up knitting – she’s about that age she should start that kinda thing anyway.

33 Anonymous { 08.29.12 at 4:26 pm }

What happened to people using the “BLOCK” button. Not that hard.

34 Georgie { 08.29.12 at 4:46 pm }

Ms Dawson should be suspended too – if she actually had a job that is!

35 brain dead dave { 08.29.12 at 4:56 pm }

I thought women liked their partners to be hung.

36 Georgie { 08.29.12 at 5:07 pm }

I think that’s well hung bdd. Also, seeing I’m talking to you, I remember Iron Maiden did a good rendition of Charlotte.

37 brain dead dave { 08.29.12 at 5:26 pm }

Yes Georgie, Iron Maiden were celebrated only last night on a great show on ABC 2 called Evolution Of Metal. It should be repeated later in the week.

I understand their rendition of Charlotte is based on a true story. Male Hookers Uncovered was great viewing last night, too.

38 Georgie { 08.29.12 at 5:35 pm }

I saw them both on the program bdd and started to watch Male Hookers but just couldn’t stay awake. Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out for the replay.

39 planb { 08.29.12 at 6:52 pm }

I don’t know. The link to the Tele gave me the impression this ‘girl at Monash University’ is in fact a woman, going by her job title she doesn’t sound like a school leaver.

And now Charlotte Dawson, at 44 last I heard, should ‘take up knitting’ at ‘her age’.

Funny old world.

40 Gidgit { 08.29.12 at 7:01 pm }

Eh, I’m 41 hon – and I knit (badly) Tis very relaxing.

41 Georgie { 08.29.12 at 7:21 pm }

Lol, I used to knit when I was younger but gave it up at age 45 because I started getting cramps in my hands – due to getting older.

42 Georgie { 08.29.12 at 7:31 pm }

And sweet Charlotte was just on ACA blowing off about her traumatic twitter experience. Funny she didn’t mention she’d called RR a c**t on twitter a few months ago.

43 brain dead dave { 08.29.12 at 10:34 pm }

Good Charlotte will be on Can Of Worms next week.

Thanks for removing the garbage, RR.

44 Reality Raver { 08.29.12 at 10:52 pm }

I don’t mind people calling me a c**t but what does annoy me is when they do it under regular commenters names.

45 Malise { 08.30.12 at 3:14 am }

First thought: whatever else is going on, I just have to come down thinking the abuse she’s currently receiving is far out of proportion to the thing that caused it.
Second thought, a comment like that to someone who has just lost a loved one: Out of order. Every time.

Last thought: feeding the trolls has never helped things. Ever!

That’s all x

46 Anonymous { 08.30.12 at 6:27 am }

It’s so funny how they are saying that the university worker was the one who told Charlotte to hang herself. The papers even screen shotted the conversation and it was another user? Poor lady is getting blamed! Charlotte knows this and is not saying a word! Evil!

47 Reality Raver { 08.30.12 at 8:05 am }

NZ TV Blog is querying her use of Twitter and also picks up on the issue that she is using the whole thing to promote her book http://www.throng.co.nz/2012/08/the-other-side-of-the-charlotte-dawson-twitter-abuse-saga/

48 Paul { 08.30.12 at 8:34 am }

Bit hard to believe she is using this as a stunt to promote her book – she was not the one that sent the initial vile tweet/s in the first place remember. And IMO CD would do just about anything to get in the spotlight usually.

The more I think about it, the more I’m on her side on this. People love to say they use twitter and facebook as ‘social media’. Well sweethearts, if you want to be in the ‘media’ then every utterance you make in that space needs to be accountable.

Especially these days with job applicants having their facebook and twitter accounts perused as part of the hiring process. Height of stupidity to behave like a dickhead in this day and age.

Five years ago the interwebs was the Wild West where people could say as they pleased. That is changing and changing quickly.

There are going to be hard lessons for some people to learn in my opinion.

49 Reality Raver { 08.30.12 at 8:40 am }

Paul but the same levels of accountability should apply to all in my opinion and I think she perpetuates and in fact starts it.

50 Paul { 08.30.12 at 9:04 am }

Yes but she only loads the bullets – she does not fire the gun !!!!

I’ve got no sympathy for those that got retweeted. I bet you they won’t be doing that again, in any case. Plus, it may make people think about consequences next time they are tempted to do something similar.