I Will Survive – Rocking It Out In Cobar

Why wasn’t Tom Sharah front and centre of the I Will Survive promos? This kid is a star and has charisma in bucket loads. Not sure why he was buried maybe he just didn’t have the truck driving, football kicking, or mine working background they wanted highlighted to draw the punters in.

However if a show is about singing, show us the singers please.

Tom has the type of personality and talent that can attract people into watching shows, Australia’s Got Talent last year was a huge hit mainly because of one person Jack Vidgen. Tom is a star in the making.

Tonight the boys hit Cobar all frocked up, except for host Hugh Sheridan of course, Jamie dressed as a purple animal had a meltdown on the main street about not being given enough time to get ready and having to push through the pack. Oh honey more of your diva ways and we got them when he dressed up in a straight jacket for his rock number. As Stephan Elliott said it was pure Eurovision, and yes that was a positive thing.

Tonight the eleven remaining boys had to bring out their inner rock dude.

And to be honest some were pretty average, however there was some highlights.

They include Tom Sharah doing Bob Segers Old Time Rock and Roll, Stephen Mahey, and Nathan sing King’s Of Leon’s Use Somebody. Some of his former Hi-5 fans were in the audience now 15 years ago. Now THAT would have made him feel old.

Even though the judges thought Brenden rendition of  Chris Issak’s Baby Did A Bad Bad Thing tanked, I quite liked it.

Rohan was in a world of pain when he blew his opening of Khe Sanh however also I thought he sang it like it was karaoke and Jason Donovan described it as a car crash.

It is great the viewer is getting to see all of the contestants sing even if they are short excerpts, however I would like to hear more from the judges, as they are one of the drawcards to the show. Stefan Elliott again showed he is witty, and Asher Keddie is a delight. However I am not sure why most of the guest judges don’t have a singing  background and would question whether they have the credentials to assess the performances. However Kyle Sandilands has been a judge on a plethora of talent shows.

Bottom three were Frank, Rohan, and Davin. Davin said he knew it was a tough ask to get through rock week, and his rock song was a little camp, but his vocals were certainly not the weakest.

I Will Survive on Network TEN Tuesday and Wednesday nights at 7.30pm.

1 Varsity { 08.28.12 at 11:36 pm }

I agree with you regarding Tom, I also think that the other ‘out there’ characters should of been shown in their commercials like Jamie and Davin. These are the sort of personalities that bring in viewers. Thought this episode was a little slower then the first 2. There was some good performances, obviously this was not Davins cup of tea but I still like him a lot. Poor Rohan, that was a disaster.

2 Paige { 08.29.12 at 12:07 am }

I also agree about Tom Sharah. As an 18 year old female watching “I Will Survive” after only 3 episode I am now solely watching for any glimpse of Tom. He had my entire age group at “Fab,Fierce, Feroshe”, channel 10 need to get onto marketing him immediately- he is going to be HUGE!

3 Cheryl { 08.29.12 at 12:13 am }

Nathan didn’t sing “Sex on Fire” aka the Altiyan fail song, he sang “Use Somebody”

4 Morgan { 08.29.12 at 6:22 am }

Tom, Nathan and Jamie’s performances were all amazing. Tom
Is definitely a huge favourite to win this. And it was Adrian who sand Sex On Fire, Nathan sang Use Somebody. Frank will leave tomorrow, I’m sure of it. While he’s a nice, funny guy, he just dosen’t seem to have what it takes.

5 Georgie { 08.29.12 at 7:08 am }

I think this show really suffers from ‘playing to an empty house’. It stuck out like the proverbials last night when the guys all got off the bus in the middle of Cobar and the streets were virtually empty. It spoiled what seemed like a great performance.

It was a similar situation last week at the football in Dubbo – not enough of a crowd to play to. It was raining on both occasions too which wouldn’t have helped.

I’m wondering if the producers did enough forward promotion in the towns they were visiting. I know Cobar is not a big place, but Dubbo is and when something out of the ordinary happens in a country town, especially with cameras, curiosity and the opportunity to get your mug on TV usually brings people out.

6 Joseph Skyrim { 08.29.12 at 8:54 am }

Ironically this show would be more watchable if they didn’t keep dressing up in drag. Was hoping they wouldn’t do it this episode but nope. Can’t say I didn’t try. :/

I think one of them summed it up nicely when they were reading the paper “What, just because we’re doing Priscilla that makes us gay?”

Yes. Yes it does.

7 planb { 08.29.12 at 9:33 am }

Joseph –
Check out the original cast list of the movie, Priscilla. You might ammend your assumptions.

8 Scott { 08.29.12 at 10:11 am }

This show is dropping viewers fast (and they didn’t have a lot to start with)

Last Tuesday night (21/08/2012) – 506,000 viewers
Last Wednesday night (22/08/2012) – 427,000 viewers (15.6% drop)
Last night (28/08/2012) – 364,000 viewers (14.7% drop)

Trend is not good.

9 Daze { 08.29.12 at 10:35 am }

Ouch Scott, I didn’t want to hear that. It’s looking dismal isn’t it. The show deserves more viewers and I don’t know why it’s not getting them. I just think it’s a refreshing show and I’m really enjoying the whole concept. It’s fun entertainment and everyone on the show comes across as really nice. Bugger, I hope we get to see the full show and that it doesn’t get ripped off the screen. I’d even surmise the locals in these outback towns would be enjoying a bit of colour and life to their normal day to day existence. From all accounts, it seems the cast and crew are having a hell of a fun time and no doubt are working bloody hard to create a new style show for us, the viewers. I

It’s a home grown show – C’mon Aussies, be there or be square.

10 Culinary Boner { 08.29.12 at 10:38 am }

Mrs Boner had this on in the other room and, from what I unfortunately heard and glimpsed, the mangling of these rock songs was like nails down a blackboard.

I’d posted previously that I’d always thought these singing/dancing/acting types were called ‘triple threads’ due in large part to my poor hearing but also as this implied to me they had a ‘weave’ of stage talents. Or lots of strings to their bow.

So I was shocked to learn that they are instead ‘triple threats’ – based entirely, and undeservedly, on a term first used in American Football for a player who could run, pass and kick (sounds like no more than a better than average NRL player).

After last night I revise my opinion.

They are indeed ‘triple threats’ to musicality, mentality and masculinity.

11 Theatrenut { 08.29.12 at 10:54 am }

The term “triple threat” was in fact created by the legendary Michael Bennett when he was writing A Chorus Line in the late 60s because he needed his cast to be excellent in acting, singing, and dancing.

12 Joseph Skyrim { 08.29.12 at 11:00 am }

Haha nice planb. I did just that and got mind-f-ed :P.

Still too disturbing for me though. Prefer to switch over to my horror shows with partially decapitated ghost children and horrible deaths than seeing dudes in drag. :S

I did like when they were singing/trying to sing at the concert though. Some of them are really good – but their performances were too short (or televised too short)!

13 brain dead dave { 08.29.12 at 11:00 am }

That makes most of these guys “triple turds” ,then.

14 Morgan { 08.29.12 at 11:21 am }

This show really deserves more viewers than shit like BB and FWAW.

15 Culinary Boner { 08.29.12 at 11:51 am }

Theatrenut, 1st use of the term in stage performance may have been in the 1960s, but this was pre-dated in the more manly pursuit of chasing after a pig-skin bladder and smashing other blokes out of the way to reach the touch-down zone to the adulation of the crowd and the high-kicks of the cheergirls –

“The term “triple threat” was used frequently by sportwriters in the 1920s and thereafter. A 1920 New York Times article reports that such a player:-
‘is well built, tall, and possessed apparently of natural football ability. He is a first-class punter, an excellent drop kicker, an adept thrower of forward passes and a hard, fast runner.
He would be the ideal triple-threat man for the backfield.’ ”

I still don’t get how a stage performer is a ‘threat’ – well I suppose if they get pissed before a performance they’d be such*. And to be frank I generally prefer the ones I waste my hard-earned cash on to be a ‘talent’.
Seems a misappropriation of a term that was already in use that stuck but when looked at closely makes little real sense.

* Although I’d revise this for a Shakespearean actor who keeps ‘breaking a leg’.

16 brain dead dave { 08.29.12 at 11:52 am }

I watch it and agree that it deserves more viewers but think that a lot won’t watch it because they think the cross dressing isn’t “family” fare.

There’s really nothing new under the Sun. In Shakespeare’s time, there were no female actors. Female characters were always played by males in drag.

I never baulked at buying an Alice Cooper album because the guy took a female persona and wore mascara. The New York Dolls were a great rock and roll band. It’s just showbiz.

17 CAM { 08.29.12 at 12:04 pm }

I am loving this show so seeing the numbers it’s pulling is depressing…I hope Channel 10 doesn’t yank it off air. Maybe it being on over two nights is a bit much? The second night in particular has lots of filler: let’s just get to the boys having a show down and vote one off, that could easily be done in half an hour.

Tom is fantastic, Nathan was good last night but something about him makes my skin crawl…he wasn’t as cocky this week I guess but last week I almost vomited every time he opened his mouth. I like the guy from Jersey Boys, I thought Jamie’s public hissy fit was hysterical and I love the guy who sang “Sex on Fire” even though I thought he was far better last week. I also love Matt – I thought his Elvis number was hilarious! Davin’s hair confuses me and I agree that his performance last night was way too camp. I agree that Frank will probably go tonight…he seems lovely but he can’t sing.

I love seeing the boys all dressed up in drag…although it does get confusing as it’s difficult to recognise who’s who. I love how camp they all become in their drag personas.

18 Reality Raver { 08.29.12 at 12:05 pm }

Whoops changed the song now thanks guys.

Agree Georgie it was like there was tumbleweed when those boys hit Cobar.

19 joan { 08.29.12 at 12:11 pm }

I unfortunately heard a commercial for this show, the singing was terrible, so glad I have never watched a full episode.

20 brain dead dave { 08.29.12 at 12:15 pm }

I think the problem with Nathan is that he still thinks he’s performing in Hi 5 and is deploying that nauseatingly plastic smile at all costs schtick. Hence , he effortlessly reduces sophisticated, serious material like “Superstitious” to nursery rhyme quality bilge.

Unfortunately, that’s coming across as just the lamest attempt to crawl up the collective ar$e of an older and perhaps wiser audience.

21 Culinary Boner { 08.29.12 at 12:53 pm }

I reckon it was the over-played link to Priscilla, a grossly over-rated bubble-head of an Aussie film that I felt was crudely backfilled with mysogyny, that killed this show’s chances.

Though the singing I heard last night didn’t help. Nor does the idea of spending time watching Nathan Foley minus Charli Delaney and Kellie Crawford.

If I want camp, I’ll watch Basil Brush.
If I want camp rock, I’ll listen to The Sweet.

22 Morgan { 08.29.12 at 3:59 pm }

Joan – Judging a show just by a commerical? Tsk tsk.