I Will Survive – Few More Show Tunes Please

It would be great to see an episode where they were struggling to find the bottom three not trying to decide who to leave out of it.

Last night the Priscilla bus travelled to Broken Hill and the boys frocked up to do a Mad Max drag number mouthing to the music. Which is traditionally what drag queens do. If you were channel hopping at that point of time you would have wondered what the hell was going on.

Then it was off to a farm to sing a country song to the judges and bootscooting with  the ladies from the Silver City bootscooting group. If you like neither it was a long episode to watch.

For a show that is trying to find the next big musical theatre star there is very little traditional musical theatre in it. It would not be good if a contestant was eliminated because he could not sing country  or rock.

The best numbers last night was Danvin’s tap dancing routine which in fact a bit of musical theatre into the show, and they are meant to be looking for a triple threat.

Also Jamie’s train wreck of a performance singing Joelene. However it would have been interesting if he had actually remembered the words, as his voice was one of the stronger ones last night and he was putting on a performance. Though he did look like a person a week after Mardi Gras who had forgotten to go home complete with lost hat and a top that did not cover that long gone six pack!

What must be difficult is trying to being some energy on stage when there are few people in the audience to feed off on. The show obviously has to showcase other genres but maybe the elimination routine could be a more traditional broadway number as I noticed in the first week a lot of the boys struggled with the pop song Girls Just Want To Have Fun.

However looking at the previews for tonight’s episode they imply that the routine is so fabulous that they find it difficult to cull someone. Hopefully this is the case. Stephan Elliott again proved he was the snappier of the judges, and hopefully Jason Donovan will start showing a bit more personality soon.

What do you think of I Will Survive? Are you still watching it?

I Will Survive is on TEN on Tuesday and Wednesday nights at 7.30pm

1 Gidgit { 09.05.12 at 12:52 pm }

I’m still watching…just. Could not agree more – there is a MASSIVE lack of musical songs and numbers. End of the day these guys are auditioning to be in a MUSICAL on stage in New York – not the next X Factor contestant. There seems to be glimers of fun as well, but really the whole show should be more joyous. They are not finding the next nuclear scientist, thus it is kinda lacking the fun and let’s face it – camp – that it should be playing up.

It’s sad not many people are watching it but it’s at the wrong time and should be later. I honestly do not think it’s the ‘camp’ factor as much as people are just prefering to opt to another ‘talent show’ which appeals to a ‘broader’ audience.

I just hope Adrien doesn’t go home – I still have goosebumps from him singing ‘Everybodies Talkin’ from Midnight Cowboy.

2 AJ { 09.05.12 at 2:28 pm }

I’m still watching, but I think they need to edit the two weekly episodes into a single episode. Open with the first “drag” number, then the solo performances, then quickly determine the “bottom three”, then the closing “drag” number and then an elimination.

All the other stuff is just “filler”. And the “blokey” challenges don’t make sense to me. They’re looking for the next “Broadway” star. I’m sure there are plenty of straight male actors on Broadway, but I doubt all of them know how to expertly pick-up a random woman, shoot a gun, play rugly or are masters of other stereotypical “masculine” hobbies.

For goodness sake, the show has “Priscilla” in the name. Just embrace the camp and run with it instead of trying to shame the contestants into engaging in “blokey” pursuits and singing random categories of music that have nothing to do with Broadway. Surely the number of Broadway musicals is diverse enough to still test their vocal, dancing and acting ability?

3 Culinary Boner { 09.05.12 at 2:37 pm }

Hey Raver, when are they featuring this song? –

4 bella vita { 09.05.12 at 2:51 pm }

Huge fan of shows that showcase talent and music.

Unfortunately this one is just a shocking format. I still can’t understand why they didn’t do something like the shows Andrew Lloyd Webber did in the UK finding a new star for The Sound of Music, Oliver, Joseph etc…where they sang proper songs each week and weren’t made up to be fools or take the piss out of themselves.

What on earth was the purpose of the bootscooters? They couldn’t even scoot in time, didn’t give a rats how they looked on TV, nor smiled or even cared.

Jason Donovan a huge disappointment, expected much more from him. And Magda? A triple threat? Apart from Guys and Doll (Production Company 2 week run) where she actually played a guy role, how on earth she is an expert at this genre is beyond me.

Embarrassing show for the industry.

5 Morgan { 09.05.12 at 3:03 pm }

What was the point of the squaredancing lesson? Most of the guys didn’t even dance during their solo performances and the bootscooters didn’t seem to care or even try to dance. Nathan and Davin were the best of the night for me, and Jamie’s performance was hilarious, I hope he dosen’t leave tonight as he provides so much entertainment. Tough call tonight on who will leave, Mike dosen’t stand out at all, but I thought Magda’s critique on Adrian was spot on, he has a lovely voice, but I don’t see a broadway performer in him.

Gigdit – I agree, this show should be just an hour and a half a week.

Bella Vita – Well, if this show is embarrassing, I guess it’s a good thing that not many are watching it.

6 chasingvegas { 09.05.12 at 3:11 pm }

Still watching & loving it. Although I do agree that last night’s episode was lacking a little glitter. I loved Adrian’s version of that Taylor Swift song & completely disagreed with the judges placing him in the bottom 3. Davin is a complete douche bag, can’t stand him, so bitchy & not in a good way. Fingers crossed Jamie goes tonight…..coincidence that both Jamie & Davin had cold sores last night?…creepy.

7 brain dead dave { 09.05.12 at 4:13 pm }

I’m switching over to watch it after BB and caught the butchering of “Jolene” ,the John Denver song and so on. The bootscooters were just terrible.

But I’ll be tuning into this show late tonight on ABC 2 at 11.pm. It looks totally sick.

Baby Beauty Queens ~ “The story of three girls, aged seven to nine, as they enter Britain’s first ever pre-teen beauty pageant and how their mothers do everything possible to help their daughters win.”

8 Daze { 09.05.12 at 5:38 pm }

I’m still watching too but it’s not as gripping as I thought it would be, it’s lacking ‘guts’ and something ballsy is missing (excuse pun). It could have been a real great show but I cannot put my finger on the lacklustre that seems this show needs. Can’t help but think I will watch it to the end, pretty interested in Adrian and Tom and how far they will go. Really nice guys.

9 Georgie { 09.05.12 at 6:11 pm }

I still think the ‘missing ingredient’ is the live audience, which I mentioned last week. A show with all the flurry of colourful outfits, music, singing and dancing, needs some live feedback. Something more responsive than 3 judges and the remaining contestants pulling various banal faces and nodding that is. A stage show without an audience has the quality of a rehearsal so the performances don’t feel real. Last nights show had as much impact as one staged in somebody’s backyard and those line dancers – FGS why bother – I’ve seen more life in props.

10 brain dead dave { 09.05.12 at 6:25 pm }

There was a live audience,Georgie…..it’s just that they were crickets.

11 A.P { 09.05.12 at 6:41 pm }

Thanks BDD for the Baby Beauty Queens info, I will be watching.
There is also a show on SBS one at 8.30 tonight called Meet The Amish which is a four part reality show which sounds good. Might be worth a look too.
I’ve tried to stick with I Will Survive but I can’t really get into it.

12 Georgie { 09.05.12 at 7:23 pm }

Lol bdd – maybe the crickets could have stood in for the line dancers. Boot scootin’ bugs.