Big Brother – New Housemate Revealed To Be No Different From Others

Well if you were thinking a different type of housemate is entering the Big Brother house tonight think again.

Behind Big Brother has revealed the new house mate is Samuel Wallace a twenty something beefcake from the Gold Coast. Yes now THAT will really add something new to the house.

The whole claim that they were casting differently has been a total farce with a stream of twenty something good looking people who have their eye on a post show media career.

Last week in TV Week the producer Alex Mavroidakis was asked why there was not a wide range of ages cast as there were in the ads for the show.

He said:

“Because of the four-year break, the last memory of Big Brother for a lot of people was a slightly tainted image. We quite simply didn’t get [older people] auditioning. I think we had two mus that got to the last round. We didn’t get a doctor or lawyer, and what I don’t want to do is start scouring the streets saying “We desperately need a lawyer, or a mum or teacher.” What we put in the house were the 14 best people that are the perfect mix. In an ideal world, I would’ve had someone in their 40s and a couple of people in their 30s, but we dealt with what we had.”

The other current BB scandal was Ray revealing the nomination booth was not sound proof. Something you can expect he will  be asked about on the live blog on the News Limited sites starting at 12.30pm. Also in that interview on Perth Now he revealed that Ava did in fact have the girls erupting within 24 hours of being in there.

He also said being confined in the house was testing mentally.

Big Brother on NINE at 7pm weeknights.

1 Paul { 09.17.12 at 12:09 pm }

Whilst it is frustrating that there isn’t much variety in the age gaps, I think the producers comments are understandable.

It is just too hard for a person over 30 to remove themselves from the normal world for 2-3 months. Most people in this age bracket have financial/family/work commitments and with BB really offering them nothing professionally afterwards, there is not much incentive to apply.

A show like Masterchef is different as it at least offers some sort of professional window once you complete the show.

2 David { 09.17.12 at 12:18 pm }

It’s complete BS. There were plenty of older people at the Melbourne auditions on the day I went – my group contained only two or three people under 35! The problem isn’t so much that they didn’t turn up, it’s that the casting people responsible for the first round of the audition process apparently didn’t get the memo.

3 Bolders { 09.17.12 at 1:09 pm }

Maybe the Big Brother casting agents are ex-Virgin Australia recruiting agents.
They may have the same playbook that saw Virgin Australia brought before the Anti-Discrimination tribunal by stewards over the age of 35.

4 brain dead dave { 09.17.12 at 1:13 pm }

“A slightly tainted image”? “Perfect mix ” ?

This producer honcho is a Zen Master of sugar coating.

5 Stacey { 09.17.12 at 1:35 pm }

It wouldn’t be so bad if the show editors would just show the interesting things that are going on in the house rather than the inane stuff we’ve been seeing all season.
Surely there were heaps of interesting people who tried out?

6 Johnny { 09.17.12 at 1:41 pm }

Ooo a show with my mum n dad!! Now that’s something I’d loove 2watch!0.O …..lol

7 A.P { 09.17.12 at 1:54 pm }

I believe there would have been at least some people over 35 who would have auditioned, not all would have been working and unable to go in the house, there could have been a single mother or maybe someone on the dole ,or someone disabled, or someone retired, who knows, anything is possible.
I just don’t believe they could not have found one person who was available!

8 Mahlia { 09.17.12 at 2:39 pm }

It may be that older people are less likely to act impulsively and involve themselves in bitchiness. A generalisation I know, but something that does tend to come with maturity.

9 Gidgit { 09.17.12 at 5:14 pm }

So no ‘older’ people auditioned? I’d call bull on that little statement.

There is really is nothing they can say about the staged people they selected. I’m not saying they are ‘actors’ but they are certainly well versed and prepped and ‘suggested’ as to what should be happening in the house.
Not that I’m terribly concerned over any of it – it’s a rubbish show – Ch 9 are fill of it (not one second of what we see on screen is ‘live’ – not one second) and the whole series is really just a big old mess.

Bah, Boardwalk Empire started today! Sons of Anarchy started last week and for my ‘fluff’ – I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here starts pretty soon. I just think it’s a shame 9 decided to botch this – it actually could have been quite interesting and very entertaining – could have been…

10 Gidgit { 09.17.12 at 5:17 pm }

And not to harp on – but let me use this as an example in case people do not think it would have been better with a different group of people. Take all the contestants from My Kitchen Rules earlier in the year – now put all of THEM into the house.

My work here is done…

11 A.P { 09.17.12 at 5:23 pm }

Good idea Gidgit and they could include a couple from Masterchef and Biggest Loser such as margie! It would have been a hit show with more everyday people of all ages, not just young ones looking for fame and fortune! Pity they don’t listen to us!

12 Gidgit { 09.17.12 at 6:56 pm }

I think we all need to start our OWN channel! 😉

13 Stacey { 09.17.12 at 10:14 pm }

Ok I’m going to have to agree with some comments above. The producers have no idea whose going to turn up to the auditions. They do have to filter out the mentally unstable and time poor applicants from the rest.
I missed the first half hour of tonights episode (which I assume was the aftermath of Ray’s eviction?). Did they show Ava and Josh’s make-out session and his and Micheal’s convo about it all?

14 Reality Raver { 09.17.12 at 10:18 pm }

Stacey – Yes they showed the make-out session and a bit of the convo after it. He said he could not say no.

15 Big Brother – George Turns His Super Power Into A Blooper | reality ravings { 09.18.12 at 12:11 am }

[…] have to wait see it on our screens tomorrow night. If you think the new housemate will add some diversity in the house think again. Related PostsSeptember 17, 2012 — Big Brother – New Housemate Revealed To Be No Different […]

16 Nathan { 09.18.12 at 1:44 am }

was interesting that ava and estelle became friends at least…hope it lasts. hope the new guy annoys michael,josh and benjamin ..but not getting my hopes up.

17 DD { 09.18.12 at 7:19 am }

It was quite apparent that poor Rays eviction was so staged by the producers knowing a male intruder was coming to the house.
He goes from most saved the previous week to loser this week.
Now who do we keep in the house to boost the ratings and stir it up more with a new male intruder on the way …the two nom girls or Ray ?
Cmon BB your not fooling the intelligent viewers !

18 John { 09.18.12 at 1:03 pm }

Plenty of 30 and 40-somethings turned up on my audition day!!

19 Kim { 09.20.12 at 2:42 pm }

That is so not true re who auditioned for big brother I auditioned am a lawyer and mum in my late 30s and they were not interested. One of the Little Sister articles even referred to me and I auditioned 2x once in Sydney and once in Tas. There were lots of older different people auditioning they just weren’t interested in them

20 Big Brother – A Potential Intruder Reveals His Frustration At The Casting Of The Show | reality ravings { 10.29.12 at 7:42 am }

[…] producer Alex Mavroidakis stated that they just did not get the older person auditioning, see blog post here, however commenters begged to […]