The Top Ten TV Show Fails Of All Time

News.com.au has put together a list of the top ten shows they think are the worst of all time. It is a combination of reality and other TV shows

The Renovators was number one on the list with The Shire, Yasmin Getting Married, Being Lara Bingle and Top Design the other shows that made the list.

The non-reality shows on there are Warnie, Echo Point, Kyle and Jackie O’s A Night With The Stars, Ben Elton Live From Planet Earth and The Mick Molloy Show.

It is ironic that The Renovators which averaged around the 700,000 viewer mark is on the list when Everybody Dance Now which was actually axed, and I Will Survive with half those ratings did not make it.

I wonder if it has anything to do with who owns that media outlet.

Other reality shows they should have considered adding to the list is The Resort, Australian Survivor, My Kid Is A Star and Pirate Master.

Can you think of other shows that you think were absolute turkeys?

1 bella vita { 09.18.12 at 1:21 am }

I LOVED Echo Point..LOL

Ahh…Yasmin, good memories

Surprised Man O Man didn’t make the list. What class that show was!
Funky Squad was a shocker
Paradise Beach…lol
Marty & Jess
Undercover Angels

ANYTHING with Jackie O (except for Popstars which was actually quite ground breaking at the time)

2 Morgan { 09.18.12 at 7:48 am }

I remember the Australian version of Survivor! All the way back in 2002. Only had one season, right?

3 A.P { 09.18.12 at 9:53 am }

Its funny how the Australian version of Survivor never took off considering how popular the USA version is, they must be doing something right!
Maybe its time for another try with it? Also there was only one season of Celebrity Big Brother, I’d like that to have another go, Sonia Kruger has said she would do it and Charlotte Dawson would be good in there as well as Deni Hines! Lots of possibilities!
I think you’ve covered all the crap shows, but what about COPS LAC with Kate Ritchie? It was awful and TRICKY BUSINESS?

4 brain dead dave { 09.18.12 at 10:12 am }

My Kid’s A Star and Paradise Beach have already rightfully been mentioned.

I’d add Chances and Ma$terchef to the list, considering ratings don’t seem to matter in the news.com.au “study”.

Renovators wasn’t that bad , really. More recently, Bikie Wars was a bit of a disappointment as is the current Big Brother.

Anything with Lisa McCune.

5 Swanny { 09.18.12 at 10:24 am }

@brain dead dave

Masterchef is nowhere near a fail. Its first and second season finales were the top shows of OzTAM ratings all time.

A show is a failure when its a huge loss for the network, with potentially millions of dollars of lost revenue, which The Renovators would have been for Ten.

The Shire was a failure for having such a huge promotional hype in the leadup to its premiere, yet never gained more than 900k viewers in one episode.

You or I may not like Masterchef, but it is definitely NOT a fail.

6 brain dead dave { 09.18.12 at 10:37 am }

I’ve submitted my opinion on the worst shows, making it clear in the second sentence that ratings wouldn’t be my prime consideration for selecting them. As per the news article.

As a viewer I don’t care if the show makes money for the Network- that comes at a price of a lot of tiresome advertising and product placements- I just want light amusement from a genuine, entertaining product.

7 Swanny { 09.18.12 at 10:42 am }

Fair enough it’s your opinion. But that’s it, opinion. I’d add TT and ACA to the list if I could, but at the end of the day, they’re not failures. The news.com.au story was clearly going off ratings and whether or not they were a failure for the network, so I don’t get why you’re criticising the story, when its selections were somewhat spot on.

8 Reality Raver { 09.18.12 at 10:42 am }

Maybe I should do a list of the best reality shows of all time! Have to confess BDD Masterchef Australia might make my list. If keeping it to Australian versions on shows it could be interesting. Maybe would have to mention seasons. Like Big Brother Season 1-3.

9 chasingvegas { 09.18.12 at 10:43 am }

Survivor was a complete disaster….of course being a massive Survivor fan I watched the entire season. Others that I’m surprised didn’t make the list, although I continued to watch are Temptation Island & Playing It Straight….hence why I am sticking with I Will Survive!!

10 Culinary Boner { 09.18.12 at 11:13 am }

I absolutely loved My Kid’s A Star.
Max Markson.
Danny Bonaduce*.
Psychotically delusional parents.
Tragically untalented kids.
Reality TV nirvana.

* Just for you ladies –

11 John { 09.18.12 at 11:38 am }

I guess I’m showing my age here,but heads rolled big-time back in 1980 when Network 10’s shopfront soapie ARCADE was aborted at great expense after just a few weeks on air!! Some of its more cringe-inducing moments can still be endured on YouTube.

12 brain dead dave { 09.18.12 at 11:56 am }

That’s worthy inclusion , John . I don’t remember the show but the lost $ and furore, I do.

Meatloaf at last year’s AFL Grand Final. A ma$$ive fail. Fat Out Of Hell.

13 Izobel2 { 09.18.12 at 12:04 pm }

I’ve said it before, but I thought Renovators was great, it just needed a bit different format. I watched every ep and enjoyed them all.

Top Design wasn’t really a good show though.

As for Pirate Master!!! What a shocker that was!

And thanks Boner for the photo! I’ve seen him on Dr Phil lately, he’s a classic character isn’t he.

Can’t think of any other fail shows at the moment, but I’m sure they’re out there!

14 drb123 { 09.18.12 at 12:11 pm }

Family Double Dare and anything else Bob Shanks in the dying days of the Lowy ownership of Ten

15 Chunks { 09.18.12 at 12:24 pm }

Surely Chances was one of the ten worst Aussie shows ever? Not sure why The Renovators was on the list at all.

16 A.P { 09.18.12 at 12:33 pm }

CB, I prefer to remember Danny Bonaduce as the bratty little kid in The Partridge Family along with Billy Mumy who played Will Robinson in Lost in Space, good memories of good shows back in the good old days!
Also all the kids from the Brady Bunch, I don’t want any of them to grow up!

17 Morgan { 09.18.12 at 1:33 pm }

Probably a bit off topic, but does anyone remember The Mole? I loved that show!

18 Culinary Boner { 09.18.12 at 3:20 pm }

Danny Bonaduce, raconteur extraordinaire, explains what happened to him “one day in 1991” (probably NSFW):

19 Culinary Boner { 09.18.12 at 3:54 pm }
20 Eliza { 09.18.12 at 4:10 pm }

Morgan – The Mole was great!

Poor The Renovators. I really enjoyed the show! In saying that, I also am still enjoying I Will Survive.. so clearly my taste in reality TV doesn’t seem to bode well with the rest of Australia!

21 Buzzy { 09.18.12 at 4:57 pm }

I agree. I really liked the Renovators, the host and the 2 of the judges (not Beardy Bore).

RR do a Best of. Sell it everywhere!

Good ones Lisa McCune and Mr Loaf Ha Ha.

22 Culinary Boner { 09.18.12 at 5:32 pm }

Only old farts (like me) and ABC viewers will remember this…
‘The Off Show’
A tragically bad sketch comedy by the Aunty Jack team – Graeme Bond and Rory O’Donahue – which met with utter embarrassment and bafflement when it aired in 1977

23 Culinary Boner { 09.18.12 at 5:39 pm }

Oh… and what about this?
Cameron Daddo?
Blackface?
Need I say any more?

24 Reality Raver { 09.18.12 at 7:14 pm }

Culinary Boner – Hey maybe Danny Bonaduce will be in the mix as the new judge on The Voice.

25 Lebay { 09.19.12 at 8:37 am }

I loved Funky Squad, I have the DVD and watch it often……

I loved The Mole as well, BRING BACK THE MOLE!

26 Culinary Boner { 09.19.12 at 10:11 am }

Raver, I’d probably even watch The Voice * if Danny Bonaduce was a judge.
Enjoy – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v6YEtvcSVk

* Yes, even despite my severe aversion to the caterwauling pop, pseudo-rock and other nonsense that sells records these days.

27 Culinary Boner { 09.19.12 at 12:16 pm }

“BRING BACK THE MOLE!”
*wish apparently granted*
I thought I read Charlotte Dawson’s back on twitter, isn’t she? –

28 Izobel2 { 09.19.12 at 11:17 pm }

I have just remembered a shocker… Please Marry My Boy… Bad idea and blokes. Bad prize of ‘winning’ the girl that was chosen by the mum, which didn’t last past the end credits!
Way worse than the US Momma’s Boys!

29 John { 09.20.12 at 6:18 am }

“Holiday Island”…a woeful 80s soap set in a Queensland tropical holiday resort,which was in fact filmed in Melbourne during one of the bleakest winters in history. Watching shivering actresses lounging poolside in their next-to-nothing bikinis was nothing compared to the cruel spectacle of witnessing the hapless bathing beauties of both genders who had to jump into the (unheated) swimming pool. Starred Steven Grives,Patricia Kennedy,Rowena Wallace…and some of the shonkiest lighting and set design ever to sink a production.Also featured former “Super Flying Fun Show” host Marilyn Mayo emoting horrendously in the role of Dusty,everyone’s favourite barmaid!

30 John { 09.20.12 at 6:27 am }

From Cash-Harmon,the producers of the wildly successful “Number 96” came something called “The Unisexers”… a soapie set in and around a designer jeans manufacturing house.For the hapless producers,in this case lightning DIDN’T strike twice! Was on and off the air within a month.

31 Culinary Boner { 09.20.12 at 9:36 am }

THE SUPER FLYING FUN SHOW!!!!
Now that’s a blast from the past, John.

Miss Marilyn!? I had a school boy crush on her:

This all pre-dated Dazza and Ossie of course and featured the lamest looking chicken suit ever seen on TV.

I remember the tremulous, teasing hyped-up advertising for the Unisexers at the time and as a junior school kid the very fact that the word S-E-X was in the title meant I just had to watch it. Not that my parents let me. Whilst I hated them for this at the time, hindsight has proved their policy to be the correct one.

32 full tv shows { 11.08.12 at 9:15 pm }

This post inform us for all time fails Tv shows…………but i think all shows are not fail all time………….