for those who have reality tv as their guilty pleasure
Reality Ravings | Australia's leading Reality TV blog!

The X Factor – What About Tonight – Fake?

The X Factor has not only had to contend with the fact they have had to punt Josh Brookes from the show this week, but stories are emerging that boy band What About Tonight may not have met over YouTube as they have claimed.

The Sun Herald states the band was in fact put together prior to the show.

The article states:

Sources in the industry have told The Sun-Herald What About Tonight, who already have 32,000 Twitter followers, are being sued by a music manager who will allege he manufactured them for months before the show.

The veteran manager David Caplice and his partner, Alfred Touhey, are believed to be suing the group, who have repeatedly said on the Channel Seven program they formed after meeting online.

Caplice has worked with Human Nature, Shannon Noll, Guy Sebastian and Jessica Mauboy.

Last week, another contestant, Josh Brookes, was kicked off the program for inappropriate behaviour on social media.

Caplice and Touhey declined to comment but it is believed the pair prepared the band’s members on what to say at the auditions about how they met and why What About Tonight was different to the hit British group One Direction.

”These guys created the act,” a source from the television show said. ”They cast it from huge auditions they held around the country, they developed it, they named it, they trained the boys and they gave them the opportunity.

”And once the boys hit the top 12 [on the program] they reneged on the deal they had with them.”

The insider said Caplice and Touhey cast the group by whittling the act down to the five boys aged between 14 and 18 from Cairns, Melbourne and Sydney, and paid for them to travel to Sydney and train with intensive dance rehearsals.

When asked about how they got together in an interview with The Sun-Herald last week, the band’s 18-year-old member, Cairns barista Luke Howell, said: ”We all met through YouTube. Mitchell’s older brother Clinton found us and we skyped each other, we literally met four days before the audition.”

He said What About Tonight managed themselves and were ”hoping to get picked up when the show finished”.

Earlier this year Caplice went on Ten’s Breakfast show to announce he was scouting for talent for a boy band.

The source also said Caplice and Touhey had cast some boys in the band who FremantleMedia already had in their sights as solo artists, and subsequently ended up in a group formed by the judges called The Collective. The source said the group had signed a short-term initial letter of intent as a binding contract with Caplice and Touhey but later pulled out.

Above is a clip of What About Tonight at a JMA Entertainment Day.

Neither the making of What About Tonight and The Collective sound very random at all. It will be interesting to see what else emerges.

 

10 comments

1 brain dead dave { 09.23.12 at 12:25 pm }

What’s That Smell Tonight?

A rat?

2 Georgie { 09.23.12 at 12:56 pm }

They could rename themselves Two Directions…

3 brain dead dave { 09.23.12 at 1:12 pm }

“Caplice has worked with Human Nature, Shannon Noll, Guy Sebastian and Jessica Mauboy”

The poor ba$tard.

That’s abetter name, Georgie

4 Georgie { 09.23.12 at 1:50 pm }

Thanks bdd. Guy (gag) Sebastian was in court on Friday after headbutting some poor bastard who was innocently trying to break into his house. The bloke said he was looking for the house of a friend who was having a party. It must have been a surprise party.

5 A.P { 09.23.12 at 2:04 pm }

I wonder if they will get booted out like Josh was?
At this rate, there won’t be any contestants left, they could go in the BB house, they would fit in well there.

6 edrem { 09.23.12 at 3:26 pm }

WAT are not only fake but mediocre.They are a 1D tribute band. Does the world really need another 1D? We didn’t need the original no-talent group whose popularity is fuelled by tasteless teenage girls enamored by their asexual non-threatening looks. Vote them off Australia and the Collective needs to go after them.

7 bella vita { 09.23.12 at 8:17 pm }

I can confirm your post is true RR

Caplice held auditions and put the call out earlier in the year to form a new boy band. He is very well respected in the industry

8 Ari { 09.23.12 at 8:57 pm }

Oh X-Factor and Channel 7…
Has there been a Today Tonight or an A Current Affair ‘story’ about this? Or is CH10 the only one taking the beating?

9 Culinary Boner { 09.24.12 at 9:10 am }

Given the way mediocrity rules supreme these days I’m thinking of getting into this music production caper meself and forming an boy band named after my favourite pick-up line – “How About It?”.

That’ll get the tweens in. Oh, and their mums.

10 Assailant { 09.26.12 at 9:09 pm }

I won’t bother getting into details, but I’ll say that this article is 100% true and almost everyone associated with the production and Sony are very much in on it. You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think such a thoroughly average band with zero chemistry weren’t shoehorned into the final 12 through producer intervention. Tonight’s elimination is the fruit of your labor, Sony & Seven.