The X Factor – Carmello Munzone Is Back

Mel B finally has a contestant she can win the under 25 boys section with. She brought back Carmello Munzone and admitted she made her decision based on what the social media were saying and he did not let her down with a good rendition of Everlasting Love. At least he has a strong voice with some range and some personality.

If she did not bring him back her other boy Jason may be eliminated tonight with his cowboy take on dance party. However he was better than last week and appears to have a strong voter base.

Highlights of the show were Nathaniel Williams with his funky rendition of a Jamiroquai hit, Fortunate and even the cheesy rendition of Footloose by The Collective.

Trent who is the lead singer of the group should be happy he was made part of the group as they look like they could win, however he would not have done as well as a solo singer.

Samantha Jade also did a good rendition of Free Falling, but she looked, sounded and moved like Kylie Minogue it will be interesting to see tonight if she managed to attract votes. It would be great if they got her moving around the stage more.

Nat B interpreted dance party song for Bella as picking a dance song and making it a quirky ballad. Her rendition of One Direction song that what makes you beautiful did not really fit in with the theme of the night, but also revealed what we can expect from the talented singer for the next few weeks.

Her other singer Shiane was given the same 60’s set up as the previous week, she was good but not great. She is too young for the show at the moment, and in a bid to not sexualise her (not that they should) they don’t have many options in regards to songs and choreography.

Angel was probably the most solid of her girls last night but she just doesn’t appear to have the charisma required to take it all the way.

Cowboy Justin Standley looked like he was going hit Bohemian Rhapsody out of the ball park, but it all fell apart in the first 30 seconds and became a train wreck. The other semi train wreck is What About Tonight, not only are they facing legal woes off screen their on screen vocals are not as strong as the other two groups. However the girls were screaming.

Who do you think will be bottom two tonight?

Considering I got it very wrong last week I will guess Jason and Justin again.

1 brain dead dave { 09.26.12 at 10:08 am }

Saloon passage to the bottom two for Justin and Bohemian Crapsody.

Both the boy bands are crap and $hiane just shouldn’t be there.

2 Reality Raver { 09.26.12 at 10:20 am }

Any highlights BDD? I ended up watching it late and FF through all the pre singing guff and it made the show go much quicker.

3 Bolders { 09.26.12 at 10:24 am }

I am sorry, I know I’ve posted this earlier, but I just can’t read or hear The Collective without thinking The Borg.
I just can’t.

4 brain dead dave { 09.26.12 at 10:32 am }

I only switched over after BB, RR . I saw the boy blands, Justin, Shamantha Jade , Carmelo and Shiane. A lot of this was over produced, you couldn’t always hear what the individuals were singing over the sonic schmaltz used to polish turds.

Samantha Xeroxed Kylie …it was boring.

Carmelo was the best of these. He’s got a great sounding voice,allowing for the technical problems the judges brought attention to.

What really annoyed me was Ronan bullshitting about the performers being in front of “millions” of viewers -more than once.

5 Bree { 09.26.12 at 11:02 am }

Mel B was so sassy last night! Loved the little (and not so little) digs she kept giving Nat Bass, who really made a bad call on Bella singing One Direction the way she did (what was Nat on??)

I think Bella or one of the country boys will be in the bottom two tonight (though judging from last weeks results it really could be anyone)

6 chasingvegas { 09.26.12 at 11:24 am }

Carmelo did a great job, I hope the X Factor voters get behind him. There were quite a few ‘wrong’ song choices last night, mostly from Nat’s team., Bella & Shiane were both terrible performances & Justin (cowboy) singing Bohemian Rhapsody was just embarrassing, oh and don’t even get me started on What About Tonight…..horrendous! Bottom 2 – Bella & Justin

7 chasingvegas { 09.26.12 at 11:44 am }

It’s unfortunate to say that perhaps each week a better act will go home due to those screaming tween girls who are happy vote for a novelty boy band that will never survive in the industry! It’s the one major flaw with the format & it’s target audience.

8 Ari { 09.26.12 at 11:47 am }

First time watching tonight.

Maybe Bella needs a new mentor. She looked disappointed. I quite like her. I mean, One Direction is ‘okay’. But really Nat Bass really?!

I only watched to see the Bohemian Rhapsody performance. Horrible. Absolutely horrible. I’m sorry to say. Embarrassing. It was all muddled up, the song’s story lost within the how many seconds they have to sing for. Bohemian Rhapsody is one of my favourite songs so you could imagine me buried in my hands going “NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOO”. The judges probably wanted to say something bad but they were probably more reserved. A more honest “never touch another Queen song ever again” would’ve sufficed. You either sing Bohemian Rhapsody in full or not. Sorry to say, Freddie Mercury was mad, his energy filled the stadium. Justin was too safe. HORRENDOUS choice for him. It’s like the judges just desperately wanted to do a Queen song and it was the perfect opportunity to do it.

“I Want to Break Free” or “We Will Rock You” would’ve been better. But “Bohemian Rhapsody”?! No. I’m sorry. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

9 Fiona { 09.26.12 at 12:02 pm }

Justin was awful – I can’t believe Guy gave him that song. Loved Nathaniel, that song was a perfect fit and he performed really well (except for the drum bit – Guy??)

Fourtunate were back to their solid best, and whilst I liked The Collective it was a bit manic for me – very frenzied but the girls like it so…

Hated Bella’s song, I know where Nat was going but she could have sung 99 Red Balloons which came to mind when I saw the set and she probably could have got that one over. Mel B was spoiling for a fight I think – she was very feisty. I could see she was so nervous for Carmelo while he was singing but he (sort of) pulled it off, hopefully he will get another chance.

Did not like Jason, awful song and he is not ready for skinny jeans yet by a long shot. Shiana is limited, I feel for her but she should be going soon. Hmm, tonight should be interesting.

10 Chunks { 09.26.12 at 12:14 pm }

The judges need to be sacked. The song choices are almost universally appalling and the arrangements drown out half of the singing. Mel B was extremely cranky – obviously feeling a bit of an underdog at the moment – and what were the producers doing showing that Bella sending up the Spice Girls. She’s just a kid and didn’t need to be ripped a new one on national TV like that, but it was hardly a surprise when Mel reacted. I predict that she will come to blows with Natalie before the season is out. Carmello? Hm, the Jamie Redfern of 2012…

11 brain dead dave { 09.26.12 at 12:26 pm }

Only one thing to do , Ari, when one of these vocal vandals butchers a favourite song. Get Freddie and play it til you forget about what happened last night.Works for me.

12 A.P { 09.26.12 at 1:53 pm }

Can’t stand all the girls screaming even when the contestants are being judged, so annoying!
I
don’t blame Mel for putting Bella back in her place, The Spice Girls were such a successful girl band, she knows what she’s talking about.
I wish they would stop murdering classic songs like Creedence, Rolling on the River, just sing them as they were meant to be for god’s sake!
The boys from “What About Tonight” didn’t sound all that great but perhaps the judges don’t hear all the mistakes over the incessant screaming from the girls, it really spoils the show for me.

13 Mia { 09.26.12 at 2:20 pm }

Nat Bass needs to go. God, even Kyle Sandilands made better song choices when he was a mentor on the show (when he could be bothered to turn up), which is really saying something. I’m not a fan of Bella, I find her pretty overrated, but I reckon she might have done a better job if they’d kept the uptempo version of the 1D song. She still could have done it in a whimsical, jazzy style. That slow arrangement version made it sound more suitable for a wake than a party. And as for Shiane’s Heard It Through The Grapevine, FFS Nat, she’s 14! How can an innocent little kid possibly begin to convey the kind of emotion a song like that requires? She showed no connection to the lyrics (most of which, as Guy pointed out, she couldn’t annunciate) whatsoever.

The country boys are pretty awful. Justin, in particular last night, was just embarrassing.

Despite the Kylie-clone performance, I really enjoyed Samantha. Thought she did a great job. Having said that, it was a dull sing and really didn’t do anything to showcase her vocal abilty.

Carmello deserves kudos for only having 2 days to learn his song. I thought he was a bit on the ‘cheesy lounge singer’ side of being a swing king though.

I’m still very suss that The Collective have been set up from the get go to win.

I;m enjoying the weekly Nat v. Mel bitchswiping. Nat’s a bit slow on the uptake, because if Mel had made the 75 million records sold dig at me, I’d have shot back “And how many millions of records did you sold as a solo artist, Mel?”. That’d shut her up.

14 Bolders { 09.26.12 at 2:27 pm }

Every band is manufactured one way or another: in some suburban garage or in a manager’s office. What’s the difference? Nobody except the Osmonds came out of their mother’s womb into a ready made band.
This gripe is all nonsense.

15 dmc { 09.26.12 at 3:37 pm }

Interesting that Guy said that they shouldn’t mess with a classic. He’s obviously only heard the Marvin Gaye version. The original was by Gladys Knight and Shiane’s was a copy of that. There was no messing at all.
Justin a complete balls up on every level. Karaoke at a gay cowboy bar.

16 brain dead dave { 09.26.12 at 3:49 pm }

Smokey Robinson recorded Grapevine before Gladys Knight, btw, though Shiane’s attempt I assume was based on the latter arrangement.

17 brain dead dave { 09.26.12 at 4:37 pm }

Addendum to that is the Robinson and Gaye recordings of Grapevine, both made before Gladys Knight’s were rejected by Motown and not released until later.

18 Chunks { 09.26.12 at 5:08 pm }

Samantha will probably be in the bottom two again because neither the tweens nor the mums like her and there aren’t enough gay guys watching, and probably Bella this time as well. Jason’s sob story will get him over the line. Double X chromosomes will be scarcer than hen’s teeth in a few weeks.

19 Culinary Boner { 09.26.12 at 7:49 pm }

But Bolders there’s ‘craft’ manufacturing by people who are into their ‘art’ . Or at least think they are. And then there’s cynical, low-quality but high production value mass production (that admittedly does add to popular culture, if not to music) by money-obsessed dickheads like Simon Cowell:
The Rolling Stones (or Beatles if you prefer pop) vs The Monkees (not saying the Monkees didn’t have some okay tunes, though*)
Black Sabbath vs The Sweet (Wig Wam Bam, man, coz Love is Like Oxygen)
Lynyrd Skynyrd vs The Bay City Rollers (a very unfair comparison, I admit)
XTC vs Adam Ant (actually the title of a spiffy little They Might be Giants song – “content versus form”)
Nirvana vs The Spice Girls
Public Enemy (or the Beastie Boys) vs Milli Vanilli

These two production systems used to be in balance. Often feeding off each other. Perhaps I’m just a grumpy old man who can’t appreciate gangsta rap or the latest electronica, but it seems the pre-conceived templated, mass produced shite is the main game nowadays.

20 Georgie { 09.26.12 at 8:08 pm }

I’m sitting here watching XF and thinking how it’s becoming more like Young Talent Time and then I see your comment CB (laptop on my lap).

What you’re talking about is a general lack of authenticity and substance coming out of the ‘TV production factory’.

21 Culinary Boner { 09.26.12 at 8:21 pm }

Yep, Georgie. Even the ‘mass-produced” bands I listed could actually make music in their own right (or eventually could, in the case of The Monkees, but clearly not in the case of Milli Vanilli).

Maybe Ikea needs to enter the music business?
At least ‘flat pack’ bands that can be assembled with an Allen key will save us all some money.

22 Culinary Boner { 09.26.12 at 9:13 pm }

Oh. What about this musical ‘showdown’?
Nat Bas vs Mel B
Who’d win most ‘manufactured’?
Sensational cheekbones aside, who’d come out on top musically?
Anyways, I’m putting my money on Guy Sebastian, who at his best – and I’ve actually seen him live – does a pretty damn good James Brown lite.

23 Dr T { 09.26.12 at 9:37 pm }

Are there any reality cooking on anymore?

24 Reality Raver { 09.26.12 at 9:46 pm }

Dr T – ABC 2 have a few shows worth watching at the moment. The Restaurant on at 6.00pm Wednesday nights (I keep on forgetting to tape it), and The Next Great Food Truck which has a catch up ep tonight at about 11.30pm I think but check your TV guide. If you have foxtel there is Masterchef UK.

25 VioletsRBlue { 09.26.12 at 10:54 pm }

Who left tonight? Did not get to watch today.

26 Reality Raver { 09.26.12 at 11:01 pm }

VioletsRBlue – What About Tonight were eliminated. The recap is up Nathaniel was the other one in the bottom two.

27 brain dead dave { 09.26.12 at 11:03 pm }

It was What About Tonight, VioletsRB. I didn’t watch either, I like Puberty Blues too much- so I settled for reading RR’s recap.

28 Ruby { 09.27.12 at 1:10 am }

Reckon WAT got the heave-ho due to their manager scandal – no way those little girls weren’t voting all night. Even if the Collective & WAT cancelled each other out there is NO WAY WAT got less votes than Justin & Jason. Justin was way too appalling – felt so sorry for him – he should never have been given that song. And what an awful butchered version it was, too. And judging from the boards, Bella ain’t too popular, either. Of course Carmelo was going to get thru. I really like the guy. Hilarious if he won (unattractive & gay – not exactly what the show’s about) – but you just KNOW that the Collective is going to win no matter who votes….there’s $$$ in those little tweenie screams & if a boy group is gonna win it’ll be the show’s own manufactured one. (Simon’s orders?)

29 Lily { 09.27.12 at 3:00 pm }