The X Factor – The Top Ten Sing Top Ten

Tonight it was top ten hits for the top ten to sing and as per usual there were highlights and lowlights.

But what all the judges must have been wondering was when is Justin Standley going to be eliminated. Nice guy but his karaoke schtick just is not going to make him The X Factor.

Justin was up first singing Some Nights by fun. Mel B thought it was his best performance so far.  Ronan said “said he has so much passion and energy”. Kudos has to be given to  Ronan for being able to still be diplomatic even if the performance does not have much razzle in it.

The Collective were singing New Kids On The Block, The Right Stuff, which then morphed into Billie Jean by Michael Jackson. It again showed they were ticking the boxes on the boy band check list.  Now What About Tonight are out of the way they just picked up a whole swag of voters.

Angel Tupai played the piano whilst performing Next To Me by Emili Sande. It ended up being a distraction for her and her vocals suffered a bit. Also all the vocal tangents were too much.  However some voters love the singing theatrics and it does bring in votes.

Carmello was singing What Do Ya Want From Me by Adam Lambert. Strange song choice and it meant he tanked.  He will be struggling to stay out of the bottom two tomorrow.  Ronan did the “How did it feel for you?”, which is always code for “that was not good”. He also thought Carmello was not stepping up to the plate and Mel B gave him a thwack about him needing to focus. She was looking worried she might be losing another of her team.

Samantha Jade sang Everytime by Britney Spears. Her lower notes were a bit dodgy and some of her high notes were hard on the ears. Maybe she was bringing her vocals down to Britney’s level. As Ronan Keating said “You oversung it”.

Bella Ferraro sang Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell. It was a poppy little rendition and she put on some dance moves. She appeared to get a bit breathless towards the end of the song. The judges loved her voice, yes there were some beautiful moments but there were also some shaky bits. However they have to pimp her as she one of the few who has the potential to be a pop star. Also she is claiming in this week’s TV Week that she is being bullied by women over forty. So I will refrain from suggesting that her dress just needed a little bit longer.

Jason sang “Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing” by Aerosmith and it was one of his stronger performances. He could end up being Mel B’s last man standing something no one would have expected. He appears to have a solid fan base so should be safe this week.

Nathaniel Willemse sang Try A Little Tenderness by Otis Redding. It was a lovely rendition, however last week he was one of the stronger performers and he still landed in the bottom two. He does need points deducted for the crotch droop on the green jeans.

Shiane Hawke sang Christina Aguilera’s Beautiful. Hers was definitely one of the strongest vocals of the night, however it is still like a little girl standing on stage singing. It was interesting to hear she had some issues with speech articulation when she was younger and this explains why her pronunciation is not great at times.

Last but not least was Fortunate who showed The Collective they are not the only boy band in town. Their performance of Dedication To My Ex by Lloyd was probably the best performance of the night. Their moves were fantastic and the vocals matched.

My guess for bottom two this week are Carmello and Samantha Jade.

Who did you like tonight? And who do you think will be in the bottom two?

1 A.P { 10.02.12 at 8:37 am }

I agree, Samantha Jade , Carmello and maybe Angel for the bottom two
I still think “The Collective” will win ,they were the best last night. Fortunate were also very good too, none of the others are really appealing to me but I didn’t mind “Big Yellow Taxi” either by Bella but only because I like that song and hadn’t heard it for a while.

2 Bolders { 10.02.12 at 9:02 am }

Fortunate were fantastic but they seemed to be let down by the cameras and the other dancers who respectively, didn’t catch them properly as they moved forward and obstructed them when they were at the back. Note to whoever stages these things – when a group has a lot of dancing in their routine, you dont need to add another 20 dances who just end up getting in the way.

3 Fiona { 10.02.12 at 10:45 am }

I agree – I missed the first part of Fourtunate’s song because the camera lingered over the dancers for so long. They were very good though, I like them. Also The Collective – very slick and solid, these two bands are the frontrunners. Didn’t much like anyone else, even Nathaniel overdid it and oversang, didn’t recognise Samantha Jayde’s song which is probably not a good sign. I though Shiane was the best so far, far fewer weird notes but she still looks scared to death half the time, I don’t see why Ronan calls that endearing and then slams Carmelo for the same thing (who was pretty bad by the way). Carmelo should be in the bottom two but I don’t trust not to vote the underdog in a warped sort of way. Mel is now relying on Jason, who was better than last week but still out of his depth. It is such a lottery as to who will go home I cannot predict, only wait and see …

4 brain dead dave { 10.02.12 at 10:55 am }

It’s a miracle that the producers of this aural garbage have not yet died of shame.

Also cringeworthy is how the acts try to sing and dance like Americans. Put a baseball cap on it…it’s still crap. We already have X factor from America.

5 Izobel2 { 10.02.12 at 2:11 pm }

Agree with everyone, Fortunate were great last night. They make dancing and singing at the same time look easy, when some of the others totally struggle with it.

And NKOTB The Right Stuff, ah takes me back to good old ’89. Gotta love the early teenage years.
Bottom 2? Samantha & Carmelo maybe.

6 Chunks { 10.02.12 at 2:13 pm }

I must have been sleeping when most of those songs were hits. I’m not even going to try to predict who will end up in the bottom two after my previous failed attempts but thought that both the boy bands were great and that Jason looked like he was having a great time. Everything is so overproduced that I wonder if they aren’t trying to distract us from the singing. It’s supposed to be about the contestants, not a hundred bloody dancers and drummers and OTT costumes and lighting.

7 brain dead dave { 10.02.12 at 2:46 pm }

They absolutely are trying to distract the audience from the alleged singing.
The production and choreography is top quality…just walk out of the room and savour the absolute mediocrity of these deluded fools without the bells and whistles.

8 Georgie { 10.02.12 at 9:49 pm }

Well they got one of the bottom two right. I laughed when Ronan said that was the best sing-off in three years of XF. Sorry what – I thought the first year didn’t really happen!