Beauty And The Geek Is Back This Thursday On SEVEN

Beauty And The Geek the show I always think I will hate but love is back this Thursday on Seven at 8.30pm.

The premise of the show is each geek is lined up with a beauty and they compete in challenges each week to be the last team standing to win $100,000. The beauty’s aim to teach the geek’s how to be non-geeky and the geeks try and impart knowledge to the beauties.

This year the show has changed production companies from Southern Star to Shine Australia so it will be interesting see if there are any changes to the format.

The show is again hosted by Bernard Curry who has been finding some success overseas.

This year the big twist is a secret millionaire geek in the house which seems to be the trend on reality shows this year. George was the secret millionaire on Big Brother.

The cast is:

• Jack 23 – who is described as an internet entrepreneur looks like he could be the millionaire but I suspect he is more a paper millionaire. Anyone lost money on the tech bubble in the early 200o’s will know how spurious these things are;
  • Yiran 19 – Part time medical student and part-time badminton coach;
  • Dane 19 – Health Science student;
  • Nathan 25 – Computer Programmer
  • Jason 23 – Unemployed town planner
  • Matt 19 – Psychology student
  • Oliver 22 – Legal aide – I am presuming that is working there not currently accessing it;
  • Rich 24 – Aerospace engineering student;
  • Cody 19 – Online community manager;
  • Chard 22 – Biomedical student.

The beauties are:

• Courtney 19 – a former receptionist – which must be code for currently unemployed;
  • Nikki 23 – Nanny
  • Alin 19 – Events host;
  • Greta 22 – Unemployed beauty therapist;
  • Chontelle 18 – Special effects make-up student;
  • Jessica 24 – Former flight attendant but she was a building surveyor prior to that;
  • Bre 18 – a retail assistant;
  • Kristy 23 – Window dresser;
  • Kim 21 – Unemployed;
  • Millie 18 – Retail assistance.

Last season was a cracker as Jordan and Lachlan hooked up, unfortunately they have now split, Jimmy kept the wise cracks coming and Gilbert unexpectedly revealed six pack.

Hopefully SEVEN will be able get the formula right again this year and it will continue to be an entertaining show.

And yes there will be recaps. For more information about the contestants go to the official website here.

Beauty and The Geek starts on SEVEN on Thursday 4 October at 8.30pm.

1 Culinary Boner { 10.02.12 at 2:44 pm }

That’s a fair number of unemployed “Beauties”, Raver.
Surely the Geeks came on this show in order to escape having to “shake hands with the unemployed”?

2 Morgan { 10.02.12 at 2:46 pm }

Haha can’t wait, I’ll be tuning in for sure!

3 brain dead dave { 10.02.12 at 3:13 pm }

These geeks can find a square root no risk -but that’s where their skillz end. They are literally wankers, as Boner has pointed out.

The sheer awkwardness of the guys guarantees train wrecks in excelsis.

4 JK { 10.02.12 at 3:23 pm }

That Nathan guy 25 – Computer Programmer, I’ve seen him on the interwebs with some business he started, I suspect that he is the millionare? If only I remembered his last name, he can be googled.

The first season has been the best season by far!

5 Sharon @ Funken Wagnel { 10.02.12 at 3:26 pm }

I’ve never watched this show before, but of course heard about it. Thinking about giving it a go this time around

6 Georgie { 10.02.12 at 3:45 pm }

I wonder how you can manage to be a “former flight attendant and a building surveyor before that” – all by age 24? She can’t have sqeezed in much acutal work in either industry, in that time.

7 A.P { 10.02.12 at 3:59 pm }

I’m not sure if I can give this show another go this year, its so stupid and so fake, but then, what do I know, I’m stupid enough to watch Big Brother which I prefer.
Roll on Survivor!

8 Georgie { 10.02.12 at 5:22 pm }

A.P I think Big Fat Gypsy Weddings should be worth a look. Starts tomorrow night on Ch9.

9 Reality Raver { 10.02.12 at 5:33 pm }

Georgie and AP I will look forward to hearing what you think of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

10 A.P { 10.02.12 at 6:16 pm }

RR and Georgie, I’ve already seen two series of My Big Fat Gypsy Weddings on Austar, its compelling viewing!!!
Sometimes the Irish accents are difficult to understand though.

11 Moo { 10.02.12 at 6:30 pm }

Culinary Boner: You might want to take another look at the geeks’ professions. All of them but three are unemployed, unless you’re deluded enough to consider “student” a profession.

I’ve also never heard of “online community manager” as a profession before. I’m presuming that’s a fancy codeword for “forum moderator,” i.e., unemployed as well.

What a sad bunch we have here.

12 Morgan { 10.02.12 at 7:50 pm }

MBFGW has already been running on Lifestyle YOU for a while, they’re already into the second season. It’s a great show and it’s very interesting to see the Gypsy lifestyle.

13 Sylvia { 10.02.12 at 8:57 pm }

Gus? Are you perhaps thinking of Gilbert?

14 Reality Raver { 10.02.12 at 9:00 pm }

Sylvia – Oh God you are right Gilbert. I was so enamoured by his abs he made my mind go blank!

15 Stacey { 10.03.12 at 10:34 am }

I’m excited for this. Its definately one of the better locally made reality shows

16 Culinary Boner { 10.03.12 at 11:05 am }

Seems you’re right Moo.
But in the geeks defence at least they have hobbies.
Well… beyond spray tanning, hair flicking and beard stroking at least.

17 Dr T { 10.03.12 at 2:38 pm }

Looking forward to this again, but the geeks sound more like nerds… I think to be a geek (such as I) you have to have some level of academic success. Does anyone remember Thomas, the really ackward student nurse from last year with the awful dancing and Hawaiian shirts? (Now before Paul starts up, I too own a number of Hawaiian shirts, which in my wifes’ opinion, are awful… I think any decent human being would probably take her side over mine)

I miss guys like Toby(?) – the law student from Qld. And the Xenogene cameos in Season 2 were excellent.

I just wish the elimination quizzes were a bit better then what they are

18 Culinary Boner { 10.03.12 at 2:55 pm }

Agree with your two observations, Dr T – Xenogene (a deadset legend) and the lameness of the eliminations.

Maybe next year they can run Beauty & the Geek Allstars and bring back Xenogene?

The man had both wit and style. BATG’s answer to Bond… (James, not Alan, thankfully) http://images.smh.com.au/ftsmh/ffximage/2009/10/07/beauty_geek_narrowweb__300x451,0.jpg

I am currently wearing a Hawaiian shirt so I take your side over your wife’s. Mrs Boner just raises her eyebrows when they emerge out of the closet once winter’s done and dusted.

19 Culinary Boner { 10.03.12 at 3:06 pm }
20 Culinary Boner { 10.04.12 at 2:05 pm }

Has anyone told the geeks – especially the more hirsute specimens – that they could be mistaken for hipsters?
Yeah boys.
Just keep wearing what you’re wearing.
But learn to speak pop culture gibberish.
Or failing that, just hang out in a place like this – http://barzine.com.au/pocket-bar-darlinghurst.html .
Don’t under any circumstances mention “science”, you’ll blow your cover.
Play it cool and bob’s yer uncle, you’re on your way to getting laid.
Especially if you are a comic book nerd, but can pretend you only read shit like The Hulk “ironically”.
Note also that comparing the little known She-Hulk comic series – http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/2563_4_01.jpg
to a Tolstoy novel will probably get you laid THAT VERY NIGHT.
Just don’t have too many bacon Martinis or you’ll blow your cover (and your wallet… oh, and your intestines).
Oh, and do show some social sensitivity (and self-preservation). Don’t start rambling about She-Hulk to just any old girl, especially if she’s bit chunky, wearing overalls and proudly sporting the hairstyle of a British soccer hooligan.
You’ll also need to get across the latest in hipster music.
Here’s a good starting point –
Just remember that at the end of the day, even the most pretentious hipster chick has got to be much, much more interesting than a bleached, spray-tanned beautician with a shoe buying habit.
Hell, you might even encounter pubic hair. (Now that’ll make you a “real man”!).

21 Marie { 10.05.12 at 1:19 am }

My housemate and I took all of about three seconds before we picked Rich out as the hot geek. He reminds me of Henry Cavill. The editing of the show makes the challenge winners predictable but it is good mindless tv to watch after a long day.

22 Culinary Boner { 10.05.12 at 10:02 am }

While not outstanding, last night’s carefully stage-managed episode ticked all the boxes and cliches – especially the Benny Hillesque swingin’ spa scene – except one.

Where is the Dudley “Booger” Dawson geek character??? –

And why no Lamar Latrell type in hotpants?

23 Georgie { 10.05.12 at 10:31 am }

CB I think the producers are cheating because according to this information, a geek isn’t socially inept. To make it really interesting it should have been Beauty and the Dweeb.

24 Culinary Boner { 10.05.12 at 10:38 am }

Thanks Georgie.
That’s a pretty nifty (and accurate) chart.
I wonder where hipsters would fit?

25 Georgie { 10.05.12 at 12:51 pm }

CB – I think hipsters just imitate past fringe movements without analysing or comprehending what was behind the original consciousness they evolved from.

I guess you could have a hipster geek or a hipster nerd etc. but I doubt the geek, nerd type would be hip enough to do that.

26 brain dead dave { 10.06.12 at 9:19 pm }

It’s a fascinating discourse on the clarification of terms from Georgie and Boner.
Having just re-read the novel Puberty Blues, I was interested to observe the Aussie spelling of the word as “nurd” describing more or less those teenagers that don’t surf, smoke dope, drink Brandovino or start rooting at thirteen or so. Fabulous book, took me right back to the wonderful 70’s.

27 Georgie { 10.06.12 at 9:38 pm }

bdd, the link I added above also says that ‘nerd’ was a term coined by Dr Seuss in 1954. My take on it would be, the Aus version was probably crossed with ‘turd’ just to make it more colloquially meaningful.

28 brain dead dave { 10.06.12 at 9:50 pm }

I’ll buy that ,Georgie. I first encountered the word “geek” in a Bob Dylan song, Ballad Of A Thin Man circa 1965.

I read your link. Sometimes I’m wary of Boner’s links ,since they can contain disturbing images….(Ajay, for example)

29 Georgie { 10.06.12 at 10:07 pm }

Yes I know the Bob Dylan song well bdd and have it on my double Budokan album, which I play frequently. One of my pet sayings is “oh my God am I here all alone”, because sometimes I feel like I’m surrounded by people who just don’t get it.

30 Stacey { 10.06.12 at 11:20 pm }

CB – I can just imagine you and Ajay together, you wearing your Hawaiian shirt, of course. What a pair.