The Amazing Race USA – From Shanghai To Surabaya And It Was All Up To The Taxi Drivers

Last night’s episode saw the teams fly from China to Surabaya, Indonesia. The monster truck team showed they were not going to be a force to reckon with when they decided to go via Hong Kong and have a four hour stop over. Though they may have thought the chances of Garuda running on time were slim.

Lucky for them when they arrived at the next clue it did not start until 8.00am the next day. The challenges on this leg were fairly pedestrian and really did not see the order of the teams mix up. What did affect the team positions were the usual dodgy taxi drivers, with a few teams getting very lost indeed.

Loving the the self annointed “bad ass” Sri Lankan girls Natalia and Nadiya who are over coming lack of physical strength with an aggressive racing as well as a cracking sense of humour. Though can see that they could become annoying.

They came in first to the pitstop and threw their fish smelling bodies on Phil Keoghan and they ended up winning the express pass which allows them at one stage to skip a challenge and go straight to the following one.

In the end on and off dating couple Daniel and Amy were eliminated because of a shocking taxi driver, they were shattered. What was interesting that she is a double amputee and if you had not been shown or told the viewer would have been none the wiser.

The team that surely must be eliminated soon is the gay substitute teachers they are giving new meaning to being completely inept. Though they do make interesting viewing.

Here is an exit interview with Amy and Daniel where they talk about how there was nothing they could really do to change the way their leg panned out.

1 Culinary Boner { 10.16.12 at 12:23 pm }

“They came in first to the pitstop and threw their fish smelling bodies on Phil Keoghan” – hey Raver. Have you handed the site over to Peter Slipper today?

I unfortunately didn’t get to watch this, so you may need to explain just how these lasses ended up smelling of fish. Hopefully no mussels were hurt in the process.

2 LB { 10.16.12 at 3:01 pm }

The monster truck driver, male, was a disgrace. The way he spoke to his (hopelessly lost) taxi driver made me want to reach through the TV & throttle him. Guess that is what you get from monster truck drivers.

Natalya & Nadia were fun – but I think that that had more to do with them being the only ones with any personality and a vocabulary that goes beyond “good job, babe” & “you got it, babe”.

The teachers have to go next. Have never seen someone handle balloons so badly & get into such a tizz about it. If my kid had been on that ride he was pedaling I would have got them out of there quick smart. Both of the teachers looked like they were about to go postal.

3 Sioux Denim { 10.17.12 at 12:51 am }

Really disappointed for Amy & Daniel – just goes to show what a bad driver can do for you …..

Think those twins are gonna get a little grating as the show goes on – man, they are up themselves – hee hee

What was with that bull ride? I though the motorbikes had to beat the bull but all they did was race along side them – pretty ordinary really for TAR standards – they should have had the contestants on that bull – hahahahaha – few bumps & brusies I would imagine!

4 AJ { 10.17.12 at 10:36 am }

Gay substitute teachers? Or gay farmers? Or gay Chippendale?

I know the Beekman boys are gay (their reality series was great) and one of the Chippendales is gay, but are the substitute teachers also gay? Or does “gay = gross/lame” in this context?

I was disappointed to see Amy and Daniel go home. I would have MUCH preferred to see the Monster Truckers go home. Or the substitute teachers. Or one of the bland “dating” couples which are virtually indistinguishable on these reality shows.

5 Janenowdaisy { 11.10.12 at 2:13 pm }

I think those Sri Lankan girls calling the beggars they come across on the race “their home boys” is ridiculous. I have spent a lot of time travelling in Sri Lanka AND India and one thing you don’t see is the middle class or wealthy Sri Lankans (or Indians) mingling with the beggars as if they are their “home- boys”. They are mostly ignored ir shooed away. As with most countries the rich and poor don’t generally buddy up the way the Sri Lankan girl was almost implying, although what she was probably meaning was that they were accustomed to seeing beggars and wouldn’t be daunted by them. I noticed this week (and these posts seem to be a week behind for some reason) that during the building of the scale, one of Sri Lankan girls “charmingly” enlisted the supprt of a little urchin to cheer her sister but when the task was done she physically brushed him aside. It was actually a bit of a shove. Did anyone else notice that.
I’m not having a go at wealthy Sri lankans or Indians. it’s human nature pretty much all over the world …birds of a feather.

6 Janenowdaisy { 11.10.12 at 2:16 pm }

Also can anyone tell me if there is a more up-to-date page for Amzing Race.

7 Carole { 11.14.12 at 10:06 am }

The American site Entertainment Weekly does recaps of Amazing Race as well as other shows.

8 Janenowdaisy { 11.14.12 at 12:33 pm }

Aaaaaaa!!!!!! Just watched this weeks AR. Am not saying much as blog hasn’t happened but what conscience??????????????????????

9 Janenowdaisy { 11.14.12 at 12:34 pm }

AP I bet you didn’t raise your kids that way!!!!!!!!!

10 Janenowdaisy { 11.14.12 at 12:39 pm }

Reeeeeeaaaly? Does ANYTHING really “go because it’s a game?” Doesn’t good sportsmanship have a place in reality comps? It would be nice if it could be as much of an advantage as lying, stealing and conniving.

11 Reality Raver { 11.14.12 at 1:37 pm }

Janenowdaisy – I think I know what you are talking about I am writing about it now, I meant to put something up yesterday but forgot.

12 A.P { 11.14.12 at 1:46 pm }

Daisy @9, I don’t watch this show but I’m sure you are right!

13 Janenowdaisy { 11.14.12 at 7:45 pm }

RR@12 I can’t wait to read your take on it.
AP If you get a chance watch it. And did those girls know the “rockers” dad has cancer. That just makes it worse.