The Great Australian Bake Off – Cast Announced

The 2013 reality TV year is going to have a lot of cooking shows, some will work others may not. One show that looks interesting is The Great Australian Bake Off, a show to find Australia’s best baker. This is a format from the UK which rated very well there.

However one of the issues they will face is trying to get the male viewer to watch cupcakes being decorated and scones being baked.

They seemed to be trying to get around this with their casting which has now been announced.

Shane Jacobson and Anna Gare have been named as hosts. Shane who is an actor best known for his role in Kenny and on Top Gear, and let’s face it is a bit of a man’s man. He must be there to try and lure the male viewer. To be honest I don’t know his work so he could be a nice surprise on screen as was Keith Urban this year in The Voice.

Anna Gare was last seen on Junior Masterchef will be a popular choice as she is easy on the eye as well as being seen as being nice.

The two judges are Australian expats Dan Lepard and Kerry Vincent who will be fresh faces on our screens.

Dan Lepard is the Australian baker based in the UK. He is the baking correspondent for The Guardian and The Observer, author of best-selling baking bibles such as Short and Sweet and The Handmade Loaf.

Kerry Vincent who is known for her work in the wedding cake industry in the USA and is nicknamed “the Simon Cowell of Cake” in her role as judge on American television’s Food Network. Is she going to be the hard-arsed judge?

Kerry, founder of the Grand National Wedding Cake Competition and co-founder of the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show. She grew up on a farm in Western Australia and won her first Country Women’s Association baking competition at the age of eight. She moved to Tulsa when she married an Oklahoma engineer 38 years ago.

Production on the new series will commence mid-November in the gardens of historic Werribee Park Mansion in Victoria. Expect to see The Great Australian Bake Off on NINE early in 2013.

Will you be watching this show? What do you think of the casting?

1 Georgie { 10.19.12 at 11:04 am }

I think this sounds like it would be enjoyable but when I see:
“Expect to see The Great Australian Bake Off on NINE early in 2013.”, I’m concerned of a potential clash with MKR! Just like TEN’s announcement about Masterchef Professionals starting around this time.

2 Culinary Boner { 10.19.12 at 11:15 am }

Gee. Such novel casting.
A fugly fat guy and trim, good-looking woman.
I thought they saved that combo for the news desk.
That said Anna’s sensational cheekbones, dimples and sparkling eyes will probably get me watching the first episode at least. As long as we don’t have to see Shane’s cheeks or plumber’s crack as he’s pulling some scones out of the oven.

3 brain dead dave { 10.19.12 at 11:40 am }

Shane Jacobson looks like a guy who knows a bit about squeezing out loaves.

4 Tyler { 10.19.12 at 12:25 pm }

Pretty stoked for this. The Facebook page says that it starts in early 2013: facebook.com/BakeOffAU

5 A.P { 10.19.12 at 1:26 pm }

I’ll have a look at this show but I wasn’t really keen on Anna in Junior Masterchef, everytime she tasted something she just had an ecstatic look on her face like it was the best thing she’d ever tasted in her life, and looking and smiling at the same time at the kid who’d made it.
It was just like being on play school , overdone and just irritating.
I guess she might be a bit different with adults though.

6 Morgan { 10.19.12 at 5:35 pm }

I’ll definitely give this a watch, but it all really comes down to the people they cast. If it’s filled with Julie Goodwin (who Channel 9 loves) wannabes I’ll change the channel.

I’m with Georgie, I’m hoping there isn’t going to be a three-way clash with this show, MKR and MCProfessionals. Seeing that MKR screens Sunday to Thursday, perhaps it would be wise of Ch9 and Ten to let their shows screen just weekly.

7 JK { 10.22.12 at 11:18 am }

Not really a fan of Anna, she just screams out that cruskits ad.

8 ergonomic eggplant { 11.13.12 at 8:39 pm }

should be o.k, why tho all of this reality crap, when in reality, its not real at all, im a baker by trade, its taken me 25 years to be a professional, how to become an overnight professional??? Go on a tv show???? I think not! Makes an absolute mockery of the hard earnt success stories, the money put into production could have been better spent finding a cure for cancer, now theres the real heros of this world. Xo

9 Dr T { 11.13.12 at 9:07 pm }

Look EE… you should gang up with the butcher and the candlestick maker and hunt these bastards down…

I do like your idea of putting the money to cancer research – throw a few dollars my way! (I can forward my budget and funding requirements if required)

10 Dr T { 11.13.12 at 9:09 pm }

PS I am yet to be described as a hero, although I am incredibly modest