Jessica Mauboy Says The X Factor Is Rigged – She Is Wrong And She Is Right

Jessica Mauboy and Stan Walker are clearly fans of Fourtunate on The X Factor as they seemed a tad peeved when they were eliminated last night.

She tweeted –

“My goodness WHAT A RIGGED SHOW #XFACTORAU IS!!!!” and  “Can’t believe they just kicked off @fourtnate11 ;(“.

Stan Walker also got in on the acts tweeting “#xfactorau that is a load of crap… THIS IS RIGGED maaaan… Fourtunate r the best 4 realz. Oh thats stupid. Oh Lord u need 2 intervene.. “. (Source: News.com.au)

In a sense she is wrong and right.

Firstly the voting system would stand up to scrutiny so the bottom two would be the two that have the lowest amount of votes so in that sense she is wrong. Also the people that are most like to vote for Fourtunate would also be more likely to vote for The Collective so they are splitting the vote.

However there are ways a format can be manipulated to influence who we vote for something she may have benefited from her time on Australian Idol.

The performer more likely to be get lower votes if you perform first few spots and there is not a random draw for who sings where it is decided by producers. Just going off memory I don’t think Bella or The Collective have ever sung first this series. I could be wrong and if I have time later I will try and see who has received that spot this year.

It is not a death knell, Jason had it and was safe.

The rationale for this spot getting less votes comes down to the fact some people miss the start of shows, either other ones are running late or they are stilling eating dinner  or may have forgotten about the earlier performances by the time they get to the end of the show.

The other issue that sways votes is the publicity that they can attract. All acts do not get the same publicity, groups have  harder time making an emotional connection with an audience as we don’t know their  individual stories as well. Traditionally they have received less media chatter than the single performers. This is different this year as The Collective have been getting a load of press and coverage but this has put Fourtunate in their slipstream.

Finally the judges by the feedback they give can sway how the viewer at home votes, particularly if they like or respect one judge over another. Also the judges in The X Factor actually do get to choose who goes once they are in the bottom two and at this stage of the competition they may not be judging it on their sing for their lives songs. Other factors hold sway they may think that performer might be a threat to their winning or they just don’t think they have any longevity in the music industry.

In a sense it is not rigging it is just the format that each of these shows have all have their advantages and disadvantages. What the viewer has to hope for is the talent does make it to the end. Some years they do others they don’t.

1 brain dead dave { 10.24.12 at 4:40 pm }

Jessica Mauboy and Stan Wanker -both rubbish. Not surprising that they rate the appalling Fourtunate.

2 bron { 10.24.12 at 4:58 pm }

4realz

3 Anonymous { 10.24.12 at 5:26 pm }

I actually thought Fortunate is one that has the X Factor. For once I agreed with Ronan, this show is not just about your voice….its that “X” factor and I jsut cant see how Bella can survive this long. She is just boring ….Like I posted in the past…this show is produced …I wont be surprise if she made it two the final two..

4 Culinary Boner { 10.24.12 at 5:42 pm }

I consider myself fourtunate…. that I don’t watch this show.

When do these lame “reality” music comps end, Raver?

Hopefully, some good stuff is just around the corner – but not on at frigging 10.30pm.

5 Stacey { 10.24.12 at 5:48 pm }

The judges have all said that Bella peaked too early – basically at her audition. She hasn’t been able to recapture that since. They said Fortunate were consistent. Yet they were eliminated. Where is the logic in that!

6 Georgie { 10.24.12 at 5:51 pm }

I’m with you CB – very lean or late pickings. Robson Green’s ‘fish-alogue’ is on One twice a week and it’s good value – he’s really funny.

7 Trent { 10.25.12 at 10:05 am }

I would say that the production is very rigged i think some changes need to be made.

I think the order in which the performers perform need to be put down to luck or fate not be decided by the producers.
I think pull the order out of a hat on camera for the following week.
The producers know exactly what they are doing, and if i was a contestant constantly having to perform at the start of every show i would not be happy.

Also go back to the old school way of sending home the contestant who actually gets the least votes. I refuse to vote in this show because the judging is down to personal views on the contestants not talent, And it seems every year guy puts one of his Buddies through (Mahogany) a couple of years ago, And this year Samantha Jade (Although i definately think Samantha is amazing, the best contestant left and does deserve her spot)

One last thing let the Contestant choose their own song, consistently the quality performances are on the sing for your life and not on the ridiculous song choices the judges make for their contestant.

Also it is in no way “Sing for your life” the judges have already decided who goes home before they start.

8 Roo { 10.25.12 at 12:38 pm }

Interesting what you say about the performance order. It is interesting to note that in 57 Eurovision song contests, song number 2 has never won. The magic number for winning Eurovision seems to be 15-20. It is interesting to see how performance order affects the voting on X factor, though we never see how many votes each contestant actually receives, we just know who is in the bottom 2, and each week it seems to be different, so obviously there are various factors in play.

I am a nerd I know.

9 Culinary Boner { 10.25.12 at 4:12 pm }

Interesting stats Roo.
Does this explain how Lordi – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NG3bzjVz_A – won Eurovision in 2006?
Because, otherwise, I’m at a loss.

10 The X Factor – Bella Ferraro Gets More Publicity | reality ravings { 10.28.12 at 2:08 pm }

[…] Last week there was the controversy of Jessica Mauboy saying The X Factor was rigged. As I wrote at the time the show is  and it isn’t, but there are ways of influencing the […]

11 Roo { 10.30.12 at 3:57 pm }

Hey Culinary Boner (love your name). Lordi won because they were awesome! Your clip from youtube if of Lordi performing several songs to be selected for their Eurovision participation, in the actual contest Lordi appeared as the 17th act out of 25 finalists as did this years winner, Loreen from Sweden.

With Eurovisions scoreboard showing how many points each act got and what countries those points came from, their is an absolute wealth of data on how performance order affects voting patterns, as well as the geo-political patterns that form. Scandinavian countries dominate the contest, yet Norway and Finland have the record for coming last the most times.

With Idol and X factor, we do not know who is leading the votes each week, just who came in the bottom 2. So we can only speculate but my guess is that Fortunate and the Collective are splitting the votes, and the Collective are getting nowhere near as many points as we think. Bella is probably just hovering around the bottom, but out of the danger zone, finally appearing there last week. My guess is that Jason Owen is probably leading the votes but will get pipped at the post by one of the other acts.

12 Jenny { 11.20.12 at 10:34 pm }

Of course XFactor is rigged! The format of “public voting” is dead. You can buy Facebook votes online $100 for 1,000 votes, there are people who make their livelihood out of fake Facebook profiles through fake ‘Likes’ and votes. And there is still fully ‘legitimate’ way of sending 1,000’s of SMS votes @55 cents a vote. The show producers cannot validate every single vote they receive through Facebook.

I have been in an online Facebook voting competition once and saw with my own eyes how just hours before the competition ended one of the contestants was getting thousands of votes at the speed 40 votes/minute in the middle of the night (when everyone is sleeping and no one’s monitoring). I complained to organizers that the votes were most likely purchased, as it’s inhuman constant speed of voting when real people are sleeping was the obvious sign of cheating, but they said they had no sufficient evidence of cheating and pronounced the cheater the winner!

I was feeling so stupid for even trying, it’s not even worth it asking your friends and family to vote for you, the one who BUYS the votes will always win! Trust me.

And if you want to win any contest with ‘public voting’, just buy votes, so much simpler.

13 A.P { 11.20.12 at 10:52 pm }

Jenny, that’s probably how Ben won Big Brother!
There should be another way of determining a winner so cheats don’t win. I won’t be wasting my money ever again on these types of shows.