Masterchef Professionals And My Kitchen Rules Will Go Head To Head

Masterchef: The Professionals and My Kitchen Rules looks like they will be cannibalising each others audiences by going head to head at the start of the ratings year.

The English and the French will again go to battle with Marco versus Manu. Who will win?

What we have seen in the past with The Block v The Renovators, and The Biggest Loser v Excess Baggage is that there is normally one loser.

Hopefully this won’t occur in this case as they are both high quality reality TV shows with great casts which deserve a large audience. I expect fans won’t be happy that they will have to pick and choose and expect recording devices to be working overtime.

News.com.au is saying TEN wants to launch their year strong start to the year this means it will commence at the same time as My Kitchen Rules which traditionally kicks off the start of the ratings year for SEVEN.

Masterchef: The Professionals starts filming in Melbourne next month and TEN will hope the star power of Marco Pierre White and Matt Preston will ensure people will watch. They should have great chemistry between them.

There will be eighteen professional chefs battling it out a prize that includes a round-the-world trip to apprentice at leading international restaurants.

My Kitchen Rules which will be running five nights a week from Sunday to Thursday next year with judges Manu Feildel, Pete Evans and now new bad boy chef Colin Fassinidge joining the team.

News.com.au also states that TEN has not released its exact programming however Masterchef: The Professionals could screen on Sunday night or they suggest it might be paired weeknights with weight loss show The Biggest Loser: The Next Generation.

If you have to choose which one will you be watching?

1 A.P { 10.29.12 at 3:20 pm }

I couldn’t really choose as I like them both and its a shame if they put them up at the same time.
Probably I would watch My Kitchen Rules as its been a while since we’ve seen it and I like the concept of the Restaurants in their homes and amateurs cooking, but I would just record the other and watch it later.
I don’t see how ratings can be accurate these days as most people would record shows now as we can’t watch everything at once.

2 TickledPink { 10.29.12 at 3:22 pm }

Definitely be watching MKR!

3 Culinary Boner { 10.29.12 at 3:28 pm }

I’ll be watching the one that goes the least nights a week for the very reason that I’d prefer not to be bored shitless watching the same people do virtually the same thing every effing night of the week.

4 Mia { 10.29.12 at 3:41 pm }

It’ll be Team MKR in our household.
Hope the casting is as good as previous seasons.

5 Stacey { 10.29.12 at 4:05 pm }

Yep Ill be def watching MKR I’m a bit over Masterchef!

6 Daze { 10.29.12 at 5:25 pm }

Probably will watch both – eek, what were they thinking butting heads with the 2 shows vying against each other. Veerrrry interesting! Let’s hope its rigi-dij and not rigi-rigged (bdd sos with spelling, lol)

7 Suziekue { 10.29.12 at 5:52 pm }

Most of the realityshows that have a “professional” version seem to be less interesting than those using amateurs. On that basis, if I have to choose, then it would be MKR. But I’ll give both a look in, and then choose. Then again, if they alternate their ad breaks, maybe I can watch both at the same time :)

8 Georgie { 10.29.12 at 6:36 pm }

I’m an MKR fan and for me, they have had this timeslot/time of year well and truly claimed for a few years now. Ch 10 run plenty of crap and repeat shows at 8.30pm that don’t rate. They could replace them with MCP, but would rather alienate cooking show fans instead.

9 brain dead dave { 10.29.12 at 7:11 pm }

MKR for me if it comes to a choice.

10 Morgan { 10.29.12 at 9:20 pm }

Damn. I’ll probably flip back and forth to see both, but in the end I’ll probably end up watching MKR. And anyway, it’s just a Masterchef spin off and not the actual show, and I’ve never been interested in the spin offs (except All Stars, but that was terrible). Plus there are other shows that have professional chefs battling it out that do it much better than MCProfessionals will.

11 Morgan { 10.29.12 at 9:30 pm }

I’m predicting that MKR will come out on top in the ratings battle. This year’s season had really good ratings, didn’t it?

12 Reality Raver { 10.29.12 at 9:54 pm }

Morgan – Great ratings and it was the best series thus far.

13 KJ { 10.29.12 at 10:06 pm }

MKR without a doubt. It’s much more fun to watch “amatas”. And I like the bitching in MKR too.

14 Ari { 10.29.12 at 10:15 pm }

Probably MKR but also juggling with Professionals. MKR is a flawed show and it annoys me a lot with CH7’s editing and the casting. I only watch MKR for the home cooks part, after that I don’t bother to watch it.

I’m forever a Masterchef fan, so I’ll also be watching Professionals for the food and Marco. It will be very exciting!

I will always prefer Masterchef to MKR because CH7 have a knack for being sadistic with their editing, and they take absolute PRIDE with television scandal and humiliating contestants – like that fight between the Greek couple in TAR Australia, they kept advertising it like it was the best thing to happen on TV, regardless it broke their relationship. But with Masterchef, it’s always about hopes and dreams and the people become family – it’s top quality TV.

15 Stacey { 10.29.12 at 10:20 pm }

This years MKR was great. Who could forget Thomas and Carla!

16 Cheryl { 10.29.12 at 11:24 pm }

I would probably watch MKR live and MC on catch up because Channel 10 are quicker at putting their shows up on the interwebs. I was able to watch Puberty Blues within 2 hours of Perth air times this year

17 Rosie { 10.30.12 at 12:00 pm }

MKR here too.
Even if the two shows were not head to head, I doubt I’d be bothering with MC Professionals. For one thing, I’m pretty much over MC itself, but the other reason is I find Marco Pierre White to be a big pain in the you know what. Just too creepy for me. And will he still be shilling for that nasty tasting “stock”? No self respecting chef (well… except Manu, but I can give him a pass because, well…. he’s Manu…) would flog fake stocks.

18 Izobel2 { 10.30.12 at 12:52 pm }

I’ll watch both. Tape both and watch both without the ads.
Husband will watch MC with me as he likes it. He hates MKR so I’ll go that one alone and join in the banter on here as usual!

19 Joseph Skyrim { 10.30.12 at 1:31 pm }

Masterchef for me. I have lousy reception for Ch7. 😛

20 Dr T { 10.30.12 at 3:48 pm }

Pick… pick… who says I have to pick…
Digital recorder or on line catch up!

21 daisy { 11.24.12 at 2:15 pm }

I hate ads so I pre-record EVERYTHING that I watch on commercial TV and watch it between half an hour to 24 hrs later. So I wouldn’t be choosing but I prefer MKR because 1. I prefer the judges on MKR(MC judges are like a little rat, a toad and a dog- I don’t want to be mean but that is what they look like and they do come across as having their heads too far up their own butts) 2. I like the ‘couples’ contestants on MKR for the added drama. 3. I like the way MKR emphasises a little more from which state the contestants come. So I can barrack a bit more for WA if I like them. I didn’t mind even letting the Kiwis having a go. Having said that I always get into both shows.

22 daisy { 11.24.12 at 2:31 pm }

BUT I hate, hate, hate when they confuse themselves with amazing Race. I hated when MC had their contestants doing car rally challenges. Just cook and judge.