The X Factor – Nathaniel Willemse Eliminated

It was no surprise the Nathaniel landed in the bottom two tonight, nor that Guy Sebastian’s other singer, Samantha Jade, was there with him.

Neither have been able to attract that passionate fan base required to win The X Factor.

Interestingly enough both are two the stronger singers in the competition. Samantha Jade ticks all the boxes to be a pop princess – she is pretty, can sing, and even can groove  a little, however she lacks that certain something that makes you are star.

Ricki-Lee Coulter had it the first time she stepped onto the Australian Idol stage, as did Jessica Mauboy, and also Reese Mastin.

Also neither Nathaniel or Samantha-Jade has had the publicity push The Collective,  or Bella Ferraro has received. This week Bella was in the Sunday papers and The Collective had  a double page spread in the TV Week. Bella has never performed at the beginning of the show, always the back end this also gives her an advantage. The Collective have had the prime last spot twice this season.

Interesting on performance night there was a lot of criticism about the bullying of Bella on Twitter. Was Natalie Bassingthwaite having a dig at Jessica Mauboy saying the show was rigged, or is it rabid Fourtunate fans having a go at Bella for being kept instead of her.

If that is the case Fourtunate fans should be having a crack at the judges they were the ones that decided to send them home, Ronan excepted.

Bella has been having a hard time on Twitter, also Samantha Jade has said she has had negativity on the site due to people thinking she was on the show because she is friends with Guy. However if they are wanting to use the social media site to promote themselves that is one of the negatives. Sure it does not make it right, but people should not speed when they drive but some do even with all the education campaigns that surround the issue, bottom line it is very hard to stamp out.

They do have a choice whether to use social media sites or not, and suspect the positive outweighs the negative.  It does give them the opportunity to connect with fans long after the show has finished.

Other ways fans will be able to interact is to see The X Factor contestants in concert.

It kicks of in January and the dates are:

Jupiters Theatre, Gold Coast on January 8, Festival Hall, Melbourne on January 11, Derwent Entertainment Centre, Hobart on January 13, Adelaide Entertainment Centre Arena, January 15, Challenge Arena Stadium, Perth on January 16 and Hordern Pavilion, Sydney on January 18.

Who do you think should have been eliminated? Will people think because Guy did not vote for Samantha Jade and to it to dead lock that he has favoured her?

1 Eliza { 10.31.12 at 12:59 am }

I had a feeling that it was going to be Nathaniel leaving tonight. He and Samantha Jade were the 2 I was hoping would make it to the end, but I knew that this would have to be some kind of miracle! I get what you mean about Samantha not having that certain something that she needs to be a star.. I think that it might be her personality and is probably why she grew on me. To me, she was relatable as she came across as being genuine and although she has one hell of a voice and is super hot, she appeared humble. Maybe she needs to develop some sass (like Kylie Minogue)? I think she falls into that “aww she’s pretty and can sing” category, but what will make her stand out? I am over hearing how she is Guy’s mate – her talent has proven that she deserves to be there so it has not been a factor for me.

I was hoping that Jason or Shiane would go this week. They, to me, are the weakest left and I enjoy their performances the least.

Although Bella is not my favourite, and I was disappointed to see Fourtunate go last week, I do not see the need for people to personally attack others on the internet. It is cowardly and not needed. People are entitled to their opinion but need to learn that not everything needs to be shared via the internet – especially things that are hurtful and uncalled for. I think that this problem will only get worse as social media grows. I am probably considered to be in the age bracket in which social media is most prevalently used, but do not feel the need to share every thought that crosses my mind as I understand the repercussions of posting items PERMANENTLY online. Also it is just plain mean! I don’t speed either so maybe this has something to do with it…

Back to Nathaniel – he has some serious talent and I hope that he is able to find a market for himself. He can really sing, there is no question about that, but hopefully he can find that ‘pizaz’ that can make him a star.

On another note, I didn’t like Ronan’s comments to The Collective at the end of their performance. It was almost as though he was throwing Jayden (?) under the bus, blaming him for the others also being shaky. So the saying goes that you are only as good as your weakest link, however I think the others could have lifted if they felt he was nervous! I was just happy to hear someone else sing other than the usual two. I still have no idea who one of them is!

That’s the end of my rant.. I don’t watch BB so was delighted when I saw a post up about X Factor! Sorry it’s so long I got a bit carried away!

2 Georgie { 10.31.12 at 6:47 am }

Sorry to see Nathaniel go, I thought he was the best singer. As I’ve said before, I don’t believe any of this years contestants has the ‘XF’. There may be a couple of good voices but no-one has got the total package. The Collective probably give the best all round stage performance and it’s been said already, that it’s going to be a group to win.

3 Sue N { 10.31.12 at 7:41 am }

Eliza- I agree with all your commnents, especially glad to see an X-Factor post :) . It’s such a pity that tween fans have so much control over voting results – sigh, & as if Jason deserves to be there over either Samantha or Nathaniel!( yeah, he’s a nice kid, but seriously! country vote keeping him in I guess)

cannot stand BB…..ugh!

4 Anonymous { 10.31.12 at 9:36 am }

Loves how the judges always say how surprised to see a certain contestants in the bottom 2, just like last night..Nat and Sam….would love to see the host asking them…”who do you think should be in the bottom 2?”…My bet is Jason going next week, follow by Sam ….then Shiane with Bella and Collective in the final….

5 Eliza { 10.31.12 at 10:52 am }

Sue N – agree re the teen vote. I guess I can’t whinge too much though as I never vote on these shows! The only time I ever did was in high school for Guy to win Aus Idol.

Anonymous – agree with you there. Whenever they go on about the bottom 2 not deserving to be there I too want the host to ask them who they think should be there.. Someone has to be! I think Mel B got the sense they were probably referring to Jason as she got a bit defensive!

6 Stacey { 10.31.12 at 11:51 am }

This show is ridiculous and has lost all credibility for me this year. They’ve had some great talent but are not using it right. Nathaniel and Samantha were my pick for final two, I think they have the best voices and the most potential. I’m sick of fan favourites like Bella Shiane and Jason getting picked over ones who are marketable enough to sell music, like Fortunate and Nathaniel.

7 Anonymous { 10.31.12 at 2:26 pm }

Exactly Stacy, lets face it Bella voice is great ( in a weird way) buy she aint going to sell any recprds! Shiane…she will disappear after the show finished…she will be like another Casey Donevan ( Australia Idol winner) …Nat, Fortunate have the package…they will sell records…same as collective! But you know what Nat will do well , cause now he can charged top dollars to sing at someone’s wedding….I should have him at my wedding 2 years ago!!

8 shallow { 10.31.12 at 8:50 pm }

I’m devastated that Nathaniel went out. I think he definitely has that wow factor that’s needed to make it; amazing voice that he knows how to use, good looks, great personality. Sheesh, what more could people want? As has been pointed out, the trouble is that people don’t vote for someone because they’d buy their songs – no, they vote for totally unrelated reasons like: she’s only fourteen; that person is from my state or city; that country boy seems really nice, etc, etc. I’m just about ready to swear off talent shows decided by popular vote. At least The Voice doesn’t solely rely on the popularity contest. Sigh, Sammi was my second favourite so it was always going to be a bummer for me whichever one went home.

9 A.P { 10.31.12 at 10:19 pm }

I think they should go back to the old days of talent shows where it was always a panel of judges who decided the winners.
Most people voting here are definitely teens, I can’t stand all their screaming while contestants are performing and being judged.
Shiane I can never understand the words and Bella last night just looked really angry at the end, standing with her arms folded and yawning without covering her mouth.
I would just declare ” The Collective ” the winners now and be done with it.

10 Laura { 11.01.12 at 7:09 am }

Finally some people with sensible comments. It’s a real shame to see someone as talented as Nathaniel leave the show at this stage. The only person worth watching now is Sammy in my mind and only the Collective when they shine (which has been hit and miss). Shiane I can never understand her and she’s just not ready yet for stardom, Bella has zero personality and always looks pissed off to me. Jason is the novelty factor this year, great guy, solid performance but would you buy a ticket time his concert?? No I don’t think so. Sammy has grown on me, sweet girl and a real talent but for some reason Australia doesn’t like her… Jealousy? I think so. Goodbye x factor 2012, I had such high hopes.

11 shallow { 11.01.12 at 7:44 am }

Laura – I agree with you absolutely. Shiane has a powerful voice and an impressive sound but her diction needs improving and she’s yet to learn how to connect to the words/emotion of the song she’s singing. She constantly looks like a deer caught in the headlights – and no wonder considering she’s an inexperienced fourteen year old and Nat is giving her ridiculously mature songs to sing that she can’t possibly understand. Give her five years and she could well be amazing. Similarly, I don’t think Bella ever gives an emotional performance. She always looks worried and at times terrified and certainly doesn’t connect with her audience at an emotional level. I never feel comfortable watching her sing. The Collective aren’t reliable vocally – sometimes excellent but at other times extremely pitchy. Jason has been a surprise and has a lovely personality. I have been impressed with his ability to sing any song Mel gives him but I don’t think for a moment he has the class of Nathaniel who could stand on stage with any of the top singers from around the world and totally hold his own – maybe even outshine some of them. Like Nathaniel, Sammi is vocally amazing and extraordinarily polished. I think she suffered originally from the fact you couldn’t see her eyes – the make-up was ridiculously dark and almost hid her eyes completely. Thankfully in her last two shows they’ve lightened the eye make-up and pulled her hair back from her face and this helps us to see her expressions. She does amazing impersonations – Guy has to work out a way to show people more of that cheeky persona.

12 auds { 11.02.12 at 3:12 pm }

I dunno why people keep criticising Shiane because they cant understand what she is singing.

Does the name James Reyne ring a bell??

13 Ruby { 11.02.12 at 4:34 pm }

the nanas are voting for Jason from what I can tell. Nana’s revenge :)

14 shallow { 11.02.12 at 10:48 pm }

auds – true about James Reyne but boy, he could sell a song with some powerful emotion. The problem with Shiane is that she seems to be unable to convey the meaning of the songs she’s singing. I love her voice but she needs time to mature. I think it would be such a pity if she won and was then crucified because of her lack of experience and expertise.