The X Factor – The Final Three Have Been Decided

Well the tween vote can’t be blamed for Jason Owens sailing comfortably into next week’s The X Factor final. These voting competitions sometimes throw through funny people into the final, last year it was Andrew Wishart and this year it is Jason whose performances last night were pretty average.

I suspect it is older women that think he is a sweet boy and possibly they were the only songs they recognised from last night performances. Anyway Jason is the only contestant not to be in the bottom two for the whole series. Quite a feat and theoretically makes him favourite to win next week.

Even Mel B seemed a little shocked he made it through. Samantha Jade was the second person into the finals.

And there we had it the two most marketable singers of the competition, Bella and Β The Collective, duking it out for the last spot in the finale. Β After the sing off Ronan voted his boys through and Nat B voted for Bella. Mel B possibly playing strategy voted through Bella and then Guy voted for The Collective sending it to the viewers vote, which meant Bella was eliminated.

Were you happy with the result?

1 Ari { 11.13.12 at 11:07 pm }

Only started watching last night. The rumours are true. There is tension between Mel B and Nat Bass. Mel B DOES roll her eyes at Nat Bass. Sigh. Danii Minogue and Osborne. Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carrey. Why can’t women just get along?!

Since Mel B is highly successful in the industry, I do tend to side with her. I’ve only seen a few of Nat Bass’ mentoring and does she always choose generic pop music easily heard on the radio? Does she have an expendable music “vocabulary”? I think mentor judges need those.

I THINK Mel B just wants the best out of Bella, but is constantly frustrated that Nat Bass isn’t doing a thorough job in bringing Bella’s full potential? Am I right there?

I didn’t think Bella was really dancing. More like stomping around the stage. She seems angry at Mel B though. Is she angry at Mel B?

Forgive my perceptions, I haven’t been watching the show. But from what I have gathered I really enjoyed Samantha Jade’s performances. The Collective were okay too.

2 Cheryl { 11.13.12 at 11:45 pm }

I don’t think Nat is a great mentor either, she knows how to sing and she knows how to be empathetic but she doesn’t seem to be good at bringing it out in her singers. She had a similar problem last year.

As for Bella I suspect that she’s grown to believe the hype Channel 7 have put out about her, that she’s amazingly awesome and should win, so every time she’s in the bottom 2 she gets really cranky at not automatically going through.

And yes RR, I cannot understand how Jason ended up in the finale. He’s not a bad singer but he’s not a magnetic performer like some of the others have been or are now. He’s very dull, kind of like that short swing singer from last year.

3 Eliza { 11.13.12 at 11:56 pm }

So glad that Samantha made it through! I am also happy that The Collective are into the GF as well as I think that they deserve it. I think I must still hold a soft spot for manufactured boy bands as it takes me back to being a tween in the late 90s.

Jason, Jason, Jason.. what are the voters thinking? This isn’t the nice guy factor, it’s the X Factor! I had a feeling tonight that he would be through. He has such a strong fan base considering he has not been in the bottom 2 once.. Would they buy his albums though?!

Oh also, I listened to a couple of Samantha Jade’s songs from years back on itunes – they didn’t sound great to me. Hopefully she can get some good songs in the pipeline that showcase her fantastic voice.

Ari – you can definitely sense tension between Mel B and Nat, especially over song choices for Bella. Is it a made for TV feud? Who knows but I could feel the tension radiating out of the TV on many occasions!

4 Sue N { 11.14.12 at 7:28 am }

I am in the “mum bracke”t and I definitely would not vote for Jason, if I voted! πŸ˜‰ He seems a sweet lad, but average singer. I think what may have kept him in all along is a strong country vote rather than the mumsy vote, but hey it was probably a combo of them both.

I cannot see him appealing to teens much, nor much interest in any music he might release. I think it probably should have been Bella as 3rd person, but there you have it.

I would be ok for either Samantha or Collective to win. Not voting tho, lol πŸ˜‰

5 Georgie { 11.14.12 at 8:04 am }

The show is a joke and Jason in the finale just proves beyond doubt that the X Factor has nothing to do with good music. It’s all about how much money can be made out of the voting public, for those with a vested interest.

The judges vote for their own, not for the best contestant – the same as the public vote for their favourite not for the best contestant. It’s testimony to the musical tastes of the judges and the majority of voting public really.

6 chasing vegas { 11.14.12 at 8:13 am }

I knew Jason would get thru, not happy about it tho.

How creepy was Elton John checking out Luke Jacobs!!? Elton needs to hang up his glasses, both performances were a little tragic uncomfortable to watch at times.

Bella’s song was awful, kinda like watching Shiane last week, started off struggling & just went downhill from there.

7 Joseph Skyrim { 11.14.12 at 8:29 am }

Having not watched the series at all and just watched a bit of it last night since I was visiting a household that followed it, I had a few thoughts:

a) Bella (I think) earlier on in the competition forgot words to her song and just stopped singing (said my brother)? If that’s true then I agree with him that that should be an automatic YOU FAIL, get out!

b) Elton John’s quality of music has lowered considerably. I don’t know who Pnau are but the songs they played last night were hideous, like vomit stacked on shit. They did a good job convincing me to never ever buy any of their albums ever.

c) I’m glad I didn’t hang around to hear anyone else “sing”.

8 VioletsRBlue { 11.14.12 at 9:00 am }

Joseph, I agree that under ‘normal’ circumstances if one forgets words than it really classifieds as fail, HOWEVER in Bella’s case it would have been a terrible loss to the show as Bella was the most artistic and original candidates they had! It would have been the most stupid and narrow minded decision if they did that. She is only 18 and very inexperienced but has huge potential. Her dancing may not be the greatest but it’s singing and not dancing competition after all so let’s not get carried away. I am sure that with a but of practice she will be an ok dancer but even if she didnt I would not care.

I am not that a upset about her leaving, she will be ok. Might even be better for her as she will get signed in anyway but might have the opportunity to have more control over her album since she will not have to follow any process that X factor has for the winner.

9 chasing vegas { 11.14.12 at 9:15 am }

All we heard during the entire series was how good Bella’s first audition was, which she never once backed up. Her survival each week was due the judges basically hoping she could capture that performance again or the public feeling sorry for her. I can’t understand why people are refer to Bella as ‘original’ or ‘artistic’ when even the first audition was a complete rip off of the Birdy version of that song originally ripped off by Birdy from Bon Iver! What the?

Bella = Missy Higgins, Lisa Mitchell, Kate Miller-Heidke, Sarah Blasko = saturated market.

10 Reality Raver { 11.14.12 at 9:47 am }

I’m like Sue N in the mum demographic and did not vote for him but clearly someone is. What is interesting as well, and some of you might be able to dispute this, but compared to the other performers he does not appear to have as big a social media push as the others or fans on the social media, having said that I have not been searching for it. Might have a whip around later on today.

The other issue is Bella and her song choices and Ari I am of the opposite view (being the mum demographic and completely uncool when it comes to music) that I had not heard of probably 30% of what she had sung. I think in these shows song choice is key and keeping it mainstream does help with the votes. This does not matter if they absolutely kill (in a good way) an obscure song but if the performance is ordinary song choice can assist in getting you over the line. As can be seen by the middle of the road fare dished up by Jason each week.

Thoughts?

11 TickledPink { 11.14.12 at 10:31 am }

Jason’s family are my boyfriends family friends
I know they are doing the rounds and calling everyone they know to get votes

12 Anonymous { 11.14.12 at 10:59 am }

@chasing vegas, totally agreed your comments about Bella doing a complete ripped off…and calling its ORIGINAL! If any, she is so unoriginal! …She did tried to make her own version of Cranberries’s Dream…and she so ruin the song for me. Glad she out of the comp.

13 Pamela { 11.14.12 at 11:11 am }

I’m an older woman and no way would I vote for Jason. I think those who are voting for him are doing him a disservice because he is a very ordinary singer and won’t go anywhere after the show. Remember the nut salesman form last year? I bet he’s back selling his nuts!

14 Eliza { 11.14.12 at 1:10 pm }

My thoughts exactly Chasing Vegas #9! I have never thought of Bella as original – there are lots of artists like her at the moment – Birdy, Lisa Mitchel, etc. It did annoy me that the judges did just seem to be waiting for a repeat of the ‘magic’ of her first audition. I agree with others though too that she will get signed. Often it is better to not win as you can then have a bit more control over what you release.

RR, I agree that song choice plays a big part. More often than not, if you like the original song then you’ll enjoy the performance more. Therefore obscure songs can be more difficult to impress on, in saying that, however, I wasn’t familiar with the kanye song samantha sung on Monday night and that impressed me so obscure songs probably have to be sung to an even higher level to get the wow reaction?

15 VioletsRBlue { 11.14.12 at 1:36 pm }

Well I think that the ‘artistic’ and ‘original’ labels that I gave Bella should have been put in perspective in which I was making it. I wasn’t compering Bella to the whole music industry market but rather to the other contestants on the show. Compared to them she is definitely much more artistic.

I agree that there are other singers like her BUT there is even more, (many more!) singers like Samantha and Jason and groups like The Collective. I don’t think that either the judges or Bella’s supporters were suggesting that she is like no one in the world!

16 A.P { 11.14.12 at 1:40 pm }

I don’t know why Jason got through either, its a bit like Estelle in BB, people couldn’t understand why she kept getting saved so I guess its all in the eyes of the beholder.
Bella seemed happy to be gone to me, happier than when she got through and always has a cranky, bored look on her face.
Why do they drag it on so much at the end, its obvious who Ronan and Nat were voting for so their votes don’t really count, and the sing off is a waste of time really.
Who were those guys with Elton John, he thought they were the best thing since sliced bread but to me they looked creepy and Elton surely doesn’t need anyone else to prop him up? Most of those young screaming girls probably didn’t know who he was anyway.
The Collective or Samantha to win!

17 LB { 11.14.12 at 2:23 pm }

Thank the gods that people have finally seen the light re Bella. Her audition was good, but she never lived up to the hype post that. Week after week her performances were dodgy, to say the least, and I was gobsmacked at the judges heaping praise on her.

For mine, neither Samantha or Jason have the “X” Factor. They are both good singers, in their own genre, but I wouldn’t buy a recording by either of them.

Given that the way voting has been going, I doubt that The Collective will win, but they do seem the ones which will have legs in the business. Whether or not that will be for more than 12 months will be interesting to track.

18 Bree { 11.14.12 at 2:48 pm }

A week ago I would’ve said that The Collective had this in the bag but after the performances on Monday I think Samantha’s chances of winning are even higher than TC! Her Heartless cover went number 1 on iTunes and there’s been heaps of social media support for her lately so it’s happening for her at the right time. I’m happy for either one of those acts to win as they’re perfect for the music industry right now.

With Jason, I’m not convinced at all. Yes, he’s a nice bloke but that’s about it. Being a nice bloke doesn’t mean you should win, exactly. I just get a vibe that if he wins he’ll just drop off the face like Casey Donovan, etc. Unless his songs are kinda Taylor Swift-esque pop/country style then I don’t see him taking off well, especially internationally.

My prediction:
1st Sammy
2nd The Collective (though, it’ll be neck and neck between them)
3rd Jason

19 Warble { 11.14.12 at 3:57 pm }

I wish the judges would stop referring to the contestants singing covers as artists. They’re not, they’re singers. Changing the tempo or doing vocal gymnastics in a cover is not difficult or overly creative.

Bella was extremely over rated. As mentioned earlier, she is in the Missy Higgins, Lisa Mitchell, KM-H and Sarah Blasko territory but she doesn’t have a fraction of their talent. Whilst she sung Last Day on Earth well, it looked like nothing more then a cheap knock off against KM-H’s exquisite vocals. There’s a real danger in covering a song by someone who is opera trained and a phenomenal performer. I can’t help but feel the judges don’t know the original well.

The Collective are the only finalist with the potential to be a real industry force IMO. I don’t like them but they are marketable and talented. They should do OK riding the wake of One Direction.

20 brain dead dave { 11.14.12 at 6:00 pm }

This is great light entertainment. If these are the finalists, I’m shuddering to think how appalling the also rans must have been.

What a celebration of mediocrity last night was.

21 Last series for me { 11.14.12 at 6:07 pm }

This is the last series for me. Not impressed with the voting system or the behaviour of the judges. Guy and Mel B chose to keep Bella over Fourtunate, yet they say the same thing every time they criticize her – they always bring up Bella’s audition and make it out that she hasn’t delivered since then. So why did they keep her for so long? She never matched her audition level the whole show. Mel B tried to eliminate the competition again but this time Guy wised up because I believe he got punished for voting out Fourtunate with 2 of his singers in the bottom 2 the week after. Also, if people are going to keep voting for Jason then the show might just as well give him the prize money now, and change the name of the show to Sweetest Singer or something. Jason is a sweet kid but he is no X Factor, neither was Bella, or Shiane. They can sing but they won’t sell CD’s or pack an auditorium judging by their performances. The acts that can really perform were voted out way too soon. So X Factor .. i have chosen to exercise my Goodbye Factor! Adios!

22 Georgie { 11.14.12 at 6:13 pm }

RR, your X Factor poll needs one more option – ‘Don’t Care’.

23 brain dead dave { 11.14.12 at 6:17 pm }

And another option- ” Not a ****in’ boy band”

24 Eliza { 11.14.12 at 6:32 pm }

I got what you meant in your comment, VioletsRBlue (#15), I think I just got tired of them saying each week how original Bella is. Her style is very on trend at the moment so I am sure that she will be fine post show and possibly better off not winning in many respects. She really didn’t seem all that upset to go.. but The Collective were crapping themselves – they want this bad.

I agree that there are MANY artists like Samantha and The Collective, there always will be which I think is what will make it harder for Sam in particular as she will have to work extra hard to give herself a point of difference and not just fade into the background. Artists coming from Australia don’t have the push that others do coming from the US and the UK.

I too feel bad for Jason and think that he will fade away after the competition ends.

25 Chunks { 11.14.12 at 6:32 pm }

Pretty sure it’s country people voting for Jason. Which is weird because he barely did a single country song. I suspect Bella would have done much better if she’d been able to make her own song choices all the way along instead of singing Natalie’s dreary pop crap. Oh well, don’t care a lot but hope Samantha steals it.

26 Reality Raver { 11.14.12 at 7:28 pm }

Georgie – I nearly did put that option but thought too many people might opt for it!

27 Stacey { 11.14.12 at 8:13 pm }

Agree with all the comments here, it was Bella’s time to go. Wait six months and she’ll have a single out. She never outdid her audition, which was the problem. She peaked way too early. And agree Warble about Bella being quite unoriginal. She was only original compared to the other contestants, but even then she is still a copy of a lot of indie female singer-songwriters around at the moment as you mentioned. I for one, generally HATE that type of music.

Good on Jason and Samantha for making it to the final, I never expected them to be there. They’ve had really good talent this year but the public keeps voting them out. Ill admit I stopped watching after Nathaniel went.

I hope it works out for Samantha this time, all she needs is a hit first song and I think she’ll go far. And there is a market out there for Jason for sure, if only just in Australia.

As for the Mel B-Nat B feud, I think Mel knows what she’s talking about more than Nat, although Mels acts tend not to do that well. Nat B’s song choices are atrocious, she struck it lucky getting Bella and Shiane this year. She can’t compete with a Spice Girl!

28 Georgie { 11.14.12 at 8:16 pm }

Now I’ll never know the result of the poll RR, because I can’t bring myself to hit one of those voting buttons. :-)

29 dmc { 11.14.12 at 9:21 pm }

Perceptive article on the seven stages of the boy band.

Don’t really care who wins as long as it’s not Jason. It would be funny if the winner of X factor was the one person who can’t hold a tune (he’s almost always flat).

30 Janenowdaisy { 11.14.12 at 11:43 pm }

I don’t care who wins. I haven’t watched much because I think the format of these talent shows are getting same0ld. I think Jason might suit singing Cat Stevens, Neil young or Cosby, Stills, Nash and Young.
I think the judges dress like desperate try hards and dress their contestants like-wise. Why don’t the guys wear suits that fit? Do they want to look like Steve Urkell?
As for Nat and Angry Spice …..they definitely get genuinely angry with each other. That’s probably the most interesting part of the show. I wish these Aussie talent shows would try something new AND not be afraid to have more Aussie judges. I think the judging panels, need to be mainly Aussie, otherwise it looks like we don’t have any talent here.

31 Janenowdaisy { 11.14.12 at 11:49 pm }

Chunks@25 I agree with you about the crappy song choices. The contestants often seem so uncomfortable with the inappropriate songs they have to sing.