Extreme Couponing – Don’t Stand Behind These People At The Supermarket

Don’t expect to see Extreme Couponing on screens in Australia as using coupons is not our thing. To my surprise Extreme Couponing is on our TV screens, it is currently being shown on Discovery Health! (Thanks Remued). MolksTVTalk tweeted about the show as he was in Canada and I decided to have a look on YouTube to see what it was like.

One word – trashy.

Coupons are an American phenomenon where you get discounts off items at supermarkets or shops. One of the women here got $1200 worth of food for $100.

It is like hoarders with obsessive compulsive types using coupons to buy 60 bottles of mustard and 90 cereal packets. I am not sure the point of having stuff you are not going to use.  To be fair they do appear to be very organised in cutting and sorting the coupons.

Anyway you would not want to stand behind them in a supermarket checkout as they would definitely hold up the queue.

Extreme Couponing on Discovery Health Friday nights at 7.30pm and there are repeats throughout the week.

1 A.P { 11.15.12 at 2:37 pm }

If that woman got $1200 worth of food for $100, isn’t it worth all the hassle of collecting the coupons etc?
I wish we had it here because I would give it a go to save some money!

2 Remued { 11.15.12 at 3:44 pm }

It’s definitely already on Foxtel – I watched a marathon of it on Sunday night. It’s amazing how much stuff they can get for pretty much free. It’s half inspiring/half insight into hoarding style mental illness

3 Georgie { 11.15.12 at 3:54 pm }

I reckon it would take two life-times to use >70 bottles of mustard and having your shower recess full of toilet paper means you’d save on soap!

4 Reality Raver { 11.15.12 at 5:14 pm }

Remued – thanks as you pointed out to me on Twitter it is on Discovery Health!

AP – Well yes and no but you wonder if they are just buying stuff because they think it is a bargain. The amount of cereal they have it must go off.

Georgie – Good point. It is obsessive behaviour. Having said I am known to stock up on coffee beans when it is on special Currently I think I might have five packets but that is not double figures.

5 Sioux Denim { 11.15.12 at 6:18 pm }

Oooh I would love this show – wish I had Foxtel…….

I am renowned for my toilet paper fetish when on special!!!!

6 A.P { 11.15.12 at 7:19 pm }

I wouldn’t go overboard like that woman but you could still buy, say half a dozen of everything and still save quite a bit. Buying all that mustard is a bit ridiculous, it would last for years unless maybe you could share everything out with extended family, friends etc. Definitely wouldn’t be buying yoghurt in bulk either.

7 Nathan 1 { 11.16.12 at 8:09 am }

i found weevils in my box of weetbix once….so i complained and Sanitarium sent me a massive parcel of more weetbix- which was weevil free. kind of reminds me of this show…ahaha

8 Samantha { 11.16.12 at 7:53 pm }

Lol @ Nathan. I made a complain once and they sent me free money!

I would love to watch this show (I’m too broke to have pay tv) and I agree with AP, coupons would be great, albeit in moderation. I do remember reading somewhere that people get together for their coupons, so that say four people brought all that food they would share it and the savings.
I am slightly off kilter though, so…

9 Reality Raver { 11.16.12 at 8:30 pm }

Samantha – watch the clip above it is fairly comprehensive.

10 Golo i Wesolo { 11.16.12 at 11:27 pm }

Julie Goodwin would have a field day if she lived in Illmerica.

Hopefully she cuts her uvula on all that food shoved down her throat!