The X Factor – And The Winner Is…..

Well Australia has another pop princess in Samantha Jade who won The X Factor season four This has also made it two years in a row that Guy Sebastian has won with his contestants.

What is interesting about her win is again shows reality TV singing competition shows are a legitimate vehicle for professional singers to kick start their careers and find fame. She has come closer then most to making it big but unfortunately her career stalled.

Samantha Jade had a very shaky start in the competition where she was in the bottom two more than any other contestant but because she was a favourite of the judges managed to stay in the competition.

In the last few weeks she has made some strong performances and had stamped herself a firm favourite to win.

What was surprising was The Collective were the first of the three to be knocked out and Jason Owens at one point looked like he was going to be the shock winner.

Jason who had the reality TV buzz words of transformation and journey going for him was pipped at the post, but as most people did not predict that he would get past the first week (yes I include myself in that) he certainly did a great job to cultivate such a large fan base.

Samantha Jade now has a recording contract with Sony and her winners single What You’ve Done To Me is on sale in iTunes and everyone will be watching to see if it goes to number one.

It won’t be the first time she has worked with Sony as previously when she was signed with US based Jive Records, Sony BMG looked after her in Australia. In that article in the Sunday Telegraph in 2007  she was hailed the next big thing. Maybe this time she will be.

Will she be able to parlay her win on The X Factor into a long and successful career? Who knows but she won’t be going back to her father’s factory in awhile.

If you think you have what it takes to win The X Factor auditions kick off on the 1 December in Launceston. Go to the official website to get further information and to see when they are coming to a town near you.

Or if you just want to see the top six perform again you can go along to The X Factor tour in January 2013. Again information is here.

1 Kylie { 11.20.12 at 11:31 pm }

I had forgotten Guy won it last year too, was that even mentioned? I got a bit fidgety toward the end, so may have missed that announcement

2 Eliza { 11.21.12 at 12:19 am }

Woo hoo! Will be interesting to see if she can knock her mentor Guy off top spot on itunes! Her song is the only winner’s single that I have bought/even really liked so glad that they did a good job. Her’s was definitely the strongest of the lot.

3 daisy { 11.21.12 at 12:52 am }

Samantha’s final song: shades of Kylie Minogue meets Eurovision Song Contest. Good singer, dated style. Voice over synthesised.

4 Stacey { 11.21.12 at 1:13 am }

I really liked Samantha’s song and I’m glad she won. I was suprised it came down to her and Jason though, I thought it would be her and the Collective. I really hope it works out for her this time, she deserves it. She had the best voice in the competition by a country mile, too.

5 Culinary Boner { 11.21.12 at 10:05 am }

Cripes, are they really doing another series?
Talk about mining the bottom of the music industry barrel.
So the winner wasn’t good enough to make it in pop music in 2007, but somehow will magically make it big in 2013.
Dream on.

6 Jess { 11.21.12 at 11:43 am }

Can I just say that I really don’t think Sammi should have won. Not only was she in the bottom 2 more than anyone else, she also had a personal relationship with her mentor Guy which would have swayed whether she was going to make it into his top 3 to begin with. It was quite obvious when she thanked Guy’s partner Jules after she was announced. I actually never liked her from the start (because of her back story that she has gad record deals and sung the title track for a well known movie) and a few of her runs that she did in some of her songs actually sounded like she was screeching. I must admit she got better as it went on but she was given just one too many second chances by the judges. Does this mean that we open the door to other professional singers (that may have failed in the past) to come in and take over the stage from people who just want an ‘in’ to the industry that haven’t been there before?

7 Eliza { 11.21.12 at 5:24 pm }

I think that the judges saved her all those times because she has the talent but was harder to ‘connect’ to than some of the other contestants in the beginning. We have seen in the past in these talent comps where the individuals with the best voices have left prematurely. I think it’s good that they wanted the best talent to stay in the competition (if only they saved Nathaniel too..). I fail to see how her personal relationship with Guy would have increased her chances. Sure, if she plain sucked we would have been questioning her place, but she can sing and that is plain to see. I did read that there was a reason why Guy had to be given the over 25s. Who cares though as she showed time and time again why she deserved to be there (failed career in the past and all). If she shouldn’t have won, then why did people vote for her. No one can say that she shouldn’t have won when there were two other contestants to vote for (with the judges having no say this time) and yet people seemed to vote for her.

8 Georgie { 11.21.12 at 6:06 pm }

It’s hard to fathom for sure.

When they announced Jason was through, I laughed and laughed. I was hoping he’d win so I could laugh and laugh some more!

What a crock.

9 daisy { 11.21.12 at 10:54 pm }

These shows are getting OLD.

10 Ruby { 11.25.12 at 6:11 pm }

She is soooo lucky she won…how many chances does one get on this show if you are Guy’s friend??? There was a large contingent voting for Jason just to stick it up the show & the look on Simon Cowell’s face would have been priceless – problem is his face can’t move anymore :) I vote for Jason as Cleo’s Bachelor of the Year, lol :)