Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Coming To Our Screens

Australian viewers will be able to judge for themselves if Here Comes Honey Boo is exploitative TV when the show hit our screen on the 31 January.

Honey Boo is Alana Thompson who was a star on Toddlers and Tiaras and courted controversy when her mother gave her go go juice on the show to amp her up before a pageant.

The show is about their home life where they eat road kill and basically shown to be a white trash. The question is whether the audience is laughing at them or with them or whether it is the Thompson’s laughing all the way to the bank.

It will be on Discovery Homes and Health (yeah go figure) from Thursday 31 January at 8pm.

1 brain dead dave { 11.22.12 at 11:05 am }

The go go juice is a cocktail of Red Bull and Mountain Dew. I suppose when she’s a year or two alder, Mum can can toss in some Jack Daniels for extra confidence…and we’ll have Honey Booze Booze.

From what of seen of this hideous family so far, I couldn’t bear to watch.

2 Georgie { 11.22.12 at 12:28 pm }

This looks like the next Kardashian family growing up – about as interesting too.

3 Reality Raver { 11.22.12 at 12:29 pm }

Ironically Georgie Kris Jenner, the Kardashian mother, thinks that they are exploiting Honey Boo Boo.

4 Georgie { 11.22.12 at 12:37 pm }

Well I guess she’d know RR.

5 A.P { 11.22.12 at 1:06 pm }

It will probably make sick but compulsive viewing and the parents will be laughing all the way to the bank!

6 Georgie { 11.22.12 at 1:11 pm }

You’re probably right A.P, so for once I’m thankful I don’t have Foxtel!

7 daisy { 11.22.12 at 1:37 pm }

Don’t we have enough Honey Boo Boos of our own????????

8 Reality Raver { 11.22.12 at 1:44 pm }

Daisy – I think Honey Boo Boo is an original. Not sure what I am going to think about the series.

9 daisy { 11.22.12 at 1:56 pm }

RR I’m not so sure she’s one of a kind. But wish she were. Sorry I sometimes work in retail and HBB is allowed to do as he or she pleases. They are supposed to have the same entitlements as an adult. It’s very scary. I also teach but retail is WORSE.

10 Culinary Boner { 11.22.12 at 1:57 pm }

I’ll wait for Honey Boo Boo to grow up a little and appear on other quality reality TV fare like:-
http://www.halfpintbrawlers.com – as the bikini girl who parades the banner declaring which round the bout is in; or,
http://www.mtv.com/shows/teen_mom/season_4/series.jhtml – a few years done the track…well, hopefully; or,
for her own sake – http://www.aetv.com/intervention/index.jsp

11 Kaz { 11.22.12 at 8:40 pm }

The family actually only got paid $4000 per episode for the first series, which considering the disturbing popularity of the show, and the revenue the network would have generated is quite low. With the high ratings of Season One the family have been given a pay rise, reportedly up to $10,000 per episode. Considering that there are now 7 members of the family (including Honey Boo Boo’s 17 year old sisters baby), it’s still not a huge amount of money when compared with some other reality stars.

12 Culinary Boner { 11.23.12 at 9:05 am }

Interesting, Kaz.
Unfortunately, a $4,000 regular cash injection into the Miss Boo Boo’s home of town of McIntyre, Georgia would probably result in runaway inflation and a fast-food shortage if this profile is to be believed – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2202900/Honey-Boo-Boos-neighbours-complain-small-Georgia-towns-portrayal-national-TV.html
Though the scuzzy pay the family got only goes to reinforce my already low expectations of exploitative reality TV production companies – in this case the ironically named Authentic Entertainment company.
Given how hard it is to avert one’s eyes from a train wreck, I’ll probably end up watching this show. *hangs head in shame*

13 JK { 11.23.12 at 2:20 pm }

This is almost like swamp people, but the swampers probably eat the fresh stuff… hmmm anyone for road kill curry?

14 The Oracle { 11.24.12 at 11:00 am }

I’ve watched an episode of Honey Boo Boo on you tube and in some weird way they have their own “morality” in the southern bible belt and I think they feel that their lifestyle is ..well..normal as they perceive it.
To us it’s complete trailer trash/exploitation or whatever we like to call it..I only sat through 1 episode as I needed sub titles to understand the dialogue..but if you’re into this sort of thing it will be interesting to read the blog comments.

15 Raylee Cooper { 01.19.13 at 12:51 am }

NO!!! No, no, no!!! I would unsubscribe to pay TV if this pathetic stupid Honey Boo Boo show was aired! Poor, sad, sick, sorry, sociopathic, pathetic excuses for human beings, these idiot American parents, who just have to live vicariously through their childre, ruining their childrens lives, and making complete utter fools of themselves!!! And notice people, that NO other country in the world is this pathetic – making kids parade around half naked, dressed as adults, singing and dancing provocatively, and enticing paedophiles!! Good one Uncle Sam – you’ve disgraced yourself shamefully, ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!