Beauty And The Geek – I Not Sure Whether It Is You Or Me But We Need To Break Up?

Dear Beauty and the Geek,

I think we may need to break up, and I am not sure whether it is you or me.

It has been a big year of reality TV so maybe by the end I was a tad jaded, but previously you have been one of my favourite ways to end the TV year.

I am still trying to work out what has changed between us.

It has always been enjoyable to see social inept young men (well most of them, there usually was one or two not so geeky in there), gain confidence and social skills even whilst doing some pretty silly tasks. Sure it was hokey but always fun.

Yes the viewer knows you get the geek to grow beards and hair, and dress them in retro clothes to make their transformation more spectacular but I never minded that.

Also the challenges in previous years were funny but we were not laughing at the geeks but with them and always were cheering them on.

This year the tasks just seem stupid not silly and they feel oh so drawn out. The geeks and beauties are always likeable but they are just not entertaining due to the challenges they are in. The real man challenge was an example eating a pie and skull a coke, “intimidating a tough guy”, and  then eat wasabi and arm wrestle. It just came across as plain stupid. Not like the challenges like building and riding their own go karts.

The romances between Rich and Greta, and Milly and Dane seem set up. Unlike the crushes and romances of previous seasons which did appear to have a bit more reality to them.

The show was never that “real” but it was always great to see the journey and transformation of those geeks.

Maybe the show is tired or maybe I am, but I am looking forward to the break from you.

Best wishes for your future,

RR.

PS. Are you enjoying Beauty and The Geek this year? If so what are you liking about it?

1 Georgie { 11.23.12 at 11:15 am }

I think you’ve pretty much nailed it RR and I’m with you.

The one element that makes RTV watchable and maybe even enjoyable, is having at least a modicum of believability to it.

Alas, this show is so contrived it’s stupid.

2 brain dead dave { 11.23.12 at 11:28 am }

These days a “real man “also has to be able to bake the pie to Ma$terchef standards and snort the coke.

Haven’t watched an episode this year.

3 Reality Raver { 11.23.12 at 11:30 am }

BDD – LOL – Exactly

4 Culinary Boner { 11.23.12 at 11:30 am }

Agree 100% Raver.
Haven’t they changed production companies?
I’ve found this year’s version tedious and charmless.

5 Reality Raver { 11.23.12 at 11:31 am }

Georgie – Glad that someone else was thinking the same thing as week in week out I have been stumped about the whole show. Thought it was end of year burn out at one point but then I was enjoying Brynne.

6 Reality Raver { 11.23.12 at 11:32 am }

CB – yes from Southern Star to Shine

7 Culinary Boner { 11.23.12 at 12:19 pm }

Thanks Raver. Subtlety clearly isn’t Shine’s strong point, as evidenced by the over-blown leviathan that MasterChef has become. I’m expecting the over-fed and over-cooked MasterChef franchise to explode, Mr Creosote style, in 2013.

8 A.P { 11.23.12 at 12:52 pm }

I didn’t watch one episode either , the promos were enough to see that its so fake, I mean, magically the geeks shave off their beards, have a haircut and a change of clothes and suddenly they look pretty good!
Its just rubbish, hope it doesn’t come back.

9 CAM { 11.23.12 at 5:40 pm }

I second Culinary Boner – tedious and charmless indeed!! I want to break up with B & G too, it has been a terrible season and I have completely lost interest, stop watching a few weeks back. I want them to bring back last year’s cast so we can see how they’re going.

10 Sue { 11.23.12 at 9:30 pm }

Agreed RR. It’s to overproduced, unbelievable. You can see they’ve been fed their lines, dumbed down, geeked up. First series was good, all downhill from there.

11 Dr T { 11.23.12 at 10:38 pm }

I still watch, but only because it’s mindless drivel that takes me away from the more stressful parts of my life… but it has become tedious this year.

Would prefer it if the beauties weren’t presented as stupid (I mean, they aren’t rocket scientists but I doubt they are as dumb as they are made out to be). And some of the geeks aren’t as socially inept as they are made out to be (I’m talking about people like Yiran, not the fake geeks)

12 Izobel2 { 11.23.12 at 11:03 pm }

Gee Dr T it’s like you’ve taken the words out of my head and wrote them all down for me. I agree EXACTLY with every word you typed.
I am still watching (and have watched all US versions that have been on in Aus and have watched all Aus eps) but this season has been the worst to watch. Every line is fed to them and it’s frustrating.
If they do another season it needs to be much better.
I also HATE the way the 4 questions are read at the end. Dodgy I reckon.

13 Eliza { 11.23.12 at 11:58 pm }

I agree, RR. For some reason I still watch but it’s definitely not as entertaining as past seasons. Kim sums it up for me as she always sounds like she is reading…from..a..tele..promptor. Don’t get me started on Alin. She has to be acting, right? The romances really seem fake, esp Rich and Greta. Don’t think he has mentioned her since she left. You’re right, CB the eps have been rather tedious and charmless. I don’t mind Kristy and Jason though so hope they win!

14 Stacey { 11.24.12 at 12:44 am }

I tuned out of this after the first episode, there’s just something about it that isn’t there this year.

15 ExEssex { 11.24.12 at 10:46 pm }

I gave up on this weeks ago. In the past it has always been fun and frivolous. This year it was just repetitive and boring.