Channel NINE Relying On Reality TV For Rating Bonanza In 2013

Channel NINE launched their 2013 schedule this morning in Sydney with reality TV being the back bone of their schedule, and it looking like a very solid line up indeed.

There were few surprises. Big Brother, The Voice, two series of The Block – one an All Stars season, and Celebrity Apprentice are back.

New to the channel is Australia’s Got Talent switching from Seven to NINE, The Great Australian Bake Off, and the US version of The Taste. The Taste looks like it has the greatest cast ever including Anthony Bourdain and Nigella Lawson, see previous blog post on the show and how it is the food version of The Voice.

TV Tonight has noted that Farmer Wants A Wife is not mentioned and is seeking confirmation that it has been dropped.

No judges were announced for The Voice or Australia’s Got Talent. Ricky Martin is meant to be getting The Voice chair that Kevin Urban vacated and there are no whispers on who is in or out on the re-jigged AGT.

For full information from the NINE Press release see below:

AUSTRALIA’S GOT TALENT

The world’s greatest talent search has found a new home. Australia’s Got Talent will be on Nine in 2013 with new hosts and judges and exciting talent to bring to the Australian audience. The global success of Got Talent has seen the format top the ratings in Britain, where a massive total of 13.8 million people watched the finale, the USA, New Zealand and scores of other territories around the world.

THE GREAT AUSTRALIAN BAKE OFF

The next global phenomenon is coming to Nine. Shane Jacobson and Anna Gare will host The Great Australian Bake Off, with Dan Lepard and Kerry Vincent joining them as judges in the search to find Australia’s Best Home Baker.

The ultimate kitchen battle is set to erupt when Nine serves up this brand new TV dish in 2013. Ten home baking enthusiasts will be put through a series of gruelling elimination challenges, baking a mouth-watering selection of cakes, pies, tarts, pastries, bread, biscuits and desserts, in the hope of being crowned Australia’s Best Home Baker.

THE TASTE

The ultimate taste sensation has arrived on Nine, with four superstar chefs, 16 cooks hungry to win – and every delicious morsel tasted blind! This program is all about the taste. One bad bite and the chefs could be sending their favourite cooks home.

Famed culinary experts Ludo Lefebvre and Brian Malarkey will join no-holds-barred chef Anthony Bourdain and British food star Nigella Lawson as mentors on The Taste.

Each of the four culinary superstars – Bourdain, Lawson, Lefebvre and Malarkey – will coach a team of four pro and amateur cooks chosen from a nationwide casting call as they vie to create the best tasting dish. The groups will face team and individual challenges with a variety of culinary themes through several elimination rounds. At the end of each episode the mentors will have to judge the competitors’ dishes blind, with no knowledge of whose creation they are sampling, what they are eating, how it was prepared or who they could be eliminating.

AND RETURNING TO NINE IN 2013

The ratings smash-hit of 2012, The Voice, is back with superstar coaches Seal, Joel Madden and Delta Goodrem in their red chairs again to discover Australia’s next Voice. And who will be the fourth coach of The Voice in 2013?

In 2013, there will be not one but two “Blocktastic” seasons. The Block All-Stars, back in Bondi where it all began 10 years ago, will feature four of The Block’s favourite couples – Phil and Amity (series 1), Mark and Duncan (series 3), Josh and Jenna (series 4) and Dan and Dani (series 5) – competing in an All-Stars version of the home renovation blockbuster.

Hosted by Scott Cam, with Shelley Craft, the four couples get a second chance at the top real estate prize on television when they renovate four heritage-listed Bondi cottages in record time – six weeks.

Then, later in the year, a new full series of The Block premieres with eight couples striving to win in 2013.

The Big Brother juggernaut stormed home on Nine this year, recapturing a whole new generation of Australian viewers.  In 2013, Big Brother will be back, hosted by Sonia Kruger, with new housemates, new tricks and new twists, brighter and more entertaining than ever.

In the third series of The Celebrity Apprentice, Mark Bouris returns to the boardroom as celebrities are in for the challenge and out of their comfort zones. In this crazy world anything goes in the name of charity. One by one the celebrities will be fired until one is crowned the celebrity apprentice of 2013.

Which of these shows will you be watching in 2013?

1 daisy { 11.27.12 at 3:42 pm }

Have loved Aussie Celeb apprentice. Loved (and loved to hate) the range of characters, good and evil. Deni was unspeakably vile, and great viewing.

2 daisy { 11.27.12 at 3:51 pm }

I will miss Farmer if they don’t bring it back. Perhaps a new improved match making programme might be popular. Maybe the Aussie Bachelor. Or a Match-making/cooking show …the best food or the prettiest girl (food v sex). Is the way to a man’s heart really through his stomach or does he really think with his nether regions?

3 daisy { 11.27.12 at 3:55 pm }

I don’t watch the Block because I NEVER want to watch people doing housework on TV. House work is something you have to do at home, not watch on TV. Maybe if the bring out an ironing reality show, or a watching the paint dry show. Also from the bits I have seen, the resulting decor looks a bit cheap and cheesy. Like what you can afford when you get your first flat when you’re at uni.

4 Anonymous { 11.27.12 at 4:14 pm }

Im glad Celebrity Apprentice is back. I love the dynamics of all the go-getting personalities. So many buttings of heads.

Daisy I love your idea about a food vs sex reality show. Farmer has run its course, we really do need a revamped match-maker show. Please Marry My Boy was ok but it wasn’t great.

5 Stacey { 11.27.12 at 4:15 pm }

That was me I don’t know why it came up anonymous.

6 bella vita { 11.27.12 at 5:04 pm }

Hence why Amity is already starting to book dates in Melb and Sydney for the mother, wife musical she has written and done in Adelaide. Her and Phil are just thinking kaching after this version of The Block.

Love Celeb Apprentice…here’s hoping they find some nut cases in this series who really get the claws out. Surely there are heaps of celebs out there who can’t stand each other.

Glad AGT hasn’t been axed. It does have a place in the market and at least Nine will use to their advantage without it having to go up against The Voice.

Ricky Martin. Love the guy…would be great to see his career kick off again…I’ve always been a huge fan and Australia was one of the biggest markets for him (well before the US with Maria and The Cup of Life)
Please someone tell Seal to stop being so touchy creepy this season. And Delta go away.

7 Carole { 11.27.12 at 5:11 pm }

I’ve never been into The Block or The Voice and never watched Australia’s Got Talent when on 7, so won’t bother with it on 9. I loved the Celebrity Apprentice shows, so will definitely watch that, and loved Big Brother too, despite arsehole Ben winning!!!!!! Will decide about Great Australian Bake Off when I see what else is on. If it clashes with too many other shows, I will give it a miss, same goes for The Taste.

8 daisy { 11.27.12 at 5:18 pm }

Stacey, maybe if we come up with a great idea here, the producers can use it and make pots of money. At least we’ll have a laugh. What could they call a dating show where there was a play off between sexual appetite and appetite for food?

9 daisy { 11.27.12 at 5:21 pm }

I want our talent judging panels to be made up of our own Aussie talent.

10 daisy { 11.27.12 at 5:24 pm }

Who would you like battling it out in the love/hate Celeb Apprentice areana?

11 A.P { 11.27.12 at 5:47 pm }

I will probably watch them all except for The Block and The Voice, I hate renovation shows and after the novelty wore off after the blind auditions in The Voice I found it very boring.
Celebrity Apprentice was great and I will tune in to Big Brother if only to see if they improve the calibre of the contestants after all our suggestions from the last season.
I tend to think now that it was rigged from the start to let Ben win so he could propose to his boyfriend at the end. Apparently the producers knew he was going to do that all along.
The Taste sounds interesting as we’ve been saying all along that Masterchef should have blind tastings so they don’t favour the contestants they like the best or who they think will make good tv.
Won’t miss Farmer in the least, Bachelor Australia probably wouldn’t work here like the American version.
DAISY, go to left of screen to Celebrity Apprentice to read all the comments about series 1 with Deni Hines, she attracted so much controversy here! I loved that show, the first one especially!

12 daisy { 11.27.12 at 5:56 pm }

Thanks AP. WIll do that. I was googling about Deni and reading the reactions but I hadn’t discovered RR back then.

13 A.P { 11.27.12 at 5:59 pm }

I only discovered RR by accident when Celebrity Apprentice was on.
I googled ” comments about Deni Hines ” and all this great stuff came up at RR and I’ve been hooked ever since!

14 Eliza { 11.27.12 at 6:13 pm }

Daisy, did you watch Dinner Date that was hosted by Manu? That show was so bad that it was hilarious. It used to come on after something that I watched and it was the type of show that I would constantly whinge about but kept watching. I remember one of the commentators on this site used to mention how Manu always appeared drunk as he did his to camera pieces.. I think it may have been BDD?! If you can come up with something like that, but even better you’d definitely have my attention!

It would have to have a really lame but somehow tempting name like “Appetite for Love”..

15 brain dead dave { 11.27.12 at 6:21 pm }

“Lust Or Lard”
“Pussy Or Palate”
“Poon Or Spoon”

That would have been me, thanks, Eliza. Since then Manu’s alcohol fueled escapades have not abated.

16 Lebay { 11.27.12 at 6:36 pm }

Hubby works for one of the suppliers on The Block and has made a few deliveries to them (to a couple I do NOT like) He says it looks like a typical disaster area… Keith the Site Foreman confiscated his mobile so he could not take pics…. Looking forward to that GO MARK AND DUNCAN for the win!

17 PollyB { 11.27.12 at 7:31 pm }

All I ever wanted was Amity to dry up! But I will check it out.

18 daisy { 11.27.12 at 8:59 pm }

BDD@15 LOL: Thought you might have a few poignant suggestions.

19 daisy { 11.27.12 at 9:02 pm }

Eliza@14 no I missed it. But sounds like I might have cringed through it.

20 daisy { 11.27.12 at 9:05 pm }

One of my absolute least favourite people on TV is Karl Stephanovic. I think he is stupid and vain…a very bad combination….a real dick. So, although I usually turn him off, I might like to see him make a dick of himself on Celeb.

21 daisy { 11.27.12 at 9:09 pm }

Celeb suggestions: Barry Jones, Georgie from the Today, Brynne Eggleston. For a cross section.

22 A.P { 11.27.12 at 10:53 pm }

Ooh yes Eliza @14, that Dinner Date was an awful show but Manu probably made a heap of money for basically doing nothing, just lending his voice and we couldn’t understand him anyway!
Grant Hackett, Marcia Hines ( to see how different she would handle things to Deni ), Sonia Kruger might be good celebrities, at least choose someone we all know well.

23 Eliza { 11.28.12 at 12:03 am }

A.P – Manu probably couldn’t understand himself the way he dribbled on!!!!! I remember thinking “how drunk will Manu sound on tonight’s ep?”. He probably needed to drink his way through it.. thinking of the extra cash would have helped, too.

Daisy – I share your dislike for Karl but agree, he could be good viewing on Celeb Apprentice. I don’t understand how some people stomach him first thing in the morning.. errghhh

24 Stacey { 11.28.12 at 11:57 am }

I remember that show Dinner Date, I actually really liked it. It was always on a tuesday at like 9.30 when nothing else was on. Although I don’t like Manu at all, I liked that it was a different dating experience for TV. The whole ‘Farmer’ thing never grew on me so I liked the cooking connection. The Brit version was better though.
Also Daisy, my mum and I have a running joke about how much we can’t stand Karl Stefanovic. He’s hilariously douchie. And would be the absolute perfect contestant on Celeb Apprentice, provided he didn’t win of course. Which reminds me, RR do you know if they’re ever going to do another season of regular Apprentice?

25 Reality Raver { 11.28.12 at 12:57 pm }

Stacey – no regular Apprentice in the pipeline.

26 daisy { 11.28.12 at 3:34 pm }

Stacey, Karl win apprentice?????? How would he do that??? But he again he won a logie. Who could like him? I think he’s the WORST. How is that horrendous cheesy ‘look at me, aren’t I handsome’ grin that he does when he poses for the camers. I can only imagine that he’d be a conceited idiot. You could put him on with Mel from Sunrise and she could turn her tilt her head and do fake empathy. Mel, my second WORST. Lucky we don’t have interactive TV and these presenters can live happily under their little illusion of how fabulous they are because of their fat paychecks. I love the Larry Emdur because he is a dag in a good way. He’s really funny and does look like Alice from the Brady Bunch.

27 Carole { 11.28.12 at 7:09 pm }

Um, I like Karl. (hides face) But I did get pissed of with him when he slagged off Meat Loaf a while back!!!!!

What’s the betting that one of the Big Brother house mates is on Celeb Apprentice? They had the guy from Amazing Race last time, so I wouldn’t be surprised. Just as long as it isn’t fucking Ben!!!!!!! I couldn’t stand to have to put up with his bitchy backstabbing on my TV again, he would ruin another of my favourite shows. George, being a millionaire and businessman would be a good contestant for that. He would have some business sense, which would be a good fit for it.

28 daisy { 11.28.12 at 11:34 pm }

Carole, interesting theory but I don’t know if I could see any of them having all of the necessary qualities. I didn’t think Michael seemed as smart as he claimed to be. They were all a bit immature. Maybe Ray might have what it takes.

29 Ruby { 11.29.12 at 2:36 am }

Nooooo, not Ricky Martin….he is so yesterday !!!!!!!!!! Couldn’t we get Farnsey?????????????

30 Carole { 11.29.12 at 6:46 am }

Yeah that’s true Daisy, they were all pretty immature. Ray would be pretty good.

31 daisy { 12.02.12 at 11:14 pm }

Ruby@29 Yesterday is putting it mildly.

As for Celeb Apprentice; I wouldn’t mind Joe Hilderbrand being given a shot. He’s smart and funny in a nice daggy way. And I wonder how Ita would go. Maybe she’d be too experienced and have too many powerful connections. Maybe Kath from Kath and Kim.