So You Have A Reality Show Idea?

At some stage a lot of people say “oh that would be a great idea for a reality TV show” well now they have the opportunity to get their idea heard.

TV Tonight says that Talpa, a Dutch company that were behind the format The Voice is holding an online initiative to allow people to submit their reality TV ideas.

If they like it they will then invite you in to discuss it to see if it is possible to turn into a format.

If you feel you do have a concept go here to submit it.

1 A.P { 11.27.12 at 10:58 pm }

Daisy and Stacey, now’s your big chance to submit your new reality show food vs sex idea!

2 daisy { 11.27.12 at 11:35 pm }

OK it’s “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” v “a man thinks with his nether regions” or appetite for food v appetite for a hot girl. What does the man really want? or what is better, sex or food?
BDD has the funniest titles so far.

3 Culinary Boner { 11.28.12 at 11:06 am }

The problem with most reality shows is that they don’t serve any true community purpose. Which is why slobs like Mr & Mrs Boner would like to see “Ultimate Clean-off” – a reality show in which obsessive compulsive clean freaks and hygiene nazis get to compete against each other for a measly $50K (plus ceremonial duster) whilst cleaning, tidying and organising places like mine.

4 Joseph Skyrim { 11.28.12 at 11:12 am }

Ooo, this looks interesting. Thanks for the link RR! I’ll see if I can come up with anything! 😀

5 Stacey { 11.28.12 at 11:44 am }

Haha AP I thought the same thing! So, we’ve got the food v sex idea, how the hell do we format it! Would it be more a cooking show or a dating show? How would they decide? Is the target audience men or women or both? Ahhhh ideas!

6 daisy { 11.28.12 at 3:00 pm }

So the ‘plain irl cooks a tantalizing meal while the other girls “dresses up”. Which one can tempt him for the date? Both girls present themselves/their offering and the guy gets 3 mintues to choose. You can have 3 guys per night. To keep it PC you can reverse the genders but then that doesn’t fit with the concept …The way to a man’s heart.

7 Joseph Skyrim { 11.28.12 at 3:13 pm }

Hmm where is this based RR? My favourite part of the terms and conditions are:

“Dutch law applies to these terms and conditions. If I believe that I have a claim against Talpa on the basis of the said law, I must bring the matter before the District Court of Amsterdam.”

8 daisy { 11.28.12 at 3:14 pm }

Or three girls cook and present themselves and their meal, The guy (who doesn’t know who cooked what), picks his date based on the food presented. Again gender reversed if need be.

9 daisy { 11.28.12 at 3:19 pm }

Another idea : The Amazons. A cross between, wipeout, the Bachelor, the Amazing Race and Survivor. A rally of women competing in feats of endurance to win the man. The survival of the fittest.
A bit like a sale for bridal outfits, in fact that could be one of the contests. And maybe the man/men can be encouraging (or hindering them) along the way. Some sabotage might be included.
“Get me to the church on time”

10 Reality Raver { 11.28.12 at 3:28 pm }

Joseph – Talpa are a Dutch company. They are only opening up contest to Australian’s and Dutch. The risk is that they take your idea and don’t acknowledge it and then you have to duke it out in a dutch court of law. However they do appear to be kosher

11 A.P { 11.29.12 at 9:52 am }

I liked BDD’s original idea from before when he came up with ” Sing for your Supper Fatties “, which was a cross between The Biggest Loser, The Voice and Masterchef. I think it could work!
And who could forget JStar’s ” Masterchef the Musical” ?

12 Georgie { 11.29.12 at 11:10 am }

How about My Bucket List. The producers could play with back stories to their hearts content and we could see people work toward realising each item on their list.

13 daisy { 11.29.12 at 8:55 pm }

How about “High School Reunion” or “The one that got away” where people catch up with the lost love of their lives and see if the spark is still there or how hideuous they both have become. OR Instead of Farmer wants a wife …Poppy wants a new Nanna. They could chase each other around with their zimmer frames.

14 Joseph Skyrim { 11.30.12 at 8:57 am }

Hmm the more I read their terms the less I’m inclined to do anything though. No mention of what’s in it for people that suggest formats at all so it sounds like they’re just out of ideas and want to pilfer what people offer. Looks like I’ll be giving this a miss after all. 😛

15 Daisy { 12.16.12 at 2:06 pm }

This morning on Sunrise I watched a good team up that included James Percival, James Morrison in the lead and Mahalia (Jimmy B’s daughter and Pretty). It was good to see that the talent wasn’t going to waste. They sang the Joe Cocker song, “Unchain my heart”.
It was good to see them working together but it got me thinking; although I have often watched talent shows, I never, ever buy or listen to music by ANY artists from these shows. It’s too boring to me.
I prefer music that’s a lot leass mainstream. I like music from over the decades such as Django Rheinhart, Papa John Creach but there is also a lot of other music out there that most people don’t get to hear.
One of the perks of travelling around is that you get great books, and music. You can often find trendy little music stores where if you take the time to listen to a few CDs you will hear some fantastic music from around the world (not Eurovision) but all kinds of lounge music, fusion and ethnic. Not all ethnic music is weird. Some of it is reallybeautiful.
Getting to the point. My idea for a talent show would be that the acts were not allowed to be mainstream. And I don’t mean therefore they were allowed to be bad. Just not music that woiuld be heard on mainstream radio. Sometimes on Spicks and Specks they have also had some unusual and talented performers.

May I add at this point because I don’t know where else to write it. On a completely non TV related subject but in case anyone would like to try them “mop slippers”. Google them. you can get them for about $5. They are great for either people who don’t want to mop or for people who have shoes a shoes off inside policy. I have mine lined up for all my visitors to wear. I don’t sell them so there’s no vested interest for myself.

16 Daisy { 12.16.12 at 3:34 pm }

And I don’t mean like Pop Asia which is quirky but still just mostly like US pop or rap.