NOW CASTING: Do You Want To Be On River Cottage Australia?

Lifestyle Channel have announced an Australian version of River Cottage called River Cottage Australia of course.

They even have managed to nab Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall who is the face to the UK production and they are looking for people who want to be Hugh or Hughettes on the show. So if you are into sustainable lifestyles and/or farming this is the show for you.

This is a great show for Lifestyle and it will definitely be watched in this household, but I have to confess in large doses I do find Hugh a bit too earnest and right on.

If you want to go on the show apply here.

Here are further details about the show:

Foxtel and The LifeStyle Channel today announced the commissioning of new local production, River Cottage Australia, the first international version of the hugely successful series, co-produced by Granada Media Australia and Keo Films.

Mentored by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, River Cottage Australia will search for the new ‘Aussie Hugh’ – testing their knowledge of food, enthusiasm for all things wild and local, and resilience in setting up a sustainable farm in the Australian countryside.

Duane Hatherly, General Manager, LifeStyle Channels and Head of Production said: “The River Cottage Australia commission adds a new and incredibly exciting venture to the LifeStyle Channel’s robust production slate.

The Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s series is a brand defining, tent-pole franchise on The LifeStyle Channel and we know that Australian’s are as passionate about the River Cottage ‘back to basics’ approach to seasonal cooking and local produce as he is.”

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall said: “It’s brilliant to be taking River Cottage Down Under. Australia’s a country I have long wanted to get to know. We’ve had some lovely Aussies visit us here at River Cottage in Devon and it’s high time I repaid the compliment.

“I know there are great things happening with local, seasonal wild foods and I can’t wait to tap into them. And I’m looking forward to meeting some Aussie Hughs. At least I think I am!”

Fearnley-Whittingstall will visit Australia for the first time when production commences in early 2013.

The search for the new Hugh is underway. For application details visit www.lifestyle.com.au.

In 2013 River Cottage Australia will join a stellar line-up of local productions on The LifeStyle Channel including Come Dine With Me Australia, Selling Houses Australia and Location Location Location Australia.

1 Culinary Boner { 11.30.12 at 10:19 am }

Woo hoo… I loves Hugh’s shows, especially the fishing one he did a few years ago.
Sure he can come across as a bit of a self-righteous prat sometimes but, like Jamie Oliver, he’s passionate about good, honest home-grown and home-made food. And he’s an dedicated omnivore – none of this vegan b/shit or faddish health-nut stuff* for him. Hell, he even brews beer with stinging nettles – River Cottage Stinger Organic Ale.

* I’m looking at you Pete Evans. Alkalised water? FFS!? – http://www.apswater.com/article.asp?id=198&title=Alkaline_Water_Hoax_-_It_Is_Simple_Science.

2 Lebay { 11.30.12 at 6:47 pm }

I love Hugh and River Cottage, this is awesome news!

3 buzzy { 12.03.12 at 10:34 am }

Not sure it is ground-breaking. Gourmet Farmer on SBS is fairly similar sans contestants

4 Reality Raver { 12.03.12 at 11:49 am }

Buzzy – Good point Gourmet Farmer is very similar.

5 Culinary Boner { 12.03.12 at 12:19 pm }

The problem with Gourmet Farmer (though I only watched Series 1 in bits and pieces) was that Matt Evan’s motivation to ‘connect with the land’ and small-scale farm production came across as a self-conscious, mid-life crisis ‘escape’ the equivalent of joining the Foreign Legion. A form of self-flagellation that he seemed almost embarrassed about while projecting all the personality and enthusiasm of Marvin the Paranoid Android* from the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series.

* “Pardon me for breathing, which I never do any way so I don’t know why I bother to say it, oh God, I’m so depressed.”
“Well I wish you’d just tell me rather than try to engage my enthusiasm.”
“Wearily I sit here, pain and misery my only companions.”
– Marvin the paranoid android The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Hopefully Matt perked up in the 2nd series, though he’d already lost me.

6 William chippendale { 01.24.13 at 10:07 pm }

Hi I’m a skipper and diver on the Great Barrier Reef , we dive and catch Crays by hand and export to china live….. Can’t get any better then this.
I’m confident we have a story for your Aussie show.
Call me
Will Chippendale

7 Daisy { 01.24.13 at 10:51 pm }

Welcome Back CB. We missed you. I hope you had a great holiday.

8 A.P { 01.25.13 at 8:33 am }

Don’t think he’s back Daisy, its an old post going by the date.

9 jim bromley { 02.21.13 at 9:12 pm }

I’m a BIG fan of River Cottage and Hugh. I would love to meet him when he comes to Australia.I’m an expat pommie recently retired and have embarked on a mission to teach myself to cook. Hugh would be a great mentor and educator as I try simple food to start with.

10 andrew mccosker { 02.27.13 at 5:09 pm }

I live on the south coast at Moruya on a couple of acres and attempt , with Hugh’s inspiration, to harvest and grow all I can. I have an “R” licence and do as much fishing and hunting as I can and use all I can as well as raising animals. So Bring on River Farm Cottage Australia!