Big Brother: Channel NINE Director Of Development Says There Will Be More Diversity In 2013

The rejigged Big Brother was a success for Channe NINE this year albeit it did come with some criticism that there was a lack diversity in the casting.

Adrian Swift, the Director of Development for Channel NINE, spoke to TV Tonight and said next year there would be more diversity in casting for the show.

TV Tonight writes:

One of Swift’s successes this year was the return of Big Brother, which required a reboot of audience perceptions. While the show performed well in demographics there was some criticism from long-term, passionate fans. Now the show is renewed, Swift has some good news for those looking for more dimensions to the social TV experiment.

“I think we will broaden out the demo of the contestants. We really needed to redefine the show and keep it safe, fun and young. We were very disciplined about how we made it, what we said and who we cast. But I think next time we can afford to cast a little bit more widely.”

Does that also include more multicultural representation?

“We got a bit of criticism for that but George was Greek-Lebanese, which was interesting culturally. Ava was part Sri-Lankan from memory [RR’s Note: Ava was Mauritian]. But at no point did we ever say ‘Let’s cast whiter.’ We looked at all sorts of people and I can genuinely assure you of this: the people we ended up with were cast because they were the best housemates. We actually wanted to cast a bit wider but in the end we said ‘Right what we need to get in this first reiteration of the show are the best possible housemates,’” he insists.

“But I think next year we will go broader.”

Adrian Swift in the interview also talks about the move from factual reality to shows that are watched live or live as. He discusses The Voice and new judge Ricky Martin, and also how Channel NINE try to keep it authentic in their reality genre. Go here for the full interview

1 brain dead dave { 12.05.12 at 11:46 am }

Pig’s arse.

2 Culinary Boner { 12.05.12 at 12:09 pm }

So when they fill out their EEO return, what nationality will they declare Surly as?

3 daisy { 12.05.12 at 12:10 pm }

I think it’s more racist to assume that diversity automatically comes from race. I think a persons experiences ie their career, interests and pursuits, level of affluence, struggles, as well as their character and sense of humour defines them more than their race. Note : people in last BB didn’t even realise that there had been some ethnic diversity (Ava and George). I want to see the idea of diversity to go beyond just ethnicity.

4 Mahlia { 12.05.12 at 12:21 pm }

What Daisy said.

Cultural diversity doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll have a diversally interesting cast. They need to look at background and personality to fill that brief first.

5 Reality Raver { 12.05.12 at 12:21 pm }

Daisy – Good point.

CB – It would depend on which Surly they put on their EEO return as apparently there were about five of them.

6 Culinary Boner { 12.05.12 at 12:32 pm }

*winks* raver, that means they’ll declare Surly the Armenian Fishwife, Token Indigenous Surly, Surly the Hermaphrodite Bisexual (on loan from Ajay), His Esteemed Surliness Chinese Surly the Local Party Official, Surly the Albino Beautician from the Shire and Bogan Surly the Hoon from Macquarie Fields. That should tick the diversity box.

7 Trent { 12.05.12 at 12:33 pm }

Interestingly Ava and George were the two blandest housemates out of the lot.

8 Picnic { 12.05.12 at 2:34 pm }

LOL CB
good point Trent

9 brain dead dave { 12.05.12 at 3:17 pm }

Love your “puff piece” on $urly , Boner. Agree with Trent, though Zoey effortlessly managed a high level of blandness to the bitter end.

Cannot believe that this show is still out in front on RR’s poll. I voted for The $hire.

10 A.P { 12.05.12 at 4:39 pm }

Surely you didn’t vote for The Shire BDD!
I agree Zoe was so bland, as was George. Hopefully next time we get a much wider range of contestants.
I noted that Adrian Swift said he wants to keep the show ” young “. Does he think anyone over 32 is old?
Try something different Adrian and make half the house over 35, these people still have a lot to offer and will make an interesting mix of people of all walks of life.

11 daisy { 12.05.12 at 5:37 pm }

I wouldn’t mind if there was an incontinent, farting, bone picking granny.

12 Reality raver { 12.05.12 at 5:38 pm }

GeoRge and Ryan were the blandest to me.

13 brain dead dave { 12.05.12 at 5:47 pm }

Adrian’s contention that these were the best possible housemates make me fear for his sanity. It’s like Basil Fawlty telling you his place is the finest hotel in Torquay.

Yes, A.P. RR’s poll hasn’t included Being Lara Bingle , it’s a tragedy that no one has noticed. Maybe it doesn’t qualify as reality tv , just plain garbage.

Lara Bingle then The $hire on Tues nights . Good times.

14 Reality raver { 12.05.12 at 5:56 pm }

BDD. Lol I had not noticed but never fear I will put it up on mg worse reality tv show of the year poll which will be up later this evening.

15 A.P { 12.05.12 at 7:28 pm }

Daisy LOL, that I would like to see! Maybe a dirty old grandad as well and wait for the spooning to begin!
CB, you are so funny and how sweet of you to think of poor Surly, how I miss him! ( noticed you got Ajay in there somehow! )
BDD, yes I forgot about Lara Bingle but The Shire might just take out the prize for the worst reality show ever.

16 daisy { 12.05.12 at 8:37 pm }

Oh! The producers claimed they had Ava and George as culturally diverse but I think they forgot the pommie girl. However I don’t think that made them particularly diverse.
AP I’d love to see the giant Nanna and Poppy undies on the line. And they could dish out lots of advice like cover your back or you’ll get a chill in your kidneys. And they could teach the youngun’s to appreciate lamb’s fry. Sorry oldies for being ridiculously agist.
Maybe they could have a 70yrold body building Nanna who still looks hot in a bikini.

17 Morgan { 12.05.12 at 8:39 pm }

I’ll believe it when I see it.

18 Carole { 12.05.12 at 8:40 pm }

Isn’t that what they said for this year’s series? I’ll believe it when I see it.

19 A.P { 12.05.12 at 10:14 pm }

Anything is possible!

20 Ari { 12.06.12 at 12:19 pm }

Agree with Daisy. Cultural diversity means nothing to me if those contestants have the same old lives as everyone else. There not only needs to be more cultural/racial diversity, but more sexual diversity (gay, lesbian, pan, etcetera), diverse personalities, diverse careers, diverse GAMEPLAY because the only person I was interested in was Ben for his strategic way of playing. If they’re just going to cast the same old “here for the fun!!!” contestants I’ll seriously be bored. The producers had a huge opportunity to cast really interesting intruders that would stir the game, instead Ava and Sam were probably two of the most bland contestants on the show.

The producers need to see that this game is also about strategy and not just happy or dramatic personalities. I would like to see young people with good careers like lawyers, doctors and architects. More than one gay contestant would be cool. Eye-candy is a definite requirement. Different races (black, Asian contestants). Religious diversity (a bit risky maybe but it could really work). Age diversity is good too. But all in all strategy, background, character and personalities would really improve the game. I got too tired with the producers trying to create drama after drama. It got quite old.