The Christmas Food Specials Are Starting And Lifestyle Food Has Some Good Ones

Christmas is the time of year that can be great for some people and not so good for others. Having children it is compulsory to partake in the festivities unless you are willing to pay for years of therapy in their teens.

One aspect of Christmas I don’t mind is the Christmas cooking specials and they have well and truly started on television.

Lifestyle Food has some great shows coming up.

Perennial favourite Jamie Oliver is back starting tonight in the first of two Christmas specials. The viewer also gets  to see his daughters Poppy and Daisy. Jamie’s Best Ever Christmas airs Wednesdays, December 5 and 12 at 8.30pm.

The DC Cupcakes Christmas special will definitely be recorded for the kids in our house, with Sophie and Katherine having to build a six-foot tall nutcracker. DC Cupcakes will be screened on Friday, December 7 at 8.30pm.

As will the special Christmas episode of Cupcake Wars which is on Friday, December 14 at 8.30pm. Can neither confirm or deny whether I have seen every episode of this show.

Other shows that may interest you are Lyndey’s Cracking Christmas. In two half-hour episodes, Lyndey will take her favourite classic and more contemporary recipes and reveal the secrets and shortcuts to whipping up some last minute Christmas dinner. This airs Mondays, December 10 and 17 at 8.30pm.

Sophie Grigson, food writer and cook , four episodes of My Christmas Kitchen. On day one she serves up an alternative Christmas day menu, on day two she cooks a festive Moroccan inspired menu, on day three she serves up simple but delicious Christmas party dishes, and on day four she cooks her favourite Boxing Day dishes to make the most of festive left-overs. You can see this one on Thursday, December 11, to Friday December 15, at 6.30pm

The Hairy Bikers  appear to be the male culinary equivalent of The Two Fat Ladies.  There’ll be booze and plenty of indulgent food at the Hairy Bikers Christmas Party. Si and Dave visit specialists – including a canapé champion and an expert in delectable desserts – to discover the secret of making your festive ‘do’ go with a bang. They also take on the daunting task of designing and building the centrepiece for their party, a vodka ice luge,(not sure if you should try this one at home). This premieres Thursday, December 13 at 8.30pm.

Also Ina Garten will be in Barefoot Christmas in London, where she explores the London food scene on a festive trip with husband Jeffrey. Then, inspired by her delicious discoveries she parties with a British twist back home in East Hampton. This premieres Wednesday, December 19 at 8.30pm.

Finally Michelin star chef, Raymond Blanc makes a Christmas feast, with a French twist in Raymond Blanc’s Christmas Feast. This airs Thursday, December 20 at 8.20pm.

All of these shows are on Lifestyle Food.

Do you have any favourite TV chefs that you like to watch at Christmas? Do you like or loathe Christmas?

1 Culinary Boner { 12.05.12 at 8:45 am }

I just love paint-yourself-into-a-corner show titles like “Jamie’s Best Ever Christmas”. So does this mean next years’s will be called “Jamie’s Best Ever Christmas Since the Last One” or will they get honest and call it “Jamie’s Annual Christmas Cash-in, featuring Jules and the Tin Lids: Lovely Jubbly, where’s the sherry?”.

Though on the cooking front one of these a few years ago featured what appeared a sensational way of cooking turkey so it’s not the usual chewy, dried out shite that would be wasted for an Aussie summer Xmas but which I’ve always wanted to do for Christmas in July. Must get off my arse and make it next year.

2 Reality Raver { 12.05.12 at 10:39 am }

CB – Well there are only so many Xmas dishes. It must be difficult to give it a different razzle each year.

3 daisy { 12.05.12 at 9:24 pm }

I love my family but cooking, serving, cleaning up at Christmas is so much work that we often opt for get-away Christmases. We have a nice housewith a pool on the beach that we hire for a week and all share the load in a way that doesn’t happen when it’s at one person’s house. I told this to a friend and now she is hiring a houseboat in which she can cruise the Blackwood River for a week. The emphasis being on leisure. We have a lot of creative cooks but for Chrissie we’ll keep it simple, eg Barbie and salads but maybe with an Asian or Mediterranean twist. Might sound like an expensive Christmas, booking a holiday and it is but only the kids get pressies. The rest of us don’t care.

4 Lebay { 12.06.12 at 7:25 am }

Normally I love Christmas, but this year will be our first without grandparents, and it just won’t be the same :(

I love the Christmas cooking specials, Love the river cottage one, even the one I have seen for the past 5 years with the 10 bird roast, I was even excited when I saw that Aldi have a frozen 3 bird roast….. I can pretend!

5 Reality Raver { 12.06.12 at 7:59 am }

Daisy – I think your Christmas sounds relaxing and fun.

Lebay – That is sad that this will be the first without grandparents. What is the Aldi frozen 3 bird roast is it a turduken?

6 A.P { 12.06.12 at 9:19 am }

I used to like Christmas too LEBAY but after losing my parents two weeks apart 5th Dec, 19th Dec and my father in law a few years later 22nd Dec, I feel that December is cursed for our family. My mum’s birthday was 23rd December also.
Once the kids are grown up and all grandparents gone it definitely doesn’t seem the same to me.
Usually we just stay home and have cold meats etc and salads and relax for the day, sounds like you have the best idea Daisy!

7 daisy { 12.06.12 at 11:09 am }

AP If you don’t like December 25th what about having a different Christmas. Last year we had our Christmas day on the 26th. You can have Christmas any day you want. We live on an acre so we put the wading pool out and made a water slide across the lawn. In the evening the my sons pitched a tent and theyslept in that with the grandkids. Just for fun. Swings and Nanna swing in back yard. Everyone brings food, but it’s bloody hard work for me. Looking forward to next years holiday home Christmas.

8 daisy { 12.06.12 at 11:14 am }

Check out where my friend is going. Check out Blackwood river houseboat cruises in Augusta WA. Youu drive it yourself and have lots of stop-offs to visit. Mandurah has them too but it’s too suburban now. I bet my friend won’t be too worried about the food. They might catch a fish and cook it. I like EEEEasy Christmases.
AP alsoif you change your Christmas day it can be a lot cheaper.

9 Daisy { 12.16.12 at 1:44 pm }

After yesterday’s shock killings in the US, this Christmas I am reminded to spare a thought for the families of the vicitms, and all families everywhere who will have missing loved ones, or live in terrible circumstances. A prayer, or a momen’ts silence.

10 Daisy { 12.16.12 at 3:31 pm }

And wishing you all a happy and safe Christmas.