Mel Greig Speaks Out About The Prank Phone Call

The DJ’s involved in the prank phone call which resulted in a nurse killing herself have spoken out on A Current Affair last night.

As expected both Mel Greig (who was a contestant on The Amazing Race Australia) and Michael Christian are shattered by the events that unfolded.

Debate will continue over whether anyone should be held accountable for this sad situation.

For full details on what the DJ’s said on ACA go here to watch the clip. Also SMH has the full details of the incident.

1 Play Nice { 12.11.12 at 1:08 am }

What a terrible situation for all involved

2 Carole { 12.11.12 at 10:22 am }

Yeah, I felt really bad for both of them. They were clearly devastated by the whole thing and filled with remorse. The people who made the decision to air it seem to have got off scott free.

3 brain dead dave { 12.11.12 at 11:57 am }

I wouldn’t mind if those baying for DJ blood killed themselves.

4 nanaliz { 12.11.12 at 12:29 pm }

The DJ’s are so young and inexperienced and seemed to be truly shattered by what has happened. There doesn’t seem to be any mention of the nurse who gave Kate’s report. Is she still employed? Is she getting support from the hospital etc? I was checking out posts on UK papers sites last night and there were several supposedly ex employees of the hospital talking about the harsh treatment of staff who make a mistake. Sounds like a feudal upper-class vs loley unwashed servants type system. After all the Lords and Ladies who get sick need that extra pampering. I really feel the DJ’s are just puppets to the upper echelon of the station.

5 A.P { 12.11.12 at 12:37 pm }

Yes, I would like to know more about the second nurse in question as well, it seems she has gone to ground.
The first nurse merely put the call through.
Even the information given by the second nurse was very general and seemed innocent enough.

6 brain dead dave { 12.11.12 at 12:39 pm }

Royal security isn’t all it’s claimed to be , by Jove. I was able to be unobserved ten or twelve feet from the Queen and Prince Phillip in an open topped limo a few years back. ER even made eye contact with me.

7 Carole { 12.11.12 at 1:38 pm }

Yeah, I’ve been wondering about the second nurse too, how she is feeling. For all we know, she may have had a go at the other nurse for putting the call through. It was rather embarrassing and humiliating for her. Other staff may have had a go at her too. As for the hospital saying they gave her ‘support’ and didn’t reprimand her, I say that is bullshit. It’s so easy to blame the DJ’s, they are an easy target because it’s their faces who were all over the media when it first happened. And the other people at the radio station who made the decision to air it have just hung them out to dry.

8 daisy { 12.11.12 at 2:35 pm }

I wonder if we will find out if there were other factors contributing to the nurse’s state of mind or emotional well-being at that time. That doesn’t diminish the responsibility of the radio station for acting illegally and without regard for others in their drive for $$$$$.
There was a US pranking show that was played overseas somewhere, I can’t remember the name, but like those UTube downloads, they involved producers terrifying the Bjeezus out of people. Seriously scary prolonged, well planned and executed pranks that could have ended up getting someone killed.

9 daisy { 12.11.12 at 2:38 pm }

My best prank was giving my husband and daughter raw, rather than boiled eggs to take to work/school….but that was an accident that they still like to taunt me about. Rolf was embarrassed in the staffroom and ‘said daughter’ came home with egg yoke running down her legs as it smashed in her bag on the way home. Terrible mother.

10 Reality Raver { 12.11.12 at 2:41 pm }

No winners in this situation now.

Daisy – Not sure if I was meant to laugh at your egg thing but did.

11 nanaliz { 12.11.12 at 2:44 pm }

Saw something on news about husband of Jacinta going to the hospital and there is now a trust fund been set up by hospital. Buying his silence me thinks.

12 daisy { 12.11.12 at 2:58 pm }

RR, that’s the trouble with me. You might never know when I am joking, even in real life, but I usuaally am, so when in doubt, grain of salt. When I am not joking I’ll have a soap box.

13 kess { 12.11.12 at 4:05 pm }

I live in the nurses world, the serious, professional, accountable,responsible world.
Dumbarse radio, and probably most people nowdays, live in another world.

The nurse’s state of mind being humiliated globally is perfectly understandable – without making her crazy, or previously upset or anything other than a dedicated serious professional.
It’s my theory that 20% approx of the population seriously take care of the rest, the 80% that either never think before they act or are too dumb to think.
I’m dumbfounded daily by how stupid and ignorant the general public are about anyone else or anything else but themselves.

14 Ethel { 12.11.12 at 5:16 pm }

Absolutely agree, Kess. Though I would in addition suggest that the general public are also astonishingly ignorant and ill-informed about themselves, also.

Comment no3 is deeply offensive, by the way, and in my opinion should be removed.

15 brain dead dave { 12.11.12 at 5:57 pm }

You made the choice to be offended, madam. It’s your funeral.

16 daisy { 12.11.12 at 6:06 pm }

BDD if you go to The Silk Caravan home page you will see a photo of me in Pushkar. Is that you next to me? Still fishing for the perfect image. Also Isobel (I think, it was) said don’t forget the sunnies.

17 daisy { 12.11.12 at 6:07 pm }

PS BDD I hope you don’t choose to be offended by the photo.

18 brain dead dave { 12.11.12 at 6:14 pm }

Considering how astonishingly ignorant and ill-informed I am, who knows – I might even kill myself,daisy.

I’ll read comment 14 again and bore myself to death.

19 daisy { 12.11.12 at 6:26 pm }

@18 I’ll choose to take that as a joke.

20 A.P { 12.11.12 at 7:09 pm }

Daisy, you could make a new reality show based on your exotic travels and buying for your shop, maybe you should pitch the idea?

21 daisy { 12.11.12 at 7:13 pm }

You just want to see Rolf and me fight.

22 daisy { 12.11.12 at 7:15 pm }

I could go on Dr Phil for my blogging addiction.

23 brain dead dave { 12.11.12 at 7:34 pm }

I’m addicted to Dr Phil…that’s my problem.

“Shallow brooks are the noisiest”