Madden Brothers Accused Of Selling Out To KFC

The Madden Brothers have created a stir by aligning themselves with KFC. Apparently they have signed up for some new fangled campaign where they are writing songs, and selling KFC food.

Gone are the days when a celebrity would just front the camera take a bite of the product and then cash the pay cheque.

The big thing that has caused a stir about this campaign is not that they have sold out, as being a reality TV star is all about the product endorsements, which is why they are some of the highest earning entertainers in the world. The stir was created because they have done PETA ads.

PETA is an organisation which tries to promote the ethical treatment of animals, however they are best known for stunts like throwing flour on Vogue editor Anna Wintour, and getting celebrities, mainly female, to pose naked for them.

The Madden brothers at the time did not pose naked, but declared themselves vegetarians.

According to The Age they are vegetarian no longer, and have hitched their wagon the fast food chain.

It would be interesting to know if the boys had disclosed their PETA past to KFC.

The Age in their very good article points out The Madden’s were quite entrenched in their vegetarianism.

They write:

Good Charlotte have appeared at PETA award shows; they recorded a special version ofΒ Lifestyles of the Rich and FamousΒ for a PETA compilation CD; Joel was nominated for the title of world’s sexiest vegetarian by PETA and helped create vegetarian and vegan burritos for Denny’s restaurants; band members joined some of PETA’s 12,000 protests urging diners toΒ boycott, drum roll … KFC. Oh, and Benji once said, ”Animal rights is something God put in my heart”.

What other celebrity sell outs can you think of?

1 daisy { 12.14.12 at 2:56 am }

Disgusting, fatty, smelly, inedible, old poultry. Yuk!!!!
How can anyone eat that?

2 daisy { 12.14.12 at 2:58 am }

KFC might be humane ….their birds might have died a natural death ….old age.

3 Joseph Skyrim { 12.14.12 at 8:38 am }

Yum yum, just had KFC last night. I have no issues with their chicken, but their fries were way too soggy to be edible. Bleh. :(

Vegetarians must be super strong willed – I’ve tried vegey stuff and it just doesn’t cut it for me. Curious, what is PETA’s stance on egg consumption?

4 brain dead dave { 12.14.12 at 9:31 am }

Not long after they started here in SA , a KFC outlet was allegedly found substituting bunny wabbit for chicken. It was a classic catch.

Never understood the attraction for their nuggets. Knowing what goes into them, no thanks.

Not much of a jump from Good Charlotte to Food Harlot.

5 A.P { 12.14.12 at 9:37 am }

I don’t eat a lot of meat, if it was up to me the whole world would be vegetarian after the cruel way animals are treated.
To me it seems hypocritical to support PETA and then suddenly change your tune, all for the sake of a dollar.

6 Culinary Boner { 12.14.12 at 9:38 am }

The Maddens probably split with PETA when they found out the acronym doesn’t stand for Playmates for the Erotic Treatment of Ageing-rockstars and that most vegan chicks are in the spit-don’t-swallow camp.

7 Joseph Skyrim { 12.14.12 at 9:40 am }

Hehe isn’t rabbit more pricey? I had rabbit once, not bad but it was expensive since it was at a fancy shmancy place. Pretty sure it didn’t taste like chicken though. πŸ˜›

8 brain dead dave { 12.14.12 at 9:50 am }

At the time, pre Colesi virus , rabbit was much cheaper and the rabbit meat , particularly along the backbone is of a similar texture and colour to chicken.

Drown that in herbs and spices and who knows? Why even celebrated Ma$terchef contestant Irmgaard couldn’t tell lamb and beef apart.

9 Georgie { 12.14.12 at 10:00 am }

I’m with daisy. Fatty, smelly, greasy, soggy shite. It’s funny how the pictures of products like KFC and Macca’s look so fresh and inviting but after you’ve bought the stuff, the reality is very different. I’m always left with the thought – ‘why did I eat that!’

I was vegetarian for many years back in my hippy days and still make a lot of no meat meals.

CB that would qualify as an animal product so what else would you expect?

You’re right bdd, after going through the secret herbs and spices process you can’t tell what you’re getting. I’ve had rabbit a few times many years ago but they were always a bit scrawny in the meat department for me.

10 brain dead dave { 12.14.12 at 11:03 am }

Other celebrity sellouts , RR?

* Shane Warne being sponsored by and doing ads for Quit and consequently being filmed smoking.

* Jowl$y’s atrociously appalling Music From Another Platter CD’s. A total cash in on his – at the time – Gold Logie afterglow. Playing vocal music during a dinner party isn’t necessarily a good idea. With this release , Jowl$y lowered his credibility bar…again.

11 daisy { 12.14.12 at 11:15 am }

BDD@4 Good Charlotte to Food Harlot and Culinary @6 …..
good to wake up to your amazing and witty verbal gymnastics (the clever sort that do on the mat with silk ribbons and balls in between their acrobats). Take a flip in the air and a bow.

12 daisy { 12.14.12 at 11:34 am }

AP: visual building….saving the whales, saving the animals ….it’s going in. Standing up for the little guy.

13 JK { 12.14.12 at 11:54 am }

Good Charlotte boys must be getting some healthy dosh for some unhealthy food, and yes I do eat KFC.

14 daisy { 12.14.12 at 2:17 pm }

Depending on how much I was paid, I might be bought to eat a piece of their chicken, but it would have to be pretty good money.

15 brain dead dave { 12.14.12 at 3:05 pm }

I’d want extra not to throw it back up.

16 A.P { 12.14.12 at 6:22 pm }

Daisy, you’re slowly getting me with the clues! Yes, I love cats and dogs too, I think its terrible that people in China and other countries would eat them.
I’m not a complete vegetarian, don’t eat KFC but do have a Maccas or Hungry Jacks burger sometimes.

17 Stacey { 12.14.12 at 6:43 pm }

KFC is ok sometimes but theres no way you would ever endorse it if it weren’t for a large amount of money.

18 Helen { 01.29.13 at 9:24 pm }

I have never even heard of the Maddens, I’ve seen the ads and wonder what all the excitement is about when customers see the Maddens. KFC are pretty disgusting, when I do eat it (about twice a year) I feel yuk afterwards, very bad for our overweight society.

19 Elizabeth { 02.22.13 at 10:44 am }

Kfc is awesome and about the nuggets some guy saying about what goes into them – umm what year r u living in? They only use breast meat now and as for the chicken it comes from steggles and Ingam the same place u buy from supermarkets so get off ur high horses its the most popular chicken restaurant in the world and there’s nothing wrong with being paid to do a job jealous?

20 Elizabeth { 02.22.13 at 10:45 am }

I’m gonna go get myself some now three piece feed ftw

21 Georgie { 02.22.13 at 10:53 am }

I’ve never doubted that real chicken goes into their product, it’s the fat laden, dripping, oozing coating that is so unhealthy and turns my stomach. Yes you’re right, it’s a very popular food outlet and that’s why we have an obesity epidemic in western countries, with the highest rate of heart disease in the civilised world.

Enjoy!

22 Elizabeth { 02.24.13 at 11:55 pm }

Yeah moderation heard of it?

23 Blanco Version { 03.17.13 at 12:06 am }

Elizabeth – I’m guessing you’re about 15 years old, yes?

24 Helen { 03.17.13 at 1:35 am }

ELizabeth – I’m guessing you’re overweight, yes?

25 Ana { 03.17.13 at 1:40 am }

Joel Madden had an elephant at his wedding to Nicole Richie. Kind of obvious all of their animal rights stuff was for PR.