Pete Evans – Activating His Healthy Lifestyle Into An Organic Business

My Kitchen Rules judge, Pete Evans is turning his activated almonds lifestyle into a business model, by opening an organic health food business in Eastern Suburbs of Sydney.

Pete who created a internet sensation earlier this year with his Diet In A Day, with many people querying that he was taking the piss out of the weekly column. For the record he wasn’t joking he does eat like that. However he is about the only one who has done those diets where I would be interested in reading a week’s worth like NY Diets.

The Sunday Telegraph reports he is going to open an organics store in Bondi Junction which will included his own range of coconut water. He appears non-plussed about the response to his diet column.

The article states:

The former Hugos Bar Pizza owner and star of Seven’s My Kitchen Rules revealed he is opening a new organic food shop in Bondi Junction.

Evans has embarked on a diet that includes a daily serve of cultured vegetables such as kimchi, his own label of coconut water and organic produce, supplemented by wild-caught fish, grass-fed beef and no wheat or gluten.

He also has daily detoxifying “infa-red saunas” in a special box installed at his house and has lost five kilograms along the way.

But the chef, 39, has rejected criticism of his widely ridiculed “activated almonds” breakfast routine.

“I consider myself an educator about how we eat and what we should put in our bodies in a culinary sense,” he said. “And I think it’s great that we’re talking about this rather than Lara Bingle or something.”

Evans gained notoriety after appearing in a newspaper column in which he described his breakfast the previous day as: Two glasses of alkalised water with apple cider vinegar, then a smoothie of blended alkalised water, organic spirulina, activated almonds, maca, blueberries, stevia, coconut keffir and two organic, free-range eggs.

“I might have come across to some people as weird, and I think I was called a wanker, but it will take a lot more than that to dent my armour,” Evans said. “And I think all the reaction was brilliant. What I did was created debate about healthy eating and healthy drinking. I couldn’t have written a better script.”

Evans has become so devoted to the cause of organic eating that he has joined forces with Pete Melov, of the controversial Bondi Junction organics shop, The Suveran. The pair will open the new store, BU Organics, together on Monday. Melov was famously fined $183,000 last year for selling illegal raw milk.

Smart timing to launch the business as Pete is going to be Mr Everywhere for the next couple of months with the lead up to the launch of the fourth season of My Kitchen Rules.

My Kitchen Rules will screen on SEVEN early in 2013.

1 Stacey { 12.16.12 at 2:30 pm }

I cannot wait for MKR to start! Good on Pete for living a healthy lifestyle and not apologising for it. You can tell he and Manu put on quite a bit of weight when they film MKR so its not suprising that he does some kind of detox.
However, did he actually ever explain what the f*** activated almonds are?

2 A.P { 12.16.12 at 6:47 pm }

I don’t even understand it when I’m reading about it , let alone eat eating it!
Good job he’s not opening his organic food business in the Western suburbs of Sydney as he’d go broke.
I suppose the yuppies will like it .

3 Culinary Boner { 12.16.12 at 7:11 pm }

A.P.
As Boromir a.k.a. Lord Eddard Stark explains…

4 Culinary Boner { 12.16.12 at 7:32 pm }

“I consider myself an educator about how we eat and what we should put in our bodies in a culinary sense”… yeah well, that’s fine Pete but why then not just simply promote the benefits healthy eating of more vegetables and fibre prepared in a tasty manner rather than expensive quackery like alkalised water? Maybe if people just ate almonds – the cheap, unactivated variety – rather than be lectured about expensive fad products you might help achieve the worthy goal of improving the health of our society. Just a thought.

5 brain dead dave { 12.16.12 at 7:40 pm }

He’s an alkalised wanker, then.

Still a wanker.

6 reality Raver { 12.16.12 at 9:11 pm }

Well clever reality TV stars should always try and have some “merchandise” or “product” attached to them. I think the coconut water is quite clever considering it is the trendy drink of the moment.

7 reality Raver { 12.16.12 at 9:21 pm }

That was Lara Bingles stuff up NOT having a product to go with her show, though now she is putting out a lingerie collection.

8 Stacey { 12.16.12 at 9:31 pm }

Ironically Lara Bingle endorses coconut water also. She kind of promoted it on her show. She shouldve had her show filmed now during the design process of the lingerie line.

9 reality Raver { 12.16.12 at 9:46 pm }

Stacey – Oh that is true she appeared to have some share in the brand that was sold at boost juice?

Agree it would have given the show a plot line.

10 brain dead dave { 12.17.12 at 7:32 am }

Reputedly, coconut water contains no fat and wards off old age. Kind of explains the “trending” RR describes.

It’s been around for yonks in the tropics. One of the first things mentioned about it in Wiki is-

“However, marketing claims attributing tremendous health benefits to coconut water are largely unfounded”

Which is why wankers like Pete could use a kick in their activated nuts for medicine shows like this.

11 Georgie { 12.17.12 at 11:21 am }

Pete will be preaching to the converted in the Eastern Suburbs, but I get the impression he wouldn’t relate to average folk anyway. The likes of Lara will haunt his store though; I can just feel it in my coconut water.

I agree CB, an educator? If the healthy lifestyle message isn’t achievable and reaching the right audience then it’s a message wasted and the ever so ‘umble Jamie has already got this one covered.

12 Culinary Boner { 12.17.12 at 12:21 pm }

If only Biggest Loser was on Seven. *sigh*

Because a combo of Pete’s nut-juice and these miracle infra-red mumblers – http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health-fitness/dr-says-fat-melting-undies-pseudo-science/story-fneuzle5-1226536875198 – would work such wonders on the fatties.

Plus it’d save ’em the pain and humiliation of being forced by Commando to do 3000 push ups in the mud.

13 Littlepetal { 12.17.12 at 12:30 pm }

Activated nuts are expensive to buy but you can make them yourself. All you need to do is to soak the raw nuts for 4 -8hrs (depending on the kind of nuts you are using). You then need to put them in a dehydrator or in a low oven ( 50 -60C) for 12 hrs or more.

I know I am a sucker for healthy living and I have been eating them for a while now. Never bought them in the shops, too expensive.

Reason for activated nuts:

‘Well, usually nuts are full of enzyme inhibitors that prevent them from sprouting in dry conditions. So if you soak them, you fool the nut into starting to sprout – which is good because the sprouted form has nutrients that are more easily absorbed. (Those enzyme inhibitors can make digestion more difficult for us.)’

How true is this-I am not sure .

14 brain dead dave { 12.17.12 at 1:10 pm }

I’m okay with soaking my nuts in the bathtub but I’ll take a rain check on the dehydrator, thanks.

Good to hear from you, Littlepetal.

15 A.P { 12.17.12 at 1:16 pm }

Very funny BDD!
I couldn’t be bothered with any of that rubbish, whats wrong with just eating plain old nuts?
Also, how can Pete bear eating all the food the contestants dish up to be judged on MKR if he can’t eat “normal food”, does he go and throw up after?

16 Daisy { 12.17.12 at 2:47 pm }

Don’t care how Pete likes his nuts. There are worse crimes.
In the seventies I knew some annoying heaalth freaks. They were irritating because having turned vego, they had also turned somewhat sanctimonious, and were forcing not only their (actually delicious) food down our throats, but also their preaching. Now many of us eat the same foods without thinking it’s a big deal. Maybe one day we’ll all be enjoying Pete’s nuts and thinking nothing of it.
I find it more repulsive to see people enjoying, a fag for breakfast with their pie and coke. I won’t take the high road or the low road but enjoy my food on the middle ground but that’s just me.
If I was seriously ill, however, then I would probably be desperate enough to reconsider my dietry choices. The Pete’s nuts might look more appealing.

17 Culinary Boner { 12.17.12 at 3:32 pm }

Thanks for the recipe for activating my nuts littlepetal.
12 hours or more in the oven at 60C for a stash of almonds, eh?
To hell with the carbon emissions and hello rockin’ body.
The whole thing sounds so very Californian to me.
Oh hang on, this business is in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, isn’t it?

18 Culinary Boner { 12.17.12 at 3:40 pm }

Off topic, but most of us old farts remember the following joke when Grant Kenny and Lisa Curry first hooked up:
Q: What’s six inches long and smells of curry?

In light of today’s news I ask instead:
Q: What’s six inches long and comes in a Box?

19 Daisy { 12.17.12 at 4:25 pm }

6 inches? Culinary Boner, you are well informed!

20 Culinary Boner { 12.17.12 at 4:27 pm }

I’m being generous daisy

21 Culinary Boner { 12.17.12 at 4:34 pm }

Back on topic…

Note the comments about using the right type of salt:
“Anyway, they’re infused with Celtic sea salt (because it’s braver than regular Australian sea salt) …”

22 Sares { 12.17.12 at 4:45 pm }

Oh good on him- with all the publicity his activated nuts got recently he’d be an idiot not to capatalise on it!

(& also can’t wait for MKR to start)

23 Georgie { 12.17.12 at 5:28 pm }

#18 last Q – rofl CB, the answer could be just about any bloke.

24 brain dead dave { 12.17.12 at 6:20 pm }

What’s twelve inches long and hangs in front of a c**t?

Tony Abbott’s tie.

25 Georgie { 12.17.12 at 7:16 pm }

My partner loves Fifi so I just broke the news to him. I read your joke to him too bdd – very funny.

26 Stacey { 12.18.12 at 4:53 pm }

RR – Here’s her campaign for H2Coco. I think they showed the shoot on her show.