Project Runway Australia – The Underdog Won

Christina Exie tonight was the surprise winner of the fourth season of Project Runway Australia.

The 22 year old was not a favourite to win because her avant garde designs were not thought to be commercial enough. Also she had to fight her way back into the final in a challenge against Jordan as she had previously been eliminated.

Her original and well tailored collection beat the other finalist Leah, Tristan and Jamie. It was great to see last year’s judge Jarrad Clark as a guest judge he is a class act and certainly is was very enthusiastic about Christina.

One of the great things this show does do is pick winners on future potential as well, and Christina showed she definitely has the talent to have a successful career in the industry.

Her website is here.

Which persons collection did you like the best?

1 bella vita { 12.18.12 at 1:27 am }

Christina’s collection was something I’d use for carpet. The fact is the majority of Australian women (or even women around the world) would not wear her pieces…they are suited for print, not for sale.
I would have been pretty angry to be in the final 3, for someone else to come back in and win. Makes me wonder what’s in it for them, and why Alex chose Christina (when I personally thought Jordan was better last week)

I call conspiracy about Leah. Alex Perry obviously didn’t like her.While I didn’t like her personally, her collection was very tight, great pieces and commercial.
Both Jamie and Tristan had great stuff also that could be sold tomorrow.
Think it should go to public vote. No way Christina would have or should have won.

The show is a joke. I mean, where is Dylan from last year? At least Julie Grbac is still working and did the last lot of airline uniforms for Virgin or Qantas (from memory)

And Megan Gale is a horse. That is all.

2 Golo i Wesolo { 12.18.12 at 8:02 am }

@ 1: I thought Jordan’s was better too. I have no idea why Christina’s was chosen; perhaps to silence the feminists and keep the gender balanced in the final? Who knows.

When Alex said last week that “one of these collections had a slightly stronger signature,” I was almost certain he was referring to Jordan’s collection as he mentioned earlier that episode that Christina’s signature was lacking in her collection. As you could imagine, I could hardly believe it when hers was chosen over Jordan’s for her “stronger signature.” Wtf?

Something wasn’t right there.

3 JK { 12.18.12 at 10:44 am }

Checked out her website and Christina’s designs look pretty hardcore, it has a somewhat futuristic sass & bide feel to it. As with the fashion industry, it’s just recycled fashions.

4 Anonymous { 12.18.12 at 11:21 am }

I can’t imagine why anyone would want to buy her collection, as it was shown. It made tall slim models look four foot high and four foot wide. Odd, no-one mentioned that she showed a winter collection, also. Spewing she won.

5 Reality Raver { 12.18.12 at 12:03 pm }

Interesting also that her collection was made out of linen and had to be ironed 30 seconds before hitting the runway because it was so crushable. I think they might have picked her on promise and see her of the four to be able to go on to have a career. Leah’s were good but she is going to probably end in that wedding/evening gown track.

I did like the coat she made. The other contestants appeared shocked also.

6 Daisy { 12.18.12 at 12:09 pm }

I NEVER wear linen. Too hard to iron and wrinkles in seconds.

7 Rob { 12.18.12 at 12:51 pm }

Great work Richard Campbell, genius EP behind the likes of Excess Baggage, for messing up an otherwise promising show. Bring back booted contestants and let the least worthy win….what a concept! Worked so well on Biggest Loser that time, let’s just do that!

8 Gabby { 12.18.12 at 10:31 pm }

I don’t think it’s fair to the others that they bring back eliminated contestants. Once they have gone they are gone, I would be dirty to be beaten by someone that got a second chance.
Daisy, I love linen, live in linen pants. Call me mad!

9 Elizabeth Rock { 12.18.12 at 11:34 pm }

Never ever call Megan Gale a horse ever ever. It’s a joke.

10 Daisy { 12.19.12 at 12:06 am }

Gabby @8Now whenever I see someone wearing linen pants I will have to check…”Gabby? Is that you?

11 CollsBolls { 12.19.12 at 4:11 pm }

Loved the whole series, a bit disappointed with the result but I do have to admit that her style was very international. The ones that I like never win, at least my least favourite didn’t win which always seems to be the way!!

12 Gabby { 12.19.12 at 7:59 pm }

Daisy, well if they have a large arse, you never know, it very well may be me. I live on the Sunshine Coast, Qld. God’s own country. I will keep my eyes open for pervey women who are checking my linen daks out.

13 Carkly { 12.21.12 at 5:50 pm }

I love Megan gale I think she is stunning!!! But Christina winning this????? What an absolute load of shit. I looked at her website too, and no woman would wear that!!! Nobody!!! Maybe a whore in the next matrix who can’t keep her nipples in her shirt but VOMIT GROSS RIGGED FAIL!!!!!!!!!

14 Kim { 12.23.12 at 11:44 pm }

I thought Christina’s collection was UGLY. I honestly thought it was a close call between the other three designers. Completely shocked by the judges decision. UGLY UGLY UGLY.

15 Daisy { 12.24.12 at 2:06 pm }

Kim @14 I didn’t watch this so I might be completely wrong , but SOMETIMES, the artsy ones, (and chefs) that seem to have MADE IT have their heads stuck up their own bums and perhaps don’t have a good view from there. It’s called being pretentious. Rememeber the story of The Emperors New Clothes.

16 Daisy { 12.24.12 at 7:33 pm }

Gabby was that you in my shop today, wearing white linen pants? Thin, more than 172cm (qualifying for Australia’s top model), brunette and beautiful.
I told you I would recognise you by the linen pants.

17 Jen { 12.24.12 at 9:57 pm }

Oh wow, I honestly thought her collection was far and away the best (and obviously the best), I’m really surprised other people hated it so much.

I kind of didn’t want her to win because she was an eliminated contestant and she wasn’t really my favourite during the competition, but you really couldn’t ignore how good her collection was- I was surprised, I thought it was going to be bad. I was shocked at how good it was. It may be ‘weird’ all together but you could tell there were also beautiful wearable pieces mixed in with the avant garde stuff that people could easily buy and wear off the rack. I actually didn’t think it was that out there in the grand scheme of fashion shows.

I think Leah and Jamie (Jamie especially) have a very Australian flavour- youthful, fresh, modern and unfussy, and Liam is clearly very talented (I thought he was going to win before I saw the episode). Honestly I thought they all did a really good job, but I thought Christina is a worthy winner for sure. I don’t see how the linen thing is an issue- in real life lots of fabric is crushable and easily wrinkled, but clearly you would want it to look pristine on the runway.

18 Denise Morgan { 12.27.12 at 2:12 am }

I can’t believe that the ugliest collection won. Every piece of every other collection was beautiful and wearable. Her designs made the models look heavy, boxy and cumbersome yet she came back when she didn’t outwardly earn it having been eliminated already and won. I have to wonder why?

19 Matt { 01.01.13 at 9:19 pm }

I thought her collection was head and shoulders better than the other three. Far more interesting, and plenty of ready to wear pieces mixed in. I’m really surprised to see the reaction from so many people.

20 passerby { 04.07.13 at 9:50 am }

I absolutely loooove Christina. I was rooting for her since the beginning. Her collection stood out the most! The other contestants are yeah pretty but lacks originalitXy.

21 Lindy { 04.21.13 at 8:07 pm }

I can’t believe the comments from most of the people on here. Stop your damn whinging. Christina’s collection was heads and shoulders above the rest. None of the others had a whole collection that was interesting or original. It was so blatantly obvious she was the winner as soon as her collection hit the runway, and the judges obviously thought so too. It was visually stunning and also wearable. Well for those who go in for something a little more funky and different versus mainstream commercial. Yawn….

22 El naif { 09.15.13 at 2:07 am }

Christina’s was by far the most risky, conceptualized from abstract thoughts. I don’t need to be educated in fashion to understand she was going for a stylized Japanese aesthetic and 60’s polished geometry. If I were a chick with some cash, I’d completely die for getting to wear her outstanding pieces: tops, pants, coats, etc.