The Block Showing It Knows How To Hit The Refresh Button

It was a big risk for NINE to commission two series of The Block for 2013 as they could be risking viewers getting fatigued of the format.

However it appears the producers have been thinking of ways to keep the series fresh. First they went with an All Stars series to start soon.

Now it looks like the fourth season will see the couples renovate an apartment block/motel.

The Age reports:

FANS of The Block, this is a spoiler alert. Look away now if you don’t want to know what happens next.

Despite the best efforts of Nine to keep the future of its top-rating reality show a secret, Fairfax Media can reveal the network’s plan for the biggest twist in the history of the series. Not even the contestants are in on the reveal yet.

In a bid to reboot the show’s ageing formula, next year’s crop of amateur renovators won’t be tasked with something as easy as fixing up a few derelict houses or flats.

Ratcheting up the difficulty – and, it hopes, the drama – Nine is planning to set them loose with power tools and decorating budgets on an entire six-storey building in South Melbourne.

The task, it appears, will be to transform a drab motel into a high-end apartment tower in little more than two months.

The network refuses to discuss its plans for the 2013 series or confirm The Block will be set at the Park Street building. In fact, it won’t even confirm that Melbourne is the setting for the sixth series.

But property records show production company Watercress has spent $6.71 million for the four-star bizMotel, which closed its doors a few months ago.

It is the most ambitious and expensive project for the producers, who spent only about $4 million to buy the four South Melbourne terrace houses used in the most recent series.

Security fencing and scaffolding have already gone up around the building, with construction crews apparently stripping out the walls, fixtures, electrics and plumbing before they are handed over to the contestants. Filming is expected to begin in late January.

Each floor is about 25 per cent larger than the average Australian home, which could see them transformed into luxury penthouse-style apartments. With so much space to work with, it’s also possible more couples could be added to the standard four-couple roster seen in previous series. They could even be tasked with creating a luxury boutique hotel rather than individual units.

Secrecy is kept tight in a bid to boost hype and protect The Block‘s position as a ratings winner and advertising revenue cash cow.

More couples competing will be interesting and if there is six couples this would be the same as the new renovation show being filmed for SEVEN House Rules.

Either way more couples and an entire six storey motel block definitely makes the show different from previous seasons.

The Block to be shown on NINE in 2013.

1 Veronicali { 12.30.12 at 9:16 am }

Not sure what I think about that, apartments don’t interest me, I like the old, character houses. At least All Stars will give me my fill of that, plus the usual despair as Dan & Dani obliterate any heritage features. lol
Presumably the apartment couples will be doing even less than usual of the actual renovating, leaving more time for those insidious Challenges *shakes head*

2 A.P { 12.30.12 at 9:31 am }

Won’t be watching either sorry. These types of shows are just so boring, especially the pointless challenges ( Remember The Renovators? )
The best part is seeing the “before shots” and then tune in at the end for the auction, everything in between is not interesting to me.

3 brain dead dave { 12.30.12 at 11:13 am }

How about refreshing Scotty Cam?

He’s as stale as a bottle of …..

Ch 9 can chuck both of these shows into the mini skip. Rubbish.

4 Loz { 12.30.12 at 11:47 am }

Hmmm. Not to sure what I think either. On the one hand very interesting but on the other hand why fix something that doesn’t need fixing? And plus are they still going to have an auction if its in a motel? will someone buy the whole motel or just particular rooms? They don’t need to compete with this ch7 show, that prob won’t work as Reno Rescues didn’t work. The Block has been the number 1 renovator show for as long as I can remember, it shouldn’t have to change it’s ways. Still, it seems interesting and I of course will still be watching. Love The Block and can’t wait for all stars.

5 Georgie { 12.30.12 at 12:23 pm }

Have only seen snippets of episodes here and there of The Block, because it usually clashed with something else I was following or was on too early. I did watch Renovators though and enjoyed most of that – and the annoying parts gave me something to whinge about on the blog. I’d love to see it come back.

Isn’t it great, there’s only 360 days till Christmas!

6 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 12:41 pm }

HOUSEWORK!!!!! Fun when it’s finished. Don’t want to watch it.
ANd Georgie @ 5 YES!!!

7 Gabby { 12.30.12 at 12:47 pm }

Sounds boring to me. Bring on the cooking shows!

8 Gabby { 12.30.12 at 12:48 pm }

Meanwhile what do we think about Ridge’s exit from Bold and will Liam go back to Hope?

9 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 1:17 pm }

Firstly I am amazed that 2 hot independently wealthy, talented, heiresses only get to choose boyfriends out of Thomas and Liam. Where are the other guys in that city????
How come no-one knows about that fabulous park with the fabulous, cottage in the middle of that big city??? Someone must know about it eg cleaners and gardners at the very least, and any number of other people. That was (as JJ would say) RIDICULOUS!!!!
As for Ridge: they ought to have thought of a MUCH better excuse for his sudden departure. It was lame. The tea lady at the studio could have come up with a better reason for his absence.
And how WEIRD is the Katy scenario /She has a baby and a heart attack and goes straight home. And I thought that bouncing baby was supposed to be prem. And where is the nanny????? Especially if Katy is supposed to be physically and emotionally vulnerable.
And that just a few of the storyline weaknesses : Aren’t we nuts for watching it. Although I do record it so I don’t listen to the blaaah, blaaah, blaaah. I can’t bear to listen to them discussing each issue or event.
Also whoever gets Liam is the loser.

10 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 1:33 pm }

Oh and Forresters is a big fashion label??? Their dresses all look like off the rack from Target or Katie’s. Doesn’t a real designer want to get in there and promote his/her range?
I think the people on this site could write a better soap. Like one of those crazy story fusions we did in primary school.
Title anyone???

11 brain dead dave { 12.30.12 at 1:39 pm }

The Old And The Rootable.

I have a B&B coffee cup with Ridge on it. One side says ” I love you ,Logan”‘ the other ” I love you, Doc”

12 Calliegirl { 12.30.12 at 1:41 pm }

Hi Georgie, Yes love being reminded about next Christmas!
Re B & B – yes stupid that there only seem to be two men available! But then again, Brooke has always had to go for multiple marriages to Ridge (six or seven I think), and when she strayed it was with other men in the same family. I’m loving Deacon being back.
I had been waiting weeks for the pushing out of a window scene – and was not disappointed – Rick is just revolting. But then again I find Thomas hard to take – with his mouth full of (super large) teeth! And don’t get me started on Caroline – she only seems to have two expressions and they are both very staged.
Oh well, I guess with Ridge gone at least it gives Brooke a reason to cry in every scene – not that she needs a good reason. When they cry I always wonder why they never grab a tissue and wipe their ‘tears’ as most people would do!?
And yes Daisy, we are nuts for watching it (even though we tape it), but it is strangely addictive.

13 Gabby { 12.30.12 at 1:45 pm }

Yohh Daisy, you go for it! I agree with it all. I record as well and I can fast fwd. Why do we watch it, but never the less we do. I know, as if Ridge would take off forever because Brooke sent a text message to Deacon, after she had sex with her daughters teenage boyfriend on the balcony at her birthday party and forgave her for that! You are right about Liam, he has no balls, why do they both want him. What is going to happen when Hope finds out they didn’t sleep together on the roof top? As for Rick, slime bag, and Thomas, not much better. Where are all the good looking blokes in L.A.?
Yes, I noticed Katie went home on the same day she had the heart attack and the premmie baby, baby and all. no nanny. The baby is just stuck upstairs with an every day monitor. Crazy stuff.
Yeh, a secret cottage no one except precious Stephie knows about. Well she finally got her man. She did everything except I don’t know what. Talk about chasing a bloke, Liam didn’t stand a chance against her advances.
Trust Donna to get there JUST too late to tell Liam about his Dad’s part in getting Deacon released and Steffie knowing all about it. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!
I am glad you admit to watching it too Daisy.

14 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 1:45 pm }

Callie : Kissin’ cousins. Hey that could be the title for our soap!
I think “Brothers and Sisters has been used.
Next step and Hope should hook up.

15 Calliegirl { 12.30.12 at 1:46 pm }

Sorry Gabby I left you out. I thought the reason for Ridge’s exit extremely lame. But I think he left because of money/contract details and they were not very happy with him, so didn’t bother with a good reason.
And personally I hope Liam finishes up with Hope as she is all he deserves – Steffy is just too good for him. She needs someone who is more her equal.

16 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 1:53 pm }

Sorry RR that we’re off track from the block. Perhaps you need two blogs. The other could be UNREALITY RAVINGS. And all of the bottom feeder TV viewers (comme moi)can come out of the closet.

17 Georgie { 12.30.12 at 1:54 pm }

With a name like Ridge it’s no wonder he’s ‘the only man in town’.

Hi Calliegirl, you’ve come up with a good name for a soap – Strangely Addictive.

18 brain dead dave { 12.30.12 at 1:56 pm }

So many of the stars on B&B have had their faces renovated , I feel it’s on topic.

19 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 1:56 pm }

Maybe that shows how much we’re into The Block.
We’re discussing Bed and Breakfast.
Good one on the renos BDD. You’re so quick.

20 brain dead dave { 12.30.12 at 2:01 pm }

Both shows feature tools being used.

21 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 2:02 pm }

@20 You should get paid for these jokes.

22 Calliegirl { 12.30.12 at 2:03 pm }

I don’t think that Brooke has had much work done on her face. Unlike Taylor who has had a major renovation. And has anyone noticed how her head wobbles every time she speaks??

23 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 2:04 pm }

Are you actually that funny guy on the panel; the one that used to be on The Glasshouse??

24 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 2:06 pm }

Callie : I think Taylor stood in for Surly on Big Brother: same lips.

25 brain dead dave { 12.30.12 at 2:06 pm }

I think Hunter Tylo was in a bad car accident one time and has had some plastic surgery. But those Joker lips weren’t part of that. Gene Simmons’ wife has had a terrible lip job.

I’m like Ridge…can’t choose between Brooke and Logan.

26 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 2:10 pm }

I think Katy’s husband is Spano the hypnotist.

27 brain dead dave { 12.30.12 at 2:14 pm }

I saw Spano do his stuff in a pub in Broome in 1983. He didn’t actually manage to hypnotise anyone in the house.

I meant Brooke and Doc,above.

28 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 2:16 pm }

Gabby@8 look what you started!

29 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 2:28 pm }

Stephie to hook up with Hope. (That would show Liam)
Katy to hook up with Deakin (ha!!!) That would show what’s-his-face husband).
Brook to go back to Stephanie’s husband because she says she loves her but said “If it wasn’t Deakin it would have been someone else” (Slap her face for that remark, even if the writers would make it true.)
Oh and a Ridge imposter with teeth bigger than Thomas’s to come back and marry Taylor because doesn’t he do that if he breaks with Brook …..this could work.

30 Reality Raver { 12.30.12 at 2:52 pm }

LOL – I am off to visit my 94 year old grandmother this week and B&the B is her favourite show so thanks guys for giving me the update as it willl give me something to chat about.

31 A.P { 12.30.12 at 5:43 pm }

I’m another one addicted to B&B and I also have 2 coffee cups @11 BDD ( from Coles ). One says ” You’re my destiny Ridge” and the other says ” I love you Doc, I love you Logan “.
So lame I know!
I agree, the reason gave for him leaving was so pathetic after all the other stuff he forgave Brooke for! He should have been presumed dead in a plane crash or something! I heard he left because he was sick of all the good story lines going to the younger stars and he wasn’t getting all the attention.
And, Katie was pregnant in real life and has to leave the show for a while to have her real baby.
We rarely see the tv babies, they are always so good asleep in their rooms and then reappear as teenagers in a couple of years! Whatever happened to RJ? Why wasn’t he at his parents’ wedding?
Sick of the Hope, Steffi, Liam triangle already, why do I watch? No idea!

32 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 5:51 pm }

I’d like a cup with a big chip on the rim, that says Thomas’s cup.

33 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 5:59 pm }

And AP wasn’t RIDICULOUS how they came home and immediately put the baby away. As If.

34 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 6:04 pm }

35 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 6:04 pm }

I think the B&B must be on a very tight budget and that’s why they play musical beds with the same cast and have boring fashions. Must say, I don’t mind seeing Deakin back. Hope they give him some action. I’d love him to steal Katy’s heart. Serve Bill right.

36 Loz { 12.30.12 at 6:18 pm }

I thought this topic was about The Block and not Bold and Beautiful?

37 A.P { 12.30.12 at 6:55 pm }

It is, sometimes we get off the track sorry!

38 Calliegirl { 12.30.12 at 6:57 pm }

Thanks A.P. I thought Katy might have been pregnant in real life because she has put on more weight in face etc. Also usually after having a baby on TV the mother has her figure back straight away, but Katy still has a baby bump!
Yes Loz it is a post about what is happening on Masterchef next year, but has gone off on a tangent as B & B is happening now and M/C won’t be until next year. It’s good we have a topic that is interesting a lot of posters.

39 Gabby { 12.30.12 at 8:23 pm }

BDDAVE @ 11 The Old and the Rootable, love it!
I used to think Taylor was gorgeous until she started having her lips done. She looks ridiculous now.
Now Ridge is out of the way, who is going to be the first guy to get Brooke in the sack? My guess, Bill or Deacon!

40 Daisy { 12.30.12 at 10:15 pm }

Trivia: When I got home Step by Step was on and there was a v young Deakin (SP?) in a regular part.Wasn’t sure it was him but googled. His name is Sean Kanan.
BDD Rolf has been reading this today and laughing at your jokes.

41 Veronicali { 12.31.12 at 8:24 am }

I reckon Katie and Liam will get together. This show needs Deacon the Hotness back fulltime but I believe he’s on another soap. He and Steffy could get up to no good together. So Steffy would be Hope’s stepmum, and Liam her uncle. heh.

42 Gabby { 12.31.12 at 8:36 am }

Hey Veronicali @ 41 I like it, totally new slant on things but totally feasible. Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Would love to see Katie and Liam, that would show, try to control everyone Bill! As for Stephie becoming Hopes step mum, bring it on.

43 Daisy { 12.31.12 at 12:43 pm }

V@41 Brilliant idea.

44 brain dead dave { 12.31.12 at 2:44 pm }

Back to The Block. It’s disappointing that with All $tars the producers are again sending the same message as last year- that only young, generic white people renovate….or pretend that they can.

45 Daisy { 12.31.12 at 3:00 pm }

BDD Then they are really missing out on some diversity because as with cooking, people from other countries bring very different styles and tastes in decor. Mind you I don’t think their budget would allow for Kashmiri or Turkish silk carpets over the floor and the walls.
I have been in a yurt. I MIGHT watch if they brought in some different ethnic backgrounds if only to see the wild decors.